February Weather - Did the Groundhog see his shadow?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yayyyy, Adina!!! ^_^

LOL Crissy!

Ooo, I haven't looked at the articles yet. I'll do that next. :-) Are you feeling any better, Kelli?

I'm sorry the news from the lawyer wasn't any better, Rann. :-( We're still praying for you!

I love the silhouette photo, too, Celia. :-)

You all be careful out there!!! I'm glad your DH came back home, Joey.

We're actually NOT getting any rain today! That makes a nice change. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CST (34 min ago)
Temperature 50 °F 10 °C
Dew Point 45 °F 7 °C
Humidity 83%
Pressure 30.00 in 1015.9 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir NW 310°
Ceiling 1200 ft 366 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 46.0°F / 7.8°C

Rest of today Mostly cloudy in the late morning and early afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 60s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Crissy, LOL over the Superbowl forecast!

Rann, I hope things get better for you. You're in my prayers.

Adina, I'm glad you got the waterpipe thawed out, especially without having to call the plumber. If it's anything like here, it's at least $50 just to show up at the door. Why was the pipe not better protected when the house was built? Has it been colder than ever?

Celia, thank you, I'm glad you liked the article. The chaparral is probably my favorite plant community around here. DH says that his favorite is riparian because of the shade, but riparian doesn't have all that many flowers. I like the visual sensory overload of the chaparral flowers and shades of green.

I've still got some itch but it is less, and the hives have pretty much gone down. Actually, the hives themselves I don't care one way or the other about. It's the itch that bugs me.

It looks like a good day for most of us to stay home. We got almost 1/4" of rain since some time in the night and it looks like it could rain all day. It's one of those dark days when we have to turn on the lights even though we have scads of windows in this house.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PST on February 05, 2010
51 °F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 49 °F
Wind: 9 mph from the ESE

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluuuu! Well we have pure sleet at the moment. 4" of snow/sleet on the ground already. They've changed the accumulation amount to "WITH TOTAL SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES." Way better than 15"-21"! :D But I'm not sure the sleet is better.

Kelli, What a marvelous article! Loved it! Altho, I must admit (LOL at myself) ~ the video set my vertigo 'buzzing'. ;) When I sit in that side of the vehicle I generally watch the view, but I wanted to see the roads, too. BIG Mistake! LOL! :D So I was concentrating on the music & trying Not to watch the road. ;) Glad the itch is abating..it can be so annoying.
Adina, So very glad that you got you pipes unfrozen by yourself! :D YAY! The plumber that you got the last time should have put some sort of insulation over it. Maybe he was wanting to get some more money from ya! You go girl! :D
Dyson, Sounds like you're settled in for the week end. ;)
Marylyn, DH said that the brine solution that VA puts on the road wasn't working too good & he was more afraid of being stuck at work than anything. :) I am thrilled that he desided to come back home! :)
Rann, prayers going out to you~~~~~ Yes, Geothermal heat would be So very nice & inexpensive! ;) LOL! Could you pipe some over, Please?! :D

Well, I think I need to put out some more bird seed....BBL
Joey

(early this morning)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Joey, I guess I should have put in a disclaimer. There is a rollercoaster at the California Adventure (part of Disneyland) called Mulholland Madness. It is a very twisty rollercoaster. That particular stretch of Mulholland in the video (the first 1/2 to 2/3) is probably the most twisty stretch of the whole road. We usually take this route when we come home from the beach, so when we get into the car I say, "Are you ready for some Madness?" When we get to the guard rail at minute 1:20 on the video, if I'm not filming a video, I say, "Let the Madness begin."

When my parents were out here, we took them on a very winding and scenic road called See Canyon. We thought they would like it but I guess my mom didn't like it. DH said that she had her eyes closed. I don't know if she didn't like the height or if she was getting car sick. She never said anything about it. I do not like heights at all, but I feel o.k. in the car.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It just turned to snow here....

Ric

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Deep Snow not going any wheres - good thing there is no need. Sunlight fading again.

(Zone 5a)

Adina - Yay! glad you got the pipes thawed out :-)

Kelli - so glad you're feeling better.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We have about 1 and a half to 2 inches of snow on the ground and will probably have at least another inch by end of day tomorrow.

Gravel roads are slicker than snot and I ended up in a ditch coming home after work. It was only for a few seconds since it was a shallow ditch so I was able to drive out but it was a hair raisining experience getting there. lol. Came around a curve and I don't know if I had my foot on the brakes or what but next thing I knew I was fish tailing all over the road, hit the ditch, came out and did just fine afterwards. lol. Bad thing is I had it in 4WD since I was having trouble with hills. lol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Eek!!! I'm glad you're ok, pepper!!

It wasn't the first time I was sliding around today. I slid all over the place going to work this morning too. LOL.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We have maybe an inch of slush...
The temps are hovering right at freezing..
We are RIGHT on the border of 'slide and don't slide' on the radar.

Got a lot done on the Project today.
It WILL work!
So tomorrow we should be about finished.
The bad part about these projects is the learning curve.
Then like putting together a Sauder Entertainment Center you never do it again.... lol!

Ric

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sure glad I live in "warm" Minnesota.
I was outside a little bit ago. Snow is still soft & melting. 32º
Flurry now & then.

A couple stopped by a few days ago & visited with us. We showed them the shop & some sample things we have.
Today in the mail came her drawing for a new kitchen. It is huge!
Tonight I started drawing it up. Hope to have an estimate out by Monday.

My son bought a laptop today. We need to get a person out here to hook up the wireless internet for it. We install permanent wiring when we added to the house.
Our internet comes through the air from a tower about 12 miles away. There is a little dish on top of the house. Then it's fed into the house the same as cable. Now we need to have the wires connected for the different hook up places.

It's been a bummer having only 1 computer hooked to the internet.

We've been busy working on the kitchen for the townhouse. Coming along very good. I'm doing a lot of sanding!

Hey pepper, stop by & I will give you "Driving in snow & ice course". Of course it's free to DG members. LOL!

I like the Super Bowl forecast. I might watch it a bit. I don't like Saints coach's attitude of killing the quarterback. Kind of unsportsmanlike. They beat the Vikings by playing dirty.
So not really into the game.
I would laugh if one of their stars had to leave because of injury, but not wishing that on anybody.

People are signing up for KY RU already, even though it's not until September. It makes a real nice vacation if anybodies looking for something different to do on their vacation.
This will be the 3rd year for me & DW to be there.
Here's the link if anyones interested.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072263/

Have a sleepy night,
Bernie

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, I am waaay behind--too much to comment on but I have read all the posts!
I just echo everything Joey said in her post above.
Rann: prayers continuing.
My weather is same as Crissy's so no need to re-post. I will be at the hospital today sitting in the waiting room with my daughter and son while their father (my ex) has surgery. He fell in the wee hours yesterday and broke his hip--laid on the the floor for about 10 hours until my son found him. He lives alone and couldn't move to get to his phone.

I hope you all stay warm and safe during the winter storm. Nothing here but a bunch of rain, so far. Not raining now,though.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Nothing is moving anywhere near here the snow is deep. I guess I will try to shovel in a bit but I think we should start some coffee first.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin'! We still have electricity, but don't ask me how! It just started to snow again, so maybe the sleet/freezing rain is finished. I haven't been out to measure yet, but it looks like we have about 6" of thick, heavy, crusty stuff. But it's beautiful! :)
Snow: 30°F
Feels like: 30°F
Barometer: 29.5 in
Dewpoint: 28°
Humidity: 93%
Visibility: 3 miles
Precip in last hr: 0.02 in
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:22 AM
Sunset: 5:53 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Dyson, Nothing is moving here, either, except the critters.
Ric, LOL! about the Sauder Entertainment Center! :D
Pepper, Glad that it wasn't a deep ditch...be safe!
Mau, How's your weather this mornin'?
Bernie, Glad that you have another contract! :D

LOL! I just looked outside & saw Jack w/ his nose in the snow hunting for something. My guess is it's deeper than 6", need to go measure. I also need to go start clearing off my car, but guess it will have to wait until tomorrow. No point in clearing away the snow/sleet/frozen rain until it quits. :)

Have a good day all!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Started snowing again - got lots of kerosene and food but the beer is running low. May have to trek on foot if I can find any stores open.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's the pantry with wine storage that we finished yesterday.

25º with light snow this morning.

I was out in the shop a 5:45 AM. Put together 5 base cabinets. Kitchen cabinet boxes are done. More sanding face frames later today.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

19° F this morning under cloudy skies. Highs in the low to mid 20's forecast for the next 10 days.

The weather forecasters got it right this time. We got the 2 inches of snow they were calling here, while it's really piling up the further south you go.

Looks like a good weekend to hibernate. Stay safe and warm everyone!

Photo: Sunset at Presque Isle State Park taken a few years ago.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Pattern on that wood Bernie!
Nice choice and well worked!

Well amounts vary widely around here.
The further north in Ohio you go the deeper it is.
The freeze line was basically on us for most of yesterday.
We got maybe 5" tops..... up in Greenville near where Marcy lives 14+ inches.
Dayton, where we were going to help w/ a move today, about 8".
We all got the same basic amount of precip.... they just got colder earlier.

Nice thing about growing bamboo is we have a readily available source of tall canes.
Our satellite was out due to snow splattered on it.
Took a 25' cane out and brushed it off.....

Roads are snow covered an slick.
I haven't driven but have been watching what little traffic there is moving about 20 MPH on the main road.

Sun is attempting to break out now. and the winds are picking up.

Stay Safe!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful e_b!

The bad thing about growing 'boo is occasionally it ends up on the ground blocking everything.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Not to worry though this is Northern China Bamboo and will shake it off and probably be back up in a few hours.

Still snowing but it's the light fluffy stuff.
Now for the Arctic Blast!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Looks bleak at Presque Isle, E_B.

Bernie, it looks like they'll be keeping you out of trouble for some time now.

Ric, neat pictures, but I'm glad I'm here.

We got 1.81" of rain since Thursday night/Friday morning. It is supposed to rain some more today.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PST on February 06, 2010
55 °F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 53 °F
Wind: Calm

This is a picture my sister sent of their driveway etc. She lives just north of Pittsburgh.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Stopped snowing - shoveled for awhile - went to the store.

Shoveled some more.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 4:16 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Did you pick up ore beer ?

Minnesota Gophers finally won a road game at Penn State. Officials were trying to take it away, but Penn State couldn't take advantage of it.

I'm back to working on the new job plans & estimate.

Wheres the Arctic blast going to come from ? It's still 34º here.
And I am happy to say, we send our weather your way.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Got beer and the DW announced she wanted pork chops for dinner.. Three or four more trips out to the drive and it will be clear.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Don't shovel to hard, we don't need you having a heart attack.
Glad you got more beer.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

No snow here, thank goodness, but it has been overcast and dreary all day. We are supposed to have a wintry mix on Monday.
Sounds like a bunch of you are really getting the snow! Dyson, did you get those pork chops for the DW?

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Same snow here and it's getting bigger hour by hour! We're having a big snowstorm , the wind is blowing very hard and is drifting the snow .
Kelli, you asked the right question ... yes it was colder than usual, but we can expect these kind of temps in our country, so they had to insulate the pipes or put them underground somehow. It hasn't been that cold for 30 years, so they didn't bother to take better measures to protect the pipes...now that we know, we'll take care of that .
Joey, the plumber was supposed to come on another day to insulate the pipes, but we just didn't expect such freeze so soon.
Ric, so much snow at your place!
Here's one from a few days ago when it was sunny...part of the garden and the field with doggies footprints!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

HI, Mau!
This is part of the garden :)

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Our little pine tree.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The other pine tree, more footprints and snow on the roof.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Sharon, I forgot to comment about Pea's dress...hysterical!LOL
E_B, awesome photo!
They are the ones who made the footprints!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

More snow coming in sometime tomorrow night.

Gravel roads are still slushy and slick today. I almost hit the ditch again in the same spot as yesterday but turned my wheel as far to the lef as I could to keep out. It worked and after I straightened up stuck it back in 4WD ( was trying my luck in 2WD lol) and went on and had no more trouble. lol

31*
Feels like 25*
Wind: From NE at 7mph

Cloudy with temperatures slowly falling to near 27F. Winds light and variable.

Winter Storm Watch for Lafayette, MO
from 6 pm CST, Sun., Feb. 7, 2010 until 12 am CST, Tue., Feb. 9, 2010

Issued by The National Weather Service
Kansas City/Pleasant Hill, MO
3:59 pm CST, Sat., Feb. 6, 2010

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY EVENING FOR THE LOWER MISSOURI RIVER VALLEY.

* TIMING AND AREAS AFFECTED... SNOW WILL BEGIN TO OVERSPREAD AREAS ALONG AND SOUTH OF A KANSAS CITY TO MOBERLY LINE SUNDAY NIGHT... CONTINUING THROUGH THE DAY ON MONDAY. THIS STORM WILL IMPACT THE MONDAY MORNING COMMUTE ACROSS THE KANSAS CITY AREA.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS IN EXCESS OF 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS PORTIONS OF WEST CENTRAL AND CENTRAL MISSOURI... AS WELL AS EASTERN KANSAS BY THE TIME SNOW TAPERS OFF MONDAY EVENING. WITH SUCH A LARGE AREA OF SNOW EXPECTED AND THE IMPACTS OF TWO SEPARATE STORMS... AMOUNTS MAY VARY ACROSS THE WATCH AREA.

* IMPACTS... TRAVEL WILL LIKELY BECOME EXTREMELY DIFFICULT WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOW AMOUNTS CREATING SNOW PACKED ROADWAYS. WINDS WILL OUT OF THE NORTH MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING TO 20 TO 25 MPH AND MAY ALSO CAUSE DRIFTING OF THE SNOW

.A COMBINATION OF TWO STORM SYSTEMS COMING TOGETHER OVER THE CENTRAL PART OF THE COUNTRY BY MONDAY WILL LEAD TO A DAY LONG SNOW EVENT ACROSS THE LOWER MISSOURI RIVER VALLEY. THE SNOW MAY BEGIN AS EARLY AS SUNDAY... BUT SHOULD NOT INCREASE IN INTENSITY UNTIL SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY. AT THIS TIME IT APPEARS THE HEAVIEST BAND OF SNOWFALL WILL BE SETTING UP ACROSS AREAS FROM KANSAS CITY TO MOBERLY MISSOURI... SOUTHWARD... WITH A SECOND AREA OF HEAVY SNOWS EXPECTED ACROSS NORTHEAST MISSOURI MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Cloudy 18° F and a bit windy tonight. We had a mostly sunny day after a cloudy start this morning.

We have a unique visitor at a farm just outside of town. It's a adult snowy owl, rarely seen in this part of the country. I went up and had a look at it this afternoon and it was too far away for a decent photo but several people who were there had spotting scopes set up so I got a nice close-up look at it. Birders have been coming from as far away as WV to see it.

adinamiti...........Your weather looks just like mine.

ric...........I didn't realize your bamboo grew that tall. I bought a pot of it at a garden club sale in spring of last year but never got it in the ground. If it survives the winter I'll plant it this spring.

Kelli.........The photo is of the ice dunes that form along the Lake Erie shore in winter. We were far enough north so we only got a dusting of a couple of inches from the big storm.

Bernie.........Great work, as usual.

early_bloomer

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

e_b the P. 'Niger' grows about 15' tall here.
The Yellow Groove is mainly in the upper teens but many are pushing mid 20's now.

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Adina: lots of doggie tracks there! LOL
Pepper: keep that truck in 4WD, girl!
Ric, isn't bamboo extremely invasive?
EB; so sorry you weren't able to get a pic of the snowy owl. That would have been something! At least you got to look at it close up through the 'scope. :o))

Same old weather here: damp and not much, if any, sunshine but at least we don't have 2ft. of snow like some of you do! Y'all stay safe and warm!
right now it is 32F but feels like 28F. Heading for a high of 46F Tonight we will have a light wintry mix late with a low of 31F. Rain on Monday with a high of 38F.

Hi, guys! No more sunny weather here...We'are having a snowstorm going on here since yesterday and we can't get out of the street. Tomorrow I'm working second shift and I hope we can shovel in the morning if the snowstorm stops. They said it'll end tomorrow morning, so we'll see.
We are OK, we have water, heat and food, so we can stay here for a few days!LOL The doggies houses were almost covered with snow and I had to shovel a lot so they can get in there OK. They seem to have gathered in the big one and in Trica's dog house too. I'll post some pics.

Here are the dog houses this morning.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Front yard.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Front gate, outside on the street.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The street.

Thumbnail by adinamiti