February Weather - Did the Groundhog see his shadow?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Heading Out before the Storm gets here....

Ric

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL Joey they can't say what the weather is doing while it's doing it.

I should post that over here, but where did it come from, and where did I post it? LOL!! Just the way I feel this morning, I'm in a very fowl mood.

Oh my Marilyn! I'm glad she wasn't hurt and was smart enough to bail out of that car!

Juju is growing like a weed!!
Peanut is so pretty in her Valentines Dress!!

This isn't the same article, but it's a pretty good one to describe this big storm:

"A large area of snow will fall Thursday over the Plains as a large winter storm begins to take shape. A broad area of 1-3 inches will extend from North Dakota to Oklahoma. Within this broad area, a swath of moderate snow of 3-6 inches is expected across central Kansas into Missouri by late in the day. Even through paralyzing snow amounts are not expected, there will be travel slowdowns as temperatures hang right around freezing causing slick roadways.
Heavy, possibly flooding, rainfall is expected along the Gulf Coast as moisture moves north. Just because roads will not be icy in this area does not mean that travel will be easy. In the heavier rain, watch out for ponding on roads and a few flooded roads.
In all, it will be a poor day to travel across most of the middle of the country with everything from snow to flooding rain likely.
Story by AccuWeather.com Meteorologist Adam Douty."

Here's another article:
"A major winter storm is taking shape from the Midwest to the mid-Atlantic for the end of the week. Snow over the Plains is expected to be light, but it will be enough to cause travel headaches from Oklahoma City to Rapid City to the Twin Cities. However, bigger issues will be found farther south where inches of rain could fall and in the mid-Atlantic where well over a foot of snow could fall.
What is making this storm such a big hitter? You can trace the origins of this storm back to the western coast of Mexico. This monstrous storm has a tropical connection of moisture not only from the Pacific Ocean, but from the Gulf of Mexico as well. This means a lot of precipitation over a very large area.
The other ingredient needed is cold. This is found over the Northeast due to the remnants of a cold Canadian high pressure. Putting the two main ingredients together, moisture and cold, you get the basis for yet another winter storm from the Midwest to the mid-Atlantic.
Story by AccuWeather.com Meteorologist Adam Douty"

Here's my forecast:

36.7 °F
Light Rain Mist
Windchill: 36 °F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 32 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.25 in (Rising)
Visibility: 2.5 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds:
Scattered Clouds 2500 ft
Overcast 5000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

Today
Rain. Highs in the lower 40s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. The chance of precipitation near 100 percent. Average rainfall 1/2 to 1 inch.

Tonight
Rain in the evening...then rain likely after midnight. Lows in the mid 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph in the evening... becoming north after midnight. The chance of precipitation 90 percent. Average rainfall 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

See ya'll later!!!

I found the article!!

"The mass of rain gathering over Texas is heading to the north and east, where most of the storm will fall in the form of heavy snow during the second half of the week into the first part of the weekend.

Have the snow shovels and the plows ready, as people from the Plains to the Midwest and the mid-Atlantic are the targets of this new big, bad boy.

The storm will hit the High Plains first through Thursday with moderate snow. From Thursday night into Friday, the snow will roll into the Ohio Valley. Friday into Saturday, snow will spread into the southern Great Lakes, the central Appalachians, the mid-Atlantic, and the Interstate-95 corridor.

Schools will close, plans will be foiled, and flights will be canceled. Some roads could close from the Virginias to Maryland, Delaware, northwestern North Carolina, southern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Motorists should be prepared for snow, slush, and icy spots.

Recall that much of this area was slammed by the Christmas week blizzard. However, other areas and cities will join in on the disruptions as well, from Chicago, Omaha, Kansas City and St. Louis to Indianapolis, Dayton and Pittsburgh.

Once again, areas from Roanoke to Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City will be in the heart of the storm. These locations have already received two to four times their normal snowfall so far this winter.

While the storm will start off with wet snow, it will transform to a blizzard as winds increase, drawing cold air farther and farther south. A freeze-up and blowing and drifting will become a problem for the second half of the storm as a result."

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

If any of you know Susan/Elaine (I01) and her guide dog and long time companion Kota...

It's Kota's Time... recent health issues compounded w/ old age... she'll Cross the Bridge tomorrow.

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, my, that is so sad, Ric. I know that Kota will be greatly missed by Susan! Does she have another companion dog ready to take up where Kota has left off?

(Zone 7a)

Mau, how scary!!! So glad she didn't get hurt!

Joey and all, stay warm!

Ric, I'm sorry to hear that. My sympathies are going out to them.

Crisyy, same advice I always give you...Keep your head down!!! LOL

37.6 °F with 40º for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 38 °F
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 27 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.99 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 6500 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

I've had to have the GH door open that last few days. It's been wonderful. (Hmm..never thought I'd hear myself think of 40º as 'wonderful')

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quote from music2keep :
And we are blaming Pepper? We could blame Marylyn too! ;)[/quote]

[quote="crissyr"]What is making this storm such a big hitter? You can trace the origins of this storm back to the western coast of Mexico. This monstrous storm has a tropical connection of moisture not only from the Pacific Ocean, but from the Gulf of Mexico as well. This means a lot of precipitation over a very large area.

Gosh... I guess you could!! LOL We are certainly getting the rain that Crissy's article talked about. We received over an inch of rain yesterday, and more is on its way.

Celia, that's a GORGEOUS photo!!

Sharon, it will be so fun to finally meet you! ^_^

Marilyn, Eek!!! I'm so glad your granddaughter was ok!

I'm sorry to hear about Kota. :-(

This is pretty much what our forecast looks like until the middle of next week:

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:12am CST (25 min ago)
Temperature 50 °F 10 °C
Dew Point 46 °F 8 °C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 29.83 in 1010 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH
G 24 11 kts
G 21
Wind Dir E 100°
Ceiling 900 ft 274 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Light Rain
Remarks Pressure falling rapidly.
0.01" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 48.9°F / 9.4°C
Rest of today Cloudy. Showers likely in the morning, then a chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent in the morning decreasing to 30 percent in the afternoon.
Tonight Cloudy. Lows in the mid 40s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

(Zone 3b)

12*F Highs to 15*F
Sunrise very soon at 9:11.
Gain of 5m34seconds daylight today. It's adding up quickly w/over 5 min gain a day.
ric~I should have known it's a Sewing Room project:)
wow~that's some major storm in the forecast, crissyr.
mau~what a scary event for your gdaughter; no wonder she would rather walk to the car.
kelli~any news as to the cause/recovery of the rash? Sounds miserable.
m2keep~what mess to have to clean up; glad to know not all the fish were gone.
kwanjin~gorgous sky photo/enjoy the warmer weather:))
I'm making red accessories for the new gray kitchen countertop.
Simple plate fused w/shades of red frit.
hi to all~

This message was edited Feb 4, 2010 8:45 AM

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

hi Marylyn~how nice that you'll be meeting Sharon.

(Zone 7a)

Very pretty, Kiska.

{{{waving}}} back, Sharon!!!

I had a chiropractor appointment today and I drove over there and they were closed! This could have been a catastrophe, I could have melted in all this rain we're getting!! :-p

I am so sorry about Kota!

Kiska LOL I thought it was edible! That's really neat!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Great pics everyone! Sorry I can't comment, I've been busy with the training lessons at work and tired at home. Tomorrow is the last day when we get the final test.
still very cold here and freezing at night.

Adina

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Last I heard Susan wasn't going to get another Guide Dog.

I'll wait a while and suggest a Companion Dog.
That may be a better fit now.

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric, I don't know Susan so I am assuming she is not totally blind because she obviously posts on these websites.

Raining and colder here--don't know what the actual temp is just now. Friday is napping in my lap and I don't want to disturb him by getting up to go look at the thermometer. (He's not spoiled, is he?) My granddaughter called me this afternoon and said they were sent home early from work (in Branson) due to sleet.
:o((

Everybody in the path of this winter storm stay safe and warm!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Evenin' Folks! :D Well the weather folks have finally committed to a number...21"+!!! It's supposed to start around midnight or a little after. Accumulation for tomorrow is to be around 6"-9" of snow & sleet. By Saturday morning it should have turned to snow w/ an additional 9"-12" by Saturday evening around 10:00pm. At the very least we should get about 15", but w/ sleet in it...who knows! Yep, we're gonna hunker down. Snack foods have been bought, & the wood has been brought inside, plenty of big batteries for flashlights, etc.~btw, we're supposed to have 40 mile an hour winds with it! Nasty!

Sharon, Pea is Precious! (Mommy's little princess!) Glad to hear that all of the 'fella's' are fine & Yayaayay!! for Justin! :D I hope & pray he continues to be in remission! :D
Mau! I know she was scared to death! :-O I certainly don't blame her for walking! Oh hearing that just made my heart sink! I would walk forever! "Someone" was deffinitely with her that day. ;)
Ric, Hope your trip to Dayton went well....and am glad that you didn't wait until tomorrow! My boss just called me & told me not to even try it...she said that she would go in Sunday & feed the fish. Could I work at a better place!? I think Not! :D So sorry to hear about Kota. :(
Crissy, Roanoke is 70 miles from here...it was in the middle of the storm we had just before Christmas.
Kiska, How is Frank this evening? I hope he's still being the 'good patient'. ;) I hope that we don't lose the 'juice' at the plant this week end...I couldn't stand to lose more fish. The smell alone is enough to make you run! I have a project that I have made for myself. We have some Gorgeous Bettas & have brought it upon myself to try & breed them. Just something that I want to try...LOL! It's a little different than trout! :D What a gorgeous platter! And it looks so nice on your gray counter! :D
Celia! What a beautiful sky! :D Wow! :D Well, if I don't get on here this week end you will know that I lost power. And remember me talking about our electric bill? Well they raised the rates...this months bill is over $200! :P We sure could use some of Rann's geothermal heat!

BBL,
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I am back from the doctor. He thinks it is some kind of reaction brought on by the cold I had last week. He took a sample of my for a biopsy and had a blood test taken. (I hate those.) I also got a prescription that should knock down the itch. I hope I'm back to myself by tomorrow.

They're calling for rain tomorrow and Saturday.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PST on February 04, 2010
58 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 49 °F
Wind: 12 mph from the South

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mau, Susan is blind. Her computer reads her the text on the website pages.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Temp: 33°F
Windchill: 29°F
Winds: ENE at 6mph
Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 29° F Pressure: 30.04 in
Visibility: 3 Miles

Spitting snow occasionally but not doing much yet. Supposed to recieve 3 inches by end of day tomorrow.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau you must meet Susan.
My Mother was blind for the last 30 years of her life and Susan helped me on many occasions.

Years back she was posting about being mad about opening the wrong can.
W/in weeks the Subscribers had bought her a Bar Code Reader and many other items for the visually impaired.
She's an awesome lady and Kota is a legend here.

They are still locking down the Forecast... still under a Warning

Ric

You can keep the warning. We just have an advisory. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll keep our warning and raise you Joey's WARNING!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL!!!! :D

Nah, you can have both. I'm feeling generous. :~p

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

But you've shared so much w/ Joey and I this Winter we'd LOVE to repay you.... ;-)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We've got a flash flood watch for the burn areas. You guys can have that if you want.

So many warnings! We have one too, for a snowstorm tomorrow...ugh! And, above all, my pipe has frozen again...grrrr!!!! I have to fix it when I get back home. Last night it was OK , but I had a bad feeling and thought I should let the water dripping...arrrghhhh... at 4:30 a.m. there was no water. Lucky I saw what the plumber did and if he won't be able to come, I'll have to do it myself. I know you told me and I didn't listen...but I'm blaming the weather liars who said it'll be a lower temp! Today it's sunny and I hope it'll help a bit...we'll see when we get back home....keep your fingers crossed.
Adina

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

snowing - good day to be at home.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin'! We have snow & sleet/freezing rain. DH got a mile from the house & turned around & came back home (said it wasn't worth it). So far we have an inch...and from what I can gather it's worse over at Blacksburg. He works right across the street from me.
Snow: 32°F
Feels like: 27°F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 30°
Humidity: 93%
Visibility: 1 miles
Precip in last hr: 0.02 in
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 6 mph E
Sunrise: 7:23 AM
Sunset: 5:52 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Pepper, ya sure you don't want it? LOL! :D
Kelli, I guess we'll get yours later. ;) How are your hives?
Dyson, You'll probably get more snow than us...Stay Warm!
Adina! Not Again! :-O I hope you can get it taken care of right away!...crossing fingers!
Ric? Are you a betting man? LOL! (raise her my Warning! LOL)

DH just told me that he read yesterday that Roanoke has gotten more snow than Anchorage this year, by an inch. (rather sceptical..)

Hope to be back later...
Take Care!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the weather advisory:

http://www.weather.gov/alerts-beta/wwaatmget.php?x=MOZ088

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Feb 5, 5:53 am CST

Fog/Mist

34 °F
(1 °C)
Humidity: 100 %
Wind Speed: NW 3 MPH
Barometer: 29.83" (1010.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 34 °F (1 °C)
Visibility: 1.50 mi.

I did done with rent storage clean out for 2 days already and I'm very sore and tired so my garage and house is full now! So, I have to rest for while until I get better with sore!

Rusty and Ju get good along and got muddy legs...

(Zone 7a)

Catching up still but y'all got me laughing already! LOL

Marylyn, I forgot to say thank you about my picture. So. Thank You!

33.8 °F with 40º for the high. 40% chance of snow today.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 34 °F
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 26 °F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the West
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Just finished your article, Kelli. Very nice.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It got snowing now and Dogs goes crazy playing!

It 35*...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone

It's been sunny and cold for the past few days with a pretty cold breeze blowing ... supposed to be the same until next week I think. When Hildur Eva came home from school yesterday she said it felt like summer! lol It was around 30°F .... but I'm guessing the sun had something to do with this "warmth" she felt. I couldn'd feel it .... it's just been really cold to me! lol

Sounds like a whopper of a storm heading for many of you.

Adina - sorry the pipes froze again.

Joey - stay safe! $200 for electicity seems a bit steep to me ..... good to know at least SOMETHING here is less expensive ;-)

I went to see a lawyer today ..... wasn't very reassuring. It looks like nothing short of a miracle (in the form of winning a nice sum of money in the lottery) can keep us here. So it looks like we'll be moving in about a year or two depending on how long it'll take to sell the house :-( Still hoping for some break in the job hunt but nothing yet ..... my ex hasn't had any luck either. It just all seems so totally hopeless right now ........ it's kind of paralizing ....... I could really use some prayers ......

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

a wintery mix of rain and snow will begin over south central ohio
this morning and continue in the afternoon. this mix will change
to all snow by this afternoon and continue through saturday
afternoon. snow accumulation of an inch or two is possible
today, with four to six inches expected overnight, and an
additional inch possible on saturday. total snowfall from this
system will be from six to eight inches.

if more rain than snow falls this morning and early afternoon, or
changes to all snow later than expected, total snowfall will be
cut by a few inches. regardless, significant accumulation is
expected.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Light rain/ice/snow mix coming down now.
33°

Ric

I found this Superbowl Forecast on another thread and wanted you all to be aware:

Thumbnail by crissyr
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

They just said on TWC 30,000,000 people total will be affected by the storm.

10 million will get the 12-20+" stuff.

YIKES!
Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL Crissy!

Here's my forecast for today:

43.5 °F
Light Rain Mist
Windchill: 42 °F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 40 °F
Wind: 2.2 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 2.2 mph
Pressure: 28.92 in (Steady)
Visibility: 5.0 miles
Clouds:
Scattered Clouds 600 ft
Overcast 1400 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

Today
Rain likely for the remainder of the morning...then a chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph for the remainder of the morning... increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. The chance of precipitation 70 percent. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.

Tonight
Cloudy. Lows in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Snowed in - could not go anywheres if we had to - got food, kerosene & beer - no need to go.

Yiiipppeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I thawed the pipe with the 2 hair dryers I have and we have water !!!!!!!!!!! I insulated the pipe with the parasolar I used for my car and covered all with a polystiren box . I hope it will be OK for now, but I'll still let the faucet dripping during the night.
More freezing tonight .
Adina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.