Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This is the same Lady Betty & Huldine before blooming

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Blue Angel # 2 by front steps 1st year

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry to highjack your thread Dan- had to put this Caladium of Bill's in here - as I ran through my pics

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

These just make a great pair

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

No problem! I support Bill's caladiums also. He's got the biggest corms! LOL

Your pictures are just great!!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

CLAIRE DE LUNE
1st year but you can't see her size. But that flower is huge

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I would hope a Montana would work on this side of the house. I need height

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's one I need an ID on. I think it's Etoile Violet.

Thumbnail by diamond123
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Would this be the same clematis?? or is it a different one

Thumbnail by diamond123
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I would like to see pic's of the copper trellis if you have one. I have a lot of 1/2 copper pipe?

Lori

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Here is that same clematis with the rose "Awakening" and the clematis John Paul II not yet in bloom.

Thumbnail by diamond123
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I know this is small potato's compared to the beauty's you guys have. this was just roots no steems I put it in the green house and it took off. I just put it in the ground about 3 weeks ago. It was just covered with 6-8 inches of snow and it came out great. it is Josephine.

lori

Thumbnail by LValadez
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Here is a picture with one it has a rose "New Zeland" and a buck rose "Earths Song" and two clematis, that are not yet visible. Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

Thumbnail by diamond123
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great photos, Diamond! Terrific copper trellis and unique shape.

Lori - every plant has to start out sometime. Yours will be lovely, I'm sure.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

would this work for a trellis for clematis. It works well for Morning Glorys. It may be spaced to far apart?

Lori

Thumbnail by LValadez
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Lori that would be perfect. You could run twine vertically to help it get a leg up. As for patterns I just went with imagination. It's sooo easy and you have the cooper. Smaller at the bottom and wide at the top is best but that is an opinion. They get heavy at the top as you can see from the above pictures. I'll attach my first copper trellis - which now has Rhapsody and Iceberg on it with will require another few feet. I'll put elbows on the 3 tops and go straight a few inches and the up again. It's easy - like Leggos.

Dan,
My trellis Lady Betty and Huldine is almost exactly like the one you have with New Zeland.

Dan, also click the link above I had for Carolyn. I think one MAY be the President and one Etoile Violet - one has yellowish/green eyelashes and the other reds/purples like mine above. Clematis on the web - get that link up and put the pictures side by side.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Yep, I think your right! I ordered both. Off to see the differences.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

I like the shape of that trellis! you could go as high as you wanted to. I think it's a perfect shape to hold the large tops that form.

Jack, my husband, made a beautiful copper trellis that was 9'9" until a storm with 50 MPH winds bent the top and it had to be removed.

Obviously, this is the before picture.

Thumbnail by pirl

Now Jackmanii roams all over the compost bins.

Thumbnail by pirl
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

What a beautiful trellis! to bad he couldn't fix it. Did you save it?? copper is really very easy to work with. Maybe there is still hope. I like the shape, might just use it.
Thanks

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Here is a rose "Rosanna" I can't remeber the name of the clematis, it is buried under 14" of snow right now. But if you look closely you'll see it is climbing up a old allium stalk, I just left it there.. a conversation piece.

Thumbnail by diamond123

It must be enjoying a good rest and ready to burst forth again in blooms. I can spot the spent allium head!

We did save the top and now it's a "window" of sorts for my potting bench.

Thumbnail by pirl
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Not everyone likes the look of copper in the garden. I think after a while the copper patina's and looks great. Makes great garden art. If one was creative enough, you could make sprinklers out of them and they could water the plants around them. Hmmm. Anyway's, here some more designs that look nice.

http://www.trelliscraft.com/idx.htm

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello Dan and ALL,
I just found this thread today as I lay here recovering.
( auto accident at Christmas ..broken 2 ankle bones)

I just wanted to say that I bought 3 of the patio collection Cezanne, Parisenne, and Picardy.
I go at the end of the season and picked them up in gallon containers for $1.00.
They bloom beautifully and I have put them on a fence becaus of their height.
I gotr them at English gardens in Dearborn Mich at Telegraph.
And I got 5gal. Home Run roses over at Ray Hunters on sale for $3.00.
Again I go at the end of the summer and way into November to get the things I want
but can not always afford with my plant addiction.
I got 6 of them!! They are beautiful!!
I just thought I would let you know. There are good deals in Mich. because of our economy!!
Julie

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I want a blue clematis. one that will give me a show that will bloom on new growth and would do well in Sun / Part shade. In zone 8a any suggestions.
Also
How many diffrent ones have any of you planted at once in the same seson?

Lori

Athens, PA

Kathy -

Mme Julia is 5 years old. She is planted at a 45 degree angle and an inch or two deeper than what she was in her little pot. She is one of my clems that really got me into clems. I think my Ville de Lyon is about the same age and my Jackmanii are 6 or 7 years old, although my Jackmanii were in larger pots as was Comtesse du Bouchard.

I love the Montanas, so I thought I would experiment. She is against the house as you can see and what you cannot see in my photo is that my dryer vent is about 4 feet to the left of the little pergola that Mayleen is growing on. I was hoping that I had enough of a microclimate to ensure a plant full of flowers. If I can do it in my zone - you can too..

I am not opposed to new people. I think that is how we all learn - we were all new once.

I also love to see everyone elses' pictures. Dan - I love Rosa Rosanna with the purple clem... very pretty.

Here is Comtesse du Bouchard - I am thinking of moving Negritianka next to CDB. Right now Negritianka is to the right of CDB by several feet. I think Negritianka would set off the agastache and CDB... your thoughts?

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hello everyone! Another newbie checking in here. I have been soaking up all the great info in the posts on this forum (lots more to go) and just HAD to pop in and say "Hi" and thank you. I am so excited about trying my hand with clematis this season. I have planted a few in the past but they have been from box stores and asa bad clematis Mommy, I just plunked them into the soil where I wanted them. Jackmanii has done pretty well but due to woeful neglect (no feeding and competition from the Huge buddleia its right next to) it has been less than stellar in the past few years. I realize now too, that the dry crunchy leaves late in the season is a fungal infection.

I have a number of them on order now thanks to you all and your fabulous photos, and will treat these much better. I do have a question though - for the ones planted in containers, is it better to go deeper than wide? I only ask that because I has seen so many photos on the net of clematis planted in narrow deep containers so I was wondering if that is what they prefer. For example I took this photo at a friend of mine's house in 05. This clematis is panted in a tall plastic barrel and has been there forever lol.

Susan

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Athens, PA

Susan

Welcome!

Not sure about the pots for the clematis, but it would seem the deeper pot would make more sense as the clematis roots like to be kept cool and moist during the growing season. A deeper pot is going to accomplish this better than shallow pot.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Pirl I LOVE that trellis. That is stunning and I would love to try and make one like it. And I'm with Dan on the colors we get from copper in the weather. Great colors that add so much to the dark green leaf of the clematis. Your clematis are also stunning. How old is Jackmanii ? That is huge. I also like your hydrangea!

Carolyn, so how long have you had that Montana? Darn, I've just got to try it. That is so stunning. Is that on the south side of the house?

Welcome Susan, you will learn lots here. I've never planted clematis in pots. Don't know why but I can't help you there - Dan will be of help.

I always plant at a 45 degree angle and have a couple inches of soil on top of the crown. That is so important as I quickly learned. One year I accidentally went a bit to far with my weedeater and nearly cried when I hit a clematis that had not yet bloomed for the season - but the clem came back with more stems that you could imagine. It was something about zapping it all to the ground in May that made an amazing show later in the year. It did take longer to come back obviously but the show was great.

Lori - the best darn blue I've seen is Rhapsody. It's like denim blue.

Kathy

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Carolyn! I just wish the ground would thaw a bit so I could get outside and putter.

I forgot to mention that I have ordered for spring the following fro Song Sparrow:

Arctic Queen
Betty Risdon
Franziska Marie
Rebecca (this one looks amazing!)
Josephine

And thanks to all the great recommendations and photos here I zipped in an order to Silver Star for these:

Barbara Harrington
Daniel Deronda
Florida Seboldii
Liberation
Negritiana
Triternata Rubromarginata

I have a huge climbing hydrangea growing up the side on my house that has never flowered. So I am figuring that this is a perfect trellis for the Triternatan R. to climb on. I just need to dig a huge well ammended hole for it filled with yummies.

Susan

PS. I need to figure out if there are any gardens around here to visit with clematis to see. There are a ton of daylily gardens within an hours drive (2 of the biggest in the country even!) So I'm hoping I can find clematis to see.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Kathy - I love all those trellises too. Darn! I don't have any fences I can use so I guess I will have to start thinking creatively about things to climb on. I like the fence post covered with chicken wire I read about. AND I have 3 wire compost bins that I can plant clematis on - Great idea!

Here is one of the bins with pumpkins and tomatoes growing in it last year.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Athens, PA

Kathy

I think Montana Mayleen is 4 years old. I cut her back 2 years in a row to make sure her roots were good and established and also that she send up as many shoots as possible. She is not on the South side of the house but on the Eastern side. I do have a stockade fence around my yard and as I mentioned, my dryer vent is about 4 feet or so from Mayleen. I think both the dryer vent and the stockade fence have gone a long way towards creating a microclimate.

My attitude when I first started out with this experiment was that I had nothing to lose than the cost of the plant. I have to tell you, I am positively thrilled with the results myself!

I do think if I can do this in a zone 5, absolutely you can do it in your zone!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Wowie that is one huge plant! That is such a good idea... planting near the dryer vent. Unfortunately I don't do the laundry often enough to create a microclimate lol.

Susan

Baton Rouge, LA

Susan, what size plant does Song Sparrow sell? I haven't ordered from them before.

Shihtzu is correct that my clems at this house were planted this past summer... some as late as September. The photos of all of them are in my journal, along with my other plants. I've focused on what type of plant per year with the gardens here, and last summer was the clems.

As for the Silmakivi, if you check out the photos by Victorgardener that he posted from the same plant, the blooms demonstrate the color variations. I asked him more than once if he was sure those were both SIlmakivi because I found it so unusual. I promptly ordered it after seeing the variations. I love plants that give you alternate views. I've always enjoyed my roses like that, and look forward to having some clematis that will do the same. Here's a link to Victor's photos:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/122400/

For those of you intereted in gallon size plants, here are a few other vendors where you can get them:

Joy Creek Nursery
T & L Nursery
Champoeg Horticulture

I'm sure there are others... I just need to do a little more research. They are not that difficult to find if you want to spend the money.

Baton Rouge, LA

One more thing I wonder about is the attitude expressed above that sharing the information you find through reading and research is bad. If information should not be shared by someone new to a subject or profession... should we just quit educating teachers for our children? Afterall, if they haven't got years of experience teaching children, they have nothing to share... right? New college graduates should just give up before they look for a job since they only have book knowledge and therefore are worthless. No one should, or ever does, hire someone for a fresh way of thinking, right? In fact, with that thinking, new professionals in any field shouldn't even bother learning their craft, because they couldn't possibly impart anything of value. And research... well that should be discouraged altogether because every single thing they do is from an uneducated and new perspective.

What a sad world it would be if this was the majority of thought.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2010 2:36 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.