This years order from Silver Star Vinery

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Wonderful pictures!! I alway's enjoy looking at the clematis pictures. Would love to see more. I have a feeling this year will bring many new pictures!!

Nelly Mosser

This message was edited Feb 8, 2010 7:00 AM

Thumbnail by diamond123
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Here we go - Rouge Cardinal

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The President

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Barbara Harrington

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Blue Angel

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

another Blue Angel

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Etoile Violette

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Miss Bateman

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Prince Charles

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Negritianka - A MUST HAVE clematis !

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Minuet

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Henryi

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Lady Betty B and Huldine
GREAT combo

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

tye dye

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Tye Dye close up

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Lady Betty close up

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Florida Sieboldii - another must have

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Vesuvius

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Clematis with knockouts

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

John Huxtable and Altissimo - another view

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Lady Betty B & Huldine

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

look how huge these are - 2nd year
Edited to say this is about 8 or 9 feet tall

This message was edited Feb 9, 2010 1:12 PM

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Rhapsody - a denim blue

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

With my iceberg rose

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Rouge Cardinal & tall white Phlox - David

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The President with catmint

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

More later - I'm worn out.

Athens, PA

Kathy

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

How does Altissimo do for you? I have looked at it and would really like to put it in....

I put in Negritianka just last year myself. I love the dusky purple color.

I love the Rouge Cardinal with the David phlox - a really beatiful combination. I think the phlox sets off the RC even better than the clems with the roses...

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Very nice pictures Kathy. Most of those are just planted within the last 2yrs aren't they?? Your doing something right that's for sure!

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow, I'm loving all the pictures.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

altissimo looks real close to home run, I have home run. Maby another John Huxtable for Home run!

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.37479.1

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Outstanding! And that is supposed to be a creep year.

Taylorsville, KY

Those pictures sure helped with the winter blues I'm having these days.....nice nice nice !

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You guy's seem to know a lot about clematis. I am going to give them a try. Mine are very small they have been in the ground for about 6months and are very small. Do they grow fast? I know they say they may not bloom very much the 1st year. But as far as the foliage does it grow fast? Also what keeps it on a trails or Arber? Does it attach its self like other vines are do you have to attach it with some kind of support. Do all clematis vines die back to the ground in the winter? What can I expect? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Lori

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Lori, it takes 2-3 years for a clematis to establish itself. If you bought a small plant then you have a while to wait. Over at Silver Star, Debbie grows them out for a long time and when you get them they are ready to take off. Check out the root balls above that Kathy was so kind to post. They are huge. Cuts your waiting time in half! You will pay a little extra for that, but it's well worth it. Please keep in mind when ever you plant a new plant there will be an adjustment time for the new roots to establish, but with a root ball like you get from Debbie you will be assured a greater success ratio.

Most Clematis will wrap themselves around a trellis, but a little helping hand when they get started is a good idea, just lead the plant to the trellis or put a stake in the ground leading to the trellis or fence or whatever you have. Not all clematis die back to the ground.

Some need to have the old wood to bloom. It depends on the clematis. It's good to remember the name of the clematis so you know which type you have. Type three is trimmed all the way to the ground.

Baton Rouge, LA

Lori, you are in a climate that wouldn't require the larger root ball for planting, even in fall. I have some of Debbie's vines, and they are indeed nice. But, I also have had excellent experience with plants as small as 3-1/2" from Donahue's. JeanneTX (who gardens near you in Texas) and many others who post on DG, even from the northern climates (like Pirl and Venu209), have also had great experiences with the smaller clematis as well. Don't be scared off from a vendor if they are offering 3-1/2", 4", or quart-size clematis, as they are 2 years or more in age at the time you will be receiving them. The 2-1/2" size are, however, too young to plant in the garden. If you would like some suggestions of cultivars that would do especially well for you, I suggest you take a look at the journal or past posts of JeanneTX. She has photos of many posted and she lists the vendor on most as Koi Garden. I don't think Koi is still in business, but they have always sold 3-1/2" clematis. Her journal is located here: http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/JeanneTX/44160/

Debbie is a great place to shop, but so is Garden Crossings, Brushwood and Donahue's.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2010 8:12 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have Josephine & avant garde and one other I got
from lowes. Josephine and avant came from bluestone? I did not pay a lot for
any of them me being new to this I did not want to be out a lot
of money if the did not thrive. We have had a record snow fall over a foot
and very wet winter it has made me very worried about every thing in my garden
and all the money I have put into the ground this last summer and fall. We have no power right now so
I am on my I phone posting. I know they are not real easy to grow and sleep creep and leap. I was not sure if this meant bloom or grow. They are not in direct sun they are in the sun morning and shade from 1 on. I want a few more but ones that will bloom oposite of what I have now. Blond I love but to just see some progress is more important. Thanks for you in put it helps newbies like me be more succesfull. Any ideas greatly appriceated.
Lori

Baton Rouge, LA

Lori, I know the snow story. This is the view right now out into my side garden. Yep, still snowing here in south Louisiana. Crazy!

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am 42 and I have only seen this kinda snow
when we went to Idaho. Never in Texas 1 to 2 inches one day gone
It all usualy gone by noon.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Carolyn,
Thanks for the comments. I love mixing the clematis with out plants. You're right, that tall David phlox made for a stunning show since it is around 2.5 feet tall and sturdy branches. Altissimo has been slow going and it was from Palatines - my favorite rose grower for older zones. But I've see this rose really produce and the pictures won't do it justice. The red is so vivid and I would recommend you try it.

Lori,
There is so much to learn and love about clematis. While I can't speak for growing in Texas I can say that in my mind ANY plant that has a larger root system is better than a smaller root system. I'm not professing to be an authority but I do know a great deal from reading, research, and doing things myself. I am a huge fan of Silver Star and other companies do sell nice clematis and even cheaper clematis but proof for ME is in the root balls you see posted. I think if you tried each company you could decide for yourself, as I did. I also value Palatines as my favorite rose seller. But I'm not in the hotter zones and I'm also not an authority on that either. You will learn from trial and error and be better off for doing it that way. I have over 60 and still ordering.

Dan,
I need to check out home run. Does it have issues like black spots, etc? Of course you are excellent in upkeep on the roses. I'm about red rosed out! I'm getting into the freelander roses this year. My climbers are taking over. I need to build more trellis.

Also Lori,
A good trellis that isn't expensive is a 6 inch post about 10 feet long. Randomly staple chicken wire around the post so it waves and adds body to the post. The clematis will love latching their arms around this easy method and will height you need. They don't need that much support width at the bottom - but need to expand on the tops.

Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.