Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: This years order from Silver Star Vinery, 1 by lilyfantn

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lilyfantn

In reply to: This years order from Silver Star Vinery

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of This years order from Silver Star Vinery
lilyfantn wrote:
Hello everyone! Another newbie checking in here. I have been soaking up all the great info in the posts on this forum (lots more to go) and just HAD to pop in and say "Hi" and thank you. I am so excited about trying my hand with clematis this season. I have planted a few in the past but they have been from box stores and asa bad clematis Mommy, I just plunked them into the soil where I wanted them. Jackmanii has done pretty well but due to woeful neglect (no feeding and competition from the Huge buddleia its right next to) it has been less than stellar in the past few years. I realize now too, that the dry crunchy leaves late in the season is a fungal infection.

I have a number of them on order now thanks to you all and your fabulous photos, and will treat these much better. I do have a question though - for the ones planted in containers, is it better to go deeper than wide? I only ask that because I has seen so many photos on the net of clematis planted in narrow deep containers so I was wondering if that is what they prefer. For example I took this photo at a friend of mine's house in 05. This clematis is panted in a tall plastic barrel and has been there forever lol.

Susan