January 2010 - The Best Is Yet to Come!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1064903/#new

San Diego Zoo (No, I haven't finished showing you my San Diego pictures. I just thought I'd spread them out some and give you a break.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Happy New Year everyone!

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 15 min 55 sec ago
65 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 26 °F
Wind: 7 mph from the NNW

Went to bed last night around 10:30, never could understand the New Year's Eve hoopla. Maybe it's because NYE parties were never part of my background. Maybe it's because New Years Day brings a touch of sadness. It is the absolute end of the Christmas holidays and the end of Christmas vacation. It's back to school or work and back to the same old same old. The only thing new is the number. I don't mean to sound negative here. There is still a lot to look forward to. :-)

some more San Diego pictures

Botanic Building at Balboa Park

Thumbnail by Kelli

inside the Botanic Building

Thumbnail by Kelli

more inside

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread, Kelli.

I will not miss the last year. People say the new year is a chance to start over. Kind of like hitting the 'reset' button. But don't we have that chance everyday?

35.3 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 35 °F
Humidity: 63%
Dew Point: 24 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph
Pressure: 30.38 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 16000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Yep, that's what I think, we get a fresh chance every day.

Cute little kitty tracks :-)

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Afternoon! Kelli! What a Gorgeous looking Poinsettia Tree! Neat-O! And LOVE the Batnoical gardens! And the Islands Do look like they are only a couple of miles away! :D
Well, we are in the deep freeze here, too, altho we won't be as cold as some of you. :) Our high for the day was early this morning at 40°...the high for tomorrow is supposed to be 28°, with some snow.
Mostly Cloudy: 37°F
Feels like: 28°F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 23°
Humidity: 56%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 17 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:38 AM
Sunset: 5:16 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

At the moment there are 2 bowl games on - 1 on each tv. LOL! I think I'll drag out a puzzle! ;)
Bernie! LOL! You're right! It certainly Was still there this morning! :) I fell asleep watching Another ball game (Tech & Tenn). Sometimes a tv in the bedroom can be a curse!
Ric, Snows like that leaves lasting memories! Reminds me of the time I was stuck in Cleveland for the blizzard of '78. Snow in the car, snow in the front door, snow in the sliding doors from the patio....Too much snow at one time is not a good thing! and the 50 mile an hour winds make it even worse. ;) I read later that the winds actually topped 80mph at the airport.
Rann, What a great pic of the girls...& I'm so glad that you enjoyed your New Years Eve! I feel sure that the girls were thoroughly amazed!
Mau! You're a party animal! LOL! What a great way to spend the evening! :D
Celia, I like the concept of 'reset'! :D And I agree...we have a chance every day. LOL! Isis looks as if she is making a run for the door! :D ( I might get you cats names straight one of these days! ;)

Well, I shall go take a look at those 2 bowl games to check on progress....
BBL
Joey

(the driveway, just before Garrett to the blade to it)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

38°, clear skies -

Thumbnail by Dyson
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Happy New Year 2010!

I has been sick again for while so I fight it again this time... It's been so frigid for every night to keep warm so as today I just almost get better after I took a hot bath and later on it coming back again cough and blowing my nose... I keep drink alot of fluids and hot soup sometime...

JuJu stay with me when I sleep all day yesterday as same way today... Rusty is worried about me that I m sick... So, Rusty was help me to play with JuJu...

Snow melt very slowly today... As this early morning was 11* and right now is 41*... More sleet on Sunday again...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

It's an absolutely gorgeous day outside and I have the lazy daisies and don't want to do anything except sit here.

49.8 °F
Clear
Windchill: 50 °F
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 32 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.18 in (Steady)
UV: 0.0 out of 16
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 410 ft

We have always gone out on New Years Eve, but this year with Dave getting laid off and all we decided that we didn't need to spend the money. So we had pizza for dinner, then Dave made a drink for each of us a few hours later, then we got the munchies and had leftover pizza, then we drank a little more, got hungry again so Dave made pancakes, then we sat down at about 10pm and watched part of a movie and the New Years Eve show with Ryan Seacrest and Dick Clark, I feel so bad for him, he's completely there but can't talk right, that has got to be frustrating. At midnight we went outside and set some fireworks off, got cold and turned on another movie and talked about going to bed, this was at 1am, but then I found myself waking up on the couch at 2:30am ish, he was also asleep so I just left him there and I went to bed.

Sounds like all of you had a good New Years Eve!

All this talk about snow! And yes, a scared driver usually make the worse drivers. When it comes to ice, I just get in the fast lane and watch the road and cars ahead of me. It doesn't snow enough here to fart with, so not too sure how I'd handle that, but rain doesn't bother me a bit, I think I'm in NASCAR! LOL

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Quote from Rusty56 :
Happy New Year 2010!

I has been sick again for while so I fight it again this time... It's been so frigid for every night to keep warm so as today I just almost get better after I took a hot bath and later on it coming back again cough and blowing my nose... I keep drink alot of fluids and hot soup sometime...

JuJu stay with me when I sleep all day yesterday as same way today... Rusty is worried about me that I m sick... So, Rusty was help me to play with JuJu...

Snow melt very slowly today... As this early morning was 11* and right now is 41*... More sleet on Sunday again...

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Oppp! I just learn that it said Quote! So, now I learned and send twice on post! lol...

Sorry, I just wonder why!...

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

happy new year everyone

last evening the kids skated on the rink that DH made and went sledding in the back yard the weather was beautifull just cold enough for a light snow and no wind so they stayed out there for over two hours, and went right back out after breakfast this morning and again after lunch, I am so glad to live in the country side where we have space for the kids to play outside what a way to start the year just amazing

mona

(Zone 7a)

Sounds like most everyone had a nice time.

Rann, can I come over and spend next year with you, too? LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

5 degrees now but we did see 15 today. LOL.

Had a nice quiet NYE. Watched some TV and divided my time between here and a few other sites.

(Zone 5a)

Celia - yes! you, Bernie and anyone else is most welcome!

Kelli - sounds like you could use a trip up here over New Year's as well ..... I know what you mean ...... we were practically bored to tears on New Year's Eve while we were in Florida (sorry!) lol We had a small campfire in the back yard and roasted marshmallows ... and lit some spraklies ...... and waited for the apple to fall ..... and I'd complain how lame this all was and wanted to go home ;-) lol There's no way to miss out on the party up here ..... and no way to be asleep before midnight! lol

Here's a link to a news story about last night's celebrations ..... footage from the bonfire we went to last night ..... you can spot Selma (along with her cousins) if you look carefully...... early on there's an interview with some foreigners who have lived here for a while ..... look for Selma behind the woman, she's in a red jacket with a gray/purple hat on ...... I'm in frame for a split second too after that interview along with the girls and my dad, but I don't think you'll be able to spot me though ;-) http://dagskra.ruv.is/sjonvarpid/4497859/2010/01/01/5/

edited to add - if you double click the frame you get a full screen view .... still don't think you'll be able to spot me though ;-)

Rann

This message was edited Jan 2, 2010 1:10 AM

Neat! (Do all young kids in Iceland wear safety goggles when using sparklers?)

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Kelli :-) I sure hope so ..... they hand them out at the fireworkssales for free (at least the ones run by the rescue crews - the fireworks sales is their biggest fundraiser, not sure about the private ones .... I don't do business with them), so there's no reason why they shouldn't. I think eye injuries are less common after they started handing them out ...... adults (at least the responsible ones) wear them too when shooting fireworks .....

Rann

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That's COOL Rann!

Rusty I've had a touch of that all week too... not a bad Cold just aggravating.

Thanks for the shots Kelli.
I love Balboa Park.
I think I could live there! lol!

I just got done transfering the Showcase of Floats and a L.A.Zoo tape.
Watched a BUNCH of Football....GO BUCKEYES!
Made some bread and we're getting ready to head for the Hot Tub.

It's currently 21° and will stay right about there all night.
I think our High was 26° and that's about it for the next 4 days.
Lows after tonight will be around 16°.
WAY too Cold for here.

But hey it's 0° in Des Moines going toward -14° w/ Wind Chills of -30°F.
I just talked to my Son he's dying! LOL!

Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL Ric!! They are under wind chill warnings there and in northern MO. I don't envy him the cold!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It's now -16.6º & they say a wind chill. I was a wimp today. Only time I saw outside air was when I held the door so DS could through out the Christmas tree.
Played on here, made up the new spreadsheets for 2010 business records.
Printed out a couple cabinet statements to take to ladies tomorrow. Yes, I have some on monthly payments! Both have given us lots of work. We are installing the fireplace mantel tomorrow. I will have pictures.
Lots of jobs will be finished in the next 2 weeks.

Well, bedtime.
Bernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New Years Eve afternoon my stepson & kids came from Iowa.

The boy next to him is his son, the girl at the table is his daughter. She is in National Guard & headed for Iraq in Feb. Lady in back is stepson's grandmother. Little blond is my granddaughter.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This is my grandson. He loves things he can put together. Always building something if he's in the shop with us. He's a real good helper at times.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Happy New Year, guys!
Kelli, thanks for starting the new thread with such wonderful pictures! I agree, first days of the New Year bring up some dissapointing that the Hollidays are over, no sadness though. We are still having one more celebration on the 7th, St John's Day. After that I'm taking off the Christmas tree and decorations .
Celia, such cute pictures of Isis! She really loves snow!LOL
Rann, great to hear you had a good time with your family! Great picture of the bonfire and the girls! Loved the video too, so many fireworks and such a huge fire, wow!
Joey, you have a lot of snow, wow!
Bernie, lots of snow at your place too, but what a wonderful view! Great photos of your family!
Rusty, sorry you are sick, but what great nurses you have!LOL Take care and get well soon!
Mau, I'm also an early riser!LOL So great you had a great time with your family!
Ric, great you were out on NYE! I don't envy that cold either!LOL
Mona, so cool you have a rink where the kids can skate!
Pepper, so cold out there!
It's been warm here and raining, 40 at noon and 20 at night. We could see the blue moon and I took some pics. We had a great time , ate and watched TV, but DD and DH went to bed early.
Here's the blue moon.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

A closer look, a bit blury...sorry, it wouldn't stay still!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Cici, Andreea and me toasting with champagne at midnight...I'm the one holding the 3rd glass!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Global Warming is kicking in!
-27.8º F this morning. Coldest we have had in many years. High temperature this coming week will be 10º on one afternoon. Most days won't get above zero.
My son was watching the weather channel. They are predicting 3 days of below freezing temps in Florida. That should raise produce prices, if there is anything to price!
Anyone down south cold ?
Canceling all things we were going to do on the trip to Mankato today. To cold!

Bernie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Yep Bernie it's too cold there this morning for any trips but emergencies I'd say.

Just remember Climate is weather over time.... and the temps are getting warmer.
Weather is just conditions over 2 weeks....
and this 2 weeks are going to be cold everywhere but the lower West Coast.

Ric

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm down south! Here's what's happening in my neck of the woods.

We're right on average. Yesterday it was 49*, average temp is 50*, the low last night was 27*, the average is 30*.

It's supposed to be sunny this morning, which it is (the weather liars didn't lie!) with increasing clouds this afternoon and evening. One weather report says we're going to be in the mid 40's today, another says it will only get into the low 30's today, we're already in the low 30's and it's sunny so I don't see how that's going to happen!

It's warming up now.
34.0 °F
Clear
Windchill: 34 °F
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 25 °F
Pressure: 30.29 in (Rising)
UV: 1.1 out of 16
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 410 ft

Rann I can't see the video, it says I need to download Windows Media Player Firefox 11, but it won't install it. I'll have to work on it later. Very interesting about the safety goggles, what a great idea! The bigger problem lies around here with houses burning down when someone's hot fireworks ash lands on the house. That problem is slowly being alleviated with new roofs having to be either metal, tile, or composition instead of wood.

Rusty get well soon! I've had some sort of sinus thing going on too, but I feel fine. LOL about the quote, I learned how to do the quote once, actually did it once, now I don't remember how. LOL

Bernie thanks for showing the pics! I know quite a few people who have done the Iraq thing.

Adina I took a picture of that moon too, but I couldn't get it to come out like you did. It was weird, cloudy all evening and when we went out to do fireworks at midnight the clouds broke just enough to get a great view of the moon. Kinda spooked us out a bit. Cool toasts, we toasted with Hawaiian Punch and Stoli Vodka, champagne gives us heartburn.

Celia that's cool Isis will play in the snow, if it's below 50* Tiga wont go out at all.

Kelli I love those pics, reminds me of when I was there and too young to care about flowers LOL (mid 20's)

Well I've got to get off of this, Dave's cousin Alice from Dallas is in town at her house way out in the sticks and is having a huge New Year's lunch, supposed to be at noon, it's after 10 and I haven't taken a shower yet and we have an hour drive to get there.

Have a great day everyone, I plan on taking my camera!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

The wind has torn a section of plastic off the porch. Will have to replace - but not today. Everyone stay safe, warm etc.

(Zone 7a)

Dyson, good thing it's only the plastic. I'd hate to have to replace part of the porch.

Loving all the stories and pics!

It feels almost hot to me outside today. After all the very cold weather, it's nice to have these temps.
37.6 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 38 °F
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 28 °F
Pressure: 30.34 in (Rising)
Visibility: 5.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 7500 ft
Scattered Clouds 9500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Watching car auctions on TV is fun. I was telling my brother in OR about a car we saw and he told me about a car he used to own. I guess I was too young to remember the Bel Air he had!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Hot and windy - 68F at 10AM on Jan. 2? Come on, get real! This hot wind needs to turn itself around and blow towards Bernie's.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PST on January 02, 2010
68 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 27%
Dew Point: 33 °F
Wind: 16 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 26 mph

more Balboa Park, most of these buildings are museums - As I understand it, these buildings were built for expositions in 1915 and 1935. They were made of temporary materials and in more recent years were reconstructed in more permanent materials. Rann, you've been to Spain. Do these look like authenitic Spanish buildings or are these exaggerated?

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is in a courtyard outside the visitor center. (They have some really cool books in the visitor center.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Thumbnail by Kelli

Thumbnail by Kelli
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluuuuu! Kelli, thanks for trying to keep us all warm with the great pics of Balboa Park! :D I love the architecture! Gorgeous!

Temp: 21°F
Feels like: 7°F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 3°
Humidity: 45%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 19 mph NW
Sunrise: 7:38 AM
Sunset: 5:17 PM
UV Index: 2 Low
We're under a wind chill advisory...ACCUMULATING SNOWS AND SUB ZERO WIND CHILLS THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

Dyson, hope you get the plastic fixed ok.
Ric, How is your new GH holding up?
Celia, I want to go w/ you! :D Love the geese! Was it snowing when you took that pic? And I Love that '57! One of my faves. ;)
Adina, Great shots of such a fun time. :) Thanks for the pics of the Blue Moon! ;D It was way too cloudy here for us to see anything.
Bernie! LOL! on the global warming! :D Looks like you all had a great time, too! :D

Well, gonna go do something....to work up a sweat! LOL! I don't see that happening! :D

Joey

( my car at the bottom of the 1st hill)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Celia, whenever I see a car from the '50s, I think of my dad's 1955 Oldsmobile. It was his everyday car until 1977 when he couldn't get parts for it anymore. It was just like this car http://classiccars.com/20484.car except the upholstery was different (and nicer styled, IMO). Also, my dad's car was in really sad shape when he got rid of it, but it is legendary to me. He sold it to a guy who was hoping to restore it but he couldn't find parts so he sold it to someone else and my dad lost track of where it went. I suppose it or its parts still live on somewhere. When he got rid of the car, it seemed so ancient ('50s styles vs '70s styles). The car I drive now is over 20 years old, but it doesn't seem nearly as ancient. Maybe it's partly because I am older than my car but I was younger than my dad's car. He still has a 1961 Oldsmobile convertible that is in original condition.

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!! I am SOOOOOO overdue at writing to y'all.. I can't believe it's been since JULY!!! My apologies ..I have been VERY busy, especially during the fall season with my 2 bazaars. I was busy trying to get crafts done.. then our summer heat got to me & I was sick from the heat so I couldn't do much.
Our Christmas was busy at church since hubby & I are in the music ministry.. we had a quiet holiday season.
Our weather was really nice up to Christmas Eve, when our area got 5 inches of snow... now, for some areas that's nothing, but for our area here in Texas it shut the whole town down!! It was very icy too. We are now into the cold temps & close to freezing temps. We are due to get VERY cold temps as the week goes on. It hasn't been like this in Texas since the 1920's!!!
Hope everyone is well & will try to be more diligent at getting on here more often!! :0)

(Zone 7a)

Cindy, no apologies necessary. We all understand Life can happen.

Kelli, that's a very cool car! I love the oldies.

Bright and sunny today. 65º in the GH!

I still want this car.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Or this one.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.