January 2010 - The Best Is Yet to Come!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey Cuckoo!
Glad to hear you are not frozen!
It certainly is Winter eh! lol!

Kiska we had one of those on our metal garage roof.
Got some great pictures on one side... walked around and the other side let go just before I got there..
I'd have been buried! lol!
I heard there were Moose falling from the trees in AK!

Rann they look like little Mad Scientists! Excellent Shot!
I'm SO glad Christmas turned out so well for You and the Munchkins !!!!

My word a Sunrise! Nice Mau!

Well it looks like we got about 6" of snow out of the deal.
I went out and took some test shots of the lights about an hour ago.
Didn't fire everything up tonight.
The breeze and the lightness of the snow mad it a bit hard to shoot.
Either the lights were blowing or snow was getting on the lens.
Tomorrow night we'll both go out and do the whole yard.

Here's the trees across the Pond.

Ric

This message was edited Jan 7, 2010 9:57 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It's 18° w/ a 15 MPH wind so we're seeing WC's of about 5°..
Winds will increase overnight as the next cold front move thru.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

You are in rare form tonight, Ric! "Moose falling from the trees" and "mad scientists"! ROFLOL!!! Nice shot of the trees across the pond. Actually, it was a sunrise, though--not a sunset :o)) edited to add: we crossed--love the colors in those photos!!
Rann: I agree with Ric--that's a great shot of the girls.
Cuckoo: if the snowplows have to be pulled out of the snow, I would think that everybody needs to stay home!!!

Currently 18F on my back porch.
# Tonight: Mainly clear. Very cold. Low near 10F. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.
# Tomorrow: A few passing clouds, otherwise generally sunny. Cold. High 23F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2010 8:54 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hey Cuckoo, long time no see.
You got any blackberry crisp on hand?
My blackberries are snuggled up under 3 feet of snow. Makes beautiful mulch.
(For you southern people, our ground was froze solid. Don't know how deep. Now with all the snow on it for near a month, it is thawed out again. So things that are touchy to cold will overwinter very well.)

I-90 is closed from Albert Lea, MN to Rapid City, SD. That is around 500 miles. Big storm.
All state highways from here west are closed. They are serious, too. $1000.00 fine plus pay to get rescued. They have gates similar to RR crossing gates they put down.

All schools are closed tomorrow also. Besides the snow & wind, the temperature is going very low. Wind is supposed to die down during the night, but I imagine it will take most of the day tomorrow to plow the roads.

We had to shovel snow off the house today. Getting a little to deep for comfort. One shed is getting pretty deep. If it is decent tomorrow we will get it cleaned.

We are in for a January thaw next week. I am keeping fingers crossed!

Bernie

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

2 degrees now with windchills way below that. Winds are blowing hard still and there are cars in ditches everywhere. Several roads are closed including one we use to get to the interstate. That road has 5+ foot drifts on it. The interstates are so so depending on where you are at.

Windchill warnings in effect thru tomorrow and strong winds last til about noon tomorrow. We have about 5 inches of snow on top of what we already had.

(Zone 7a)

Bernie, we're like where you live. All our ground is frozen, too.

Snowplows getting stuck? Yeah, stay home!

Great pics! I love the girls holding their sparklers. Rann, your pony shot needs to go into the contest this year.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's mostly cloudy, 36°F/2°C (feels like 31°F/-1°C), breeze from E at 6 mph. With all the cold weather both in the US and Europe, I'm not complaining! lol The snow's still frozen for some reason so no slush yet ...... which is good. We're expecting a depression tomorrow with wind and rain so it should melt then ......

Kiska - wow! That's some overhang .... wouldn't want that falling over me! Another chore I'm glad not to have to deal with ..... clearing the roof of snow, Yikes!

EB - glad you could fix your snowblower ...... snowblowers are unknown here ......... even up north where it snows considerably more than down here in the southwest. (still around 20°F up north and in the east).

Marsue - gorgeous sunrise! :-)

Adina - such a cute photo of the pups! Rica was very cute, like his brother :-)

Ric - your holiday light photos are great! I'm leaving the lights up until at least the end of January (except maybe the colored ones) .... January is just too dark and gloomy, definately needs a few lights to brighten it up.

I have a job interview next week! I'm fairly optimistic so keep your fingers crossed for me! :-) I desperately need the job, can't make ends meet on my disablity checks alone ...... and December took a big bite out of my savings .....

Photo from the 13th ...... not our fireworks .....

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! Dyson Dark here w/ 2" of new snow (ice underneath), so will need to leave a little early this morning.It was nice not having to drive in so much wind yesterday, but looks as if it will come back w/a vengence!
Snow: 19°F
Feels like: 5°F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 7°
Humidity: 58%
Visibility: 4 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 15 mph NW
Sunrise: 7:38 AM
Sunset: 5:22 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Rann! Yeah! I'll have All of my fingers & toes crossed for ya! ;) Love the shot of the girls & the FW.
Celia, I agree...Rann should enter the 'pony' in the photot contest! :D Thanks for th "warm" photo!
Ric! Love the pond shots! Looks great! :D
E_B, Glad you got your snow blower fixed...I'd say the guy that sold you the blower really Would like to have it back!
Kiska! That looks rather deadly! :-O ---Beautiful, but deadly!
Mau Love the Sunrise! Gorgeous!

Must get a move on...Everybody safe & stay warm!

Joey
(one more from last year)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I have frigid blast around here until Monday will be warmer I hope it...

It now 1*....

QUOTE:

Does she cuddle with you, Rusty?

She do sometime cuddle only keep bug Rusty alot! lol....

This message was edited Jan 8, 2010 5:24 AM

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Waving to everyone, I don't have time to catch up but in Central Arkansas it's this cold:

11.8 °F
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 6 °F
Humidity: 27%
Dew Point: -16 °F
Wind: 3.1 mph from the WNW
Wind Gust: 3.6 mph
Pressure: 29.96 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds:
Few 2500 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

Not much going on:
Hard freeze warning in effect until 6 am CST Sunday...
Wind Chill Advisory in effect until noon CST today...

Today
Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 20s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows around 6. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well it looks like after we get thru this weekend about everyone will be heading back up in temps.
Weather liars are saying low/mid 40's by Weds going out!
We will only hit 28° today... 20° tomorrow.... BUT by Monday we should clear Freezing!
And sunny!
Snowing again here and 14°. Big fluffy flakes still coming down.

Rann BEST of Luck on the Job!

Rusty I hope JuJu can get some serious yard time this weekend!
The faster you warm up... the faster we warm up! LOL!

Joey I love frozen bodies of water shots!
I have to try to get some over into our Cut In the Hill in KY.
It's part of the Cincinnati Arch and small springs leak out unnoticed most of the year.
Come winter they freeze and form huge icicles and frozen mini waterfalls.

Ric

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

As last night, power went off for few second twice! Oh, I just panic easy so no problem this time phew!

It now -1*.... More snow blowing....

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Took this pic now:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
(Zone 7a)

Good luck, Rann!!! You deserve something good to happen. Hugs all around. (((hugs)))

Rusty! That's waaaaay too cold! I'm so glad your power didn't stay out. Brrrrr!!!

14.9 °F with 27º for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 15 °F
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 7 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 30.59 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Random pic.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

42*F It's been pouring rain, but has now let up. Nearly noon here in Washington.
ric~the Christmas lights are beautiful in the snow.
Rann, leaving the lights seems like a great idea. Good luck w/job.
kwanjin~love the random shot.
m2keep~there have deadly consequences w/similiar snow/ice overhangs; as well as with icicles. If we were home, it would have been pulled down by now. Too bad the wind hasn't died down; sure makes a difference w/out it.
CG~great idea w/fines.
Rusty~hope the power stays on~love the photo.
DH at work at DD's here in Washington. There are a couple of acres to clear from around the house.

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie: wow--I don't kmow why anyone would even want to get out on the highways in that kind of weather but the fine should certainly be an incentive for people to stay at home even if the snow isn't!!
Rann: good luck on the job interview! That fireworks pic looks like a wierd flower of some kind.
Pepper: I lived in Kansas City(North) for about a year (My daughter was born up there.) but fortunately that year they did not have a bad winter--certainly nothing like you are experiencing this year!
Rusty: puppies are good at bothering older dogs--that's just what they do best--LOL. Good shot of the moon--looks like a true blue moon. :o))

"Hi" to the rest of you! :o))

It was 8*F at 6 a.m. on my backporch--wind chill was probably below zero.
Right now it is sunny but just 22*F on my backporch. No snow here but the temps will drop to around zero tonight!! Still bitterly cold in the entire country except for the desert southwest. I think I'll move to Phoenix or Tucson for the winter!! LOL

I took Friday to the vet this morning for his annual rabies shot, etc. He was not happy with me. LOL He's been asleep ever since we got home--guess those three shots traumatized him--poor little guy!

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: we crossed--hope the ice overhang on your house doesn't get any worse. Do you have anyone who can take care of it for you while you are away? What would they do to "take care of it", anyway? Looks like the guys have their work cut out for them in clearing the area around your daughter's house.

Celia: "cute" trailer hitch cover---errrr, maybe "cute" isn't the right word! LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We whack ours from the safe side.... but then ours was only 14" deep...
Kiska may need dynamite!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

8 deg with windchills of -5. Several roads still closed in the area. Been snowing all day too but hasn't stuck around.

Have some snow pics I took yesterday that I will post as soon as I get the camera out of my coat and download the pics. LOL

(Zone 3b)

marsue~sure sounds cold there; Friday has the right idea in sleeping through it and the shots' trauma.
Our grandson has gone to our house to dislodge the ice/overhang; he used the snow rake for that purpose; very long handle/w/solid surface "rake tines" for breaking ice/snow. We called him today; it went well even w/out dynamite:)
pepper~looking forward to snowy pics-always a favorite; unless it's summertime/flowers.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Trying to catch up a tad...

The best of luck Rann!!

LOL Celia!

Mau every time Tiga gets her shots she's lethargic for 2 days afterward, the third day is a little better, and she's fine on the 4th day.

Kiska Ric's right, you might need dynamite! LOL It is cold here, the high today was 19* with a wind chill of 15*. It's supposed to be 9* tonight, and we're not going to warm up until Monday. UG!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New thread. Please go there.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1067977/
Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.