January 2010 - The Best Is Yet to Come!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I had a 57 Chevy back when everyone had one. Mine was customized with a souped up engine. Transmission couldn't take the power & was broke most of the time.
I also had a 55 Olds before the Chevy. A big 2 door hardtop. Of course that was not a hot rod type so I traded it for the Chevy.
When I sold the Chevy, I ordered the only new car I ever bought. It was a 66 Olds Cutlass. It was one of the muscle cars of the era. Olds answer to the Super Sport Chevy you show in the last picture.

Now back to reality, it is extremely cold here. Already -15º before dark. Dark in a few minutes here. It might get above zero tomorrow!

Neither car or pickup would start today.

Bernie

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I wouldn't have wanted to start at -15° either, Bernie! LOL

This morning I went out to attempt to donate blood. I have O-, the universal donor type, so the blood center calls me regularly to ask for a donation. I have very low iron, though (I'm not anemic, it's just lower than the blood center's "standard"), so about 75% of the time when I try to donate, I get rejected. Bummer. I actually had to scrape the windows when I went out today!! That doesn't happen very often! LOL It's a good thing I kept my ice scraper when I moved down here. :-) It was just below freezing last night, so it was still quite chilly this morning. It warmed up very nicely this afternoon, though.

Anyone want a dog?? About 2 days ago, a black lab mix showed up at our house while the girls were in the front yard playing on their scooters. I'm always a little nervous about stray dogs around the girls - especially ones that are nearly as big as they are! - but this one is very gentle. The bunnies petted him and talked to him, and named him "Alpha" (they got Up! for Christmas. LOL) When we came in, he really wanted to come in, too. We had to kinda scootch around him to get in the door. He eventually disappeared (or at least I couldn't see him the dark), and I figured he had gone home. Yesterday he showed up again, and was outside our house pretty much all day. When we went to bed last night, I could see him lying on our front doorstep, poor doggy... It was below freezing (barely) last night, so I'm sure he was cold. This morning, he was still here. I asked the neighbors about him, but no one has claimed him. Our very sweet next door friends brought out a bowl of dog food for him, since we don't have any. He's curled up on a blanket in the flower bed right next to the door right now. (Maybe he'll keep the begonias warm. LOL) He hasn't barked at all... He hasn't wagged his tail much either - he's obviously scared and keeps his tail tucked underneath him. He soooo sweet.... We really don't want a dog, though, especially a big one. :-( We put out a bunch of "found dog" signs. I hope someone comes soon to claim him! I don't think he's very old, although he's definitely not little. He's skinny, but not starving looking, so I don't think he's been lost very long. I think he just hasn't filled out yet. If no one comes to claim him tomorrow, we'll take him to the shelter where we got the kitties.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:53pm CST (47 min ago)
Temperature 51 °F 11 °C
Dew Point 32 °F 0 °C
Humidity 48%
Pressure 30.27 in 1025.2 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir ESE 110°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 28.9°F / -1.7°C

Tonight Partly cloudy until late night then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

HIgh of 15 low of -5 with wind chills around -20 this morning. It is very bitter but majority of the people are out and about today getting last minute stuff done before they have to go to work.

My road is still a solid sheet of ice and my truck is still our main mode of travel. My mom's car could barely make the hill today and only after she backed up past our driveway to our neighbor's then kept a steady speed all the way up. Slid around alot but made it. My dad hasn't tried his truck yet so he might have to use my truck on Monday.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Here in NC, it is brutally cold in the mountains. For us, a day that never gets as high as 30 deg. and with a howling wide is rugged. I had to go help move a lot of boxes and other items from a museum building we are using to the storage area until our new building is finished. After going by at 8:30 this morning to chop snow-turned-ice off the stairs to the porch for a half hour, I had to go to the old museum building and meet a man who was bringing a leaf blower to sweep out the storage site (an old house).The wind had picked up but we had to string long extension cords from the new museum site to the storage house, about 200 feet. I left him there and went to help load trucks and lead them to the storage site. Then, after doing some further cleaning, I started moving everything into the storage house as the men put items on the porch. There was no heat in the storage house either.
The work kept me pretty warm, but my face is sensitive to cold and when I got to warm place, it tingled for about an hour.

(Zone 7a)

Woodspirit, brrrrr! I hate being cold. Yuck. What do you do that you need extra storage space? Or is this for your home stuff?

Marylyn, I would love to take him but the kitties wouldn't allow it.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Marylyn you've got DMail.

Celia we'd ALL love to have either of those cars back.... except in the Winter.
Too much power to hold on slippery roads.
I've had both..... loved them both.... couldn't drive either Dec-Feb...
Had a Super Bee too.... it was the worst!
Now I just drive point A - B cars... lol!

Everyone stay Warm and Safe!
We barely broke 20° here today.
It's 14° (WC 6°) going down to around 10° (WC 0°)
Then a 'warming' trend starts.
We should break freezing by Weds... below average on the Highs (should be 37°)....
but w/ average Lows for this time of year.... around 24°..
Long as we keep getting Sun I'm OK w/ it...

Looks like kiska picked a good time to be in the PNW...
Above average temps are expected.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Yep, Ric, I think she really did!
Bundle up & stay warm everybody!

Snow: 18°F
Feels like: 1°F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 3°
Humidity: 53%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 19 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:38 AM
Sunset: 5:17 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

* WIND CHILLS FROM FIVE TO FIFTEEN BELOW ZERO CAN BE EXPECTED TONIGHT.

Thumbnail by music2keep
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

13°F with heavy snow falling this evening. We've had steady snow the past few days and it's really piling up here! We are under a Lake Effect Snow Warning until Sunday 7:00 pm. with heavy snows and high winds expected this weekend.

rann........I enjoyed the video and the photos. Looks like quite a party!

rusty.........Hope you're feeling better soon. I have a friend who calls illnesses of that type the "creepin' crud"!

kelli.........Those photos sure look inviting. The older I get the more I understand all of the "snowbirds" who spend spring , summer and fall here and head south for the winter.

Photo: One last Christmas photo taken earlier this evening.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

It is 15° - and it feels like it.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

More snow! I took this pix front house inside too cold when I get my Sunday newspaper this morning! It now 23*!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Clear cold day here today .... not as cold as many of you though .... if it gets below 20°F here we consider it VERY cold! lol
21°F (-6°C) feels like 21°F ..... practically calm, slight breeze from ESE at 1 mph. Sunrise was at 11:17 am, sunset will be at 3:48 pm .... that's almost half an hour longer than at solstice :-)

EB - beautiful photo! :-) Glad you enjoyed the video :-) It IS a big party ..... fireworks going off in every direction as far as you can see! :-)

Kelli - beautiful buildings. They look like something you could see in Spain ...... but they seem "newer" ...... which is probably the case ;-) lol

Marylyn - poor dog. Hope you find him a home.

Bernie - brrrr that's cold! Compared to your temps .... we're warm and toasty! lol And yet it feels very cold to me ;-) lol Doesn't get below 10°F here in the south at least ...... normal winter temps here are mostly in 20's - 30's ...... 10's are rare. But then again it hardly gets above 65°F in the summer ....

Crissy - sorry you couldn't see the video .... could you view the link to the news video? ... there are some fireworks views there as well as the bonfire ;-) Interesting about the roofs over there ...... no wooden roofs here or we'd be in big trouble! lol

Hope you all have a Great day!

Rann

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

kwanjin, Our little local museum is moving to new quarters, in a 1905 house which is undergoing a complete rehabilitation. So we are packing and moving most things to a house adjacent to the new museum property. We need to get out of our current space before Feb. 1 so we don't have to pay another month's rent. It is amazing how much stuff we accumulated, some of it not cataloged yet. I think we have an awful lot of old kitchen utensils and tools and plan to set up a century old kitchen for an exhibit.
Boy are my legs sore today from all that lifting and carrying. I am the only woman that did much of that and I am 66.
It is only 19 degrees here and it is 11:30 so I guess I'm glad we did it in the cold and wind yesterday because it's worse today.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 11:22 AM

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

31.8 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 28 °F
Humidity: 63%
Dew Point: 20 °F
Wind: 1.1 mph from the East
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 30.19 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0.8 out of 16
Clouds:
Few 6000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 410 ft
Today: Cloudy. A slight chance of snow in the morning. Highs in the mid 30s. East winds 5 mph. The chance of precipitation 20 percent in the morning. Tonight: Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of flurries after midnight. Lows in the lower 20s. Northeast winds 5 mph. The chance of precipitation 20 percent after midnight.

Celia I grew up with a 1956 Chevy 2 door Utility Sedan. My dad still has it, but it's been sitting without an engine or tranny for over 20 years. I'll have to rescan the pictures of it, I think I know where they are....

Marylyn doggies have been showing up everywhere around me and I want them all, but I don't have a fence so that's out. What a sweetheart though, I'd say he got out of his yard somewhere. Hopefully he wasn't dumped.

Rann I can't, it says I need a plug in but when I go to install it, even manually, it won't do it. I don't know what's going on.

Here's some pictures from Cousin Alice's yesterday! I should have taken a lot more.
http://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/20100103#

See ya'll later! Oh, I'll look for pics of my dad's '56.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi, guys! It's been snowing all day here, but it's not that cold. The kids were trying to make a snowman, but the snow wasn't good for it.
Adina

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Oh I just hate it more snow and temp will be drop down to 9* tomorrow all day!

I get little bit better today and get some rest, too!

Rusty and JuJu take a break for nap after they playing to rough! lol...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It was 6° here this morning.
Didn't see a WC but right now we are reporting 16° (WC 10°).
We should hit 23° and there's not a cloud in the sky.
Looks like we'll break freezing Tuesday... long range Forecast shows near 40° by next weekend.
THAT's our normal avg High.

Off to find an On Line stream of my fottball game.... BBL
Stay Warm!!!!

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Wunderground says it's 36º here but it feels MUCH warmer than that. I sat on the porch about a half an hour ago and had my coffee with the kitties playing on the walkway. I kicked off my slippers and stayed out barefoot for about 15 minutes. It FEELS like 50º.

Rusty, that's way too cold. Cute pups sleeping! LOL

Marylyn, Rusty, Adina, Mau (where are you?), Ric, Joey, Bernie, Rann, EB, Cindy, Woodspirit, Flipflops and whomever I'm forgetting...Stay warm! Kelli, I think you ARE warm, yes?

I'm here Celia! Just took a bath and I'm checking the threads. Were the kitties playing in the snow?
I played with the camera and took some pics of the lights in the Christmas tree.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

One more.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

It's cold, only in the teens, cloudy and snowing. We recieved another 2-3 inches of snow today on top of what we already have. Not complaining though. We need the traction for the road.

Has anyone heard from MySharona?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well Bernie looks like we both had a cold but Happy Day! LOL!
Vikings took no prisoners!
Browns went 4 in a Row!

Ric

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Are the Giants that bad ? I remember a few years ago when we played them & always was though to beat them.
Never got above zero today!
We will probably get used to it & then sweat to death when it hits 20º again.

Goooooooooo 49ers!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best year they've had in a long time and I can't see the games anymore :(

Steelers won, barely!
Houston lost, which is good for the Steelers
I think The Saints lost, boo.
Go Vikings Go!

Let's see, with the Raiders game, for the playoffs to work in my favor I need the Raiders to win. That's horrible, I'm a Raider Hater.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 3:53 PM

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

18º with heavy snow now expected through Tuesday. Both interstates near us have been closed at various times today due to heavy blowing snow and many accidents. After shoveling for many, many years I finally broke down and bought a used snow blower last spring. Well, a clutch cable broke on it yesterday so I'm back to shoveling until I can get a replacement. I shoveled around 18" out of the drive this morning and another 8" late this evening. By the time I finished there was another 1-2" of new snow on the ground. The bands of lake effect snow have been sitting on top of us and dumping. The radar showed a band blowing from the lake all the way to State College in the middle of the state. My back hurts! :(

10 day forecast calls for highs in the teens and 20's and snow, snow, snow!

kwanjin.........Thanks, I am warm!

adinamiti..........pretty tree! The snow here is the light fluffy stuff too.

Photo: This evening around 5:00 when I finished shoveling.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 6:21 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Happy New Year everyone!
We had 7 adults and 3 children here at my daughter's house on New Year's Eve and two more showed up on the 1st. They all left yesterday and it has been really quiet around here since. It's just me and my daughter and SIL here now plus our two dogs. We awoke to 3 inches of snow (I can hear you northerners laughing and rolling on the floor) which shuts down everything down here in the south. LOL Anyway, "all that snow" was a good excuse to just "veg out" today. We had homemade soup for lunch which is always good on a cold and snowy day.
Thanks for the new thread, Kelli! love the start-up photo of the poinsettia tree and the Botanic garden.
Celia: I'm here--just haven't been online much the last few days. Yes, every day we have another opportunity to right the wrongs we have committed against others, forgive those who have wronged us and make a brand new start! We don't have to wait until Jan. 1st to do that.
Rann: I enjoyed the video clip with the fireworks--haven't had a chance to look at the other one yet.
Rusty: I hope you are feeling better by now.
welcome to woodspirit--I think this is the first time I have seen you posting. Do come back anytime!
I'm behind since I haven't been here in a couple of days but I have enjoyed everyone's photos and comments. I finally have a snow photo of my own to post--LOL--this what we awoke to this morning. As I said, I can hear you folks up north laughing at our "big snow" but it is a lot for us. I am at my daughter's house in Harrison, AR. Where I live in Cabot, AR, they received no snow.
Our high today here in Harrison didn't make it out of the 20's. A little while ago it was 23F here. Low tonight to be around 12F. BRRRRRR

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

one more--looking down the street--taken from the front door of my daughter's house

Thumbnail by marsue
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PST on January 03, 2010
73 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 12%
Dew Point: 18 °F
Wind: 15 mph from the North

We went hiking today.

popcorn flower - I have a lot of trouble getting good pictures of white flowers. They always end up washed out. Gotta learn how to use the manual settings, I guess.

Thumbnail by Kelli

The snow pictures are pretty. I like my snow at a distance.

Tumbleweed looking prettier than it really is

Thumbnail by Kelli

California fuschia

Thumbnail by Kelli

Ceanothus spinosus is one of my favorite scientific names because it rhymes.

Do you remember stinging lupine? It is starting to come up. I decided to touch it, and it didn't sting. Maybe when it gets bigger.

Thumbnail by Kelli

ladybug

Thumbnail by Kelli
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, Crissy, Houston actually won! Don't ask me how... they were losing and I walked away from the tv to do a couple of things, and when I came back, they were ahead by 14! In order for them to make it to the playoffs, they need 2 of 3 teams to win: Baltimore, Jets, and Denver. So far only Denver appears to be cooperating - and they still have 6 minutes to play, which is a lot of time in football! LOL

The doggy was still here this morning, and when we came home from church. We took him to the shelter this afternoon because he is already shivering, and it is going to get colder and start raining tonight. It cost us $60 to leave him there (which means we'll be eating a lot of veggie soup this week!) but it's a great shelter - they take good care of the animals, and are very careful who they allow to adopt them, so we were happy to do it. Of course about an hour after Charles got home from the shelter, we had a knock on the door, and it was the dog's owner. (sigh...) I don't know if she made it there before the shelter closed for the day, but at least he'll be home by tomorrow night. :-)

We have a cold front coming! They are even using the S word for Wednesday night and Thursday morning! I'm not sure Houston has ever gotten snow twice in the same winter.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:53pm CST (20 min ago)
Temperature 46 °F 8 °C
Dew Point 37 °F 3 °C
Humidity 70%
Pressure 30.28 in 1025.5 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir NE 40°
Ceiling 9000 ft 2743 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53pm CST : 45.0°F / 7.2°C
6 hour max temperature ending 5:53pm CST : 48.0°F / 8.9°C

Tonight Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of sprinkles in the evening. Lows in the mid 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Kelli.......You have trouble with white flowers because you have something out there called the SUN! We should all be so lucky. :-) I often carry a small white collapsible umbrella to shade flowers. On sunny days it provides soft, even, light. I like that stinging lupine. Quite a unique, pretty little flower.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Marylyn..........We cross-posted. You too huh! I'm assuming the "S-word" is SUN!

early_bloomer

Temp: 12 deg
WC: -1 deg
Wind: from NNE at 10 mph
Hum: 64%

In other words it's winter and it's COLD!!!!!!! LOL

LOL Marylyn you got it all figured out. I had it all figured out this afternoon, I've forgotten by now though. I have watched football every season since I was born. Football and Nascar LOL
I want the New Orleans Saints and Pittsburgh Steelers in the Superbowl, since the 49ers isn't going to get there, again. :(

LOL S word would be snow. You never know, this has been a very cold winter.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, E_B! We have a slight chance of sunshine early Tuesday morning... After that, the clouds take over again. I'd complain if I hadn't already seen your weather! LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Around here the S Word is Steelers...LOL!

Steelers!!! Yay!!! says the Pennsylvanian

E_B, the flower is Ceanothus spinosus. Stinging lupine isn't blooming yet. I just mentioned it just because - I don't know why.

This is stinging lupine at this time of year

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well like me w/ the Browns Kelli it will be next Fall before we see them again.
The Steelers lose to the Browns cost them the playoffs..... ;-)

20° here and still a bit windy..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.