January 2010 - The Best Is Yet to Come!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

How about Vampire JuJu's one tooth! lol...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOVE IT!
I'D be braiding Garlic about now.....

(Zone 7a)

LOL It's always nice to start the day with a laugh. Makes you feel great all day!

32.1 °F with 34º for the high. 40% chance of snow.
Overcast
Windchill: 32 °F
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 26 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.26 in (Falling)
Visibility: 8.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 4400 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft
Overcast 8000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Miss Kitty Fantastico.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

still gray overcast and cold hahha nothing will change for three months

(Zone 3b)

Loved seeing the varied photos; such a fun way to start the day.
It's overcast down here; 45*. Wish I could send the jet-stream down your way, kelli~
It's going to be a shock returning home to Alaska next week to darkness and cold.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Bernie,
No, I have not been to Mountain Lake for many years. If I get down that way, I'll send you a D-mail to see if you'll be around when I'm there.

These are the current conditions:

Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport
Lat: 44.89 Lon: -93.22 Elev: 834
Last Update on Jan 6, 11:53 am CST

Overcast with Haze
9 °F
(-13 °C) Humidity: 64 %
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 30.25" (1026.7 mb)
Dewpoint: -1 °F (-18 °C)
Visibility: 6.00 mi.

Is it Spring yet?
Mike

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mike I thought that WAS Spring in Minnesota! lol!

Well the bad thing about having the Boardwalk and Deck is now we have to shovel it..lol!

Checked the pond and had to add a bit of water...
hose obviously is frozen so I hauled 10 two and a half gallon jugs out.
Looks like maybe 100 gallons are tied up in the ice that has formed.
We should know mid next week how the fish are fairing.

Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Winter Storm warnings for central MO and it's snowing now.

18 degrees and feels like 18 degrees.
UV Index is 1 Low
Winds calm for now
Humidity 77% (It's snowing so I would think it would be 100% LOL)
Pressure 30.13 in dropping
Dew Point 13 deg
Visibilty is 0.3 miles

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Funny and cute vampires!LOL
Yesterday it was sunny, but cold and I took a few pics.
The frozen field.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Frozen weeds.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's our snow coming down.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Frozen thuja.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Frozen water from the rain pipe.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The pup, Trica, enjoying the walk.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

A half and half dog! LOL How cute she is!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ah another one of those odd Romanian mythical creatures! lol!

Trica is Gorgeous!
Named for the footballer?

Pepper's storm is on the way.
The Weather Liars are saying 1-6" of snow by Friday morning.
Now see if they were smart they would say 0-24" then they would be right!

Ric

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are getting snow tonight. 9º.
Wind will pick up overnight so all schools in the area are closed tomorrow. Will be blizzard by morning. The snow is very fluffy. On the prairie with no wind breaks it will be a whiteout.
We stained & varnished the cabinet doors today. Got the ones for our bathroom done, too.
So tomorrow I get to sand them so we can give them the final coat. We will install them Saturday.
Also have Farmers Market annual meeting Saturday morning.

Bernie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Good luck Bernie!
What we are getting would be flurries to you by now.....

(Zone 7a)

We had snow. Lasted all of about 30 seconds...

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! :D It's Dyson Dark again! We're under another advisory...
Temp: 19°F
Feels like: 9°F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 12°
Humidity: 73%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 8 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:38 AM
Sunset: 5:21 PM
UV Index: 0 Low
* THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN THIS AFTERNOON IN THE FAR SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA AND SOUTHEAST WEST VIRGINIA... SPREADING INTO THE NEW RIVER VALLEY BY EVENING.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 5 INCHES ARE EXPECTED WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS OVER THE WEST VIRGINIA AND FAR SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA MOUNTAINS.

Sharon, I meant to tell you...your puppies & Calley look so contented there! Especially Miss Calley. ;) Glad all of your company is gone so you can be on here more! :D I noticed yesterday that you were almost as cold as us! Not good! We have ordered some coral, clams etc. from a company (ORA?) not far from you...talked to them yesterday & they said they were 40 inside the building!
Kiska, I've been meaning to ask you...When you are home & it's winter...do you have to set an alarm to get up? If it stayed dark in the winter for me I think I would...or I would stay in the bed all the time! :D
Marylyn! Cold enough to use the ice scraper? You wouldn't believe what I use! And I'm not the only one, either! We use wide spatulas here! :D I'm glad that the doggie found his home! :D
Adina, Great pics! as usual! :D Very pretty.
Celia, Do you have any snow on the ground?
Bernie, Hold on to your hat! I hope you can make it to the annual meeting!
Ric, How much snow will you get out of this one?
E_B, I showed every body at work your driveway...There were a lot of 'Wow's' & 'no wonder his back hurts!' Did you ever get your snow blower fixed? I hope you found the parts! When we had our big snow before Christmas we ( me & DH) were laughing wondering if Lowe's would deliver that Saturday! LOL!

Well, gotta run...
Have a good day all!
Joey

This message was edited Jan 7, 2010 8:43 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Gee! It now 7* and windy chill -13*....

JuJu want go outside I can't allow it because it very frigid outside so I let use in my attached garage for potty! lol...I know I have to clean mess!

Wow! That's strange dog I never see half face's colors.... Like ying & yang!

(Zone 7a)

It seems all the storms are bypassing us. Good for driving, bad for skiing. Still very cold, though.

JuJu knows who loves her! She's such a cutie. Does she cuddle with you, Rusty?

Sharon, I forgot to comment on your pic of the girls. Such a great shot of them. I'll bet none of them want to go out into the cold you've been having.

16.1 °F with 29º for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 16 °F
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 5 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.42 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Clouds: Few 1900 ft
Scattered Clouds 3800 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Joey, we do have snow on the ground. We're very much enjoying the new view of the mountains since the neighbors took the tree down.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, the Weather Liars have struck again! Woke up at 6:30am to see what was going on and if the dream of an inclement weather day had come true, it rained in the middle of the night instead of ice and snow and the temp was 34*, that was the high for the day, it's down to 27* now and going to continue to drop throughout the day. Mississippi wasn't supposed to get much of anything, and they're getting hammered! Anyway, the roads had dried so no inclement weather day for me. Oh well.

27.7 °F
Overcast
Windchill: 28 °F
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 1 °F
Wind: 3.1 mph
Wind Gust: 3.1 mph
Pressure: 29.75 in (Rising)
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds:
Overcast 2200 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

Today
Mostly cloudy. Breezy. A chance of light freezing rain and sleet early in the morning. A chance of snow early in the morning. Highs in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph early in the morning...increasing to 15 to 20 mph...with gusts to around 30 mph. The chance of precipitation 50 percent early in the morning.
Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows around 8. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph in the evening.

Ric, I'm impressed, you know the names of Romanian football(soccer) players! I named his poor brother Rica(the one who died of babesiosis) and my DH came with the name Trica for this one who survived, so I think he might have thought of the football player Trica.
All snow has melted, it's 40 today, going up!!!!!
More odd creatures from Romania!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We ended with 4" of new snow. Wind is blowing but not causing a whiteout.

We will be staying put today. Nice part of being self employed. No need to travel to get to work. Just walk across the yard to the shop.

I will probably work on computer all day. I'm caught up in the shop. I do need to sand the varnished doors later today. May take an hour.
I need to get more computer things done to make 2010 go smoothly.

Bernie

The 2 pup brothers when they were both alive and well.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Adina I'll admit I looked it up.
I watch a lot of my NFL football streaming on line.
The site I use runs a lot of European Soccer feeds and interviews w/ players.
I saw the word Trică last weekend on a Romanian feed.
At the time I thought it had something to do w/ one of those odd games you have.
Well not really odd .... obscure is a better word.
So I looked it up. Quite the player!
Your pup Trică has one of the best patterns I've ever seen!
I love that breed!

Well they are declaring a Snow Emergency here in many of the smaller towns and villages.
This just means you can't park on the streets to facilitate snow removal.

We are supposed to have bands of snow rolling thru.
Heavy at times then nothing all day long.
1-3" by evening...
By tomorrow morning they are saying 3-6".
It's been snowing since 9 AM but we only have 1/2" on the ground so far.
Temps right at 21° currently up tp 28° for a high.

The good news is the long range Lie calls for temps to be back to NORMAL by early next week.
Highs near or slightly above 40° Lows around 30°...
YEAH!

I'll be going out tonight and getting the Holiday Light shots.
They always look better in the snow.... LOL!
Ric

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

22°F with little wind and light snow falling. We had light, misty freezing rain here from Tues. evening through most of last night. It never really built up on the trees but put a nice layer of frozen ice on top of the snow. The deep snow topped by a layer of ice means the wildlife is going to have a tough time of it for a while. We have another Lake Effect Snow Warning kicking in this afternoon and heavy heavy snow is expected, especially Friday to Saturday.

Joey.........the snow blower is repaired and running like a top. When I replaced the cable I found that the friction wheel was worn down to nothing so I replaced that too. That fixed the problems it sometimes had with the tranny slipping. Nothing stops it now. I bought it used last spring from a coworker who wanted to buy a bigger one for his tractor so he could ride instead of walking. He bought a John Deere and the first time he used it the auger broke in half! The dealer told him they have been having a lot of problems with them--his wasn't the first. They are made in China. He got his $1,400 back and went out and bought another walk behind model. I think he wishes he had his old one back!

adinamiti.............That is one cool looking dog! Maybe you have a future movie star in the family!

Ric.......Vampire cows! Now that would leave a mark! Do birds eat the Nandina berries? They would certainly stand out in the winter landscape.

Photo: Big Kitty

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

e_b they are mildly toxic and I've never seen birds eat them.
There are reports of the bigger birds, jays, mockingbirds, etc going after them.

We also grow Pyracantha 'Mohava' which has strikingly colored berries too.
They aren't edible until they have been frozen and thawed a few times.
Robins LOVE them!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/27580/

About an inch so far and steadily coming down.
I went out and broomed it off..... like powder!
The Boardwalk was covered again by the time I finished....lol!
It threw about 8" on the pond....good insulation and as it melts it will fill the pond back up.

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good afternoon! It's 40° here right now, but the temps are supposed to start dropping like a rock any second now. Unfortunately we didn't get any precipitation at all - we were hoping for snow (fun to play in!), but I would have settled happily for rain (to protect the plants.) Since we didn't get any, I'm going to run the sprinkler this afternoon. Then I'll cover the garden, and we'll see what survives! I don't have too many tropical plants, so I should be ok. I'm a little worried about the cyclamen I just bought, though...

John Deeres are made in China now, E_B?? That just seems so... wrong, somehow.. Sheesh.. I'm glad your friend got his money back. And I'm glad you got your snow blower fixed!!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CST (19 min ago)
Temperature 38 °F 3 °C
Dew Point 32 °F 0 °C
Humidity 79%
Pressure 30.30 in 1026 mb
Wind Speed 23 MPH
G 35 20 kts
G 30
Wind Dir NNW 340°
Ceiling 1600 ft 488 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Wind Chill 27 °F -3 °C
Current Conditions Cloudy
Remarks Peak Wind: 30 kts from 340 (17:53 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 37.9°F / 3.3°C
6 hour max temperature ending 11:53am CST : 54.0°F / 12.2°C
3 hour precipitation ending 11:53am CST : 0.06"

Rest of today Cloudy, breezy. Highs in the lower 50s. North winds 15 to 25 mph.
Tonight Mostly cloudy early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Much colder. Lows in the mid 20s. North winds 15 to 20 mph.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Sharona.........I just read that iguanas are falling from the tree down there! It said that when the temps drop to 40°F their bodies shut down and they can not hold on. I hope you have a helmet!

Marylyn..........I'm not sure how much John Deere equipment is made in China but apparently snow blowers are--so sad. I hope your plants survive the big freeze intact.

Some time ago I posted the lyrics to the Greg Brown song Canned Goods. It's a good song for a cold winters day. I found a live performance here:

http://cowbell.fm/track/31031-greg-brown-canned-goods

early_bloomer

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOLOLing at the mental photo of iguanas raining around Sharon, while she holds a parasol..... LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The fun part will be when it starts raining Boa Constrictors!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ROFLOL!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And in Key West it might actually BE Raining Men!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Whew! I'm behind. all that talk about vampires scared me so much that my electricity went off for 2 1/2 hours yesterday (just kidding, LOL!) and when it came back on, my internet service wasn't working. When I finally got it all figured out and got back online it was today! LOL
Nevertheless, I had a good laugh from all the "vampire" pics!
Rann: I am so sorry about the IceSave "thing". I was hoping things would get better for you and your countrymen this year. and who would have thought that you folks in Iceland would be warmer temperature-wise than we folks in the Southern U.S.? Talk about global warming!!!??? LOL
EB: I heard about the iguanas falling out of the trees in Florida, too. Some story, huh?
Sorry I don't have time to comment on everything. Everyone stay warm and take care!

We actually had a sunrise yesterday.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 3b)

42*F Overcast here in Yelm, Washington.
Adina~I loved your winter photos; the puppies are cute and the markings are great.
Rusty~JuJu updates are great, too. Cleanup is such a chore. We no longer have a dog, but recall those days very well.
E_B I shudder at the thougth of critters falling out of trees in Florida. With no lizards/snakes in Alaska, it's pretty tame compared to that.
M2Keep~you mentioned earlier that it was a ways across the parking lot to the building you work in~is the parking lot icy? I seem to wake just before 6 no matter the season. It's now sunrise in Alaska shortly after 10am, so minutes of daylight are adding up already. We'll notice the gain, I'm sure.
This photo of our house was taken/emailed a few days ago. Luckily we don't use the front door. It's been hanging there, on the metal roof, for over a week. Snow/ice.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

crossed, marsue~love the sunrise; glad the electricity is back on and that your electronics are working.
Another view of the snow/ice overhang.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

Good evening! I started this post this morning, but got sidetracked and didn't have time to finish it ..... you've been pretty busy today and I don't have time to get caught up now so I'll just say hi! to everyone and get caught up tomorrow!

Yesterday was the last day of Christmas here (the 13th we call it - þrettándinn). There are bonfires and people shoot some more fireworks ..... kind of a mini - NYE ... we had a few things left so the girls and I went outside after dinner to light them. Then their dad came over with some more stuff .... so there was plenty for the girls :-) Had some hot cocoa when we came inside to warm up, so they went to bed WAY too late (after 11) ... I let them sleep in a while this morning, couldn't wake them up ....... ;-) I wouldn't mind one of those no-school because of bad weather days ;-) lol

It's 34°F degrees right now, light breeze from E at 3 mph. Had some slight rain drizzles on and off today ... partly cloudy.

Joey - I can answer that question for my part ..... I have a hard time getting up WITH an alarm .... I'd sleep until noon without it. ;-)

Sharon - unbelievable how long this cold spell's lasted .... hope it's warming up! Reg. Icemess I know what you mean .... we don't know what to think or say either ..... I really don't want to vote on this. On the bright side there have been some positive press coverage along with the bad .... there are voices saying that we should be treated fairly despite the fact that we're small, so maybe the President was on to something. I don't know. Hoping for the best anyway.

If anyone's interested in what all the hoopla's about and what we're up against here's an interview with our president on Newsnight (a British program) ....... he actually did an excellent job against an incredibly rude interviewer so I'm not quite as upset with him after that ;-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID6sDekCGmY&feature=related

Have a good night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone. Well it's frigid here in northwestern Missouri and we are sitting on zero right now with a low of around 8 to 10 below expected tonight with high winds and dangerously cold wind chills way below zero. Our driveway keeps covering over with snow from the northerly wind and our Xmas decorations are still up and on since they seem to help the bleak weather outside look a little prettier gazing at the blowing and drifting snow from the inside. The kids have built a large snow fort much higher than the railing around our front porch. My oldest kids just returned and said there was a snow plow being pulled out along our county road we live off of!! Tomorrow night will be the coldest then temps will begin to inch up into the 20's around Monday. Schools and activities are cancelled from the brutal wind chills here and ongoing drifting snow on roadways. Guess I will loose myself in some new garden catalogs this evening and dream about spring time!! Talk later,
Cuckoo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.