January 2010 - The Best Is Yet to Come!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

How can the Saints be in the Super Bowl when the Vikings will be there.
How pitiful some teams have looked the last two weeks. Like let's hope the clock runs fast so we can go home.

You southern types need some S--- once in a while so you know what the rest of the world puts up with. LOL!
I would come south for the winter, but I don't like to be away from home for long period of time. I can hide in the house!

-20º now, hope it don't go colder tonight. Got to a balmy -2º this afternoon.

Bernie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bernie the Vikings are now my 'go too' team.
Hope you get a bit of cold relief!

Ric

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Re: the Browns - Grrrrr!!!!!! :-(

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!

Cincy_Dawg

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Romania is a country I would love to know how they are doing since all the changes a few years back. We have a couple living here from Transylvania in Romania. He says the area here in the mountains of North Carolina is very similar to that part of Romania. The funny coincidence is that our county here is named Transylvania. In English it means "across the woods" or "through the woods."

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! I'm running late, so will make it quick...

Temp: 16°F
Feels like: 1°F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 5°
Humidity: 62%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 15 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:38 AM
Sunset: 5:19 PM
UV Index: 0 Low
We're under another wind chill advisory...WIND CHILLS COLDER THAN FIVE BELOW ZERO THIS MORNING... ACCUMULATING SNOWS ON WESTERN SLOPES TODAY AND TONIGHT... A COLD NORTHWEST FLOW INTO THE REGION WILL BRING A PROLONGED PERIOD OF SNOW SHOWERS TO THE MOUNTAINS... WITH MOST ACCUMULATIONS ON WESTERN SLOPES AREAS

Thanks Kelli for the warming pics! :D

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It still frigid 14.9* now and snow is about 3" or 4"....

JuJu won't go outside today too cold!

I just keep fight for the cold and warm...

JuJu's 2 months old yesterday...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

I've got a lot of catching up to do. We've been inundated with visits from family and friends some expected and most not, but always welcome. Everything I planned on doing for the last week hasn't happened LOL!

We're 20* colder than normal and we will be in this cold spot for the week. I like cold, but this is nuts. I don't know how you guys North of us deal with this for months at a time. We 're cold enough for snow, but no precip on the radar.

28.1 °F (Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)
Clear
Windchill: 30 °F
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 8 °F
Wind: 3.8 mph
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles

Hard freeze warning in effect until 10 am EST this morning...
Wind Chill Advisory in effect until 9 am EST this morning...
Hard freeze warning in effect from 11 PM this evening to 10 am EST Tuesday...

Today
Mostly sunny. High 47. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Lowest wind chill readings 16 to 20 in the morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

-20º this morning. Colder on some thermometers. DD car showed -23º.
I have the cars started & warming.

Took this pic of full moon at 11PM last night. Cold Blue Moon.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

All this talk about football teams has my head swimming, LOL, because I don't keep up with any of that "sports stuff". :o)) May the best team win--whichever one it turns out to be!!! :o))
Kelly: enjoying your photos, as usual. It's good to know that flowers are blooming somewhere in our country! LOL
Rusty, JuJu is sooooo cute! Hope you get to feeling better soon!
Marylyn: glad the dog's owner showed up and that the poor thing will be reunited with them today. :o)) I'm amazed that you get any snow at all in Houston!
Welcome back, Sharon! We've missed you around here! All that cold air down in your state will surely affect the citrus growers. not to mention the price of oranges and orange juice, etc.!! Hope it warms up down there soon! My poinsettia is beginning to "red-up", too.
Bernie: we've had a cold blue moon down here, too, but my camera doesn't take very good photos of the moon. They usually come out all blurry.
I hope all my DG friends stay safe and warm this winter, where ever you happen to live!!
It appears that a major portion of the country is experiencing a "deep freeze" at this point in time--even the deep south!
It is still cold here at my DD's house in Harrison and I heard that the Cabot schools(where I live) are closed so they must have gotten enough snow yesterday to close them down. :o(( I was planning on driving home tomorrow but it will all depend on the highway conditions. Around here, even 2" of snow shuts things down!
Here's the current weather for Harrison (I noticed that the low here on Thursday night is predicted to be -3F!!!)

# Today: Some morning flurries with mostly sunny skies expected later in the day. Very cold. High near 20F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Very cold. Low 7F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 8:41 AM

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Happy New Year, Sharon, good to hear from you!
Woodspirit, I'll be happy to share anything you'd want to know about Romania! Intersting about your county named Transylvania! Say Hi to the Romanian couple from me!
Rusty, that's a cute picture of JoJo!
E_B, beautiful view of your garden with all that snow! I have forgotten about how the sun looks like too!LOL Sorry your snow blower broke...ugh! I know what you mean aboiut your back hurting of too much shovelling!LOL
Mau, that's a lot of snow at your DD's place!
Marylyn, so nice of you to get the doggie to the shelter!
Joey, wow, you have more snow than us!
Kelli, thanks for posting those warm shots of such beautiful flowers! The Ceanotus spinosus looks like a Hoya!
It's still snowing here, slowly and no wind, but it will warm up again and the snow is going to melt. They have forecasted high temps for next months, up to 60...so unusual! 30 for now.
Here are some pics of my children playing with the snow yesterday.
First, Andreea rolling over a snowball which didn't want to get bigger!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I drove to work in the snow, just to find out the State offices are on an inclement weather policy! LOL Was a nice drive, I love snow, just not enough to live where it has to be shoveled or blown.

24.3 °F
Light Snow
Windchill: 24 °F
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 4 °F
Wind: 2.2 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph
Pressure: 29.99 in (Rising)
Visibility: 7.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds:
Few 1400 ft
Scattered Clouds 5000 ft
Overcast 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

(Zone 3b)

Raining this morning down here in this part of Washington state. 43*F.
It's time for the first cup/coffee; gkids will be going to back to school again; they have had a good Christmas vacation.
Loved seeing all the snow pics;).
Happy New Year as this first week is underway.
Missing Alaska, so here's a pic from April 1st.

Thumbnail by kiska

Hey, Marilyn! I forgot to answer you about getting the cold my DD had...both me and DH got it , but we took some pills and got well after only a day. I discovered a French med which is made out of wild duck liver and it's allowed in pregnancy . Actually it's good for getting imunity against viruses and it's used for babies treatment too.
Here's DS throwing a ball to a window of a room where DH was resting.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 11:07 AM

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kiska, great picture! Happy New Year to you and your family!
Crissy, for how long will be the offices under the inclement weather? At least you could get there!LOL
Another picture of DD throwing a snowball too.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

And the targetted window!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Adina: LOL at the show shots. I imagine your DH didn't appreciate the snowball on the window! LOL Interesting about the French med. for colds. We probably don't have it over here in the U.S. Our Food and Drug Administration requires years of testing before they approve any medication for our "market" over here, even if the medication has been used in Europe for a long time.
Kiska: it seems strange that you are "snowless" and we southerners are dealing with it--LOL pretty photo from last year, though.

The sun has come out here but since the high is only supposed to be about 20F today, I doubt if any of our snow will be melting.

(Zone 3b)

kelli~thanks for new thread. The photos of San Diego are so nice.
adina~loved the snowball pics:)) Glad you're both better; the medication sounds like it certainly worked.
marsue~not much snow in this part of Washington state; but there is snow further east/mountains. Unlike home, here, it seems you have a choice as to whether or not you want to go to the snow:)) Careful on the drive home; maybe it'll be better tomorrow.
Today's rain isn't bad, no wind with it, just misty.

(Zone 7a)

Hey, everyone! Crystal had her ultra-sound to find her babies sex and it's a girl! Yea! Her name will be Aurora Eve Bell.

32.1 °F with 36º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 32 °F
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 17 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.43 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Funny shot from Summer.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

20°F with more snow falling. The Lake Effect snow warning has now been extended until Tues at 7:00pm. I shoveled the driveway and walks 3 times yesterday--the last time at 11:00pm. We had another 10" of snow this morning so I shoveled it again. It's getting hard to throw the snow up over the piles now. I'm heading out in a bit to get the parts I need to repair the snow blower.

kwanjin...........Congratulations! Beautiful name!

kiska..........Love that April 1'st photo. (especially the blue skies) I wish MY camera had a setting that could let it look forward in time! :-)

Bernie..........-20°F!!! I saw some record lows were set in the upper mid-west. You have me beat for cold but I'll give you a run for your money for snow accumulation!

adinamiti........You never outgrow the urge to throw a snowball!

Joey..........Thanks for offering a chair--but I think I'll stand! ;-)

Photos: Just more snow. Down the drive this morning.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Oops!

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 2:21 PM

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Path to backdoor.

early_bloomer

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL at the snowball pranks Adina!
One of our new ORVG Members is from Dacula, OH......
There's a Transylvania University down in KY also.

Celia nice Bad Feather Day shot!
I love those!

e_b Gorgeous!!

Mau only Bernie's Team has a shot....
But as it's currently 78° in Pasadena
I vote we all go stay w/ Kelli and help her get over her disappointment.......

Well I got the first video up.
I've been playing w/ Flickr Video but will be adding it on You Tube probably.
Flickr limits you to 90 seconds.... it was a 3 minute ride...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/4239696980/

We had some good possibly GREAT news last evening.
It looks like Robyn's Parents' House up in Dayton is Sold.
That's the place we remodeled back in the Spring.
Everyone appears to be willing to go w/ the price that has been brokered so... we'll see how it plays out.
Obviously in this economy we won't get what we hoped for but,
it appears, will get an amount we can live w/.
It will be nice not to be looking ahead instead of over our shoulders...
especially w/ this cold weather and the heating bills we know will be coming...lol!

Ric

(Zone 7a)

I'm packing now, Ric.

Kelli, get ready for company!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

E_B~love those snowy shots~yes, a camera that looks ahead:)), that must be what I have, as last year's April is now this year's April. Too bad you've had to shovel so frequently, though.
Good news on the sale, ric. Hope it goes well.
kwanjin~cutie little bird~love the baby girl's name; I know you can't wait to hold her.

Quoting:
Kelli, get ready for company!

You might want to wait a few days. I think I'm getting a cold.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PST on January 04, 2010
69 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 20 °F
Wind: 17 mph from the North

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Cold.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Nothing like a cold to discourage guests, Kelli! Too bad--I was thinking about heading that way myself--69* sounds deliciously warm!! LOL Seriously--I hope you are not getting a cold and that you feel better soon!
EB: wow--talk about snow! No wonder you need a snow blower!!
Celia: cute birds but, as Ric said, they are having a bad hair day--LOL How exciting-- "we" will be having a boy through Adina and a girl through you! :o)) Love the name--so pretty!
Joey: yes, I think I'll stand, too! LOL
edited to add: Ric: I'm heading over to view your video now. :o))
edited again to add: Ric, it said I couldn't view the video because it was private. By the way, congrats on the sale of the house--hope everything works out okay for all of you.

Currently here in Harrison it "feels like" 17*F. and fast becoming Dyson dark.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Very cold. Low 6F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tomorrow: Sunshine. Cold. High 28F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

I'm planning on driving home tomorrow. The highways should be clear and I shouldn't have any trouble getting home. We are having another blast of really cold weather later in the week with more snow possible so I need to get home before the next round of bad weather.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 6:04 PM

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 6:08 PM

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

the bad weather my way wont go away till april hahahahah

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Poor Mona!! Our cold weather surely won't last that long,hopefully, but we did get two snows in March of last year, which is unusual for us.

hahahah snow in march we get snow, freezing rain and sleet in march and also in early april I have it snow in early may I also remember snow on june 28th one year hahaha I do live in the great white north

wish Id been born much further south but I didnt get to choose my parents or where they lived hahahahah

It seems that every year my garden is just starting to look full and amazing and then the frost comes and kills everything so depressing

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Fireplace mantel is done!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

7 degrees, feels like -4. Wind out of WNW at 6 mph, and dew point is -5.

It's freezing, the roads are a mess (and have been for 2 weeks now) and people are still getting stuck in the snow. Life's so exciting around here we can't hardly stand it. LOL. Always someone getting stuck still or sliding around on the ice. And we have more snow coming Weds. Gonna be soooooo much fun!!! LOLOL

well its nice to know I am not alone in my misery of winter, we had snow everyday for 10 days after an ice storm of three days so much fun

(Zone 7a)

Snow and cold here until the end of April, possibly May. Then, 1 week of Spring and straight into Summer the 90º-100º weather.

Sorry you're getting sick, Kelli.

You too Rusty and whomever else I missed.

And glad, finally, to hear from you Sharon. I KNEW I missed someone on my list! LOL

That looks great, Bernie!

I need ask a question of you and Ric. Can you paint a stone fireplace? If so, how?

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

You can certainly paint stone Celia but.... I'd maybe just change the hearthstone and mantel...
I'm not a fan of painted brick or stone... but that's just me.

Bernie I love that Mantel!

Mau do you have an account at Flickr?

Well here's the pond.... it's 20° here and won't drop much tonight.
We've gotten more snow since I took this shot this afternoon.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here you can see the falls running under the ice...
the fish should be fine..

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Ric, I tried to look at the video, too, and it said it was private even though I made an account.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Celia, Aurora Eve is a beautiful name. ^_^

Winter is definitely taking a dip south this week! Brrrr.... (I just came in from covering the most tender plants.) They've taken the S word out of our forecast for later in the week, though. Too bad... as long as it's going to be cold, it might as well snow!

We were going to get back to our regular homeschool routine today, but we ended up running a lot of errands instead. Tomorrow we're taking food to a friend who just had surgery. She has 6 kids, so we may end up hanging out there and letting her rest. But on Wednesday we WILL do homeschool!!!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53pm CST (20 min ago)
Temperature 34 °F 1 °C
Dew Point 25 °F -4 °C
Humidity 69%
Pressure 30.51 in 1033.3 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir NNW 340°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Wind Chill 30 °F -1 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53pm CST : 41.0°F / 5.0°C

Tonight Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 20s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

kwanjin..........You can paint just about anything. That doesn't mean everything looks good painted though. A former coworker liked to tell the story about getting in big trouble as a kid. It seems he decided to paint a live holstein cow. He claimed it really soaked up the paint and he had several gallons of white house paint on it by the time he quit. This guy was a real character and I have no doubt the story was true.

Bernie.........that fireplace really looks impressive!

Ric........Well I certainly hope you got some more snow. Definitely looks like there is a shortage there!

Photo: Old winter scene from a couple of years ago.

early_bloomer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.