What's for dinner? Pt 2

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Normally I wouldn't be so accommodating but we were dropping them of at my sister in laws. So I didn't want to stick her with a tired hungry toddler. My pediatrician told me the best way to deal with picky eaters is to tell them the food they have is all they will get for the evening and stick to your word. It is a lot harder to do than say though. Especially with my 2 year old. She'll go in the cabinets and pull everything out if I leave the room for even a second.

Thomaston, CT

Sounds like my 3 yr old GD , Anni---she likes sweets---I think it's genetic. Made baked ziti & meatballs, my sister brought antipasto, & I bought a tiramisu cake---there were 13 of us, everyone seemed to have a good time, but I'm dead in the water!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Get out of the water!

Mmmm... baked ziti...

Baked ziti and meatballs is one of my faves! :)
My 2 yr old definitely seems to genetically have her dad's taste buds. The other day she shocked me by eating a slice of liverwurst, then again she ate a sandwich with liverwurst and cheese. I would never eat that but her dad loves it. She also pretty much lives off white rice ... another of dad's faves. It wouldn't bother me if I never ate another bite of minute rice. ;)

Oh :) and I'm having my leftover beef stew.

North Augusta, ON

I could almost live on Minute Rice!! with a big whack of butter melted into it and salt and pepper...mmmmmm

Toasted tomato sandwiches tonight.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

New York Pizza! ½ sausage/ ½cheese! Yipee!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Beef & barley soup. WC - real NY pizza has three halves!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Ok, then it's Long Island pizza, but the pizza guys are imported from Queens!... (lol!)

Hee hee.

South Hamilton, MA

pork hash, made with leftover pork. Add rice, soy sauce Turn off heat, then stir in lettuce. Ok it's bound together with an egg, before adding the lettuce.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I miss NY style pizza, sorry Trenton, tomato pie just does not compare.

We all had different things tonight, hubby had a cheesesteak, I had raviolis and kids had soup

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, I remember a resturant that was a couple of blocks away from Helene Fuld Nursing School, A Villa something or other, they made a really good NY style pie. I'm not sure any of that is still there or not, it was out off of Brunswick Ave. I think. Ric

Thomaston, CT

I will miss having great pizza while in FL---they just don't get it right!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Denville is not so hot for pizza either Jen... when we want the good stuff we get it by my mom

North Augusta, ON

Hard to find a good pizza pretty much anywhere unless you live in a large city and even then not guaranteed. Pizza Hut is the best around here...

We had mild Italian sausage/sauerkraut/cheese on good buns tonight.

NY has the best. Must be the toxic water.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Last night's menu:

**Grilled duck breast
**Cabernet Sauvignon gravy
**Knodel
**Red cabbage

My tough sommelier job came up with the pairing of a 2007 Young's Vineyard (CA) Sangiovese Shenandoah Valley, from Amador County in the Sierra Foothills.

Tonight we're angling towards:

**German peasant Schinken Nudeln (ham, Gruyere cheese, flat noodles, onions, garlic, double smoked bacon) with a fresh tomato sauce
**Salad of baby greens, tomatoes, Marcona almonds, goat cheese, olive oil, orange juice, and sea salt

I imagine my contemplation will reveal that a semi-dry Riesling will be right at home with this. Being low on German-born bottles, a 2006 Dr. Konstantin Frank Riesling (NY) will fill the bill. That one originates in the Finger Lakes.

Love red cabbage. Never tried duck, nor pheasant. Are they strong, VV?

Just had some (Cheap) Riesling!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

My son makes a very good pizza, chops fresh herbs, he is a better cook than I am.

Now that he's in NYC, he'll make them even better!

heehee!
He was just offered a promotion and hasn't told me yet if he is accepting it...

Great!! Congrats to him. You mean he's thinking of not staying?

South Hamilton, MA

Duck stronger than pheasant. wild duck stronger than domestic as they eat strange things in salt water. don't care for the wild but we eat domestic for thanksgiving.

When he was home for Thanksgiving he wanted to move back home, then the next week or so he was offered the promoton and I still don't know what he decided. I know he misses trees and his car! But the promotion is $1,000 a month more so...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'm trying to remember if I've ever had pheasant in a restaurant - certainly not at home. Duck, on the other hand, we have pretty commonly as it is readily available and not expensive at all. These are duck breasts we get from Cincinnati's Findlay Market that are farm-produced in OH.

Marianne puts it best:

Quoting:
The duck breast flavors are a combination of dark meat turkey and filet mignon.

I'd add that you can't pair them much better than with a beautiful Chianti Classico Riserva.

The Finger Lakes Riesling I mentioned? Picked it up here for $6; can't account for how it was offered for that (must have been wanting to clear out stock) because I'm pretty certain it costs more than that from the winery. Price doesn't necessarily ever mean you'll like how a wine tastes. It is usually a gauge of what others think of it, and how much a winery thinks they can get for it (along with supply/demand).

A lot like some plants...

Nice offer, Deb. There are a few trees in Astoria!

VV - thanks. Might give duck a try in that case. I will look for that Riesling. I agree about the disconnect between cost and quality.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

VV, sounds good! I had duck once. Never had pheasant.

They say it has something to do with the water that's why you can't get good pizza in FL.

Another free for all tonight(it was going to be filet mignon but they weren't fully defrosted),
Rice and beans for me, daughter had a waffle, son had pasta and hubby had bbq pork

South Hamilton, MA

After my father-in-law died our supply of pheasant was over. The place where he could hunt on Long Island is now a housing development.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

vv- love both duck and pheasant - especially duck - and sounds like you know your wine - wish i was there

had the big family xmass meal and as usual my brother's kids had hockey games and their family were late by 3 hours - and we waited against my protests (this has gone on for 10 years) and the 17 pd. Delmonico roast was over cooked - what a waste! - best thing on the table was the string beans we made - too bad

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

So sorry wha:-(

Had duck once, I found it to be very greasy. Is pheasant like cornish hens?

Bummer, Bill. That's really annoying.

That's what I had heard, Joyce. That's why I asked VV.

He's saying "Do I look like a cornish hen? :-)

Thumbnail by jadajoy

Nothing beats genuine NYC pigeons.

Or pigeon peas :-)

Love them! I make Spanish rice with them.

Ohhh, I need the recipe. I have just been crock potting them.

I'll post it, Joyce.

Thanks.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

We had chicken, corn and rice last night.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2009 12:04 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.