Getcher Fresh Confessions right here!!

Santa Fe, NM

Have a good trip, Betty. Don't worry about the roof. I hear pro panel is very inexpensive to replace pieces of if it gets damaged. How could people tell the hail had damaged it? Did it leak? Dents might create little pools that could cause leaks.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Glad to hear the memorial service was nice and brought back good memories roybird, little dog and all. How sad to lose such a young vibrant woman. One wants answers when things like this happen. At least I do.

Oh, I thought pro-panel was metal. I new it was supposed to be better than shingles. I guess that's why I thought it was metal. I suspect the people who objected to the dents in their pro-panel saw little dents and thought they should be repaired by car dents ?? who knows??

I will have fun in New Orleans, Mississippi and hopefully Cajun country.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

It is metal. I believe there are a variety of high tech coatings used on metal roof panels.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I've lived in this house almost 15 years. The roofing is guaranteed 20 years. There have been leaks, caused from ice buildup from frozen eaves troughs. So this year am having electric ice preventing tapes installed on north side of house. Except we have been getting some rain, almost the first rain since March. The fellow who works for me didn't work this past week so not much accomplished with the roof.

I caught a pesky cold a couple of days ago so have not been going anywhere so as not to spread any germs. Nothing much to take pictures of here so not doing that either.

Kyla glad you have a new place to look forward to garden.

Paj, do have a safe trip and nice visit in Miss. Eat lots of good Cajun food, one of my favorite eats.

roybird, sure wish I lived closer to Santa Fe.

Donna

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

What is the singular of eaves? Is it eaf?
In that case, we have an eaf where the sparrows like to nest.
Thereunder find we many eafdroppings.

It is clear that I need some of that Todos Santos chocolate before things get any worse.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Definitely it's eaf. I have been updating my dictionary to correct all the bizarre plurals that are nonsensical. Eaf it is. Also if you go hiking you might see meese. One moose: two meese. That one moose: two moose thing I corrected along time ago. ps cool about the sparrows nesting in the eaf!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The problem with correcting English too much is that you end up with German.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pshaw dear Dave-who-is-Dave. I've been correcting my dictionaries since I've been a seedling and although I have my own 'speak' so far so good ^_^ ps I do have guilt about one thing that I learned this week. I have always been careful to use dictionary english speak when talking to international members in case English is their second language but I just learned that some visionly impaired members have 'talking' computers (is that COOL or what?!) however I bet my dahliaspeak comes out as gobbleygook :( I never thought about that :(

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, that's cool to know about the speakies! I had a couple of blind friends in NC who each had a speaking computer........ but these ones have speakies that translate too? Or, no........ they just understand spoken speech more than written speech probably.

Is "eaf" descended from "leaf"?

Perhaps that is why leafs accumulate so readily in eafs?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay, I am officially overwhelmed and will probably stay that way for a long time.

I am attempting to find a good path through all the tasks presenting themselves about moving a garden, or parts of a garden. Fortunately it will be quite a bit easier to move me and my household stuff and there is no rush, but the weather and season mean to me it is time to move move move on the garden!

But yesterday I was dogatonic not to mention work had my by the throat, and today I decided I had to just start for pete's sake, so I went out and made a nice list with spaces under each thing, of every plant I know I want to move and then added some maybes at the end. (Spaces to write where it goes.)

Thought I might go walk around the new place this afternoon and start getting notions of where to put what (actually I already have a few beginning notions) but decided to do laundry instead and do the next plant step tomorrow.

I have 21 entries on my list and most of them have multiple plants in there, like, 5 of this and two of that kind of thing.

Whoa.

It will not be as much work as I think though, that always happens, when I get started, I end up finishing quicker than I predict.

anyway, got the laundry done. ;-)

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Very perspective of you, Dave, to notice that my English was really German.
I highly doubt that Dahliaspeak will ever resemble German.

Now, Are You Sitting Down, Dear Dnut? Because I have a technology that is plus que parfait for Dahliaspeaking on computers:
Speech recognition software. My program is Dragon Naturally Speaking. Whatever you say into the microphone, it types. Fast.
Any words that are not in its dictionary (such as "agglutinating"), you can simply teach it. And it will know that word thereafter. Even if you want to teach it words like "eafdroppings" and "visionly" and "thereafterupon".
And it won't go "correcting" your malaprops.
You might want to write to Santa.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

:O :O Are you saying that visionally impaired peoples could get dahliaspeak translators picante! O I will so ask Santa to gift that! I am penning my monthly letter to Santa this weekend so it should be good to go by Christmas! Thanks everso. Seriously one has already got 'prettiful' and 'fabby' entered as words into her program. Won't it be wonderous when the whole world speaks Dahliaspeak ^_^

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Indeed, the world is a better place with Dahliaspeak, I predict that someday it will be a recognized and honored dialect. Picante, amazing that you know and can work these things... WOW!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

This opens untold, and heretofore unspoken, possibilities. I just got in the mail Macspeech Dictate, which uses Dragon Naturally Speaking as its base. My DH is trying to learn something about the computer and obviously is never going to get along well with a keyboard, so I thought I would try getting him to talk to it.

That he is even interested is an earth shattering development. After all, this is the man who, before I met him, was gifted a digital watch. As he tried to set it, it went further and further into the twilight zone. He finally solved the problem by opening the wood stove and throwing it in.

I think I will not introduce Dahliaspeak right away in this process... And I am afraid too much eafdropping might disturb him, I shall proceed carefully indeed.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Dragon Naturally Speaking is extremely easy to use. Just think of it as dictation software. You talk, it types.
It never misspells anything, but it does misrecognize words.
For example, when I said "Urea contains ammonia", it wrote "Your rear contains ammonia".
So you get hilarious entertainment along with being able to write at the speed you talk.

I haven't actually tried altering the spelling of words in the dictionary. Or entering alternate spellings. I'll leave that to Dnut.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

i confess that we are putting our house on the market, and hopefully moving to Elizabeth.

YEAH!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Greenjay,
Not Queen Elizabeth? Where is Elizabeth??? What are the gardening possibilities? Will you be free of homeowner's associations there?

Kyla,
I think your move will turn out to be fun. You are remarkable if things take LESS time than you expect, it usually goes the other way for me.

And Naturally SSSpeaking,
I sussspect I may have a little trouble with Macspeech for awhile, but not really due to the program. All my s's are more like sssss'sssss at the moment. This has to do with the fact that I wassss ssssuposssed to get my denturessss right after the teeth were extracted. However, my denturist proceeded to crash his airplane the week before the surgery. He walked away from it, but then discovered he had actually broken his back. He will be all right, but is not exactly working anything like a normal schedule. Due to my health isssssuessss the dentist and I went ahead without him and the dentures. I am hoping to have them by Thanksgiving...

Life is really too bizarre sometimes. But I am rapidly feeling way better, did the right thing here.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well no big surprise that I don't wear a watch. I think watches are very discombobulated and they confuse me so I have never gone there and I applaud the tossing into the woodstove theory. Know nothing about Dragon Speak. Sadly I have been unsucessful at impressing a dragon. But roybird has so I defer to her. Mulch sounds like your're feeling a tad perkier. Hope so ^_^ Dear Picante there are no dictionary police. Feel free to edit at will!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Crosssssss posted. You know that you could have waaaaaay to much fun with this Mulch ^_^ Greenjay this is VERY exciting news! Please keep us posted!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You are right, picante. Dahliaspeak will never resemble German. I think it is better that way.

Kyla, I would keep in mind that the amount of time that you think it will take you to move your belongings is not how long it will take you. At least that has been my experience. I would allow yourself 50% longer than you think you'll need at least.

Congrats on your move too, greenjay.

Mulch, have fun with your toothlessness. You can say things to people you wouldn't normall be able to say and they'll never know it.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Hmm, I had not thought about how I could exploit the ssssituation. The odd thing is I can talk to people on the phone and they cannot tell anything even happened to me, apparently the ssss'ssss are more like ss'ss on the phone.

Dahliasssspeak does not resemble any known language because it has been through a weather transsporter.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

That exxxxxxxplains it!

OMG, so many laughs & snorkles tonight. Thanks, I'll sleep better.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Very funny ad interesting thread, altho I did not understand much of the different speaks!!!!I

I lost a tooth yesterday, of course on the weekend. It is a very important front upper, just fell out when I was eating a little hard icecream. It is one, capped, that broke off when I fell almost 2 years ago. Nothing to really glue it back in place except just glue to one on each side of it. I have been biting very carefully eversince. Hopefully my dentist will return my call and i will get to see him tomorrow. I haven't been going anywhere as don't want to spread my cold germs.

Here is a picture of my Clerodendron ugandense, Blue Butterfly. Forgive me if I already posted it on this thread.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That is a gorgeous flower! Sorry to hear about your tooth, dental problems are never fun.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous flower indeed! Love those blues!

Sorry about your tooth, hope your dentist responds quickly.

Paj & Kyla - DBG has a green roof on top of the new cafe (where the gift shop/bookstore used to be). http://www.botanicgardens.org/content/green-roof
As you walk up the stairs to the roof, there is quite the display of how it was done. Apparently it involves considerable structural support, drainage and sealing/waterproofing. The gardens is also putting a green roof on top of the new parking garage and will be doing living walls on the outsides of it. They may be a good resource for info if you're serious about doing a green roof. 720-865-3585 gets you a person at the info desk and then they can transfer you to whomever there would be able to talk to you about the particulars.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

[This post was dictated with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]

Goodness, that blue butterfly flower is so very sky blue.

Him, I hope all this tooth thievery and or removal is not a trend.
["Him" should have been "Hmmm".]

Dalia, I just added the word "frabjous", and DNS recognizes it, but it misspelled your name. I also added the word "gobbleygook", but I did not delete the word "gobbledygook".

I realize there are no dictionary police, but if I start altering the spellings of words in the DNS dictionary, they will be spelled that way in my translations. Probably not good for business!

Boy sure Madame, pundit who in 2000?
(That's what happens when you speak French to the English version of DNS. What I said was "Bonjour, Madame, prenez-vous une tisane?")

Santa Fe, NM

That sounds like a whole lot of fun! Franglish. I like talking to Dragons but am glad my computer doesn't want to speak. I like the little clickies on the keys! I feel like I'm typing, like a grown up! My voice is worn out today from talking all day at the garage sale yesterday and up 'til midnight talking to my S.I.L. Couldn't wait to get to meditation today and not talk. Greenjay, where is Elizabeth? I keep thinking of the Elizabeth River which is in Virginia or New Jersey, may be both. Mulch, glad you are feeling better and hope you get those dentures soon. So your dragon will behave properly.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I love the idea of speaking French to an English computer! The awesome possibilities. You could publish a book titled, " The Inadvertent Poet" after trying that out for awhile...

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh, my computer's not English. The keyboard is bilingual, a couple of programs are in French, many are bilingual, and Windows & Office are in English. There is a French version of Dragon Naturally Speaking, but I don't have it.

And of course the processor is whatdoyoucallit.... binary?

It would be fun to find one of Baudelaire's translations of Edgar Allan Poe and read it to DNS. We could call it "The Poet in Spite of Himself" ("Le Počte malgré lui")

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

...subtitled "dragon naturally speaking"...

I love that phrase..........

Dave, moving the garden will take less time than I think probably cause I always have some kind of invisible help for most garden things. Moving the rest of myself will likely take longer than I think, as you opine, probably cause the invisible help could care less about that part.

Greenjay, congrats! and good luck, we can cheer each other on, moving-wise.

Ruth, I lost a tooth in that position myself once, it was not fun. But, 'scuse me, "hard icecream"????

Okay, going back to my dogatonia interspersed with mad bouts of activity. I have scrapped plan A which consisted of trying to create a plan, and have adopted Plan B, which is known as the Planless Plan.

I think it will all work better that way.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I confess that I am much more articulate when I type than when I speak.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Hard ice cream is the regular stuff. Soft ice cream is the stuff they sell at the Non-Dairy Queen and other "soft serve" facilities.

Contrary to rumors, it is not ice cream laced with booze.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

*darn* Had my hopes up there for a while. ;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

picante your puter is too funny trying to speak natural Dragonspeak. I would be worried if my puter started speaking. I would think it was poltergists. Except for the wizard that lives in there. I would like it if the wizard could talk.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh Dahlia dear, it doesn't actually talk to me. It listens. Politely, for a Dragon. 'Tis a very educated Dragon, which you can buy in several languages.

Santa Fe, NM

Dragon speech is not obtrusive. They generally do not speak until spoken to and sometimes not then. Dragons are wise. It would be cool to do pictures with captions in Dragonspeak. My Spanish is not so bueno but I could come up with some phrases and then see how your dragon interpreted them in English.

Reno, NV

Hmm... boozy ice cream!?! I may have to make a new flavor. Or I could just go home and make bread pudding with hard sauce. Drool.

I love traslation software. You can make just about anything hystarical by translating it a few times.

Reno, NV

I confess I've been off here so long I haven't introduced you to my new Woof. If the photo works this is Mufasa. We adopted him in june and he's turned into the sweetest pup. He was in really bad shape when we got him, I'll see if I can find one of the old photos. And he's furryer than this now.

Thumbnail by duchessdreams

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.