How about more flower pictures?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

one more

Thumbnail by lisabees
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Great photos, lisabees. Love the lion's ear with big hairy balls. Great photo for exotic plant lovers. Also the prickly pear with fruits and bloom is lovely. Well, and then there is the rose. All lovely!

And then there is the scenery department. Echo Lake and Mt. Evans are also beautiful!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes Brenda you are right I am in montana and Alaska. 2 weeks at each place. I work in Alaska and live in Montana. We have had very warm (for this time of year) here in Montana. Though we had a frost last night so colors should be happening over the next month. I am home for my favorite time of year, fall. I get 3 wks here with my DW. Soon I will have pictures. Lots and lots of Asters but it is cloudy today so later.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly fall pics lisabees. I specially like the cactus with the california poppy.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful pics, Lisabees! The snow capped mountains are gorgeous, and I love the perspectives of near and far. I was wondering what the plant with the balls on it was... thanks for that Paja...

Soferdig, how fun that must be for you traveling between Alaska and Montana. Can't wait for more pictures!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The plant with the balls was a subject of much laughter among the Rocky Mt. Forum people the first time we met at Denver Botanic Gardens. I think I mortified Kenton, now INeedACupOfTea, by showing him the big hairy balls. But, ever the botanist, he soon began taking pictures of them and was soon growing them from seed. Here they are in Plantfiles. They are a noxious invasive in tropical climates, but no problem to stop in the Rocky Mountains.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/61453/

During my last visit to the DBG, the hummingbirds were waiting in line to sip from the Lion's Ears. Cool looking plant and also very popular with hummingbirds.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

"I think I mortified Kenton, now INeedACupOfTea, by showing him the big hairy balls" LOL!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

well I think the mortification was helped along by a bunch of > 30 ladies hollering "hey, Kenton, look at the big hairy balls!"

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ohhhh man I wish I was there for that!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I stayed out of it ("big Hai.. .....". How is Kenton? I miss him on this forum.
This was flying into Petersburg 5 days ago. Most wonderful place in AK.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

OH. Just look at that forest! Sigh.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Forest I got. I miss water drooooooooool

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Pretty aerial shot, Soferdig!

Here's another pic of the Big Hairy Balls. Hilarious - my Mother-In-Law was with at the gardens with us & she got quite a kick out them too. Thanks for the link Paj, I didn't realize they were an asclepias.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

They really are big, hairy balls, aren't they?

Changing topics:
Sofer, that looks absolutely beautiful!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am so glad that you changed subjects Bsavage. LOL I am still chuckling. LOL LOL LOL

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Santa Fe, NM

Beautiful pictures! Lisabees, I also especially like the cactus and poppy. I agree that New Mexico is more yellow than red Colorado or blue-green Alaska. Went up to visit the aspens today.

Thumbnail by roybird
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous aspens, Roybird, Really beautiful!!!!

Sofer, I don't know what that pic is (cause it's small even when you click on it), but maybe that is a good thing...

Now I'm still laughing...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, greenjay, it was no doubt the **well** over 30 women laughing over the big hairy balls which mortified Kenton. Poor guy. But he was very gracious about it.
As for, Kenton, sof, I had a brief chat with him this past fall at DBG. He was with his boss, a young woman from the Botanic Garden where he works. They went off somewhere promising to return to the Rocky Mt. Forum lunch, but never made it back. I understand they were picking up a tree for their botanic garden from a Denver Botanic Garden person.
Kenton says he is doing great, loves his new job at the Botanic Garden and is very busy at it. His boss apparently does a lot of blogging -- that's what she was doing at the sale. But they got away before I found out what the name of her blog is and if it is about plants. Seems like it would be, but who knows?
I miss Kenton on the thread, too, but I think his active life is proving very satisfactory to him -- so much so that he doesn't have time for on line chat. He did tell me that he had moved to an apartment and no longer had a yard. I was shocked. I wonder who has his beautiful banana trees and magnolia now?
When I expressed dismay that he had given up his garden, he said that he did it because the apartment had a greenhouse, but that the greenhouse has turned out not to be a very good one and he felt it was a mistake to move there.
That's all I had a chance to learn in that brief chat.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks PJ I just wondered about him.
The picture is a mushroom I down loaded from DG somebody posted. I just thought that as a man I needed to talk about the "big bottom" mushrooms.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Snorkle!
letsee.... zat would be....
les champignons "grande derrière"
which isn't any worse than
les Grands Tétons

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That is quite a picture. I thought I had seen it before on DG, but couldn't remember where. A one line google search revealed a blog by Elizabeth, who I am pretty sure is Kenton's new boss and who was with him at the Botanic Garden. She was sitting on a bench blogging while the rest of us yakked. Now that is serious blogging. I think this must be it:

http://www.wcbgblog.blogspot.com/

Edited to add:
Check out Sept. 29 and you will find out why Kenton didn't show up for lunch at greenjay's house. Sounds like be and Elizabeth were treated to a special tour of the DBG after hours.
Elizabeth's blog tells of all the cool nurseries she has been visiting in New Mexico and all the cool places she found to eat -- some of which I haven't ever heard of!

This message was edited Oct 3, 2009 4:28 PM

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Yep, your guesses are correct pajarito. They were down here Monday night telling me about their tour at DBG and seeing he botanical gardens here. I never knew my garden was "flirty," but apparently it is.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Did you see them?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I'd like to see what a flirty garden looks like. I bet Dahlia's garden is loquacious. Our front yard is sophomoric, I'd say.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes, I saw them. They spent the night in my spare bedroom.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

How neat! Had you met them before?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

He is a wonderrful person. Say hi to him from me. Tell Him I miss him.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I had only met Kenton online and not Elizabeth. They are both neat people and devoted to what they do.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I didn't think you had met him in our usual DBG gatherings. I don't know Elizabeth, but I think the world of Kenton and suspect I would like Elizabeth as well. Definitely both are committed to what they do and I completely agree with Sof about him. I have learned a lot from Kenton in the brief time I have known him and purchased one of his unique had made teapots around the time he graduated.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Didn't know he made teapots.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am so jealous that you have a 'flirty' garden Dave-who-is-Dave.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

See Teapots at the following website. Don't know if he is still making them, but he takes tea seriously.

http://www.freewebs.com/ineedacupoftea/

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I will have to do more flirting when I'm in my garden.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Generally speaking, it takes more than one to flirt ...
unless you're flirting with an idea
or disaster

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Haha - flirting with disaster - I do that all the time!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL! I love the idea of a "flirty" garden!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am developing a'flirty' training plan for my garden. Crappola I'm sure that I don't have flirty plants :( Dave-who-is-Dave we need training! This is my fav patch right now. How do I make it flirty?

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Looks pretty flirty to me! What on earth did Kenton mean? If dparsons cannot illuminate Kenton's pronouncement we will have to email the great Kenton ourselves! Heck, who doesn't want a flirty little garden? Well, maybe the Queen of England, or the President of the US, but the rest of us do. Maybe funeral homes wouldn't want flirty little gardens.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I wonder if it's DwiD's plants or his layout that's flirty. For example, you could be really coy by not-quite-hiding things.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

LOL! It was Elizabeth's comment on her blog, not Kenton's. She did mention the licorice scented Agastaches planted close enough to the walk to brush people as they walked by. Impish would have been my word, but ... I believe flirty is in the something of the beholder.

I'm not sure I'm capable of training anybody. Flirty wasn't in my list of intended outcomes. Even if I am capable, I don't think I want to deal with DH's after flirting lessons with their DW's anyway. As for you dahlianut, I think you ooze flirtyness and don't need one iota of training from me.

The more I think about it, flirty isn't a bad thing but it needs to be tested. I will have to pursue this. Perhaps I'll have to have Elizabeth back down to help me investigate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.