How long have you been a member at Dave's Garden?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)
There are a total of 480 votes:

Less than a year.
(83 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Between one and two years.
(77 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Between two and four years.
(141 votes, 29%)
Red dot

Between four and six years.
(121 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Between six and eight years.
(31 votes, 6%)
Red dot

More than eight years!
(27 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

somewhere, PA

I thought I joined in 2001 but it was Jan 2002. I goofed up the stat's a bit.

I remember googling "gardening" often to see what was around. I found
www.garden .com in the late 90's. Ugh. Whoever thought a site could thrive
by selling plants from a bunch of sources. I found DG and at first thought it
was a bit goofy to have to pay. But then a good friend kept talking about the
wonderful coops and swaps she participated in until I finally paid for a subscription.
(Maybe in 2003 or 2004?) And I've been a DG addict ever since.

Tam

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, it's true, they were worried!

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Cult? What cult? ....*must have more plants.....must have more plants.....must have more plants...* Huh? Oops! (slapping self here, Wake Up! Wake Up!) Nah, nah, no cults around here! grin.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

pirl is talking about benefits.
Back a couple years ago a member was moving to the country from the city. There were many problems with the little farm they wanted to buy. Lots of DG members chimed in with some good advice. Saved them a bundle if they had hired a lawyer for the same advice.

And the Round Up's. Over half the plants in my yard are from plant swaps at Round Up's.
Heading off to KY RU in a week & a half.
Picture is last year sitting around the campfire by the lake on Sat. evening.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It was actually dark & only light was from the fire & the full moon. I lightened the photo to see the people. Anybody recognize anyone ?
We would have never went to KY, let alone meet all these wonderful people if it wasn't for Dave's.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Amen, Pirl.
And the subscription fee has been reimbursed many times over by the plants/seeds that DG members have kindly given or traded me at RUs and visits.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I've only been a member since January and the $25.00, (including the $5.00 trial membership) has been repaid at least twice over so far.

And that's not to mention the fun I've had and friends I've made.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2009 5:37 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

cult activities include periodic ritual gatherings of worshippers, circling each other while carrying sacred plants and chanting "have you ever grown this? You gotta have some!"

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Sally! And sharing secret knowledge! And recruiting others! sounds like a cult to me.

My sister doesn't even stop at Blooms' house after work on Tuesdays, 'cause that's Chat night.

~'spin!~

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This just showed up in my Inbox, and somehow it seemed appropriate to the discussion at hand and the sentiments so many have expressed:

Every single evening
As I'm lying here in bed,
This tiny little Prayer
Keeps running through my head:

God bless all my family
Wherever they may be,
Keep them warm
And safe from harm
For they're so close to me.

And God, there is one more thing
I wish that you could do;
Hope you don't mind me asking,
Please bless my computer too.

Now I know that it's unusual
To Bless a motherboard,
But listen just a second
While I explain it to you, Lord.

You see, that little metal box
Holds more than odds and ends;
Inside those small compartments
Rest so many of my friends.

I know so much about them
By the kindness that they give,
And this little scrap of metal
Takes me in to where they live.

By faith is how I know them
Much the same as you.
We share in what life brings us
And from that our friendships grew.

Please take an extra minute
From your duties up above,
To bless those in my address book
That's filled with so much love.

Wherever else this prayer may reach
To each and every friend,
Bless each e-mail inbox
And each person who hits 'send'.

When you update your Heavenly list
On your own Great CD-ROM,
Bless everyone who says this prayer
Sent up to GOD.Com

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I've been a subscribed member a little over two years. I became a member 6 months before that but until I started reading forums I really didn't know what a great site this was/is. Sure a good way to get a 74 yr. old reved up again.

Idaho Falls, ID

No slot (circle?) for "I don't know,". I just left it blank and clicked, then saw that I probably wasn't counted, so actually looked it up! 3 yr six months-I did use the free parts for a year before that.

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

woofie, liked the poem. God blesses friendship through whatever means I'm sure.
Samigal, Stay reved up! Sure hope I can at 74. My Mom is 79 and is an amazing gardener, Dad keeps out of it
he's 88, but then he always did, come to think of it.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My namesake, the real PIRL, was a wonderful former neighbor who taught me to garden. At 88 she could no longer get up from weeding, due to arthritis, so she used a long handled weeder. She continued on maintaining her own garden, except for the mowing, until she was 95 and died at 102. If DG was around back then she'd probably have never stopped!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I have no doubt I found Dave's on a google search for a plant, coming to Plant Files. Curiosity about getting into the forums brought me to subscribe and I've been here ever since.

I've met so many wonderful people, both here on the 'net and in person. Attended my first Roundup in Tenn and the second in Ky. Been to so many in Florida now that I couldn't keep count anymore.

Friends here have helped me through bad times and good, making no judgments, always supportive. Should I ever go on a road trip again, I know I could stop in most every state and be welcomed by friends I have met here.

A cult? An addiction for sure. I tried to break it a couple times (just to see if I could) and didn't last 24 hours. Couldn't stand to be away from my gardening friends for that long.

6+ years and don't remember not being here.

Molly

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I had to look at my member page to remember... Wow! It's already been 5 and a half years.

Mucho thanks to Dave for the last 5 and a half years of this great website and here's to many more (raising my morning cup of tea).

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

My 5 yr mark will be on Oct. 23. I think I stumbled across the site through GWD and it's one of only 2 sites that I'm willing to pay for--in fact I'd drop the other (recipe) site in a hot second if I had to choose:lol:

Started out mainly into seeds and now I'm a co-op nut and shipping and receiving plants/rhiz. from some of the gardening friends I've met here. I like plants that I'd never been interested in before:lol: There hasn't been one day that I haven't learned something new whenever I log on here.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

I first came to Dave's Garden May 20, 2001 under the name of
Jennyanydots

On May 3rd 2003 I joined Dave's and used my given name of deann. As far as I'm concerned, you can not find a better garden site. I have made some wonderful lasting friendships here in Dave's not only from other states, but my state (Michigan) as well.

Deann

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Boy, does time fly! I've been on DG 8 years and 5 months. Can't believe it.

Gosh...We attended a small get-together at Dave & Trish's house with some other early members in 2001, then the first roundup in Crossville, TN in 2002. Our 7th annual roundup is coming up next weekend in Kentucky!

This message was edited Sep 6, 2009 2:44 PM

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

It's really wonderful to see how many names I recognize here as frequent and valued posters, some within my region, and others as far away as France and New Zealand. I visited DG infrequently for a couple of years, but decided to become a member when we moved from Florida to Virgina and I realized that here were REAL people, with hand-on experience, a host of gardeners with the quality of information that can rarely be found outside of a university or professional situation. All of this virtually at my fingertips 24/7.

Thank you Dave and Friends of Dave's Garden.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I just realized that I had signed up 2.5 years earlier under a different name than MistyMeadows. I actually have been here almost 9 years, as I first joined as farminggrandmaofky on 4/21/01.

:) Kathy

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

I subscribed about 5 and 12 years ago and have never regretted it. I found this site when I was looking for a rating on a local plant seller, and enjoyed the free information on the Garden Watchdog for a year or so before I subscribed. I have become another person addicted to Dave's. Dotti

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

notmartha signed up on Sep 6, 2000
happy birthday to me!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Dori, Happy Birthday to you! One of the old-timers!
Some day I am going to travel to your house & then on to Kathleen & Stan's in New York.
Maybe next fall!
Bernie

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Bernie, I see Melody's DH Keith in the middle of the picture. I met them when I attended the roundup in KY 2 years ago as a guest of Justmelisa and her family. Yeah, it's a long ways from Oregon to KY.

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Three years in November.
Thank you, Melody...from my heart!

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Woofie: Loved that 'computer prayer' you posted! Thanks for sharing. =)

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Glad you enjoyed it, petal. The timing was really funny; I had just finished reading the comments here and so many were about the kindness and friendship people had found here on Dave's. Then I checked my email, and there was that poem. How could I resist?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Kathy, Mistymeadows rolls off the tongue a HECK of a lot easier!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

YEs, I agree. Thank Shoe for that. He signed me up, even did my password, ha, ha, and then told me he had done that. I wasn't a paying member until then.

Although Shoe and I first met online, when Alex was 4 years old, on a Poultry Connection website.

But he was the one I contacted when the twins were born and we lost Cameron. I was so impressed by the love sent to me by so many people I didn't know, friends of Shoe's, here at DG.

I was hooked.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I might have voted wrong--it says I signed up in 2004!!! I haven't been vocal all that time though; only for some months before spring 2006 cuz that was my first Swap I went to. Used to keep track by my kids being born, now its 'who held the Swap that spring' LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Way too funny Carrie about 'the cult'. My DH is very relieved that I joined DG. He thought I was the only one singing and gardening in their pjs.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Singing and gardening in pj's, now that would be a kodak moment.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I dance too ^_^

Crestline, CA(Zone 8b)

Petalpants- thanks for the welcome! :) I'm actually really getting into this place, and I've actually sent off my first plant trade to a fine lady who has a treasure trove of cool in her haves list. Egad, the stuff she has. All I have are a few Haworthias, some Aloes and lots of random kalanchoes. :P

I don't mind the pricklies, except for the fuzz you get from Bunny Ears. That stuff gets into everything! And Eve's Needles, those suckers are an EVIL two inches long! O___O I'm fermenting a Cactus Pear right now to see if I can get some of the seeds to sprout. :) Yay for edible cacti!

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm so sorry I missed this one. Though I'm late getting here I've really enjoyed reading everyone's posts.
It'll be 9 years for me in November. And I spend every morning and every evening here too.

Joy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.