How long have you been a member at Dave's Garden?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)
There are a total of 480 votes:

Less than a year.
(83 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Between one and two years.
(77 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Between two and four years.
(141 votes, 29%)
Red dot

Between four and six years.
(121 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Between six and eight years.
(31 votes, 6%)
Red dot

More than eight years!
(27 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Word of mouth...or 'net'

'Hey, there's a new gardening site. Go over and check it out!'

Crossville, TN

Ginger_H and I signed on the same day....Sept. 12th, 2001. It was the day after the Twin Towers shocker and I was just "surfing"....Best "surfing" I ever did!!

Saturday will be my 75th Birthday...and my daughters are giving me a big BASH....I wish all of you could come!! I have made SOOO many friends here that I feel so lucky. Jo

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Jo, if we weren't in the middle of installing a massive irrigation system, I'd be tempted to come!
Jianhua, I was thinking of you the other day and wondered if you were still here at DG. I think you were my first foreign trade.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

what got me signed up? PlantFiles, chocolate asparagus, WNGD...so a mix of great information and entertaining 'conversation'!

(Zone 7a)

2 years, 2 months. And never looked back!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I originally 'signed up' shortly after Dave's Gardens' inception, then had gone back to the 'other site' (GW).
Came back here in 2004, I think, and have been a paid member ever since!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday, Nan!

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Why, Jon. Made me blush. I'm kind of a nut. If I can make someone smile, it makes my day. It still amazes me how we can sit here and converse with someone in Japan and it's like he's right next door.

And Nan (Happy Birthday, by the way), I still hang out on the "other" site (GW) but this is usually my final stop and I stay here longer. I am a newbie gardener, as well as a DG newbie and have learned more lurking here in the past two months than I have reading garden magazines for the past 10 years. I joined when the annoying drop-down ad was running. Had just about made up my mind to join but then encountered that monstrosity and had to inquire of the administration whether that was typical. I was told it was not and that we could even control the ads with a paid membership. That got me and here I am.

The other thing that got me (and this may matter to Dave) was the ease of adding photos. On the "other" site, many forums require html format, which means you have to have another website from which to export your photos. Here, we can use just plain old jpegs. Download them from your digital camera to your computer, upload to Dave's and there you are. Simple even for non-computer-savvy people (like me).

I do have a Facebook page with several albums, one of them my "garden," such as it is, that will successfully upload to the "other" site. But this is soooo much easier.

I am so glad to be here and I look forward to one day being able to say I've been on DG for 10 years (or more).

Judy

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

2 years&3 months:) Very happy!!

Crestline, CA(Zone 8b)

I'm a new critter to the Garden (about a month). You can find me hiding in the cacti with the lizards. :) If you're patient, you can spot a freckled back, wide rump, short dark-brown and purple mane and twinkly eyes poking about the thorny bits in my container-garden.

I love anything that flowers, produces fruit, or has unusual foliage. I know very little about most of my acquisitions, but Plant-Files really helps this newbie figure out just what she's gotten herself into!

I've managed to rescue part of the Hoya I nearly killed (YAY!), learned about some of the cacti I got from the Mother-In-Law's yard, and I can finally put names to a few plants I've had for years but didn't know the names of because the folks who'd given them to me didn't know either (Haworthias are COOL)...

I haven't bought a subscription yet, but I likely will!

This message was edited Sep 2, 2009 10:58 AM

This message was edited Sep 2, 2009 10:59 AM

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Roadrunner: Happy, Happy 75th Birthday! I hope you have a one-of-a-kind Birthday Party!! =)

Welcome, Draco! Glad you came out from hiding for awhile; watch out for pricklies, since you tend to hang-out around the cactus! =)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

5 years, 6 months...where has the time flown?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Whatever partying she,(roadrunner), doesn't get done Saturday, we can continue at KY.
I'll toast you Sat. with something chocolate!
Bernie

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks Pirl! I had no idea. Of course I'm always in a hurry....

South Hamilton, MA

It will be 2 yrs in Oct. Joined because of the iris forum, expanded to NE, Equine. Great fun as I am new to computers, just passed the 2nd yr on those, however I am typewriter literate. Love everyone's bird pictures on that forum.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

6 yrs, 4 mos.

Pretoria, South Africa

2 years, 7 months. I can't imagine my gardening world without DG. I have learnt so muchthe past almost three years...

Elsa

Crossville, TN

Calalily...you still owe me a visit...but I'll be gone most of September...going to Crossville, TN....so come on out this fall! Jo

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

9 years in Oct ^_^

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

7 yrs 1 month

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is a great poll Dave and Admin. Thanks. Nice to see so many long time members voting.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

I clicked 6-8 years but really 5.5 as a *participating* member, because I joined to do some searches, then didn't come back for a year, when I learned about the forums & chat and subscribed for 1 month and way before that month was up I upped it to a year, and shortly thereafter gifted my mom (BloomsWithaView) with her first year's sub. Because of that month, her membership rolls around to renew earlier than mine, so it acts as a reminder for me!

I mostly hang out in Plant Identification because I just love the brain stimulus of figuring out puzzles. I especially "dig" (ha ha, gardener's humor) communicating with people all over the world, and the crazy live chat we sometimes have, when I remember in time that it is Tuesday. Also the really LIVE times when local DGer's get together for RUs and Garden Parties. Also the new newsletter, also this also that. Yup it is too hard to pick a favorite!

~'spin!~

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

It will be 5 years in January. I joined because I had been consulting Garden Watchdog so frequently that I began to feel guilty using it without paying the fee.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I found Dave's and signed up in 2006 became a member in 2007 when the forums I visited the most were no longer free. I could not afford the membership that first year so it was paid for by Dave's Gardens Angels. I had not heard of them before and was shocked & surprised, AND VERY HAPPY!!! LOL

I can't imagine a day without Dave's now.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

6 years, 3 mths

Biggest family I've ever seen ;)

This message was edited Sep 4, 2009 10:47 PM

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

9 years in November for me. Loving it!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Will be a year in November.

I quote from CapeCodGardener:
"Best $$ I ever spent on anything related to gardening!"

And from Woofie:
"DG is the greatest thing since seeds!"

And GardenSox:
"I was lurking around the free parts of the site for a couple years before I actually signed up."

And SoCal, who is herself a nice garden person:
"I have met some of the nicest and friendliest garden people around the whole world"

I quote a lot. But at least I give credit!

Garden on.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Oh, and I got here because most of the time I googled a plant I was interested in along with the word "zone", I found a Plantfiles entry. Then I wanted to go deeper so I joined.

SO glad I did!

Phoenix, AZ

3 years, 9 months and lovin' it. Thanks, Dave and crew!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Yes I was a lurker for some time before I signed up, just wish I had done it sooner!
So come on you lurkers, you don't know what your missing! The best gardening site on the web, that's all.

Edited for typo ^_^

This message was edited Sep 5, 2009 10:27 PM

Glenview, IL

It's so nice to see such a variety of starting dates.

Found DG purely by accident, searching for info on My Rose, browsed around...Lurked for months,
Then Discovered the variety of threads and I was hooked.

I joined 4 years 4 months and 1 week today!

Best thing I did for myself...

I have also met some of the greatest people, via RU, phone, and visits and gatherings!

Thanks Dave and DG Crew, You Rock!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Dave does rock and DG is not just a site to me but an important part of my life. I have very strong feelings when I read of people who either say they can't afford it or the worst, "I don't see why I should have to pay when other sites are free". Nonsense! At six cents a day I just have trouble with that reasoning. One cup of coffee purchased at a deli or one unnecessary car trip to town or any impulse purchase all adds up and it could easily pay for a subscription.

For those who truly cannot pay there is Dave's Angel Fund.

As far as the notion about not having to pay...if being part of DG saves you from one bad purchase, or keeps you from making a big error with buying the wrong shrub, or saves you from disaster with anything to do with gardening then it is worth so much more than the price.

None of the above reasons even include the numerous forums with interests other than gardening. From home repair to remodeling, to sewing, cooking, fossils and birds (and bees) there is a whole world here of such helpful people.

My life would not be as wonderful without the friends I've made at DG and I am so grateful for them. How could anyone put a price tag on friendships?

Bet you can't tell I love DG!

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Pirl, you forgot to mention that Dave's is also cheaper and more useful than any gardening book! :-)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

True! It's real life experience with plants and that's hard to beat.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Started 2009 off right with a subscription to DG in January.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My family thought I had gotten involved with a cult.

Carrie, that is hilarious! Did they really think that, or are you just teasing?! My teenagers told me the other day I was addicted to "that garden site"...I thought, well, there's worse things than that, I could be addicted to! Let's see: drinking, smoking...know what I mean?! =)

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

carrielamont, that's so funny. I find myself saying "found it on Dave's Garden" to family and friends often. Enough that they may be thinking the same thing. Thanks for the grin :)

~Sharon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.