August in the garden

london England, United Kingdom

I'll try that idea, Thanks Steven!

Christchurch, New Zealand

first of many I hope

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dalfrye, that is lovely, keep them coming!

Terri, you can hang the amaranthus upsidedown to dry it! It will pook a lot of seeds! Do you dry your lavender? You can hang it upsidedown too. It makes great tied bunches for a country kitchen hanging on a peg hanger! I wish I could dry it and use it in sachets for putting in sweater drawers! Lovely aroma that herb!

Cleomes have a terrible smell. I dont think you would want them in a vase! EEEE-yuk! pe-U!! But they sure are lovely in the garden! Lovely to look at!

For a buck more, SW, I got a noid calla with a name and a bunch of bloomers!! Never tried them cut.LOL! Whats a noid??? LOL!

This is Dominic. Sorry about the blurr... its a pic of last yearas pic since I missed the bloomers this time around.. oops!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Thanks for welcoming me to this forum. It seems funny, after all the years I've been on DG, I don't think anyone ever did that for me before. Of course it took me a few years to venture out of the Canadian Gardening forum.

I pick a vase full of flowers about every week to take to my mother, and sometimes if I get around to it, for myself too. I am outside for so much of the time, I don't see much of the inside. I will try to remember to take a photo next time. I start most of my annuals from seed, and a lot of my perennials too. There is always something to cut in my beds and I keep some sort of cutting garden too.

Thanks for the response on the Echinaceas. I will just put a few extras in the vase and what stays wilted can be removed.

I held my breath for almost 30 minutes the other day when a hail storm passed through. Some Hostas don't look good, but still lots out there that seems none the worse.

Thumbnail by echoes
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh man, that is a lovely balloon flower! So sorry about your hail. We are finally getting rain here. Most of my hostas are done blooming although I do have a late bloomer jsut sending up staulks now.. Will have to shoot it for you!

This is Frans Hall. I love this daylily! It crosses well on many of the other ones I have and produces some neato bicolors!

Do show us more of your blooms echo! Keep them coming!

Hey terri..... Looks like the Canadians are out numbering the Londoners 2 to one!! LOL!

Do also visit our other furums here. Things can get a tad silly now and again, but just join in the cyber fun and well, think of it as whose line is it anyways.. you get more kicks of laughter that way too!

Well, I am off to the cafe de desperados.. I need to prepare terri a dish of peppers. See you there if you dare!! All are welcome to join us in a rousing round of conversation, acting and fun! And share a cuppa! (_)?

You can share your table arrangements or tidbits of culinary or whatever there or elsewhere on this forum.

After I hit the cafe, I will be back on my knees weeding!

Hi dalfyre, lovely to see your daffs! I don't have any but don't tell Daff nee!! lol.

I have been drying stuff upside down Blossom ... it may come in handy one day!!
I'll give the Cleomes a miss then, Thanks! I can admire yours from here without the pong..lol!
Pretty Frans Hall, very exotic.

Hi echoes, you came back Yay!! Lovely balloon flower, such a striking colour, Thanks for sharing! Thats another flower I don't have. Looking forward to seeing more of your garden and arrangements too!! sounds like we hit the jackpot with you, Thanks for finding us here! Hope your weather improves and you can enjoy the rest of the summer.

Steven, Here's my effort with the Amaranthus, palm leaf and my exotics are Hollyhocks and crocosmia.. lol!

Thumbnail by terriculture

Closer look... the hollyhocks are inside ginger stems that I'm drying!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

NICE terri!!!!

Oh, forgot my manners... Pardon Me... Echoes (and all..)here is link to cafe!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1005432/

And here is of course a daylily called Pardon Me! (Im cheating.. it bloomed in July, but I did not get to post the pic in that thread I got too busy!, so pleeez Pardon Me!...especially if I do more Julys here?!) Most of them also bloom in August too!)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

WOW terri, on closer inspection of that beautiful arrangement, how did you do the wicker container? Was that premade? Knowing you you probably crafted it too! Just stunning!

This daylily is called Addie Branch Smith

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hey good to see you here echos. That blue in that bellflower is stunning - can't wait to see your arrangements. What is your favorite flower for arranging, if you have one.
Terri that is absolutely fab, how do you do it? I really need to start twirling more!
I musta lost my scent BB cause I had a cleome in an arrangement the other day, even took it in the cafe and nobody noticed a stink? The bloom lasted about a week. I don't cut them much for arrangements because they are not often notices as the blooms are so few and far between and I always harvest the seed and don't think the seedpods mature when picked unless they are really close to being dry and by then the flower is finished.

(Zone 6a)

Hi Echos! Nice to see you back :) Thats a nice balloon flower you have there, I used to have some of the dwarf ones. What are your favorite blooms to use for cut flowers?

Terri, I like your amaranthus! It has a similar effect to the one in my book but much less expensive as the other one has heliconias and.........I forget! hahahahaha. Please drop it off in the Cafe before you go on your holiday. And maybe while you're away you could find a new hostess as Candee gave me the go-ahead to fire Madame today. Her attitude was out of control.

Dalfrye, Your Daff looks really nice with the mist on it. My Daffs over here won't be back for a while :(

Blossom, I'm just on my way over to your Cafe. I guess it's time the Flowerpot had some competition. You can ever hire on Madame W as I just gave her the sack. Noid is just a short form for a plant with no name. It means 'no identification'. How long do you hang your blooms to dry? I'm thinking about drying some of my celosias.....this one is almost half the size of my hand!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

blooms to dry... blooms to dry... ummmm.. depends on thebloom! Just hang them to when they are dry!

theres a link on Botanicals cut and dry here.. will bring it up for you ....

I am waiting for pics of my hostas, I hollered nicely at the phone company and they are working on my issues... seems to be a low antenna and high crops....the corn is taller than the antenna blocking the signal....and here I thought all along it was aliens!!! The signal bounces of each ear before it reaches my cumputer!! OY! Talk about a noid!!!! LOL!

ok.. link... Botanicals Cut and Dry.. here ya go!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/922950/

Your sniffer is daff? OMG, those cleomes smell awwwfull!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/922950/

Thank you all! See you in a couple of weeks..

Wonder how big this lot will be when I get back.?.. lol

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Echos, here are some of my hosta...earlier this spring we had lots of rain.. then the grass took my beds and now the heat...what a mess my beds are!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey terri, hope it gets watered and that your not suffern dryness like us.. They are gorgeous now!!

Look at this poor varigated hosta that the heat is taking!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My tall garden phlox is ready for dead heading

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, they are not bloomining anymore, but I th ought this was pretty cool! The rye heads. Kinda would make a neat pattern for a wall paper!! LOL!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Rose of sharon - lilac

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Too bad terris on vacation.. I have a lil snowball for her!

SMAAAACK

Who'd I get!?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That would really make a nice border wallpaper BB, I could use some of that, I know just the spot in the cafe in the powder room. Do you know where I mean?
I ducked and am not sure who was behind me and took the hit, after I ducked I just headed home for a bit as it was getting too late for me to play.

(Zone 6a)

Hi all!..............uhh.....excuse me while I pick the snow out of my eye ;)

Lovely photos Blossom! I guess I'll share some of my pics :) Today was really good for taking pictures because 95% of them turned out A+!!!

(Zone 6a)

First is the veiw from the back door as we go out for a stroll around the garden. You can see Miss Bruggle on the left.......I put her by the back door so I can constantly admire her :)

This message was edited Aug 22, 2009 3:34 PM

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

On our right is some lovely Celosias called 'Pampas Plume'. I didn't know they were going to get so big!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

And on our left behind Miss Bruggie is a Fuchisa which I think is called 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt'

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Now again on our left is 'Zulu Warrior' showing his true colours!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

If we keep going and make a right we can admire some plants in the garden and its containers. Here's some black-eyed-susan.

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

A strawflower that the vole hasn't destroyed.

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

A Zinnia

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

One of the Bishops many children.

edit for spelling

This message was edited Aug 22, 2009 3:39 PM

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Here's my first ever beautiful Calla bloom :D

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

And lastly a view of most of the yard. This pic was taken form behind the veggie planters that you can see in the first pic in behind the pink Petunias.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2009 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Christchurch, New Zealand

and I have more daffodils :)

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Marv-o-lus SW simply marv-o-lus!. I am waning on "beautiful" pics as most of my stuff is going to seed. So Im kind of in the frame of photos of after the bloom!

So sorry about the "snow" its a thing we got growing around here and every time it blooms someone gets smaaacked!

My Endless Summer has faded. I was only lucky to get one bloom on that hydrangea, but I got even luckier getting a new bush started so I am pretty excited on that. I struck some more cuttings and am hoping to have about 4 or 5 new additional starts too.

Dalffyre, I am in awwww! I love daffs and have bunches as you may know too! Its the one thing that gets me through the winter just thinking about those bloomers for sure!

SW, do you have any daffs?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi, everyone! I've been a bit busy and away from home some also. I have a few pics for ya!

Mexican petunia

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Zinnias

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Torenia

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Zinnias...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)