Late June Flowers-June is so florific!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's a really pretty daylily and the bloom on the hosta is so nice, Claypa. Are you talking about Carroll Gardens in Maryland? I read over on gardenweb they're going out of business.

I haven't gotten many seeds from that butterfly weed. I should probably just buy some more seeds and plant them. As I recall, they need darkness so that could be why they're not self sowing too.

Sally, I had a big bed of daylilies up near the chicken house. I'm gradually moving all of them to the slope next to the driveway. A lot of them I got cheap at an end of year clearance at Eflowergarden, but I've added usually at least one or two each year. That's why I haven't offered any at any of the swaps - I have a lot of territory to cover on that slope.

Wisdom, I got House or Orange from a terrific seller on Ebay - Whitetop Daylilies. He sends the biggest, healthiest plants of anyone I've ever dealt with. Really good prices too.

That light purple monarda looks like just plain wild beebalm. I don't know what the other one is - it's a little too dark to be Marshall's Delight, which is a dark fuschia.

LOL on Rhett and Scarlett.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My Colrain Red monarda is that color

Shenandoah Valley, VA

More pictures from this morning. This is rose Veterans Honor. I got this in memory of my dad, who was a WWII and Korean War Navy vet. It's looking a little beat up, it think from the rain the other day.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

I love this daylily - love all eyed daylilies. It's one of the Siloams but I'll have to look up which one.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

BIG disappointment in this one, Edith Sliger. Maybe the later blooms will be prettier. What I didn't want was yet another murky peachy daylily. I was hoping for something with more of a real pink. The ruffly edges aren't even very nice.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Another mystery one. Larlienda gave me a bunch of daylilies she'd gotten from one of the daylily societies. I thought I had planted Joan Senior here but this is obviously not white.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Pretty color on this one.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

I think this one, it's one of the purples I posted yesterday, must be Russian Rhapsody.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This is the bloom on the little Mezoo variegated ice plant. It's very tiny - maybe half to 3/4 of an inch.

Thumbnail by hart
Mechanicsville, MD

Hart I think the pink with chartruese center is chorus line. I always get a great abundance of blooms on mine and it holds it's color nice throughout the day.

Flowerjen how tall is your monarda? ...this one is at least three foot tall.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks, wisdom. I think you're right. I planted that at the same time as one of the siloam ones. It's a beautiful daylily.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'd say the monarda is about 3' tall. I transplanted it so looks a little shorter than it did last year.

Mechanicsville, MD

Claypa little wine cup is a beautiful color.

Mechanicsville, MD

War march daylily. Was a free gift with purchase from Oakes daylilies. I wasn't happy with the color the first year but what a difference a year can make.

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

kwanso daylily was growing in the woods when we moved here. I took a fan out of the woods to see what it was and here it is... Year three in the garden

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's good to know, Wisdom. Maybe there's hope for my Edith Sliger. That's a pretty red.

Do you have your daylilies all in one bed or scattered around? I'd love to see a photo of the garden(s) where they're planted.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

another noid asiatic

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Other side of wildflower garden, lots of black eyed susans popping open daily.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Mechanicsville, MD

Hart, they are all over in all my beds. Even around the vegetable beds. I call the vegetable area my holding area until I figure out which bed to put one in or make a new bed for a color combo I come up with. I like having them around the veggie garden too brings butterflies and bees to the garden.

My chicago jewel daylily was the same way. It took three years for it to finally look the way it was supposed to and have the saturated color. I actually thought I received the wrong plant at first. Here is a daylily I think you will like.
High bud count, tall scapes dainty at about 2.5 to 3 inches.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009 12:22 PM

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

flowerjen, gets prettier everyday. What other plants are you adding to blue and yellow garden?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

This is Edith Sliger's second year but she wasn't a vigorous plant, in fact neither of the plants I got in the coop/sale where I got her were. She only had a couple of blooms last year and they were even uglier. I'm just so disappointed in the color, which was supposed to be a dark pink with yellow edges. As you can see, the bloom above looks nothing like this.
http://daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?cultivarseover20&1246328828#IMAGE

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The blue and yellow garden(some whites) has and will have
daylily(a few varieties)
siberian iris
calendula
centaurea montana gold bullion
catananche caerulea major-love plant
oenothera tetragona summer solstice
Ox eye daisy
Annual forget me not
white stokesia

Bulbs on order to plant this fall...

crocus romance
dwarf iris, harmony and aktherine hodgkins
muscari, armeniacum
allium caeruleum
Narcissus odorus flore pleno

My wants....
dianthus itsaul white
delphinium blue butterfly and connecticut yankees
Aster-October skies
yellow button mum

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds nice, Jen

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Forgot I also have a yellow yarrow and aquilegia blue and white winky in there.

Here's the yarrow, I had moved it from another bed since it was supposed to be red.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Mechanicsville, MD

Flowerjen, Definitely take some more pictures. It sounds beautiful. If I had any of your wants I would certainly give them to you.

Hart I completely understand your disappointment. Wow that is quite a difference. I haven't found too many of my pink daylilies to be very reliable in color. They seem to look really nice in the catalog or at the farm but when they come to my yard they usually appear alot lighter or not as intense as they should be. Third year was a charm for chicago jewel. Hopefully Edith will come to life next year too.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Jen, Walmart here had HUGE blooming delphinium plants the other day. Not sure if they're the blues you're looking for but the ones I saw were all blue and were pretty cheap for the size. You might want to look for them.

Pinks and purples have been disappointing too, so many have that muddy, mauvy not quite purple color. I have noticed Olive Bailey Langdon, which I've had for years and was one of the first daylilies I planted, is a much prettier color since I moved it. I'm going to do the same with Edith and see if she won't pretty up a bit.

Mechanicsville, MD

I would move Edith to an area where she could an abudance of sun. I find my red, orange and yellow daylilies tend (for the most part) to be reliable in color and saturation anywhere I put them. The pinks and purples always vary for awhile unless they are in a really sunny location.

I believe this one is Orange Vols daylily first bloom this year

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's beautiful, Wisdom. I love those dark oranges and reds.

Mechanicsville, MD

Honor born daylily

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

Hart I will get some pictures of the beds for you. I can send a couple now. By my mailbox.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009 1:06 PM

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

My version of an English garden. Daylilies are mixed throughout. When they are all blooming it looks really pretty walking up the steps. The walls I built with my own two hands. Hardest job I have ever done.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009 1:14 PM

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009 1:15 PM

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Shenandoah Valley, VA

So pretty! And those two daylilies above sure do look good together. Honor born looks like it glows.

I have a bunch of new photos. I hope you all aren't tired of Hart's darned mess of photos.

You have to be sure to click on these next ones to see them full size. This is a weed that grows out here. It has big seed heads like an allium, maybe 6 inches across. I've never seen any in my yard but I see them by the road every year. They're so pretty, especially close up. This one has lost some of its seeds so it's not round any more but isn't it gorgeous? I'm going to snag those seeds and plant it on purpose.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Another angle

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Jen, was it you fussing about your achillea being white instead of red? I have this Paprika. It's not real big but I'm sure I could get you a start of it if we ever have a swap where we both attend. I can't get the color right. It's more of a browny, orangy red, not this bright red.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

It fades pretty quickly to this peachy color though, again not as pinky or as bright as it looks here.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Some daylilies. Don't know the name of this one. It was one of the first ones I bought and the label is long gone.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Or this one.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This red one came without a label. Webers has them growing at their farm. It's a great daylily, whatever it is. Makes a huge plant with big flowers and it blooms like crazy. It's darker than it looks here.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This double is one of the ones I got at eflowergarden to start the bed.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This is another one from eflowergarden

Thumbnail by hart

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.