Late June Flowers-June is so florific!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Jacob Cline monarda just starting to bloom today.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This old rose was planted here who knows when. It's growing in the woods next to my swamp. It climbs about 25 feet or more into the trees there.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This is about 20 feet up into a sassafras

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

It's also growing all along the slope right in front of the house. Excuse the weeds. Once this finishes blooming, I'll whack it all down but I leave it until these roses finish blooming.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Big lotus leaves in the upper pond.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This one is about a foot and a half across.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sally! Some of the tiger lilies did survive! I thought they were pinks but they're orange. Just starting to bloom today. Blooms are small because I think it is too dry for them there. I need to move them.

Thumbnail by hart
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes(kinda), my yarrow came up yellow instead of red.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

wisdomskr- big job and great addition. I envy you having some kind of slope, its totally flat here and boring.
~
hart- your 'giant dandelion' is one of these I think
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Asteraceae/Tragopogon/none/cultivar/0/
Tragopogon/ wild salsify
I asked Dad today to save any extra TL he 'comes across'. Mine is in bud tho small.
~
I have never made my Yarrow Paprika very happy anywhere here. White Yarrow from last years swap is very happy So there, you Paprika! pffft

Shenandoah Valley, VA

The best yarrow is Coronation Gold, I think. I don't have it any more, dumb me, but it never flopped, made a nice clump and bloomed beautifully.

Paprika flops like crazy especially if it gets too much water but I do like the color, at least when it first blooms.

Gosh, if anyone wants white, it grows as a weed all over the place here.

Thank you, Sally! You are the whiz! I never had any idea what this was. I never noticed any blooms but I'm guessing it's probably yellow because those blooms look a lot like another weed that blooms yellow here. I probably saw them and thought it was that one.

I didn't know there was such a thing as wild salsify.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

coleus, I rooted overwinter for the first time...lesson learned- I need to pinch them back all the time.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

catananche caerulea major-love plant

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Common milkweed, smells amazing

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looking over my fence.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Next to garage

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Those orange lilies are stunning, Jen.

How tall do asiatics get? I thought they only got a couple of feet tall.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

ranges from 24"- 4'

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I took this as it was getting dark so it looks kind of weird, but here's a bunch of lilies. 'Royal Sunset' in back, 'Dolly Madison' on the left, and no ID border lilies

Thumbnail by claypa
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice! I love the coloring on the one in the back.

They are nice, there are better pics in plant files. I figured there'd be more takers for them at the swap. NisiNJ got some.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/865187/#post_5140704

'Blackberry Candy' 'Strawberry Candy' 'Always Afternoon' this morning:

This message was edited Jun 26, 2009 12:40 PM

Thumbnail by claypa

Siloam Double Classic, a little chewed up but still nice

Thumbnail by claypa
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My salsify story~
(B the way, that would have been a cute user name for me, salsify)
Long ago but not far away, I saw a few of those giant dandelion like heads, from overgrown landscaping at an old Sizzler. (How long will my brain be plagued by names of defunct businesses?). I collected seeds but never ID them or planted them. Then not too long ago, but far away, I saw them again- in Quebec. I dawdled behind the group to collect seeds, brought them home and planted them. I got a big clump of these two years ago and went to ID forum. I have sp. pratensis- the green things behind the petals are as long or longer than the petals. I believe they are only open for a part of the day and when closed you'd hardly notice them, so they're easy to miss. But I had fun examining them and trying some artful photographs. I read complaints about self sowing so I gathered most of the seed and forget what I did with it. This year I have just a couple.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally, what a pretty flower!

Clay, sorry I missed your lilies, I think I missed a lot of things at the swap, was so busy making sure everyone got what I promised them. But then again the car was so loaded up, that a few more plants and the golf clubs would have to be left behind. LOL

NOID lily, picture taken at night.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Mechanicsville, MD

Flowerjen, LOVE the catanache. Your lilies look beautiful also.

Claypa the blackberry candy lily is beautiful. Out of your asiatics I would say Dolly Madison is my favorite.

Sallyg I guess if you had to have a dandelion growing in yard, it should be a pretty one. The hardest thing about building the wall on the slope was getting the base bricks level. I can't tell you how many times I fell back into the dirt surrounding me ready to give up. Certainly glad I didn't!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Gorgeous lilies, Claypa. Sally, I'm glad I'm not the only one who plants weeds. LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wisdomskr, You have such beautiful DLs. Love that Femme de Jolie and Indian Giver. August Moon is one of my favorite Hosta with it's tall fragrant blooms.

Jen, That Calendula is gorgeous.

Hart, That Moana Twirler is really neat and I love the Burgundy, Orange and Hunter's torch. That Olive Bailey Langdon really got around. I've seen Hosta and Iris named after her. Wow, that Goldstrum bloom is awesome. I've grown a lot of butterfly weed from seed and never gave it any darkness. I've sown it outside in the spring on top of the soil and it's grown gangbusters.

Claypa, that's a beautiful combo with the Fleabane, Lilies and the blue flowers. Hmmph! Magic Dust and artistic abilities!!! Love that Wine cup. I got some of those neat pendulous Astilbe this year too, but mine have not bloomed yet.

You all have so many beautiful Daylilies, each one prettier than the next.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart: Your red daylily with the yellow throat might be Red Volunteer -- http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/8321/. It is a wonderful daylily.

Thanks Mary. I planted one of those oyster plants / salsify before I knew better, luckily I never saw it again after I pulled it. You'd almost have to stand next to it and wait to see the flower before it goes to seed, like those flower-of-an-hour mallows.
This is 'Web of Intrigue'. I should plant it next 'Daring Deception', and they could have their own little cold war, à la Spy vs. Spy.

Thumbnail by claypa
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks, Happy. I thought when I first got it that it might be Red Volunteer, but if you look closely, mine has a thin yellow line around the edge. It seems to have Red. Vol. vigor so maybe it's something they crossed. I have a hunch they've been growing them at the farm for so long no one knows what they are.

I could very well be wrong about the butterfly weed, Stormy. It's been years since I planted it. I remember it did need darkness or light, sounds like light.

Claypa, that Web of Intrigue is beautiful. LOL on the spy vs spy. First we have Gone with the Wind, now John LeCarre or Ian Fleming.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

"spy vs spy'.....lol

I would have taken some if I currently had a spot of more lilies.
I try to concentrate on one project at a time but of course now I'm working on 2( my shade garden and my blue/yellow/white).

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a beautiful Delphinium that I recently bought. It's called Aurora Purple. Don't remember where I got it, but it was about $6.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't remember the name of this LaceCap Hydrangea.I've really begun to develope an affinity for lacecaps. They never flop or look stressed.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Jacob Kline Monarda

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lo and Behold, a Galliardia Fanfare that I thought was lost last summer imitating Lazarus.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Heuch Beaujolais. Those are Euphorbia Tazmanian Tiger on either side, replacements for ones that I planted late last fall that did not make it.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sunset, Sundown, Tiki Torch? Have no clue.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Dragonhead.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This is the first blue Phlox I've ever grown and also the only one to mildew. Will it spread to the others? Should I treat it with something?

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This DL is "Red Magic" and that little one lurking down in the left corner is "Siloam June"

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This DL is "Double Trouble"

Thumbnail by stormyla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.