Late June Flowers-June is so florific!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hosta "Burchwood Parky's Gold". Look at all of those little holes. All of my Hostas have them. I've been too busy to treat them.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's a beautiful clump of monarda, Stormy. And the Fanfare. So pretty. I wish mine had lived.

Spray your phlox with baking soda water. Spray the others too if you're afraid it will spread.

LOVE that Red Magic. Is it as big as it looks?

Oh, and I think that must be Tiki Torch. Sundown and Sunset are less orange. I'm in serious plant lust for TT but I'm not going to buy it until it's cheaper.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2009 3:15 PM

Mechanicsville, MD

Stormy you certainly have a gift with the garden objects. The blue phlox is nice but what is growing out of the planter? I love the color and the way it falls out of the pot. If there is a daylily you are interested in I could probably give you a couple of fans. Let me know.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Hart, I grew that Monarda frm seed last year. I have it planted every where. My older ones were starting to die off as I had not split them. It's wierd, the lavender ones in the back just get fuller ad fuller and thrive in total shade.

I will try the Soda bath. I could spend all day every day just doing maintenance chores and never get around to planting anything.

Yes, Red Magic is very tall and the bloom is very large.

Probably is Tiki Torch. I got a great buy on 6 plugs last year on Ebay. They cost $24 total.. Nursed them all summer and planted them in the fall.They are all over 3' tall now and vigorus.

I don't think I'm going to buy new intros on the co-ops anymore. Echie Mac & Cheese has been so pitiful for everyone and I think only 1 of 3 is still alive. Tomatoe soup is 2 of 3. Even the Heuchs have trouble. One problem is that they always arrive in the spring when we have so much rain and they drown. Bigger plants can withstand it better. I'd rather let the cultivar show it's stuff on someone else's dime & effort. I do have some coming from Starlight, but those may be my last.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you, Wisdomskr. That's the Begonia Bonfire breaking up this sea of green.. You are so kind. This year I will be trying to add purple daylilies. Check out my zip code reports and see if there is anything that you want & I'll see if there is enough to split. I meant to tell you how nice it is that you've gotten your children interested in gardening. I tried it with my nieces, but unfortunately, it had the opposite effect. They hate bugs and getting dirty.

My sister's kids won't eat anything that's been "on the ground". They look at me stupified when I ask them where do they think the supermarket gets it from. You'd never know that my father's people are all still professional farmers!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, I have gotten so far behind here I can't possibly comment on all the beautiful flowers I have seen. So I will try to hit a few.
First I love all the lilies, day or otherwise and I will post pics of mine when I can.
Sally Re: Betty Corning. I could never understand why the Clematis Forum people seemed to like these bell shaped Clems. Then on a garden tour a couple of weeks ago I saw my first Betty Corning. Now I understand, they are a beautiful flower.
Jen, Love the wildflower garden and your bird bath sure looks familiar what a great spot for it. Your gardens are really beautiful
Hart, never too many plant pics. I have an achillea I think it's Paprika. Starts out red w/ yellow center and then fades a bit. Wonder if that came from your swap a couple of years ago.
Ladyg, Yep I missed alot, too. I got all my swaps and a few extra plants. Actually I got a lot of plants. But then I see some pretty and think WOW that was at the swap and I missed it. LOL
Claypa. I think I have some of your lilies, after seeing those pics I sure hope so, They are beautiful.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, You asked earlier on the thread if all Asiatic lilies stay at 3' and under. The LA Hybrid Asiatics go over 6 feet. My Fangios are very tall and top heavy. But the stems are 2 inches thick.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks, Stormy. I know about the hybrids, trumpets and orientals. I have several of those. I for some reason thought the regular asiatics were real short.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I like that fanfare Stormy.... I tried diluted milk last year on my pumpkins for powdery mildew... it was just ok.. kept having to put it on over and over.. let me know how the soda works

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Baking soda water - not soda. LOL

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh I know... just a lazy typer.... but thank you

:)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm just picturing you out there pouring Coke on your phlox. LOL

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that would be pretty bad I would guess... I don't really like to drink the stuff... never mind the poor plants!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Lookie here at my "Maya" brug putting on the biggest show she has ever done!
This is the one i cut up last year and dragged into the basement.....

You can see how the shades go from yellow (in tight bud) to cream white to peach....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's the whole bush! The fragrance is awesome at night!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

One more shot---so pretty!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly/Ric

here is my neighbor's Hydrangea--the one I gave Ric a star of.
She cuts it back a bit every year and sticks the cuttings in the bed--and they all root.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The blooms look a bit wilted--as no one ever comes around to this side of the house and waters it. I do when i water my beds...SO_ it is not all "perky"....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

A close up--so many shades on the same bush!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

More red Epi blooms! Man--so many this year!
Doc--are you looking????

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Another stem....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And a close-up....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love that brug Gita!... how long did it take from dormant to bloom?... (think I brought mine out too late)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, Thank you for the Hydrangea, it will be a lovely addition to or 'scape. I think I know where it is going, we have a bed that's slightly acidic and should give it good color.
You're "Maya" is so beautiful, I can imagine the scent from here. Your tips on potato salad have gotten me raves, Thank You, I'm going to put some finely diced "Granny Smith" in my red skin, black walnut, and blue cheese PS, and see what the Aunt's think at tomorrows family reunion. Thanks, again! Ric

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey, Ric--The Granny Smith does not have to be all that finely diced!
You want it so that when a person bites on it--they say: "Hey! what was that?"......;o)
Same for the pickles.....

I have my PS last Sunday for an outing by the Gunpowder River with friends--and everyone loved it!
We are going back there for the 4th--and i will be bringing my daughter's Pasta Crab (fake) Salad which is soooo yummmy!
I am also making my pickles.....AND--also--as a desert--those saltine chocolate chip crisps.....Have you ever had them? When done--you break them up like brittle and you will NEVER, EVER guess that the base of these are Saltines! Seems most people remember these from when they were kids.....

Try this--for raves and mouth-drooling appetizers!

CRAB MELTAWAYS—BROILED
(Mari Vlachos—an Estonian lady)

1 pkg. Of 6 English muffins
1-7oz can of crabmeat (or use fresh-picked crab meat--MUCH better!)
1 stick butter
1-6oz-jar Old English sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbs mayonnaise
½ tsp seasoned salt
½ tsp garlic salt

Directions:

Slice each muffin half into quarters and arrange on a cookie sheet.
Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and spread on muffins. (Can FREEZE at this point)
Thaw and broil before serving. Serve immediately while hot!

Or this: Haven't made these in forever--but they are SO good!
OK! I am not going to turn this into a recipe thread...Sorry!

SENATE CHEESE STRAWS—VERY, VERY good!

1 lb. Sharp cheddar cheese—finely grated
1 3/4 cups flour
1tsp salt
¼-1/2tsp Cayenne pepper (more, if you like “hot”)
1/4lb. (one stick) butter at room temperature (I diced it up)

Combine all ingredients. Put in a food processor (or kneed by hand) until creamy and forms a firm dough. May need a few drops of water if it is too dry!

Chill dough in the refrigerator before working it.

--Roll out dough (1/2 at a time) into a rectangle about ¼” thick.
--Cut into strips approx. 6”x3/8”.
--Twist strips—corkscrew fashion.
--Place on ungreased cookie sheets and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes or more so they will hold their shape.

Bake at 350* 10-12 minutes (longer if using more than one pan in the oven at the same time—maybe 15-20 minutes). Cool completely in pans.

Makes 5-6 dozen cheese straws.

Puff Pastry Straws –(anther version)

¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
3Tbs. chopped, fresh Rosemary
2tsp. Chopped fresh Thyme—OR—1tsp dried leaf Thyme, crumbled
1tsp ground black pepper
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of a 171/4 oz package) thawed according to directions.

1. Preheat oven to 400*
2. Combine Parmesan cheese, rosemary, thyme and pepper in a small bowl
3. Unfold puff pastry on lightly floured surface. Sprinkle evenly with cheese-herb
mixture.
4. Roll out with lightly floured rolling pin into 15x10” rectangle. Scrape off, then
press into pastry, any Parmesan cheese-herb mixture sticking to rolling pin.
5. Cut pastry crosswise into ½” wide strips. Twist each strip to form a spiral stick.
Place on ungreased baking sheet.
6. Bake in preheated 400* oven 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer pastry
straws to wire rack to cool. Wrap airtight; store up to 2 weeks in a cool place.

Note: To re-crisp straws, place on baking sheet in 350* oven for 6 minutes.

CHEESE STRAWS -(Makes 60 straws) -a variation.....

1 sheet puff pastry (about 10”x10”), defrosted
¾ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, preferably fresh.
1tsp Paprika

Heat oven to 400*. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

--On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry sheet to a 12” square. Brush off excess flour.
--Mix cheese and paprika; sprinkle evenly over pastry. Roll pastry lightly to press
cheese into the dough.
--fold dough in half. Roll out again to a 12” square.
--cut pastry in half to form 2 rectangles. Slice across width of the rectangles, making ½”
strips. Holding each strip by the ends, twist into corkscrew shapes.
--Lay twisted strips onto lined baking sheet. Press down ebds to secure them.

Bake 15-17 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Cool on racks.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to one week.

(From “PullTab”—TX--DG) Another variation.....

You are searching for a bit of a “holy grail" of a recipe. A good cheese straw is a wonderful thing.
My grandmother taught me the recipe that her grandmother taught her. My grandmother and her mother had a restaurant for years, from the mid '30's to the mid '60's. The first in Florida. The last one was on Rt. 66 between OKC and El Reno, with great lunch traffic until I-40 opened. Anyway, both were from LA-- lower Alabama-- and wonderful southern cooks, grits and greens, fatback and beans. Not a lot of standard measure but here goes.

Use the best cheese you can, very sharp cheddar, a strong smoked Swiss, most any hard cheese with a full flavor and fresh sweet butter. As for the red pepper, use cayenne or-- we grind up red pepper flakes quite fine--but we like the hot, sharp bite with a crunch.

Mammy's Very Good Cheese Straws

1 egg, (or--if you like, just the egg white) cracked into small dish, sprinkle with pinch of salt. Beat with a fork and leave sit while you grate the cheese.

In a large work bowl- chilled if the weather is hot- mix:
1 pound hard cheese, grated
11/2 cups flour, depending on humidity and age of flour, add an extra 1/2 cup if needed.
1/2-teaspoon (plus or minus) fine ground red pepper. Some folks also include 1/2 tsp dry mustard and /or black pepper at this point, some skip this altogether and add 1 tablespoon of Frank's Red Hot to the egg mix.
Mix and toss all together to coat cheese with a fine dusting of flour.

4 oz good butter (about 1 stick) cut in as for pastry and add beaten egg. If more liquid is needed, add a few drops ice water. Should handle this like a piecrust. Roll out into a pair of disks, wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour to 3 days.
Roll discs out thin, cut into strips and lay a twist to it if you like. Sprinkle with paprika or more cayenne- if you like.
Lay out on an ungreased baking sheet and cook in a quick oven, 425 F,. 6-9 min. until light brown. We slide them onto a tea towel to cool a bit then serve in a towel-lined breadbasket.

These bake up quick and are tasty for afternoon tea or an evening card game and drinks.

Cheese Straws (plantlady-TX)
AND--another one---I have all these saved under the name "Cheese Straws"--so they are all coming up here.....

scant 2-1/2 C AP flour
2 C sharp/sharper/sharpest good cheddar cheese, grated OR 1 C good Blue cheese (or to taste) Use more or less as desired but the blue veined cheese should be of excellent quality.
1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks) melted
approx 2 t. salt (or to taste)
sprinkling of good black pepper
1/2 t. red (cayenne) pepper, fresh
4 t. fresh lemon juice

Mix all this together and keep at least at room temp. if using a cookie gun or press. Should be good and cold if slicing - see below.

If extruding from a gun/press the mixture needs to be soft. Make sure that each "straw" is very thin or it will not be crisp.
This mixture can also be cooled in fridge (or even kept in freezer) after you have made long logs about 1-1/2" across and wrapped in wax paper or plastic wrap. Slice thinly - no more than about 1/4" thick. The reason you are keeping these thin is so they are crisp.
Use a big cookie sheet, ungreased, and put straws close together as they are not going to rise or spread. Cook at 400 deg. F. for 10-11 minutes until barely browned. Let them stay on the sheet for a couple of minutes to finish cooking as the butter will make these very hot and as they cool down before removal to a plate, etc. they are less likely to break apart and will be cool enough that you won't burn yourself as you "taste them for quality" as we all do. Still be careful in removing them, as they are delicate.
These are really good at a cocktail party and quite addictive.
Hope you all decide to try some of these and enjoy them.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Gita- the Maya is amazing!
My two are doing well but not budding yet. I've sunk the pots half into the soil but don't think they rooted down yet. They can dry out pretty fast now that the monsoon season seems to be over. My Rose Souv. ARE blooming.
June is SO florific weve gone over 200 posts already just for late June LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well--I have a couple new "florifics" to share. Just took these....Seems my garden has all kinds of things--eash blooming in sequence....Next will be the HUGE KK hibiscus I moved to the front lawn. It has buds!

Here is a Lily that just started up in my YUK bed...Love the mauve color....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Next to these are the red Lilies I rescued from my next-door neighbors house before the "destroyers" moved in. They are just beginning....
I also have a couple of Day Lilies that have yet to bloom. SO spread out in bloom times....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is probably the last cluster of my Red Epi to bloom.
These were the group of 5 buds on the very end of a long frond...

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Someone gave/sent me seeds for these Dwarf Red Coreopsis....I am sorry I don't keep good records...
Well--Dwarf they are not! I planted therm along the front border of the bed--and they are about 18" tall! Airy looking, though--so not too obtrusive.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

See how tall my KK Hibiscus is getting? I think the blooms will open by middle of next week....THEN the gawking from passers-by will start!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Last one--my Wintersweet Bush is getting bigger and bigger this Summer. Will have to prune it again! I have to duck to pass it on my walkway going to the back of the yard....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Gita, I will definitely try those recipes. I make a similar crab meat thing stuffed into baby bella mushrooms.

I was under the impression, somehow, that you had very little gardening space. I am either wrong or you are a wiz at getting all those beauties into a small space. Your plants all look so perfectly healthy and critically cared for. Loved seeing them today.

The over abundance of rain is truly having an adverse on my roses. I'm having a hard time controlling the black spot already and the blossoms get all mushy long before they'r very mature.

This one has more protection from the pounding rain since it's near the house's overhang.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Only 1 new today.
Cosmos in my wildflower garden

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

RRR

I guess i am a whiz at getting all kinds of things in a small space....
My WHOLE property is 65'x100'. A development lot....On it sits my house--my driveway--my large patio--my shed--and numerous beds....
Most of my beds are along the perimeter of the house....Some are free standing--like on my front lawn.
The beds I have in the back yard are VERY full of the roots from my 2 Maple trees. I can hardly dig in there--it takes huge effort to dig up enough of a small area to plant some annuals in. Then--that area fills up with hungry maple tree roots--and it all repeats again next year.
The bed along the West side of my house is fairly free of roots. it is also a Southern exposure. In this bed--i cram all kinds of things....4 Roses, all my Daturas, at least one Brugmansia, endless Daffodils and such--also a lot of smaller bulbs.
The 2 beds to the East are not very big--but they get good AM light until about 3PM.

With a digital camera it is not hard to get an "impressive" picture.....as most of them are close-ups of whatever.....
Also--I do not put up with plants that are not doing well. To me--they are ONLY plants! Replaceable!

Flowerjen--I have a Coreopsis that just started blooming...It is called "Dwarf red" (pictured above) but it looks just like your Coreopsis..... Love the dark red!

Gita

Monrovia, MD

Here's my 'Patio Joe' - a very reliable and agreeable water lily on my deck.

Thumbnail by yvgfjayne
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here are some photos I took today

http://picasaweb.google.com/AllisonNJ71/Flowers62909#

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looking good Allison.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Gita...yes I think it may be that 'dwarf red' coreopsis, not a cosmos.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi Roses R Red=
that's a lovely rose close up. Roses R orange too I see. I have a cream colored one that just made three blooms, kind of beetle-nibbled, or I think its beetle damage.

jayne- are water lilies fragrant? the soft color makes me think so but ...never grown them.

Allison- some really nice coleus and petunas there. Caladium pics remind me--many of my caladiums are blooming! seems odd, I was kind of surprised they even came back much less are happy enough to bloom. I wonder if I fertilized them with a bloom formula by accident.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.