Late June Flowers-June is so florific!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

A kind of lavender one

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Variegated heliopsis Lorraine Sunshine

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This little knifophia is only about a foot tall.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Pink tiger lilies

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Back a bit

Thumbnail by hart
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, Your lilies are lovely, esp. the red!
Chris, You are right that birds may be responsible, wax wings and such love rose hip. FYI , multi flora-rose is listed as a noxious weed in a number of states, and the only thing that will eat it is a goat. One of its early uses was "living fence", it was introduced into hedge rows because cattle would find it impenetrable, but as it spread to pastures people said OMG what have I done. This stuff is so virulent that when introduced into old field succession, it smothers eastern cedars. I believe WVa considers it to be the kudzu of the north. However, they may be lovely and fragrant. Ric

Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's a daylily, not a lily, Holly. The two bottom ones are lilies.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Hart the seeds are from Summer Hill Seeds, they were a gift with my order last spring.

Ric, a lot of "things" find it's way into my yard. Winged, seeded, rooted, now I'll be on the look out for hoofed coming to munch on my rose. LOL

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ooohhh LG I really like that painted tongue

Mechanicsville, MD

Lady G the red painted tongue flower is very unique and beautiful. I think I will be checking out the seed company you listed.
I was a litle concerned about my black and blue salvia in the beginning of the season but it came back strong.

Hart the red daylily looks like it is made of satin, very pretty. I like the tigerlilies too but have never tried to grow any. Are they difficult?

Hollyann I will be dividing the bo peep in the fall or spring. If you would like a couple of fans let me know.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Tiger lilies are doing fine here. I'm not wild about that color, which is more tannish pink than pink, but there are orange, red, white and yellow ones. They do like fairly moist soil, which they don't get much here. I have them growing next to my compost container where it's shady most of the day.

Thanks, Chris. I'll definitely order some. I like the blue ones, Kew Blue, too. They have them at Thompson & Morgan and Select Seeds.

I'll try to figure out which daylily that red one is.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

hart my dad has a ton of orange tiger lilies like I gave you before--don't know if those made it for you. The orange is...un...almost like neon orange, don't know if it's to everyone's liking.

this orange
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/126095/

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sally, those didn't make it. I think I put them in too dry of a spotm although I thought I had watered them enough. But, they apparently scattered those little seedlets because there are babies right next to there and they're doing fine. Gita gave me some babies at the swap last year and those are doing well too. So eventually it looks like I'll get my orange tiger lilies.

There's a house on the road between here and Woodstock that has the most gorgeous red lily. I wonder if it's a red tiger? It's too tall to be an asiatic, looks like it's around 4-5 feet tall. I know there are no orientals or oriental hybrids that are that shade of red - a dark, bright, crimson red. I swear one of these days I'm going to knock on their door and ask what that lily is. I saw it again today and it's just beautiful.

I think Van Engelen catalog had other colors of tiger lilies--I only know what dad has. and that orange! the best I can say about it is at least he can see it LOL (legally blind)

I have one giant Mullein in my garden and just started to bloom. Each flower had one or two of these beetles the other morning.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LadyG, Love, love, love that tongue flower. Is it a annual, from seeds you started this year, what was the name of the seed company?
Wisdomskr, Yes, please I would love a piece of your bo peep, maybe I have something you would like in return.
Sally, I have giant Mullein growing mostly down around the compost area but I really like it. I plan to put some in my sunshine bed when I get it started. Last year I picked up some Verbascum Dark Eyes a smaller variety with a very pretty flower. It doesn't look like it made it over the winter as I haven't seen it yet.
OK guys take a look at this thing. Jack in Pulpit Arisaema Speciosum. To think I almost gave this away. I had ordered from the DG Calla Co-op and not thinking never looked at the hardiness zone. I know the callas aren't hardy but didn't really think that the Jacks wouldn't be hardy. When I got them realized that they wouldn't be hardy I thought maybe someone from zone 7 might come to the swap and want them. I potted them up and then decided that I could keep it for in the GH when that gets done. Boy am I glad I kept it.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

wow that is pretty

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, Those pink Callas are really pretty & your Jack is definitely a keeper and lifter!

Gita, your Brugs are looking very good.

Wisdomskr, Your daylilies are looking great. I've been humming Sgt. Pepper all weekend! I want to add some more purple daylilies this year. Yours are lovely.

Lady, I like that Jethro Tull. I don't have a lot of luck with Coreopsis. They do fine the first year and then often don't come back. That painted tongue is to die for!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, That red Daylily is beautiful and I really like that variegated Heliopsis. I really like the peachy color of that Tiger Lily

Wisdomskr, I also like that Black & Blue Salvia. Great color.

I really like this Rudbeckia. There is only 1 and this is it's first year. The second part of the name faded on the tag. At first I thought it was a coneflower.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a variegated Coreopsis, Tequila Sunrise. Maybe this one will come back. New this year.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Can't find the name of this Lily. It might have been a mix up by the grower.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This is Heuchera Mocha Mint. It's a smaller Heuch and keeps such nice color all year.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This is a very pretty Corydalis called "Purple Leaf"

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This Daylily is "Caravan Red"

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

The back of one of my beds is very dark. I keep trying to plant things to brighten it. This is a variegated Buddleia "Santana". What's with all of the Rock star names? It gets reddish purple blooms.

Sally, I really like those Orange Tiger Lilies.

Thumbnail by stormyla

(swap list for stormyla- orange tiger lilies,...)
My dad has a ton--he'd be pleased to have a "job" to do, get me tiger lilies!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Holly, that Jack in the pulpit is so pretty. I got callas to overwinter here for a couple of years by laying pine branches over them in the fall for mulch in a layer about 6 -8 inches deep. Forgot the pine branches one year and they didn't come back the next spring.

Stormy, I think that red daylily must be Hunter's Torch. It's either that or Leonard Bernstein.

I love the blue corydalis. Heck, I love all corydalis but one of these days I want to get some blue ones. Does that one go dormant in the summer? I've heard elata doesn't.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, I don't know if the Corydalis goes to sleep. This is it's first summer here.

Hart, that daylily is "Caravan Red".

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

The yellow corydalis doesn't go dormant in the summer -- maybe by late summer (I'm not sure), but not mid-summer.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The red daylily I posted above is either Hunter's Torch or Leonard Bernstein.

I know the yellow's are okay, Happy. The blue ones are supposed to go dormant in summer except elata.

My yellow corydalis reseeded in several spots EXCEPT right where the plants were last year LOL; theyr'e in the rock edge.
Wood poppies DID cooperate very well from seed. I think Buttoneer brought seeds in Feb and I scattered and have a bunch of seedlings
All these prickly pear blooms--will I next have a bunch of fruits?

Quoting:
My yellow corydalis reseeded in several spots EXCEPT right where the plants were last year LOL
Sally, mine do the same thing, it just likes to wonder off and do its own thing.

Betty Corning is really looking great this year, so lite and airy.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Caster bean, anyone?

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Yes, next you'll get red fruits, Sally. Betty Corning looks like little pink bells, Chris. So pretty.

Mechanicsville, MD

Pink Monday daylily blooming on Tuesday.

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

I believe this is victoria blue salvia (annual has returned for year two) and purple vinca, red calibrochoa

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

Femme de Joie daylily

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

by myself daylily

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Look at all the buds on that Femme de joie! What a happy combination with the blue salvia and the red calibrochoa.

Mechanicsville, MD

Sundown echinacea

Thumbnail by wisdomskr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.