Disabled Gardeners Still Laughing With Joy

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

(not Jim) Thank you, Ladies. Maybe, he will listen to you. When I try to tell him things like that, he says something like, "Do I go around telling you the best ways to be blind?"
Carrie, any physically challenged woman (or man) who is still out in the world doing her (his) thing has my support. Hope it works out and they pay you well. Writing, I have discovered with the blog, is really not that easy.
Since Jim has been amusing himself telling stories about us, we think it only fair to tell one about him.
Six acres can be a large place when walking is painful. Jim has tried all sorts of solutions to the problem of keeping up with the rest of us when we are out and about and it is mealtime or we get a phone call. He finally hit on an inexpensive, low tech solution. Blowing a conch shell. Each of us has our own particular note. Even I (hearing impaired) have no problem hearing that sound! I have heard of places where there was a dinner bell, but I think only Amargia has a dinner shell. Getting a good sound out of a conch is not easy. I did not know Pennsylvania farm boys could do it.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hah! That is a funny image, Kay! Give Jim our best wishes and tell him not to be so silly next time!

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

(not Jim) "A picture is worth a thousand words." Or, so the L.D.'s tell me. Hope the audio label on this one is correct.

Thumbnail by Amargia
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Ok, I need some asssistance here-
what is this "(jim/ not Jim) deal at the beginningof any Kudzu entry?
How do you get sound out of a Conch shell? (a have a few and want to try. Played clarinet once upon a time ago)
I'm wondering how much fire insurance for Scraps for 6 month policy would be? I'd be very pleased to make a donation as an open house gift. Many people do house warming parties and that would be a reasonable request for "donation in lieu of gift"
Blowing cool air toward Steph (standing in front of A/c & open freezer door , Elvis must be blowwint to a he is ever at my side!) ^_^
I too cannot remember any compter actions that require the control key + a letter. BUT there is an easier (for me at least ) way to cut & paiste-
-simply highlight whatever you want to ct or copy, then with curser over the highlighted area, right click--
--that should bring a dropdown that you choose (by left clicking the mouse) copy, cut etc.------click copy .
ok--now go to wherever you want to copy it to and place the cursor where you want the copied address or whatever to begin-----right click the mouse, again you will get that drop down menu-----so now left click the choice for paiste--(*make sure you have placed the blinking cursor where it is to be paisted or it might end up somewhere else on your page)
--voila!
BTW, here is a neat gardening idea I want to share with everybody...so I copied it...and now I'll paiste it!

To get rid of those types of plants in a place you don’t want them I do the following. I have some plants (like some cone flowers and oregano) that want to take over and it works well. I have a hummingbird and butterfly area, an herb garden and plants that are resistant to trampling by dogs so I have to keep some tough ones in line.

Put on a rubber or latex glove, over that put on a cotton glove, then just dip your fingers in some Roundup, and lovingly pet the plant you don’t want. Be careful it’s not dripping on the ones that you do. Soon you’ll find that the ones that you so lovingly petted will be dead. (c:

You can also use one of those little cotton round ball glass washers to apply to plants near other plants but I like to trim that down a little with scissors before I use it so it’s easier to use and not so likely to drip.

Be sure to let them die off and then just pull out and throw away. This will also kill any runners that are attached to the plants you want gone~~~

Isn't that a great trick!!

{{{hugs to all}}}
Sheri

Oh, I nearly forgot-
Elvis has a weather report of Sunny & HOT (note the page he is reading) and the 5day forcast + entire USA colored red!

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I believe (but don't know) that blowing a conch would be like blowing any brass instrument. you sort of have to sputter into it. But I don't know so I should keep my fingers quiet.

Sheri, I don't like Steph there w/out fire insurance either but I can't really afford virtual housewarming gifts. Can you figure out a way to organize it?

As for the cut/copy issue ... people who can't see use all hot keys to do these things on the computer. That's just second nature. :-) I don't even touch my mouse. :) Learn them, and If you should ever have vision problems, you'll be glad you did! ^_^

I've been getting a bit confused by the posts, too ... but I'm thinking Kay is signing in with Jim's password? :-) Welcome Kay ... if I'm correct?
~Susan

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

yes, Jim and Kay both use kudzu to sign in - everyone from Armagia does.

Who else besides Jim/Kay so I can keep track?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Once there was someone else but I forget who - Jenny, maybe?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Maybe it was Nadine! She is Mike (r.i.p.)'s daughter. I can barely keep track; please don't feel bad!

well, I'm not puter savvy and do not know what hot keys are andd many other things but that is simple way for cutand paiste for those of us whose dissability includes memory issues. telling us ut remember things is sort of like telling someone with other weakness's to just do it anyway.....it doesn't work......
I dont know anything about blowing any brass instruments either, (clarinet is woodwind)
the biggest help was the picture of Jim blowing a conch. I don't have a big one like that, so don't even have one with the hole at the fat end. Studying that picture did help though. Now I can blow a Shofar though and that is very difficult! I can make 3 different sounds!

Oh, and I'm sorry for mentioning a housewarming thing that we might do for Steph. I may have embarrased her as I doubt she would ask for help with anything like that. I just remember someone being all excited about $20.00 t shirts that would give free advertising for DG and figured that anyone that had that to spend would prefer to help a friend...guess that might just be my way of thinking though. I'm going back into my corner now and just read.
Elvis an I may do weather reports now and then though. hehe ^_^

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, DH (who can play any brass instrument well and most woodwinds passably) says it depends on the aperture that the conch shell has. If it doesn't have an in-hole and an out-hole, it won't work - our conch is like that, a dead end. You could, and ancient folks probably did, adjust the aperture by drilling or gouging it to suit. When it's just right you blow it like a trumpet: you tighten your lips and spit a hard stream of air into it. (Without any liquid, of course, "spit" and "stream" are both such wet sounding words but it's just fast, compressed air.)

I didn't mean anything by my post ... sorry.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

No, Susan , she's talking to me, or referring to me.

This forum is too difficult ...
~ing to everyone

Woah.whoa..now I'm not gonna get sucked into another round with anybody!! I am not "referring" to anyone or trying to start anything. I asked a question about the conch shell blowing..assuming that the person who knew abuot blowing conch shells would answer my question ..not just get a guess from someone who can "guess" or figure" as well as I can. Carrie, have you ever truly blown a conch shell? well that was what I was asking...gee whiz, sometimes it seems that some can go on and on bout anything and give opinions and advise and instruction on everything and others can't even make a little statement without some kind of row starting. this is why I write here so infrequently.
If anyone writes about anything and then a queston get asked about it..., but Carrie, you seem to answer. And not with faact, but with your "guess". Well we could all guess. we could all google also, but makybe, just maybe we are trying to get some information from the person who wrote about how to do something!
Sorry, but this happens so much that I can not just keep quiet another time.
I gotta go. Bye

~~~Oh my Everyone~~
The chalk has screeched here on the blackboard once again!
I'm sorry for my part. Hot tempers, ego, pride, whatever it is or was, i don't like to go off and wanted to immediately cool my jets.

~Sheri~

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sheri,

Terribly sorry to have offended you, we've got to stick together and not irritate each other. I'm really sorry if I've been irritating you too often - I consider you a friend.

I chipped in about the conch question for two reasons. One, I knew Jim was AWOL and is the conch-blower in the in the group. He wasn't likely to be answering any questions any time soon.

Two, my DH has been teaching people how to play brass instruments for 40+ years; conchs and elephant tusk or ram/goat horn-type things are considered to be the true antecedents of ancient brass instruments which are of course, the direct ancestors of modern brass instruments. A conch is simply a primitive, naturally formed (with or without assistance) instrument that works the same way, on the same principle, as a modern brass instrument, as is the shofar. I cannot play any of those instruments at all, but i can sure talk a lot about them! I am terribly impressed by people who can.

I definitely have one of those "those who can, do; those who can't, teach" type degrees. I love to teach, and tend to do it at the drop of a hat. Most of the DG forums, like say "Perennials" for instance, I am a student, but in this forum I let my Inner Teacher out a little too much, since I know more about having MS than I do growing perennials.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey everybody, It was a little cooler today, Thank Goodness. We now have Electricity and everything works fine so far. Will not get to hook up air conditioner yet because my SIL has to work at his real job tomorrow. He thought he would be able to come tomorrow and hook it up. Maybe next week. We got all hubby's saws and stuff set up under carport/back porch and started trimwork, It was lunch before we got started and we got 2 windows done, I think. He cuts and I sand with sander and then he nails up while I start sanding next one. He had it set up for me to work at a table but it was too high and hurt my shoulders and back so I changed it and set me up a place to work on a short stool and it helped alot to have wood down low so I could put pressure on it while I sand. "Necessity is mother of invention" kind of thing. We do what we have to do.

I want to say THank you to Birdie for the offer of money for fire insurance. You have the biggest heart lady and I thank you kindly for your offer but Hubs could buy it he is just one of those people who seems to think he will be ok without it. He honestly just has more Faith than me because he says God is watching out for us. If you look at it his way he is saving money but I have too little Faith I suppose. I did not mean to sound like I was asking for money. But I appreciate so much the kindness. It is so great that we have made such close relationships online. I think of all you guys often throughout the day and in my Prayers. I think we have so much in common since we all deal with pain and disabilities of some kind. Yet we all share the love of flowers and growing also. Must be a really special combo of things we have in common because it was so great to have someone offer to help pay for fire insurance. Wow! That is what I call a great friend Birdie. Thank you from the heart my dear. I have friends I have known for years that would not offer something like that if my life depended on it. But truly it is not necessary, once he goes back to work he will be able to get it if he wants it. His Dad has never insured his house. He is so lucky he never had a fire too because they use wood heat also.

I have to tell you guys something sweet. My little 3 year old nephew came by today and before he left he ask me," Aunt Sesame can I have one of dim flowers for my momma?" Stephanie is just boring compared to Aunt Sesame! I would have cut them all for him just to hear him say it again. When I ask what kind he wanted he said a "wellow one" It was one of the sweetest thing I ever heard. His momma got a big hand full of Blackeyed susans and red Gladiolias. He was one happy little boy. when he left he had the biggest smile on his dirty little face. He played in dirt pile while he was there. Just wanted to share that with you guys. That is why I work until I cannot move just trying to plant a few "smiles". I love flowers and love to share them too. I have got to go to bed my feet are swelling tonight from being on them too much I guess. LOve and Prayers, scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

So glad you have tricity scraps. Another big step in getting there. I had a real tomato off the vine yesterday. Almost as good as electricity.Was'nt mine but DD sent me one.
Carrie, Ted Kennedy has always been a favorite person of mine and i had'nt seen how he is doing lately. Have you guys heard anything?

Sheri, it is really time to go to the beach!!!! You are going to have to go and tell us every detail,and collect seashells for us. I've got some somewhere but i can't find them. Does that tell you how organzed i am?
I went to Walmarts yesterday. They have a solar light i really want but will have to wait till it goes on half price sale. They always put their garden stuff on half price so they can make room for school and yes,,,,,Christmas stuff. I
love Christmas decorating. I always buy it after Christmas for the next year. It'll be fun getting last years goodies out cause of course i never remember what i got. Last year black ornaments came out and i'm totally insulted you can't celebrate Jesus birthday with black.
I had some pretty hard chest pains yesterday in town and trouble breathing but all seems well today.probably just too hot.
My daylllys are blooming their heads off right now and i did'nt realize i had so many yellow ones I'll have to get some more pink ones.
Prayers and warm fuzzy thoughts going out to you all.
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think pink and yellow look great together, Vickie. We have tons of Stellas blooming now which DH bought at Home Depot because they were cheap. I want to dig all the Stellas up and bring them to church which is very dull, no flowers at all. I think I have to get it approved by somebody and then of course I would need plenty of help, both digging up and replanting.

We went to an event honoring my husband in Connecticut last night with a bunch of people I didn't know and we had to drive for five hours and spend $100 on a hotel (whine, whine, whine). It was very nice to see him that happy so i tried to be a good sport about it; I truly hope i was successful. Sometimes I think I'm making such an effort for him and it turns out he's making more of an effort by taking the wheelchair in and out of his car or transferring me or whatever and his back is killing him. I hate to find out later that we had to do so-and-so "because I said so." Anyway, I am totally wiped out now!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

carrie, I've realized since my DH passed that everything we did for eachother was done in happy love for almost anything the other needed, even if not the most pleasent. So just enjoy being together and relish the love.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We had FUN being together in his little car, even in the traffic jams! It was the bathroom stops that were hard for both of us.

Since almost the day we met 12 years we've been deciding who'll die first. Sometimes he thinks he'll outlive me; both his parents lived into their 90s, whereas most of my family have died in their 70s or younger. There's a lot of cancer in my family. On the other hand, he is ten years older than I am so that ought to give him a head start.

It started out as kind of predicting who would outlive the other, boasting about who could live the longest. Then I almost died in 2001, and he says he has worse PTSD from that than from all his years in Viet Nam. Now he begs me to let him go first. I can't imagine life without him, except I guess it would be lonelier.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Vicki, I love those first tomatoes of the season. It is like a new treat each year. I had a bacon tomato sandwich for lunch. Man was it great. I got these at farmers market but it was still good. We did not have time to work a garden this year so I will have to get mine at farmers market. They are grown locally so that makes them better somehow. I just do not know what I would eat in summer that would be any better than a tomato bacon sandwich. I cannot eat lettuce much it gives me tummy ache. So mine are not BLT just BT. It is a cool refreshing meal in this heat.

Carrie, I just finished another book by Jodie Picoult called "Mercy". It is about a woman that has cancer and ask her hubby to put her out of her misery. It makes you think twice about the power of love. It was a touching story. I hope you are with us for a very long time so don't go making jokes about leaving us girl. There would be nobody to keep us in line. BTW it is taking a long time to load on dial up would you start us a new link or whatever, Please. Love and prayers,scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You got it Steph. hang on a minute.

Please folks, follow me over to the next thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/pf.php

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Carrie, that link didn't work for me. How about:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1008131/

Gee sounds fun

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.