Disabled Gardeners Still Laughing With Joy

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone,
Thanks Carrie for telling me about Cando1 I sent her a Dmail. I had not looked at Birthdays as usual. I just came straight here from work on house.
Thanks Jim for Anniversary wish. I enjoyed the story about grocery store. I get myself in a pickle sometimes and can't get up without something to pushup on. I like the idea about T shirt being funny because of the name of the thread. Too bad I do not have pictures of some of the perdicaments I have found myself in but they might be too embarrassing anyway. I got my rolling stool stuck in the garden last year and while trying to get it out fell in between the squash and okra and had a time getting up and out of the garden. Ablebodied people have no idea how hard it is to garden when you can barely get around.scraps

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Happy anneversary Steph!! ^_^ Congrats on such a good strong frugal homebuilding healthy childrearing fun-fishing 20 years!!!!
^_^

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

So, kids, I need ideas for this fabulous article I am going to write. I'd like to use a lot of quotations and stories from our threads, and I will of course ask permission. Ack, I'm too tired to think at the moment, but when Steph says

Quoting:
Ablebodied people have no idea how hard it is to garden when you can barely get around.
she really hit the nail on the head. Yet we still laugh and go fishing and sing.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

(Jim) The initial response from the others was unanimous when I asked what they saw as a symbol for accessible gardening. Mike’s old wheelchairs.
Mike was the one we lost a few years ago to diabetes complications. When he got a new wheelchair, he always recycled the old one. He would turn it into practical garden art. Mike worked with Johnny’s United Shows in his misspent youth. He was a “carni”, in other words. He would paint his old chairs in carnival colors. The plants and planters sitting in and hanging on the chair were the boldest and brightest you can imagine. He twined vines around the parts that were not working mechanisms. They were something to see! This may just be an Amargia thing though. Maybe you had to know Mike.

The people who think Amargia is like some disabled person’s Utopia were always disappointed with the way Mike and Kay behaved toward one another. When those two locked horns, everyone ducked and covered. They locked horns often. But, they were both random violent crime survivors and that created some sort of understanding and bond between them.. Kay decided to take on the young psychopath who broke into her apartment in court. The young punks fellow gang members and family threatened harm to her and her daughters, if she showed up in the courtroom. Mike responded with, “If anyone is gonna kill Kay, its gonna be me. Somebody who don’t even know the ***** ain’t got the right!” Mike was a swamp rat. He called in some of his swamp rat friends to act as body guards for Kay and her daughters. The scariest things to be found in southern swamps are not always the alligators. In the end, I think the criminal was happy to go to prison. It was the safest place for him.
Mike could be cynical. Sometimes, he was a “the glass is half empty and the water that is there is probably polluted.” sort of guy. We still miss him though. We really do. There were times his abrasive. 60 grit sandpaper ways were just what we needed to smooth things out. If that makes any sense.

I need to make a post to Amargia’s blog. We have been neglecting it. Have a blessed evening everyone.

Sorry. I just re- read my own post. That was a total downer. Don't know what got into me. Pain was BAD yesterday. Please continue without me, Ladies. I had better stick to video games and not socialize until I learn better control.

Thumbnail by Amargia
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I didn't think so, Jim, it reminded me of my step-sons protecting me against my ex-husband. Which is lovely to think that anyone would do that for me. i have to go to bed, but I didn't think your post was that bad. Pain can be a downer all by itself. We do have our other thread if you need some cheese and whine. Where is Amargia's blog? (What a stunning lily!)

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey Kudzu, do not be so hard on yourself. we all have bad days and whine and vent our frustrations. Somedays we just say what is on our minds whether it be on topic or not. Sounds to me like you were thinking of an old friend that you miss. Sounds like Mike was into some unique kind of art. I occasionally get a little weird with my artistic talents too. You just never know how someone else will take something like a wheelchair covered in vines and flowers. I would think it could be quite a funny thing for the guy who had to live in that chair to turn it into a flower pot or whatever just to put a twisted or humorus spin on a painful subject. I refuse to sign my name on my art because I am timid about it so I sign it scriblescraps which is a combination of my names, maiden and current. Plus it kind of lets people know I do not take it too seriously. I have not had time in the last 3 years to do anything artistic. All I have done lately is clear off our property where we are building our house and then work on the house. I hope soon I will be able to get moved and build be a shed for craftwork and artistic efforts. Who knew it would take soooooooo long to get a house built. But we cut down trees and sawed them on sawmill of my hubby 's family. It has taken way to long. But I will treasure it because I know how hard it was to do. It would not have as much meaning if someone else had throwed it together in a couple months. Have a good evening. I need to shower and go to bed I painted all day and I am exhausted. Love and prayers, scraps

Cheese and whine. I like that. Around here we call it "howling." "Growling" if it is meant to get the others to do, or stop doing, something. Like, the V.I.'s growled about we L.D.'s leaving things out in the walkways and leaving doors halfway open. Things like that make life harder than need be on the visually impaired.
I am by nature an up and positive person, but I made a mistake Saturday night. The pain wasn't letting me sleep so I took one of my dearly beloved's sleeping meds. She told me to take only half, a full one would be to strong for me. But, I "went John Wayne" as she put it. If the little lady could handle a whole one, a big, strong man like me would certainly be able to. Right? My mind still feels like it is wading through molasses. I did Aget some recuperative sleep, though. Will get my own prescription.
Different Shades of Green is at http://gardening-unlimited.blogspot.com/2009/04/grace-and-beauty-under-fire.html . We got tired of answering the same "How do you...." questions over and over, Now, we can just point the curious toward the blog.
I enjoy hearing about the work on your house, Scraps. I am looking forward to the day we can start the building here. We voted to get the property paid off first. It would cost so much to adapt this place for easy wheelchair accessibility that we have decided to build new.
Thanks for understanding, guys. I love the people here, but it is hard being the only mobility impaired/chronic pain type.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

But you aren't! Jim, my husband has done that SOOOO many times I can't even begin to count. You macho weaklings are not alone! Stand together in John Wayne solidarity! The amount and strength of drugs I take every day would knock DH out for a week.

Sadly he's in the chronic pain club too, and is so surprised to be here! (He was planning to be the "strong one" in the marriage. Ha, say I.) He broke his back 5 years ago by falling ~20 ft. onto asphalt. Luckily he wasn't killed or paralyzed. Unluckily, he broke the tips off three back-bones. At the time he thought, okay, broken bones heal, then they're better, good as new. Now the pain that has never completely gone away is coming back, too strong for his current pain meds to control. Scary.

Anyone know anything about Topamax?

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello Everyone hope it is a good day for you all.

Jim, I am glad you like hearing about the house.I do not mean to bore anyone with it but it is what is going on around here so it is all I have to talk about. When the work is done (if ever) I will be back to having nothing to talk about. Hubs made us pay for the place first too. Took five years paying double payments too. We ate alot of fish and deer then too. Free meat because we were so broke trying to get it paid for. People who just go buy a house have no idea what goes into it. We cut trees to saw and so it has been such an ordeal. I had no idea. Or I would have opted for a mobile home or camping trailer.LOL. It is work and lots of it. But it will be ours and we will have our old age home and we will need it by the time we finish too.LOL I understand about being the only one with chronic pain. I am always in pain just gets to be less if I do not do anything for days. Sometimes I do not even get relief then so I just scoot around on my stool and do what I can. I can walk but it hurts so bad from the fibromyalgia and back pain. I do not want to complain though or he will make me stop helping and I want to move in yesterday already.

Carrie, I took topomax for a while and it caused me to start having blurred vision badly so watch carefully.
phone call be back later

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Well i just deleted a long post here accidently. so will rewrite it later. Glad to be back and thanks for the birthday cards. you all take care.
cando1
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh Vickie! Good to see you - please post again!

Topamax gave you blurred vision, Steph? I have an eye doctor appt. this week - maybe it's not my contacts, maybe it's the Topamax....

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Carrie, It sure did and it was pretty bad I alreadt have to have glasses to see anything. I am near sighted so I have to wear them to drive and signs were so blurry I could not read them. Thought it was diabetes but the eye dr. Suggested I quit taking the topamax and it cleared up. Later I found out I also have diabetes but vision is only blurry if it is very high like over 300. so be sure you ask about it. I hate it is happening to you but we have to try them to see what works. Have a good evening. Steph

I do not know anything about Topamax, Carrie. But, my god-daughter in CT just sent an E mail. She could barely see for days. Her eyes were swollen and watery. She thought it was the different type of pine pollen or something. Could there be something in the environment?
A belated "Happy Birthday", cando1.
Try not to overdo it in this heat, Scraps. It was rough out there today. The ladies were in their mad scientist mode today. They are trying to develop an ideal, but very affordable rolling surface for the wheelchair accessible garden, patio areas and pathways. Since I am the only mobility impaired person at Amargia now and I do not require a wheelchair yet, they were testing the strength of the “concrete” by jumping up and down and dancing around on it. I could have driven the two miles to a recreation center for the elderly and borrowed a wheelchair to test the surface. But, I was having too much fun watching three mature women jumping and hopping around that way.
I planted a raised bed in Melinda’s Greek garden with Echinacea (purple cone flowers) Mindy is one of our T.A.P.’s, but she teaches disabled children. Coneflowers are not very Greek, I admit. But, I know Mindy likes them and I think there should be some flowers to catch her daughters’ interest. There is a pergola with grapes growing on it and some Mediterranean herbs. No color though. Coneflowers might be tough enough to survive the attentions of a 3 and a 5 year old.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Jim, I DO know that the expertly designed human body can't put enough weight on one fut to simulate the weight of a person, sometimes heavy, in a wheelchair, sometimes heavy and not necessarily perfectly designed. Tell your ladies it's like trying to tell if nail polish is dry. It 'seems' dry enough until you smash it between the grab bar and something else, then it's all scratched up. Then again you wouldn't be able to enjoy their dancing!

I'm going to start a new thread about prescription meds.

Hope everyone is doing well this evening.
We sold some of our overstock to a local nursery today. My dearly beloved actually came home from the nursery with more money and fewer plants than she left with. And people say there is no such thing as miracles! Ha! In the past, my DB would inevitably touch or smell something she just had to have. There were times I could have sworn the nursery owner intentionally put his most fragrant and tactilely interesting plants out where Kay would brush against them. She would come home with more plants than she left with because she would trade instead of sell. What Will Rogers always said about people, Kay could say about plants. “Never met a plant I didn’t like.”
I’ve been researching fibro-myalgia. Something I kept meaning to do. My family reunion is the 4th of July and my favorite niece has been diagnosed with it. Last time I was home (the heartland of PA) she was not well but the doctors thought it was depression or Lyme disease. Odd how things happen sometimes.
Good idea, Carrie. People need to share their experiences with meds. One of my new brothers-in-law is a pharmacist. He is involved in that movement to change some of the basic ways the system does things. He believes pharmacist should do the actual prescribing and the doctor’s job should just be to diagnose and monitor. He claims there is no way a doctor can possibly stay current on pharmaceutical research on top of all the other responsibilities. And, there is almost always more than one doctor involved in an individual patient’s care. It really is a “let the patient beware” sort of situation these days.
I don’t think my unscheduled flight was quite as far as your husbands. In the Air Force we say any landing you can walk away from is a good one. I am not entirely sure I agree with that, but it could have been worse. I was blown out of the plane I was working on by an av-gas explosion. I thank the powers that be the door was open and I was working near it. Most of my hair was singed off. I now sincerely hope I don’t lose my hair as I age because I know now, for a fact, I would make one really ugly bald guy.
Nadine, Amargia’s artist-sometimes-in-residence, thought a combining of two of Scraps ideas would make a cool t-shirt. The somewhat battered, but smiling gardener combined with the “critter” thing. She says if you make the gardener a cartoon animal of some sort that would give just enough emotional distance that everyone would think it funny. She suggested a frog but she has a frog obsession. She has frog t-shirts, key chains, jewelry…… We are trying to find her a 12 Step program. No luck so far.
Catch up with everyone in a few days. Jim

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi, I'm Nadine and I'm obsessed with frogs. "Hi, Nadine." Ha ha ha. Good luck.

Good job on Kay's plant transaction!

So a frog in a WC holding a bunch of flowers? Something like that?

Jim, I didn't know you were USAF... viet nam too? Or did I? (It's the Swiss cheese brain showing again, darn.)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here's the drugs thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1001174/

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Kudzu Thanks for the warning about not overdoing it in the heat. I did not do much today because hubs said I was run down. So I just kept him company most of the day. But I was still very hot. This humidity is killer. It is like being inside the dryer. Mike said he just got wet and sweaty once today and then stayed that way all day.
I like the idea of a frog in a wheelchair. Maybe he should be blind too? We have to be all inclusive.LOL. What do you think his garden would look like? Oh wait, it would look like mine. LOL could not resist. I think his/her garden would be funny. he could have weird shaped topiaries, possibly shaped like the bugs he likes to eat. He could have statuary of other frogs maybe like frog angels or sexy frogs dressed like females. His flowers would be planted in crooked rows with smashed flowers where his wheelchair ran over some of them. It would probably be like mine in that it would have no order. I must go to bed I am getting silly. Nite!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Steph, your frog's silly garden would be ok for a greeting card but I don't think it would do for a Tshirt - too much small detail we can't see without getting too close to the wearer for comfort. (Although yes, he could have dark glasses, indicating he's either blind or very hip.) (Or both, like Stevie Wonder.)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Here's my laugh with joy contribution...our first grandchild. A not-so-little boy born on the 10th, 8 lbs, 1 oz and 21 inches! His name is Cedric.Here he is with his beautiful mama.

Thumbnail by PlantiMcPlanter
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Goodness! Will i ever get caught up.
First i have to tell scraps that i too am an outside nut,that thinks i can make the inside be outside. my living room has a rock brook fountain. There are silk vines everywhere that i change with the seasons. My windows have no curtains.untill recently all my decor had something to do with outdoors. Lately i've fallen in love with crystal and feminine what nots and have been trying to combine the two. Will probably end up with a crystal bowl with river rocks in it.LOL BTW I've saved up to buy my stuff one thing at a time over the years seeing as how i'm not rich. lol
We had storms yesterday. I was in Hobby Lobby when we were herded into a small room for safety. Just high winds. In Clarksville a roof was blown off and power lines and trees were down. We never have the damage up here in the mountains like down in the valley. The storms all seem to follow the Arkansas river and not the mountains. except we were without electricity for 5 hours.

see ya later,

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OHH! Cedric and mom are beautiful and cando is back (happy birthday)!

I'm glad you're safe and Ok - all we have around here are VERY high tides and that's not here, that's a few towns over. Sometimes the electricity goes out for a half an hour! On the other hand there's no place anywhere I would dare eat the fish - I barely eat local veggies, I'm afraid of this landfill/dirt.

(Nadi) “Well, Doctor, it all started when I was just a little tadpole with Sesame Street and Kermit, The Frog……”
Here is something I drew for Papa Jim when I was a kid but it gives the basic idea. Put this T.A.F. in a WC with a subtitle like: “It Ain’t Easy Being Green.” And, I think you would have a radical tee shirt.
Don’t think Papa Jim is old enough to have been in the Vietnam conflict. I just remember his being in Okanawa and Saudi Arabia-Kuwait.
Scraps, it is too detailed for anything but one of those very expensive art tees, but I would like to draw your idea just for the fun of it. Was it this heat or does your mind always work like that. (grin)
Cute baby!
--Nadine, The Frog Queen.

Thumbnail by Amargia
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh Nadine!!! I Love your frog plate. Is it a plate?? my niece gave me a plate that she did in summer camp, so I thought that your froggie was one too. 'I sure am looking forward to your gardener sketch!
Hope ll is well with everybody!
luv yas
Sheri

The Bluebird of hapiness!!

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey everyone, I hope you all had a good day. I got to work in yard today because hubs was elsewhere helping a neighbor. Man was it hot today. Steamy as a sauna.
Carrie,My comment about the frogs garden was just making a comment to the question I asked( What would his garden look like?) I was not really suggesting it for the Tshirt. Just running my mouth or typing my thoughts. I am an insomniac and have to take meds around 9 pm and wait until I am sleepy enough to pass out before going to bed. I was getting silly. Having fun all by myself I suppose.

Congrats, Planti, on new babe !!!!

Cando, I am glad someone else thinks that way about being outdoors. I would stay out all the time if I could. Except in heat like today. I hate being hot and sweaty. But I had to get some yardwork done while he was occupied. I have been painting and helping him instead of gardening. Yard was a disaster. Looks better now.

Nadi, My mind works like that. I am told I am creative. Gotta Go to bed. Meds have hit me. Goodnight all, scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Love the bluebird, love the frog, but I agree, too much detail for what we're thinking. And could you draw a (blind?) frog in a WC? "It's Not that Easy Being Green and In A Wheelchair and Blind..." "It's not That Easy Hurting All the Time ..."

Crap, I'm in a horrible mood, I feel sick and I hurt. Sorry. I'll shut up.

(Jim) I'm sorry you are having to endure such a thorny stretch of the path, Carrie. You are in my prayers. One of the young people who came through Amargia gave me the reproduction of a very strange painting called "The Scream." It is just what it sounds like. A person standing on a bridge in the middle of a unrestrained scream. I did not understand it when it was given to me. I do now.

Nadi is headed back to school. She says she will send a scan of the frog's garden picture when she finishes it. Nadi is Mike's daughter. Mike. of bizarrely repurposed wheelchair fame. Can you tell? She loves your idea, Scraps. She will run with it. Now, she has decided there needs to be a bluebird in the picture to symbolize joy.

Congratulations, PlantiMcPlanter.

Rain and wind storms again here, too. Weather has been crazy this year.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, don't worry about me, Jim, this is just a cold or virus - the kind that you drink tea and give thanks that you don't have a "real job." With MS unless I'm on some immune suppressant, which I'm not, I usually get better in a day. The hurting is chronic background noise of life. One can't listen to it.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I spent the whole day moving some wild ferns from the woods to my new yard and moving some seedlings that came up in a clump. It was so good to have time to get out there and get some things done in the yard. I have had to work indoors way too much lately. It makes being out in the heat and humidity harder. I really like getting the ferns for free out of my woods. I wish I had more time to look them up and determine what kind they are. Maybe this winter I will have time. If I take pictures now I suppose that would work.

Jim I am so happy that she likes my idea. I have strange ones sometimes that most folks think are silly. I am anxiously awaiting her picture. I do not have time to draw anymore, or carve, or crochet, Or sleep,So I can't wait until house is ready and we move in. I need a big craft area and will have to build one after house is finished. So it will be a long time before I get to do anything but work on house and yard.
Have a good evening everyone. Love and prayers, scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ha! I wish we had woods ... but if wishes were horses then beggars would ride. It sounds wonderful that you're gardening again, Steph! I'm so happy that you have that house. I suggested to DH today that he clear out the 'playspace' and he agreed. (Means sometime in the next five years he might do it - I'm crossing my fingers for 5 weeks!) The playspace was designed as the original dining area of the house, but I made it into a playroom for my kids when they were little, so it has flowers painted on the walls and a sun painted on the ceiling and shelves mounted on the walls. Then DH moved in and put his huge desk INSIDE the shelves and put some of his stuff on the bookshelves but who knows what's behind the desk, or whether he'll actually fix up the room.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Carrie, I know exactly what you mean. This house has been a wish for 20 years partially because he would not do upkeep on this one because it is on his fathers place. I thought we would move this house and remodel. but he is a carpenter and hates tearing out and redoing something. He would rather build from scratch. So believe me when I say my current house is in bad shape. He wanted to build on our property so he would not spend a penny on this house. It all went in bank for new one. I was so frustrated about it I once threatened to get his best friend to build me some shelves and closet in baby room. She just graduated high school. but when she was a baby I could not get him to build without a threat. I know what you mean by a procrastinating spouse. I am so happy we finally got around to building. Be right back

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Carrie, miracles do happen. I talked him into moving three ferns today. They were big and I wanted to get alot of dirt around roots so they would survive this heat. I begged real sweetly and he did it. He was not thrilled and left immediately afterwards but he did it. I know it is not a great time to be moving them with it soooo hot but I have not had time with all the painting and we had done the living room and were waiting on it to dry so I talked him into it. Sometimes they can make you so mad but there is a heart in there somewhere. LOL. I made the mistake of moving some blackeyed susans and they look wilted. So no more for now. Scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Huraaaaaaay! I'm so happy for you! It's been great plant-moving weather all spring - cool and rainy or overcast all the time. Blah. Hard to remember it's hot in other places! Maybe it's just hard to imagine....

Hey, Carrie. Can I borrow your writing talent. I will be careful with it, and return it as soon as I am finished with it.

The one nice thing about this heat (over 100, if you factor in the heat index.) is that it slows down even my dear wife. Now, she will have time to do some blog post. And, maybe some house work. Well, I can dream, can't I. We've got our gender roles almost completely reversed. I am beginning to understand what brought about the woman's liberation movement.

I am turning a washer drum into a planter for the WC accessible garden. So, if I could borrow some of your artistic talent, Scraps, that would be nice too. I would be hopeless at such things without stencils. The ladies brought the drum into my office so I can work on it in AC comfort. Decorating it with an autumn motif. Thought I would do a sort of four seasons thing with the WC garden. When the heat really settles in here, I start looking forward to fall.

We are in the Gulf Coast plains. Is it much cooler in the higher elevations, Cando1?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oooof. Heat over 85 and I melt.

Jim, hearing about all these drugs makes me think I may have more writing talent than I thought. Underneath the tramadol and the klonipin and the gabapentin topamax blah blah.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Hey all, We're about 8 or 10 degrees cooler than the valley, but curses we have the same humidity so its still steamy. We were in the 70s most of the day but will get in the 90s by friday.
Carrie, think you write great. but you might try science fiction when taking your drugs.LOL If i could write i could come up with some duseys late at night when my meds kick in.

Jim is the drum that thing inside the washer with all the holes in it. That would make a great planter.

scraps, good luck with the ferns and black eyed susans keep the ferns watered well. I'm always bringing stuff up from the woods and i always thank my birds for bringing seeds around. I never know what will show up next year.Wish i could train them to get just what i want. I'm feeding them all year this year. Usually just feed in winter. I'm also feeding 5 little squirrels which i'll probably regret. But what can i say my little chuhuahua likes to chase them up a tree.

Keep up the good work with DH. When i got really aggrivated with my DH i took off to his sisters house for a couple of days and he usually came around to my way of thinking........But not always.

I was really depressed but came out of it. I'm starting to have mild chest pains from time to time but nothing bad.

i'll pick my first cuke tomorrow. I've all but got down and measured it to see if it was big enough and it's not going to get big.
Have been told to keep an eye out for tomato horn worms now. oh well!!!

scraps, i like to do art work none spectacular but i injoy it. Have you noticed it is getting harder to find crochet patterns. The in thing seems to be knitting.

Well goodnight all. Dream of butterflys and lightning bugs.
Vickie

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello Everyone, Hope it was a good day for you all. Mine was good nothing special. One more room painted and marked off the chore chart. Did I mention I do not like house painting and will never get rich doing it? I also hate hot steamy humid mississippi summers. Man was it hot today. 95 with a heat index but I missed that number.
Carrie, You know we all have good points and bad when it comes to climate. I would love to have milder summers but would not want all the deep snow or severe cold. What would be nice, would be to migrate like birds and to be able to always be happy about weather.
Kudzu1 The heat has me slowed down so slow I can barely move. If it gets any hotter here I will melt for sure. I am so sweet and all.LOL. You are welcome to my talent for a while because I am not using it doing house painting. That is why it is boring. Hubs wants plain walls. I could do a mural but he does not want it so maybe he has seen enough of my work to last him a lifetime and he does not want to look at it anymore. I am no great artist but I can do anything with God's help. If I try to do something to sell it flops. My church can ask for a poster or mural and people call for days bragging. So I gave up years ago trying to do it for profit because it will not happen until God says so. A friend of mine keeps saying that if she had my talent she would be rich. She does not get it. God knows when it is from the heart and when it is for money.

Cando/vicki, Yes i have noticed that alot of things are for knitting. I would love to learn someday. When I have time??? Yeah right.

Love and prayers, Scraps

(JimJ) Yes!!! It will not win me a Pulitzer prize, but it is finally done. Someone else has to do the next post. I thgought that writer's block stuff just applied to professional fiction writers. Not so sure now.

We are trying to create a wheelchair accessible garden from mostly recycled material. There is one planter made from an old refrigerater and many from washer and dryer drums. Yes, that inside part of the washer. Kay does her concrete magic on them first to make them look better. Then, turns them over to me to decorate. It is turning out better than I imagined at first. The problems now is saying "No. Thank you." to those people who want to give their old appliances to Amargia, rather than pay the landfill fee.

I was stationed in White Sands, NM for years. I miss having high country nearby where I can escape the heat. This seems worse than the New Mexico desert!

My DW says I can make as many jokes as I like here about her lack of domestic inclinations. Just as long as the people reading this know that I vacuum the dog. Hey, the dog likes it! I don't think that makes me a "clean freak."

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Jim, I just had a weird idea. What If you used a washer and had plants that bloom white and hang like a vine flowing out of it like overflowing suds. Then put some little clear round globes or spheres like bubbles all around it. Make it look like bubbles are everywhere around it. I saw something once like the little clear things you use to get toys out of a bubble gum machine in and they were hung on a fishing line in air and looked like bubbles floating. So if the old washer was near a tree you could hang some in air like bubbles all around. Then out of an old dryer you could have colorful plants inside and flowing out. Then you could have a clothes line full of hanging plants instead of laundry. In between the hanging plants you could use wooden cutouts in shape of clothes on line for plant tags or memorials to friends that are no longer with you etc. I am on a roll now. On top of old stove you could have plants in old pots and pans. Then some spilling out the oven. The fridge could have plants in containers that resemble things that go in fridge. You could use all the old appliances and your wheelchair gardeners can garden easier from containers. You could set it up in garden rooms just like an old house. Walls could be shrubs. I am having fun imagining all you could do with peoples leftovers. I have an old grill that someday I would love to do a minature garden in with fairies for grandkids to find. I need to go BBL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.