Disabled Gardeners Still Laughing With Joy

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey everyone, I loved the poem. I thought it had something to do with online games but the explanation helped alot. It sounds like a fun community too. I would love to do something like that someday. Hubby would frown on it saying something like the liability would be too high or something boring like that. Me, I would have all 16 acres in a huge community garden and home for the homeless or disabled. I might wind up get robbed blind but I have a big open heart and would love to be surrounded by people with different challenges and better yet different creative gifts. That would be the greatest part of a community like yours. I would guess that with a variety of people you have a variety of gifts as well. Artist, cooks, gifted gardeners and writers etc. It sounds awesome to me.

Darwim(Dee) Welcome, It is nice to meet you and I want to learn more about you so feel free to jump in or Dmail me if you like. I started this link to reach out to others like yourself and Me that love to grow stuff and hurt when we do it. I find it so frustrating and figured others did too. So I thought we could have our own little support group type of thing. You work in the garden and grunt and groan and you are welcome here.LOL. Birdie and I have fms also and know exactly what you are going through. I do what weeding I get done from a rolling stool. Looks like a tractor seat on wheels and it has truly helped me alot. I am building a new house and can't wait to plant a garden there. I have moved some things up there already but not much. I would love to know the answer to your question myself. I never thought about the bugs and insects that might dwell underneath harming the plants. Excellent question. I had thought about doing paths of some kind probably can't afford the stepping stones for a while but just a few at a time. So I will be interested to hear from others about that. I need room between the plants for my stool or later a wheelchair if need be. I need to go for now be back later. Have a good evening everyone.Scraps

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Sure, but first....Thanks for the pointer to that link, BirdieBlue. And, I didn't mean to be inconsiderate when I posted the wren pics. I haven't been on the Bird Watching forum in a couple of weeks. I did not know about the bluebirds.

Kay bought the preperty that is now Amargia for her mother. She planned to restore it to its former beauty and give it as a gift. Amargia is a small part of the land Kay's family once owned. Miss Helen died before the rehab was finished, but it was important to her that Kay did not sell the property. Miss Helen was mostly Native American. This was ancestral land to her.

When you are functionally blind and hard of hearing, four acres of land is a lot. (Six acres now.) So she called on her friends for help. It just happened that many of Kay's friends are also disabled. Things just grew naturally from there. We had to sell a couple of acres to the west when one of us died. To cover funeral cost. But our neighbor put an even larger amount of acreage at our disposal to the south in exchange for rehabing it the way we did the original property.

We still have a long way to go, but we get a little closer to our goal every day.

The local nurseryman who sold me the Owari gave me a truckload of compost to get me out of the doghouse with the others. Guess what I will be doing tomorrow? Meds are kicking in. I'm beginning to flag. Wishing all a good night.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

my toes are numb , so if they get stepped on,it takes a really Hard clomp to get my attention (usually)
I think your shared work and assistance sounds wonderful Dar.
and Scraps, you know how I love your sharing about your house.
I think that whenever any of us share about even a little triumph.. or a problem that the others can either cheer us on and rejoice that some of us are being creative and trying to over come. Or if sharing a hurt or problem, we can share experience strength and hope.
My $.02 for the day.
Love, Sheri

Well, we had pole beans and new potatoes for supper from the garden last night. :-) This is my second year growing potatoes and my first for growing beans. I found an article on growing potatoes in a 30 gallon garbage can, so of course had to give it a try. It works but now I want to move on to bigger and better. The yield is small due to space confinements, and you can't reuse the dirt again for potatoes. I'm researching the possibility of growing some in straw in the fall. My problem will be finding a suitable spot in my yard. That's my accomplishment to report. :-)
~Susan

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yummy yummy, Susan! I started a lot of celery or something a lot like celery foliage - very leafy a flavorful - the next trick will be to get DH to cook with it. I am so impressed by all you gardeners who actually eat what you grow!

This year we have some bee-yoo-ti-full poppies! I've been chugging along with one, maybe two blossoms a year, now all of a sudden we have a whole patch of poppies!!! It's so exciting. ... a gardening success! Some of them I bought and some of them I wintersowed, and at this point I don't really remember which is which, but they're lovely.

Oh Carey those do sound pretty. The only Poppy I've ever seen are those little fake things the Veterans? use to give out. I can't remember for sure, but I think that's the group. LOL

As for my garden, I have 16 varieties of heirloom tomatoes I started from seed. I grow peppers and cucumbers also. :-) I always say my motto for growing is ... If I can't smell it or can't taste it ... then why grow it! LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's a good motto. Mine is, if I can't see it from seated on the patio, why grow it?

Did I screw you up with "bee-yoo-tee-full?" Sorry. And my name is C-A-R-R-I-E, I don't know if you can teach that to your typer-thing ... people have been mis-spelling my name all my life.

The poppies are the ones that the veterans are imitating, I think, only these are real. They have big black centers, at least as big as a silver dollar, and ruffly papery petals that are mostly poppy-red, some are fading to a paler coral pink, a new one today is a darker rose-red. The foliage is pretty hideous and I was advised to plant something in front of them, and may even have done so originally, but I never thought the poppies would last. I'm not sure what will be in front of them when the flowers are done and just the foliage is left. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Sorry for misspelling your name, Carrie. Sometimes I just plain forget to look and see how things are spelled. I have the ability to spell things but don't always remember to do it. :) You didn't mess me up a bit with your discription! :) Actually, it made me smile!

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey everyone, Hope you are all doing well today.
Kudzu1, That sounds like a great property and community. I think it would be fun to have partners in crime to work with growing and planting things. Someone to share in the ups and downs. Someone to sit in the shade with once the work is done. Hubs does not get a kick out of growing stuff just eating it. He is a big guy and loves fresh food but does not get joy out of growing it. Maybe someday I can encourage him to share some property for a community garden. Now it all has timber but someday we will cut some.
Carrie, I have planted poppie seed several times without much luck. I just sowed them in spring but I am thrilled yours are doing well. I always smile when I see pictures of poppie fields they are such bright cheery flowers.
Birdie, I am glad I am not boring you with talk about my little house in the woods. It is fun having a dream coming closer and closer to fullfillment. I have so many ideas and dreams that I would like to accomplish up there in the yard and property.
Susan, we had fresh potatoes,squash, and cabagge one night this week and truly enjoyed them. There is nothing better than fresh potatoes from the garden. We were too busy on house this year for a garden but my M-in-law sent us some veggies. Next year maybe I will try the garbage can method. Must go cook supper now be back later.
Everyone have a good evening. Scraps

I am going over to PlantFiles to check out poppies. The way you described them, Carrie, I could almost see them in a certain bed just off the front deck. I know Kay has some California poppies in one of the beds. So maybe other types can handle the humidity.
Five years ago, Scraps, I would not have even considered buying flower seed. Go to the trouble of hunting down a specific type of flower seed? Forget it! Your husband may surprise you yet

Flowers are cool, but my stomach will always dictate most of my plant choices.
Do you have a problem with your pots in full sun, Susan? Getting too hot and drying out too fast? I am trying those water retention crystals in the pots that are in full sun. Looks good. so far. Verdicts not in yet, though.

Re-potted two bonsai and worked a little while on the wheelchair garden. Check in to see how everyone is doing tomorrow.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

kudzu1, Nothing would please me more than to see him get excited over a flower. LOL He has come to tolerate them in 20 years so maybe that is a start. He tells me a funny story of being in kindergarten and refusing to color a picture of a flower for his mom for mother's day. The teacher finally talked him into it by saying he could color it any color not a girly color. Then she told him one day he would have a wife that loved flowers and he would help her plant them. He told her, "no way will I ever marry no girl." Now it has come about just as she said. I thought that was so funny. I can just see him all bowed up, arms crossed, refusing to color a flower because it was girl stuff. He has changed alot in the 20 years but I will have to let you know when he gets excited over one because it will be a miracle.Scraps

kudzu1,
I use Earth Boxes for my veggies and have the watering system so that makes it easy for me to take care of them. I also have some drip lines that the DH has fixed for me for some of my other pots. I use soaker hoses on timers for things in the yard. I couldn't be without these. The first couple of years I almost worked myself to death trying to keep things watered.

My DH is a sweetheart, helping with a lot of my gardening chores like digging holes or helping to transplant my tiny plants from seed trays into pots. The first time , they're so delicate, they can be difficult to handle. I pot them up and label them with a Braille label tag that I make. One thing I wish I could get him to do, though, is take pictures. I guess that sounds weird, but I like to chart my progress, and I love pictures. I try not to make my hobby his, though. Sometimes it's hard when there are things I can't do on my own. :-) I just try to be thankful that he is willing to help. It does seem to make a difference that I'm growing 2 of his favorite things ... tomatoes and cucumbers. big grin!

I hope everyone has a blessed night. Will check in tomorrow to see how everyone is doing. :)
~Susan

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Susan, can you use written or online journal descriptions to chart your progress?

Scraps, that IS a funny picture of your husband in kindergarten! My, how we get so programmed about "girl" colors and tasks and jobs and interests and traits, and so early!

And Jim, the poppies take a while to get established, but once they're there, they're pretty carefree.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2009 8:19 AM

Carrie, it's not the written part I have the problem with. :-) I chart the progress of everything I grow. I have records as far back as 2005, but would love to keep a photo journey too. I wasn't complaining. Just stating a fact. :-)

(Kay) We have Jim all tied up with wiring today. We bought a new fax machine. Susan, you might want to check out Vince's Paralax http://www.freewebs.com/batfromhell/blindgardening.html. It is a UK based site and he has a Read Aloud system, so don't be startled when you are welcomed to his site in British English. Don't know how that will mesh with JAWS. We use ZoomText since some who work here are just legally blind. He has a lot going on on his sites. There is some stuff on blind photography. That sounds weird EVEN TO ME.

I took a few of the flower photos on Different Shades of Green. That is Amargia's blog. I just line up the lens of the digital camera with what I want a photo of. Most of the shots I take end up being erased, of course. That is the nice thing about digital photography. If only one photo out of the ten you snap is good....so what! It isn't like you've wasted expensive film or anything.

I LOVE what you have done with the place, Ladies. I've breezed through here before but it was a little dreary. This thread gives the forum some balance. Kudos!

If I were a critter, I would be a rabbit. A mad, March hare. A white rabbit with a pocket watch and a wescot pocket to put it in. "Curiouser. And, curiouser." said Alice. Have a wonderful day. Jim will be back with you tomorrow. He will need a day to relax and recover from what he did today.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I ignored this forum for years before I started posting here regularly... persistence pays off, I guess, or maybe stubbornness.

I was hired as a DG writer to write a "how to be a disabled gardener" article. Turns out 1.I'm not a very good gardener ^_^ 2.I do it by getting temporarily-able-bodied people to do things for me 3.THERE IS NO ONE WAY!!! Even among the allegedly "normal' writers we have rheumatoid arthritis, HIV positive and post polio syndrome that I know about. So although I think I'm a good writer and have written many other articles, I still haven't written the ultimate "how to garden from a wheelchair" or "how to garden despite physical limitations" article. I think when I do write it, it's going to be more of "how do YOU do it?" looking at different situations and how people cope with their physical limitations. There is no one-size-fits-all answer, you know?

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Kudzu1, I am glad you are enjoying the place more. We are trying to keep things more positive and fun while still having a place to vent if necessary. I loved your critter line. I think it kind of gives us a mental picture of how one feels about themselves and I know I am a drag most days but inside I am still the little squirrel of my childhood storybook that said something like twirly whirly whisky frisky runs the squirrel to the ground and whirly twirly back again. I dream of things I will do when morning comes and then I am not spry enough to do it all like in my dreams. My Doctor said that is why I have to take sleep meds because I can't shut off my hyperactive brain long enough to sleep deeply. But I am trying to stay positive and keep busy regardless. So have a good evening and I will be back later maybe.

Carrie, He was definitely programmed that he was a boy and boys do not do certain things. I had to completely retrain him.LOL. It is a work in progress, however. He is way better than his father about the roles in the family thing. his father has mellowed alot but not enough to fix his own plate or wash a dish or load of laundry. I think everybody needs to know how to take care of ones self. You never know when you will need to eat and there will not be a woman around.LOL. Be back later...........scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ha ha ha I like thinking of this forum or Forum as a place. You know a lot of the regional forums have tee-shirts. I have a DG tee-shirt but not a Northeast Forum tee... Would any of you buy a tee if somebody designed one? What is a symbol of "accessibility?" There's that dumb wheelchair sign - but does that work for everyone, and is that more a negative or more a positive?

Here's just a quick, crude, mock-up of what we could do. If we do it this way, it's like $20 or so each (the transaction is between each of us and Zazzle) and i think Dave's gets a few cents for each shirt.

http://www.zazzle.com/cr/design/pt-shirt/?customize_it=true&pd=235084010101816309&style=ladies_casual_scoop&color=frostpink&size=a_l&context=irena&view=front&side_front=vert&side_back=horz&group=womens&lifeStyle=all&get_started_dialog=false

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

carrie, I don't have money for a tshirt right now but it is a great idea for those who can. Here is an idea for you though, you said your gardening mistakes and funny gardening mishaps came with pictures. It might be fun to have Cartoon with someone in the mud or bottom up in garden and still laughing, hence the title Disabled gardeners still laughing with joy. That is just what popped into my quirky mind at the thought of a tshirt for our group. I would pose but would break the camera. Someone more creative might come up with a funny one. I just wanted to pass on my 2cents worth. LOL.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That IS a good idea. Somewhere I have to find the pictures of when my WC tipped over the wheelbarrow full of flowers! (Although there weren't any pictures of ME, just of the poor flowers before, during and after.)

I remember ...I think it was Susan's description of when her shoes got stuck in the mud and she just fell down and started weeding where she was stuck.
I cannot afford $20 for a teeshirt right now either. But it is a cute idea.
I have a mental pic of a cartoon character with maybe an icepack tied to their head, a back brace and maybe knee brace too awkwardly trying to plant or dig with a big hilarious laugh instead of a grimace on their face.
My 2cents for the day
{{{hugs}}} to everyone

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I like the cartoon idea. Maybe we could do a co-op and get them to come down on the price? If my kids wanted a $20 Tshirt, I would say don't be ridiculous! But I definitely have had a zillion moments like Susan's, where you can't do what you originally planned so you do what you CAN do instead!!

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

hello everyone, hope you are having a good day. it rained a while today so we have been under the back porch staining and watching it rain. I decided to take a break and now the sun is out but it is muddy. Good enough excuse not to weed I say. Might get stuck in the mud.
I think a cartoon would be cute for those who can afford it. I saw a funny line that someone wrote once that said something like, you know you are old when you bend over to tie your shoes and you do whatever else needs doing while you are down there such as pick up things out of the floor or wipe cabinet doors. Now I know what they mean. I am not really old but my back feels like it. I catch myself doing that alot.
I can just see you Carrie falling over the wheel barrow and then since you can't get up you just scoot around weeding and planting until help comes. The way my luck usually goes I land in a fireant bed when I go down and wind up hopping up scratching or in poison ivy. I have poison ivy rash now on my arm and do not know where I got it. It must be in my dirt. BBL

oh nooo...Poisen Ivy
"TECHNU-oak n Ivy" - at the drugstire is great stuff for taking the ureshiul out of it so it wont spread and dalso drying it up. sometimes to dry it up I grit my teeth and pour bleach over the oozing itchy places. don't know why, but that helps.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Birdie, I have some of the technu stuff but did not know I had come in contact with any recently. I have acres of poison ivy so you would think I would be immune by now. I have pulled up so much of the stuff by the roots and then used that technu stuff. It works if you know you have been around it but i have been painting mostly. I weeded a small bed the other day but did so wearing gloves. Oh well, It is not new to me. Been dealing with it all my life I think. Climbing trees as a child I stayed broken out.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OUCH! I've never had poison ivy and I hope I never will. Bleach on the skin sounds kinda rough... but then so does P. I. I have some funny stories about my sweaty ex-H and all the places he scratched before he realixed he had been in a P.I. patch. Scraps, I hope you feel better soon. My grandma always had us kids wash with Fels Naptha soap.

(Jim) I like the T-shirt ideas, but I have to ask one thing. This shirt would not be some girlie color, would it? ROFL I do my share of the cooking, and I will do the laundry, if I don't have to deal with all those frilly things. Kay says she will not marry me until I learn to tie my own tie properly though. She-e-esh, women are demanding these days.

My sympathy Scraps. I just wipe the area with alcohol and take an allergy tab. No scratching!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

If you order it from Zazzle you usually can choose the color etc. yourself. It wouldn't be pink with cherubs and puffed sleeves, don't worry. If we went somewhere and tried to make our own little co-op, we'd have to agree on a style (regular basic men's is usually cheapest) and color (I hate white; they get so grubby so fast--I'd prefer gray or tan, but I'm pretty sure white is cheaper).

So Jim, you and Kay have a wedding coming up? Or you're still trying to reform enough. My husband and I had a "look, I thought I just saw a quarrel run past" moment today. I had asked him to take a shower. He kept putting it off. Then he got sore about all the things I "make" him do to be "acceptable" to me -- shower, shave, clean clothes, yadda yadda -- I am a tyrant. I never let him "be himself." I pointed out that if not for his taste in my grooming, I would be wearing a different hairstyle and red lipstick (and who knows what else would be different). (He hates lipstick with a purple passion.) He took a shower.

So be careful, Jim. There may be more to it than learning to tie your own tie. (Heck, I can tie your tie if need be.)

My x never brushed his teeth before coming to bed. And often didn't shave and he had a very rough 8pm shadow. those things can really be a big block in a relationship. I know that I eventually just got totally turned off and it was a shame, because he really was a good man.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey ya'll, the poison ivy is not bad just a little this time, it was just that I did not know I had touched any that was puzzling me. But Thanks for the sympathy anyway. Guys should never be force to wear colors they do not like but it sure hurts a woman's feelings when they will not wear a shirt that we buy for them. We would not steer you wrong on purpose. We usually know more about what looks good on you guys because we know these things you know. I bought hubs a shirt that said "Gentle Giant" because he is a big ole teddy bear but looks like a grizzly and he will not wear it so I guess I will have to use it for a night shirt. I thought it was cute. He said he did not want to be called a giant. Heck if it had been some ball team called the Giants he would have worn it but hey I got a brand new nightshirt.Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Birdie, I like sweet smelling Kisses myself. I hate it when men don't brush their teeth. I stay on the hubs about it and he says he never knows when I am going to kiss him. I say thats right so you should always have fresh breath. Oh well, at least he has teeth. For now anyway.
Jim, congrats on the upcoming wedding. I would be practicing if I loved her. She might go looking for a smart dressed man. We like smart dressed guys. But I think it is all in the attitude. A woman will fall for a sweet, gentle, caring,kind of guy everytime. No matter what he is wearing. We can dress them up but we can't change those bad attitudes.
Ok I have a funny garden related story to tell you about my Aunt. She had a steep hill in her back yard and she dumped all her compost down that hill and later would go down there from another area of the yard and turn it and move to a new pile etc. Well, one day she goes out there to dump some grass clippings down the hill and slipped and slid down the hill into the compost heap right on top of some cow manure. She said she felt like she was going down a slide in amusement park at 70 years of age. She said she just knew she was going to break her neck and die in that pile of manure. It was the soft landing that saved her life. She said she like to have never gotten up from there because her legs were slipping and sliding like a new born colt. She had to walk all way around the property to get back to the house because the hill was too steep for her to go back up. She could not find one shoe in the manure and so she went limping back home and had to undress under the carport before going inside because she had white carpet and is a clean freak. So she gets inside the house and her neighbor friend was inside panicking because she had heard her screaming as she went down the hill and had looked everywhere for her and could not find her. She is buck naked, covered with manure, hurting like crazy and her neighbor says, " Oh good, you are ok, I was so worried about you. What happened?" Aunty said, " I just went down a slippery slide at 90 miles an hour and had to walk half a mile back to the house. I think I can cancel that heart stress test I have sheduled for tomorrow. My ticker is just fine. The neighbor then asked, Did you do it naked? Aunty said, "Why heck yeah, it is more fun that way. You want to try it? " The neighbor lady's mouth dropped open so far it hit her chest and she said "Why Cleo I thought better of you. I can't believe you would do something like that." My Aunt laughed and said, " I was just joking hun, I fell down the hill into the compost heap which was covered in manure. Then I took my clothes and threw them in the trash so I would not get the junk in my house." She swears the lady left unhappy because she would not get to repeat the story on the gossip lines the way she first told it being sarcastic.
Now I must go to bed, Goodnight all, scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's a pretty good story!

Oh my goodness, Scraps, I havn't laughed so hard in a while. What a hoot. Your Aunty Cleo sure sounds like one heck of a fun lady. My Momma just was howling on the phone as I read your story to her today, too.
Thanks so much for sharing that.
Have a great day! We are having a monsoon here in Piedmont NC today!

Sheri

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey Sheri, Glad you liked it. She was a great lady. She was my second favorite aunt. She was a country lady to the core while my # 1 Aunt had lived in several places and was more of a city lady, she still had some down home country in her too. I miss them both so much it was fun writing about aunt cleo's story. She hated her gossipy neighbor and was always saying if that is religion I want no part of it. Her neighbor was methodist I think and she was baptist or episcopalian. They loved each other and kept an eye on each other but were like cats and dogs nipping at each other all the time. Aunt Cleo was a sweet sweet woman with a good sense of humor. She use to get in the floor with my girls and play billy goat gruff and it was the funniest site seeing her on the floor like a kid in her 70's and 80's. I am sitting here thinking of her and her good cooking now. Boy what I would do to see her and have some chocolate pie with her. Have a good day to you and everyone else. I may get to go pick out my paint for the new house today. We have only used someone elses leftovers as primer. I think I am going with a pale apple green unless I change my mind again. Be back later, Scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, paint shopping is fun! I think it's worth taking the time to try samples of different colors in the room, if you can. My bedroom, I thought the painter and I understood each other but when I said "the color of this towel" I meant "THE COLOR OF THIS TOWEL" not "a color in the same family as this towel but paler and more pink." And when I wanted cream trim I was thinking of heavy, home-made whipped cream, or just heavy cream, or clotted cream, or sour cream, or buttermilk, and he was thinking cool-whip -- the trim is way too pale for me.

(Jim) Thanks, Scraps. I laughed so hard it hurt, but I didn’t care. Make sure to eat before you go shopping for your paint. The ladies told me, from now on, they will let me have breakfast before sending me out for house paints. I just look at the color and never pay any attention to the silly names they give paint They got a kick out of my coming back with “Cup of Joe” for the trim and “Croissant” for the body.

Kay and I are now legally married. It took a while to convince her because she is a little older than I am. It was a real hang-up for her. But, in the mind of my parents (who are both still alive); it isn’t for real until there is a church ceremony. Kay and I have been friends since I was six. We met at a wedding rehearsal. I was the ring bearer. My mother claims that the minister’s wife was trying to convince me to hold the flower girl’s hand when we walked down the isle. Some of my buddies would be at the wedding ceremony. There was no way I was going to let them see me holding a girl’s hand. The minister’s wife pointed out that I had been holding Kay’s hand earlier, leading her around. (Kay has always been visually impaired. She has gone blind very slowly over many years.) I told the Rev.’s wife Kay didn’t count. She was my friend. Not a “real girl.”
Kay has never liked rituals and ceremonies. She doesn’t even want a funeral. She says we should cremate her and use her ashes in the rose bed. She will eventually consent to the ceremony, though. For my mother, if not for me. My mom always wanted me to marry Kay. I think she was disappointed when I married my X.
I don’t think it is my lack of fashion sense that bothers Kay. It is the fact that I’ve always gotten women to knot my tie for me, instead of learning to do it for myself.
Thanks for letting me know about Earth Box gardening. I01. I was slow on the uptake. I had never heard of it.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Awe, Jim, that is a sweet love story. I think it helps to be friends first. Best wishes. I am glad you enjoyed the story. She was such a sweet lady, all prim and proper I would give my right arm to have had a video of her bumping down that hill headed for that pile of manure. I just can't imagine it because she was such a neat freak that had to have been her worst nightmare.

We got the paint purchased and now I just hope I can live with it for about 10 years because we will be too broke to buy more for a long time. With the hubs layed off and a daughter just starting college. They did not have the pale apple in the kind of paint he wanted to buy but a very close one by the name "aloe vera" so maybe the fact that it had a plant name means it is the perfect choice for me. The hubs then surprised me by taking me to dinner for our anniversary (20th). It is also my daughters 18 birthday and my moms birthday (68) all on Tuesday June 9. So we had to start early to find time alone. Will have to go see Mom on tuesday. My DD's friends surprised her tonight by all meeting at Logan's Roadhouse and giving her a party. She told us she was going somewhere with her one friend and come to find out all the rest were there already and waiting when they got there. She was sooooo surprised. Oh, to be 18 again!!!!!!!!!!! Goodnight everyone.Love and prayers, scraps

Hi y'all!
Sorry I've been MIA but I've been buried in some technical manuals instead of the garden since we've been having rain. :)

Congrats Jim ... and I hope the earth box info was useful. :)

Oh and happy anniversary, scraps!! :-)

As for colors, I always tell my DH he has a tallent for being able to describe them. :)

I picked 5 cucumbers ... 3 last night and 2 again tonight. :) We'll be having beans and potatoes again, too.

Okay, here's a ~ to everyone for now. Back to my manuals. LOL
~Susan

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks Susan, I do not know how I would describe this pale green unless it would be the palest apple green or a pastel yellow green. I wanted to do something that would make a room feel cool and refreshing. I like alot of natural things around me. Things that make me feel I am outdoors even when I must be indoors. The house is surrounded by trees and I will open the curtains and hope it feels like you are a part of nature. I like bringing in flowers and ferns in spring and summer. Having acorns and leaves around in fall and pine boughs and red berries in winter. Anything that makes it feel more like being outside. I would love to paint a tree branch hanging down in several places throughout the house maybe in the corners to tie it all together but I am afraid I will get tired of it and want to change it and hubs would not be happy with me. Need to go to bed getting sleepy. Scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Scraps - Steph- YOU STAY UP TOO LATE!

Jim, that is a very touching love story! So sweet... I wish I had known my husband when he was little.

Now, everyone, today is cando1's birthday. I don't know where she's been recently, but she is one of us, so if anyone wants to send her a happy birthday Dmail, that would be lovely, I think.

She's posted last in this thread - did we lose her? Oh dear.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/982824/#new

(Jim) I will put the t-shirt design question to the creative types here, Carrie. We should get a laugh out of what their kaleidoscope minds come up with, if nothing else. The computer that had Amargia’s best pictures on it was fried in a lightning storm. (The downside of digital photography.) One picture comes to mind, however. Kay’s Leaderdog, Stanley, wearing his working harness, sitting in the little wagon we have for behind the riding mower. And, one of the blind kids (I can’t remember who.) driving the tractor. Keeping it on the path by using a piece of PVC pipe the way he would have his cane. Running it along the mondo grass border.
Humor seems like a natural choice given the subject of our thread. What we see as funny though, a T.A.P. might see as sad.
I needed to look at items on the bottom shelf at the store, but I can’t bend over. So, I just eased myself into a sitting position. Found exactly what I wanted but I wasn’t able to get back up. An ancient man finally came along and moved my shopping cart close enough I could grab on and pull myself up. He must have been 90 and not much over five feet. I haven’t even hit the half century mark yet and I am a burly 6’3”. I found the situation funny, (The old man seemed to have gotten a kick out of it, as well.) but not everyone would.
Maybe, I01, you will be an inspiration to certain blind women I know. They seem to think the rule is, "If all else fails, read the instruction manual."
Happy Aniversary, Scraps.
If it doesn't stop raining every day here, my next workshop project will have to be an Ark. I can just see the ladies carrying the plants in two by two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.