2009 Clematis blooms Daily part II

Delaware, OH

well put julia jayne. hubbies in the garden are like a pest without a product to fix. i try and keep mine out of anything but hardscape. his famous quote " i am not your water boy"

East Bend, NC

Thanks for the reference Garden Quilts I also found several good references on the web when I searched "juglone". I planted 6 of the new reblooming azaleas on the west side of my yard early this spring about ten feet from a line of trees .Three of which are black walnuts. Three of those azaleas were almost dead. I have been pampering them and watching them for weeks and could not figure out the problem. I dug up all the azaleas yesterday, washed off the roots and repotted them. Am not sure where to put them now. I think I will try Rose of Sharon along that side . I do happen to have a Sweet Autumn Clematis on that side of the yard it is about 20 feet from one of the Black Walnut trees and it seems to be thriving.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Here's Asao. Not a tall as last year. But considering 50% of the vine collapsed last year after blooming, I'm pleased with her recovery.

Thumbnail by figaro52
Delaware, OH

figaro, that is a beautiful clem. i think i remember that clem from last year, which is one reason i got asao. the qualites of the plant remind me of guernsey, something about the stems and leaves. yours is very pretty. i put mine in last fall, it was a local , well rooted gallon purchase ( at a nice , specialty nursery not the big box store) and this spring i had two blooms, so i am looking forward to seeing how it does and how much it comes along this year.
how old is yours?

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

CG, thanks for the compliment! I purchased mine locally and planted it in the fall of 2006. First spring was only about 2 feet tall, but bloomed pretty well. Then she really took off the following year. I've noticed lots of new shoots this year. Hopefully next year she'll cover the obelisk again! BTW, I sprinkled a generous amount of DE around the base of her.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's beautiful! Most of mine in the garden are cooling down -- except Jackmanii still are as vibrant as it was last week.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Delaware, OH

pretty lily, jackmanii with your namesake!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ah, undeniably Lily is my first love in the garden. :-) Thanks CG.

More Clematis and Liliums. This one I believe is 'Henryi' with an un-named Asiatic Lily.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Just as I though 'Multi-blue' is done for the blooming season, here is its late-bloomer.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Very pretty Lily..I love "Multi-Blue"...Jeanne

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Jeanne, how is the weather there in Willis?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Last of my clematis for now, it's time to turn to liliums blooms in the garden on my zone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Delaware, OH

pretty. looks so cool and inviting.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Here's the clem I moved that is too much behind my gardenia - maybe Will Goodwin?

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is clematis "Negritianka" with rose 'Portlandia' I don't recommend Portlandia because the blooms fade too fast but I'm stuck with them now.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Same rose with Proteus.

Thumbnail by doss
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Doss, both rose/clem combo are beautiful. Irwells50, I wished I knew, it looks lovely however.

Okay, my annual flowers bed is taking over for the time being.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Zone 4a)

lily...when do you expect your clematis to make another appearance? gosh i would be so disappointed if that is all I got for the season? I know mine mostly bloom from the end of June onward....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dawn, as best as I can recall, early spring (early April-late May) is my peak bloom. Thereafter they rebloomed sporadically then a burst in the Fall. But as I learned from Clem.Guru if I time my pruning with added fertilization, my longer growing season could/should promote more blooms. Though, I know for one thing, these seem to be triggered to produce bloom when the wheather is cool (as in spring and Autumn breeze). Only thing is, in the deep South, spring and fall is very brief. Where summer makes the appearance more pronounce here. I've more fun planting tropicals here. Though, that involves lot of hard work.

Delaware, OH

doss, pretty blooms and combos. my negritana, put in last year is going to be good thi year, very vigorous. looking forward to it.
guess what cushions no there, but supposed to be delivered today. guess 2 weeks is good......

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Doss..love your combos!!..Brilliant...Jeanne

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Finally, my Versailles made it through winter, late frosts, etc. and is blooming. These are 5" blooms, and they get lighter until they're a beautiful shade of lavender. I LOVE this one!

Thumbnail by revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Closeup.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Such rich purple is your clematis! Has anyone noticed, most clem. has even-count petals. Four, six, eight such as Jackmanii, Durandii with their four petals ect. But this one, it has an odd number seven petals! Is that a trait, CG? What's your take on this?

Delaware, OH

pretty pretty purple clem. i must get that one one of these days. glad you ( and it) survived al those late storms)

lily...ots of clem have more than 4 sepals..but you are right there are many with 4......

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Crystal Fountain

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Delaware, OH

love crystal fountain. it is new for me and i am excited about it. pretty pretty bloom with lots of color nuance.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Agreed! Beautiful Angie!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This one was at Schreiners Iris display garden a few days ago. It was beautiful, but there was no marker on this that I could see. .

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks like Clematis "Multi-Blue" to me...Jeanne

Kannapolis, NC

Bea: That Crystal Fountain is something else! Wow.

Here's a NOID clem blooming now in Asheville:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Delaware, OH

bea hive, is that clematis "blue light"???

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I am not sure what that Clematis is. I found it at Schreiners Iris's in Salem. I hope to get back there soon and will go digging around for a marker or try to track down one of their ground keepers. I would like to have one as soon as I find out. Its beautiful and was very large as I remember.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hemo..your Noid looks like Clematis "Jackmanii" to me...Jeanne

Kannapolis, NC

Jeanne: That's what I've been calling it, with a question mark beside it, but given the fact that it was planted years ago by a previous owner, I'm pretty certain you're right, so Jackmanii it is! I knew someone here would help me nail it.

Angie

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Angie..your more than welcomed..there are so many Jackmanii in the world..and they are wonderful clematis...Jeanne

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Sugarblue, I sympathize with your problems with azaleas. Before knowing about Black Walnut toxicity, I put a Rhododendron near my walnut trees. It bloomed fine last year, but looked terrible this spring in spite of winter protection. I have since moved it. It was getting buds on the "dead" branches, so it may survive. I cut it back to keep it small while it recovers.

I suppose that by inhibiting competing plants, black walnut trees may help plants not susceptible to juglone toxicity.

The walnut trees here are covered with red trumpet vines. I hope that your clems do as well.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Gardenquilts, trumpet vines. Are you referring to Campsis radicans? Wow those plants are one tough cookies, if they endure winter up North.

I'll have to continue to enjoy others' clems. from cooler climate from these days on. Mine, their peak is done and all are in decline. Except I've one more yet to show its bloom for the season. That's comtese de bouchard clematis -- but I think I saw her making buds this morning. My other perennials such as Lilies and gardenias are officially taking over my clematis show right now.

Thanks everyone on your contribution regarding juglone. I'm learning something new while enjoying clematis in the garden. Isn't DG great?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Appleton, WI

The genus clematis is not susceptible to juglone. The problem trying to grow clematis under black walnut is the shade, dry soil and lack of nutrients.

Kannapolis, NC

Lily, yes, I love DG! I've learned so much here that my friends and neighbors are way impressed with my gardening "knowledge," and I owe it all to my new gardening friends and mentors on DG.

Don't know what I'd do without it!

Angie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.