Spring Show your pic's ...#2

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

meadowyck, try posting your unknown in the Plant ID forum, perhaps with a close-up shot as well, it kind of looks like a sedum to me in the leaves but the blooms are really different. I'd love to find out too what it is!
huggergirl, what a sweet relaxed garden kitty!

CP, you know I am a fan! Love Indy's peek-a-boo through the blooms shot!

BeaHive, I got Victorine in a trade a few months back and potted it up first before deciding where to plant it, here you can see how small, even the leaves are mini.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Janet, have you ever tried laying down cardboard or layers of newspaper on top of sod, then mulching on top of that? That works really well for me. There were no garden areas when I moved here in spring of '07, so I was just plunking plants out where I knew I wanted beds and where the conditions were right for them. Then I went in between with overlapping cardboard and mulched with straw. By fall all the grass was dead and the area was full of worms- they had practically tilled the soil for me. It was just right for planting bulbs and other plants. Your beds are looking really good! Lovely combo there in the front yard :-)

Neal

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

huggergirl & meadowyck. Very pretty gardens you both have.

Sue. that iris is just so cute! I have some short stubby ones , but that Victorine is just adorable. You will have to pick a good location in your garden to show that one off!.

I bought an Iceland poppy today. For the life of me I can not get these to grow from seed. So now I am happy.. ;)

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Also found a red chief poppy that is the prettiest red. Can't wait for this little one to bloom.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Lewisia Howellii. Love this plant. New to me this year..they have beautiful little flowers.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

gemini

That is how I did all of my raised beds last year. Mowed the grass real short, laid the newspapers and then some weed wrap on top. This year the weed wrap is almost gone underneath and nothing but lots of great worms.

I don't know why I didn't think about doing that around those plants. Thanks for the reminder...

I have another gardener friend who now get this, has so much excess twice chopped leaf mulch from last year that she offer me what ever I want...... I told her once I get over my sinus surgery I'll get my mask and be making trip after trip to load up. I've got the newspapers too, so guess that is another project for later this month....rofl. What would we do if we didn't create new projects for ourselves.

thanks all for the comments on my newly developing garden.

i so love see everyone else.

Beehive, I love the Iceland poppy as well.

Janet

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Janet, that leaf mold is the most awesome compost! Oh, you'll have wonderful garden space there- everything will be soooo happy :-)

Bea, that Lewisia is stunning!

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

meadowyck,definitly do the newspaper thing,and love that leaf mulch,as for the id it looks like sedum to me ,i like it !! I have dragons blood.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I just can't keep up with this great thread! Thanks for the comments on Indy, I do love the blue eyes and when she sits under blue plants I can't resist trying to get a shot of it. Indynanny--LOL! Here is my Indy with the Gallardias.

Beahive those Lewisia blooms are so pretty. They remind me of cactus blooms are orchids. I will have to see what conditions they like. Common name?

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

cactus. this is a nice web sit that explains different planting applications of the Lewisia. They will do well down your way with a bit of shade and water and some TLC. I have one in the ground and the rest in pots due to the excessive moisture we have here. Will see which is best. Hopefully they will be happy in both applications. :)

http://www.wildgingerfarm.com/GrowLewisia.htm

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

Love that pic of Indy though the baby blues are closed. I have blue eyes too. lol My guallardia will be blooming soon
Here's Gruss an Auchen taken this morning. First blooms on it and there are lots of buds.

Thumbnail by Indygardengal
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I've got polemonium blooming in the shade.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

cactus - Gallardias are beautiful. Mine for some reason didn't show back up this year. The last two years and especially last year they were wonderful. I miss them.

Indy - I love those pink ones.

Kayly polemonium this is a new plant to me. Is it not suppose to do well in shade???

Great thread here.

Janet

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Meadowyck, Jacob's Ladder (polemonium) is a woodland plant, so it does fine in shade. I guess that's what I was commenting on...having a pretty blue flower in a shady location. :)

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Cecil brunner rose - I like the different shades of reddish-peachy-coral that are present at the same time.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The Roses have started blooming, so it's really looking like a Cottage Garden to me now!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This is my favorite place in the garden right now, my pink bed. I've gotta get early pink blooms going in there, Hyacinths and Tulips for sure. It was driving me nuts in April to have no pink in my pink bed, LOL. But when May comes, it's PINK.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm loving heirloom Roses in the Cottage garden. They may only bloom once, but to smell roses while just walking around the gardens makes it so worth it. ....and they're finished before Japanese beetles emerge :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful, gemini_sage!

soilsandup, not sure what your pretty rose is but it's definitely not Cécile Brünner, which is a light pink polyantha rose, one form is a 2-4' shrub, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64548/
the more common one is a climber.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51965/

Do you have a closeup shot of a bloom? Maybe it can be IDed.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Sue - how interesting that what I have been calling a cecile brunner is not.
Here is a closeup of the blossoms. The flowers are about 1-2 inches in diameter. There is no fragrance. Hope the photo is clear enough for a proper IDing. This is the lightest coloring - some branches are darker.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

And here is a photo showing a whole branch. The flowers are in branching clusters. The leaves have a bunch of tiny thorns all along the edges.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

And lastly, an overview - it is a shrub that I keep trimmed to about 4 feet tall. I started it from a cutting that I got from a friend. I was pretty sure that he told me that it was a Cecile Brunner, but I may have heard wrong. 10 years of mistaken identity LoL. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Sue - were those photos good enough for you (or anyone else) to tell what exactly it is that I have? It does bloom very prolifically now, and periodically throughout the year until frost.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

The two David Austin rambling roses I added last year have wintered well and are loaded with blooms.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

David Austin's rambling rose "Crown Princess Margareta"

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

Not sure but my first thought was Bonica but your blooms are quite cupped and a little darker so not sure.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62429/

If I were you, I'd post those three shots in the Rose Forum, I don't grow pink roses but many do and may recognize it. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/roses/all/

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Sue. I'll follow your suggestion.

LeawoodGardener, gorgeous Austin rose! I have Crown Princess Margareta on my wish list.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Took some pics of my garden today. The Johnson's Blues are just starting to bloom. Old fashioned bleeding hearts are done, but the fringed leaved bleeding hearts are still going. Columbine is going strong. Veronica "Goodness Grows" is in bloom. Allium "purple sensation" is starting to go to seed, but my giant alliums are in full bloom. I have one lupine blooming, but it's a lot shorter than I expected, and is hiding behind other perennials. I'm thinking about removing my echinacea, b/c I think it's making things look too messy (I love the cottage garden look, but I like it to have a little bit of neatness to it), and replacing it with some annuals with daisy-like flowers: maybe osteospermum or argyrathemum frutescens. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's the giant allium with snow in summer in front.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Impatiens that I grew from seed (so proud) that they actually survived and are blooming.

Thumbnail by pgt

My favorite combo right now, clematis Warsaw Nike on the same arbor as Autumn Sunset rose.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

BeaHive, I just realized I never answered your question on what program I use to sign and date my pictures. For the most recent PF entries, I have been using my Canon program that came with the camera, lots more font options and colors than the other one I also use a lot, Irfanview, a free program with lots of great options.
http://www.irfanview.com/

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Sue. I will give this one a try. Appreciate the link and have book marked it for future reference.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Rocky Mountain Columbine.

Thumbnail by figaro52
Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Finally have Iris blooming,really warming up here,YES !!!!

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I so can't wait till my garden is established. It is so wonderful to get to take a peek into everyones garden here. So much beauty...

thanks for sharing pics folks. Gives me something to enjoy until down the road my garden is going....

Janet

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

pgt, lovely bed. I recall that twisted branch shrub from some photos last year? Really adds interest to the bed! Great combo Sue. I will add this photo to continue the purple theme going with the last couple of photos. This is one of the salvias I planted several years ago. I love how they perform so well in my climate, blooming for months and coming back each year. Can't recall the name of this one.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

NOID daisies

Thumbnail by lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Summer Sky coneflower

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.