Spring Show your pic's ...#2

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

This pic. is from last year but they are in full bloom again.
I love seeing all the beautiful flowers.
Keep them coming.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

I was going to show off my RedBud in full bloom ,well just took a walk to see what the deal was,my RedBud got zapped big argggg !! so here are tulip pictures !!!

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Lovely tulips. I have not been on DG for a few days, busy in the garden. Don't think I put this iris and Disneyland rose combo on yet. Our weather is perfect--love Spring and Summer!

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

The iris in my border are just starting - here's the first, an historic NoID a friend gave me a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Shasta viburnum in my border, along the creek.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Another old NoID iris, given to me by a fellow gardener a few years ago.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

The allium are starting to open.

Leawoodgardner,I love your Iris,mine are budding up,here is a cute little shot of spring beauties,also still working on that area in front of ac unit,trynig to hide it,got some lattice to put on the concrete wall in back .I shhould have moved my broom !!

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Greetings all and thanks for the beautiful pictures.

Beahive - regarding your post on April 22, 2009 10:49 PM and the "little side garden.... the shady side of the house."
What is the name of the beautiful blue flower in the center?
Also, thank you for posting information regarding your camera.

I'm new to the subscription side of DG and this is my first post. I'm adding a sad phone camera quality pic just to be able to contribute something... :-)

This tulip's bloom was almost 10 inches wide and just begging for attention.

Thumbnail by shanepa
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Wow, lovely blooms all!

My bluebells were a no show this year:(

Ahh, well. Such is life as a gardener..you can't save them all.

Tulips, daffs and a heuchera

Thumbnail by artemiss
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Bell song daffs and a Pewter Veil heuchera:

Thumbnail by artemiss
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

shanepa. I think the plant you are refering to is the Jack Frost Brunnera. It is a wonderful plant and brightens up any shady spot.

I took this front shot to send my Mom as she needs help in her shady area. Great plant . I give it an A+. Wish I had more shade!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Bea, that Jack Frost is just too pretty..I am convinced I need one for my shade bed after seeing your pictures of it!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Bea - Thank You so much for you quick response!!

Your Jack Frost Brunera is gorgeous and I think it will be my next attempt at filling a space in the shady spot of my 1930's brick house.

In my Shady Spot, I currently have thriving:
a beautiful Deutzia shrub
a Dicentra "Bleeding Heart"
several Hostas
several ferns
violas - Johnny Jump Ups
and an ornery Rose bush
however, my attempt at common Forget Me Not has been very lack luster.

I'm excited to have a new possible alternative to fulfill the vision I was shooting for.... Thank you!

We're having non-stop rain here in Central Pennsylvania. Drought for 2 years and now a deluge... 3 inches expected by Saturday. I've been weeding in the rain. :-)

Thanks again Bea!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I wish I had more shady areas. Coming from CA and having nothing but full sun most of the day..I was not able to enjoy all the shade loving plants most of my days. Now I live in a cooler climate , more cloudy & rainy days and I can try all these new plants. I am in heaven ! I think you will enjoy the jack frost. The nursery had tons of them today. To bad you are so far away..I would have picked one up for you. My youngest daughter will be moving to Waynesburg PA in about three months to attend college. I hope she can adjust to the cold winters.!

This cluster of bleeding hearts is amazing.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Bea, that really is an amazing cluster of blooms. I love bleeding hearts!

Everyone's photos look great. Keep 'em coming!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

kaylyred.. Thanks. The plant has just gone wild this spring. Here is the full shot. That cluster in my first shot was the part in the lower right of this picture.

This is what I like to call a "heart" attack! A good kind!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Beahive,thanks you solved my mystery plant,jack frost,just brought it home from a friends garden,free is always best !!!has anyone seen the new ' Burning Hearts'Dicentra hybird,oh my its beatiful,i will try to scan a picture out of my garden Gate magazine.(really a great mag.) Blooms just like my forgetmenots.Iam sure they are related.Referring back to the jack frost !! Is it a legal thing to scan apic out of a mag.???

This message was edited May 6, 2009 7:09 AM

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Burning Hearts is so on my want list. I'm going to look for it this weekend. I haven't had a lot of luck with fringed dicentras in the past, but now that I'm in a place with better soil and probably just the right kind of sunlight/shade mix, I think I'll give it a whirl again. The old-fashioned bleeding hearts are favorites of mine, but you've gotta love the fringed kind for how long they bloom.

huggergirl, magazine photos are definitely copyrighted. Although they probably won't protest you using a photo in a forum thread just to show off a plant. There are a ton of photos online if anyone wants to Google for them, though. Here's one:

http://www.pioneergardens.com/images/Dicentra%20Burning%20Hearts.JPG

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

It think it is Ok as long as you don't sell the picture. Acknowlegement of source is always good to. Can't wait to see it!

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Allium "Purple Sensation" starting to bloom. Thanks for turning me on to allium, Donna! I planted these in the fall after loving the 3 you sent me. I plan to add some white ones this fall.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Columbine starting to bloom . . .

Thumbnail by pgt
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

all great photos and welcome shanepa. I have been coming here for a couple of years I think. Never have the time I would like to respond or check in, but it is a great place to ask questions etc.

Love that bed pgt, the zig zag of that shrub is very interesting in that shot! This is my front bed with selfseeded larkspur and poppies around the roses.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

pgt & cactus..just beautiful. Dreary day with rain & wind. Your pics cheered me up!

KayleyRed, Thanks for the pic.of burning hearts,Yes I am goning to get one too,soo pretty !!

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

oooh, is the foliage on those burning hearts really as blue/gray as it looks in the picture? So pretty.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

From what I understand it is, pgt. That's part of the reason I want it so badly--that and the bright red and white "hearts." Isn't it cool? :D

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Kayly, I've got to get some of those burning hearts - they are gorgeous. I'm loving all these pictures!
Cactus, I like looking at your zone 8 pics b/c it's a little preview of what we're going to be enjoying soon. I love the combination of the larkspur with the roses and the poppies. I planted larkspur for the first time this year. I must have planted out about 50 plants (from wintersowing jugs) around our property. I didn't plant any in my main perennial garden though, and now, after seeing your pics I wish that I would have. They are so pretty. They just scream, "this is a cottage garden!" to me. I love everyone's pictures. Being partial to pinks and blues, I really like the combo of the blue bearded irises with the pink/orange roses, beahive. And Shane, that tulip is so pretty it almost looks like a poppy. Hugger, I love the color of that phlox - do you know what the cultivar is? Leawood, those blue and white irises are so serene looking, and I like the way the allium (?) buds look like they are about to head up to the sky. Artemis, that dark heuchera really make those daffodils and tulips stand out - who needs black mulch when you've got dark heuchera?! And GardenGus, you always have the most beautiful photographs - so many ideas, so little time.
I loooove spring. It makes me so happy to see everyone's flowers.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, cottagers, I'm thoroughly enjoying your pics for spring 2009! (-:

Cactuspatch, your combo garden is a knock-out! What color intensity! Love it! And pgt, I have been following the evolution of your borders for the past year, and really love what you're doing! So many beautiful pastels for the spring garden. The pink peony tulips are wanderful, artemiss, and I love the bleeding hearts, too. Brunnera is something I would love to try. And I wish I had some viburnums...

I've got a little creeping phlox thing going in our garden too. I've had a hard time getting it going in most places, but here and there it's taken hold. Also had good luck with the columbines this year. Most of mine have been started using the Wintersowing seed starting method.

This is a little 'fairy castle' garden I'm working on. Still pretty rough around the edges, but it's a start...:

Thumbnail by tabasco

And I don't have any fairies in the garden, but I do have a couple of little gnomes who hide in the strawberry plants there!

Thumbnail by tabasco

And over by the kitchen door we have our 'Victoria' rhubarb patch and a pot of french salad mix. I did have red tulips growing in between the rhubarb, but they're finished now. Parsley and borage will be coming in here soon.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh tabasco, that combo of blue/gray (is that artemisia?, and what's the cultivar?) and pink and deep purple, just speaks to me. Love it!!!

pgt, Thanks. I'm thinking it's A. 'silver dust'. I planted it because Artemisia is a host plant for Painted Lady and American Lady butterflies, but I haven't seen any caterpillars on it yet. Some people say Pearly Everlasting is a more popular host plant for PLs and ALs (in case you plant for the butterlies).

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

cactuspatch, love your color combination!

tabasco,beautiful fairy garden,we are just finally starting to see some color,columbine ready to pop,some of my iris are open,cant wait till my gardens  look like yours,you must be alittle more south than me,very nice work.

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

huggergirl that last photo is so "springy" ; ) Thanks for the kind comments, I love the larkspurs too and the bonus for me is that they reseed so I haven't planted any since 10 years ago when I threw out the seeds. They don't last the summer for me, but they do reseed and with my long season I have them in Spring and again in Fall. That fairy garden is delightful! These are some purple iris blooming where the white ones are done.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch

Cactuspatch,Your gardens are so full of blooms,beautiful,beautiful,I cant hardly wait till my gardens start blooming,slow going right now,I must admit the last pic was last yrs ,its an old wheel barrow ,i put waves,violas 5yrs ago,this yr I have to replant it ,got blown over lost a lot of dirt.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I love Spring because of the multitude of blooms. : ) I had violas planted that reseeded for a couple of years and this year they didn't come back. Gotta get some more, here we plant them in the fall for color all winter.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Don't have very many iris, and have no idea which ones they are.

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Irwell. Those are beautiful. Most of mine have no names either. I love the regardless!

This one is almont fully open.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.