Compassion for Gardeners with Pain - #4

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh I hate when that happens..the cursor gets bumped or something.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I dunno what happened - maybe what I was writing was too controversial...

Hi Birdie! How are you? We've missed you. Say hi to Jaqui.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow--DG has a thread for everyone! My problem is somewhat temporary (Costochondritis), but I've been dealing with it long enough to appreciate what folks who live with chronic pain are going thru. :(

I've been taking a lot of creative shortcuts to get my spring garden together because I can't dig in the Gulf Coast gumbo with my miserable aching chest. For weeks I've been ransacking the neighborhoods during big trash pickup nights snagging anything and everything that I can dump dirt into build up and plant above ground. lol

Props to all of you who continue to care for your gardens and yard critters despite the pain!

Huh? Not sure who is Jaqui?? But if I run across one , I'll sure say Hi!
I'm here, just not sayin much lately I guess. Tired of complaining and don't have much good news to share,so...
Thank you for thinking of me though, Carrie. I guess I have become a lurker. Just really enjoying Scrapps fishing adventure stories an watching my birdies.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey Ya'll, This old southern girl has been fishing again. If I do not take time out tomorrow and cut my grass my neighbors are going to start talking about the white trash neighbors. I had a good day again. I hope it is contagious and you all get to feeling as good as I have been. Hey if I had known fishing was this much fun I would have gone more in my younger days. it is tough on this old bird to sit in a boat for 6 hours. I sat in the floor alot today so I could prop up and my back would not hurt so much. I finally carried my camera but did not have alot of luck. I could not see anything but my reflection. I snapped a few just hoping they would come out even though I could not see the screen. With the old type camera that you put your eye up against you did not have to worry about the reflection on the screen. May be that I do not know what I am doing. It looks like a couple shots might be ok. I am charging now so will add pictures later. It takes a while on dial up. So bare with me as I try. Just maybe I can get one or two loaded. Be back later.Steph

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I tried out a new tool today, it helped a lot. Earlier this week I spent over an hour trimming mums back by hand and was miserable. I hit Lowes and found a rechargeable 2 pound grass clipper that has a short shearing attachment. It worked great, wasn't too heavy and I was finished with twice as many mums in half the time. I think it will work great on the tulips and daffodils when I have to cut them back. I sat on my little rolling stool so it wasn't to bad leaning over.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Jacki (I misspelled it before) is PlantiMcPlanter.

What is costochondritis? It sounds like rib inflammation? It sounds painful. Welcome, Bella!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the shout out :) Feeling better today than yesterday. Got about 4 plants planted but a batch of stuff potted up from seedlings. That will buy me some time before it needs to get in the ground. I sure started a lot of seeds this spring!

Hope you all had a good day, too. And a good sleep tonight...

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Well shoot, this dummy can not seem to down load pics from camera for some reason. Daughter had a headache when she came in from work and could not help me. Maybe tomorrow. I am sorry, Goodnight, Love and prayers, scraps

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

A little lake where we did some fishing in private. It was just off the main river. I thought it was beautiful up in there with all the cypress trees. It is not the greatest pic because I could not see the screen in sunlight.

Thumbnail by scraps
Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

I tried to get a shot of a blue heron who was keeping watch over this quiet little lake. Again it is not a very good picture but I tried.

Thumbnail by scraps
Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Sorry my meds are kicking in and I am getting sleepy so Goodnight. be back tomorrow,scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank you for those pictures. Somehow it means more to see a picture from someone who had to overcome some adversity to take the picture than it does to see a picture from some athletic hiker ... I don't know ... you know? Very pretty, Steph. Just don't show us any fish guts!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Looks peaceful, scraps. And beautiful!

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks you guys, I am no photographer but I tried.
Carrie, I know what you mean. You would think any idiot could take a picture but technology and I just do not always get along. You have to know how to work a computer to work a camera and I am doing good to be on this computer. High tech is not for me, but I am learning from my teen so maybe I can halfway keep up when she can tutor me. It is raining here this morning and so we are going to take it easy I hope. I may try to load another pic or two. It takes 10 or more minutes on dialup. Have agood day. Scraps

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

This is a pic of some wisteria that was blooming on side of river where hubs tied the boat to a limb where we were fishing.

Oops pic did not load will try again.

This message was edited May 16, 2009 10:18 AM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've been making a sort of a list of all the folks who have passed through this Forum for one reason or another -- I am almost up to thirty different names!!! The reason I was originally taken on as a Writer for DG was because I was supposed to write about gardening from a wheelchair.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

That is awsome that that many have responded for one reason or another. I know we get off topic but we are try to boost the mood of the people in pain for a while. When they come in from the garden hurting and need to vent their frustrations. Maybe we could do some research and find ways to help other gardeners.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Carrie I can't load pics today it keeps telling me it is in jpg format but I thought the others were also. Any ideas?

Scraps, thank you for those pics. that looks like such a great peaceful site!! hhh, relaxes me just to gaze at it. that Heron was really cool. Was it standing on that log jutting up. I get blurry pics sometimes too when shooting in the sun. When really frustrated over it (or when I think of it) I take a bandana or something ver my head and the camera (like in the olden days). That blocks the bright light from the LCD screen,....very frustrating indeed though. I also often forget to give the button that "2 step" push so that the camera can focus.l But you did great....you had the camera wth you!!! Yeah!!! Can't wait to see some more pics when Anna can help you figure the download problem.
Gosh how I would love to go fishing somewhere. Even just to sit on the bank for a while, but in a boat would be g-r-e-a-t!!
Have a great day and weekend everyone!!
{{hugs}},
Sheri

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Hey everyone~ Just looking for a little patience today...it's been sunny and warm and my body is NOT cooperating with me. I took a half of pain pill and will see how that goes; I'll either feel better or fall asleep. Either way it's better than this "I want to do something but I can't get my body to move" feeling. Argh...

I should just go out and sit in the sun...the weeds will wait, I'm sure.

Warm, painfree days to all,
Jacki

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey everyone, Sometimes I think we all need a day to just sit in the sun and doze. I had a day back in early spring when I just stopped and did just that and it "recharged my batteries" for a few days I think. I have enjoyed just being out and seeing mother nature around me when fishing with hubs. I do not know what he was thinking but I was looking at the trees for small shoots I could take home and plant and looking at the wildflowers and wondering if they would survive in my yard. I looked around at the birds and butterflies and just absorbed it all. Kind of like taking time to smell the roses as they say. It done me alot of good too. I have to tell you I think my girls are jealous that we have been spending so much time just loafing around and not taking all their calls etc. Well, let me rephase that, I take their calls I just say we are fishing is anything wrong and do not waste time chatting. My eldest will talk an hour on her way home if you have time to listen. It is funny to see them watching and wondering what the heck is happening with mom and dad doing all this fishing. They do not realise we have not had time in 20 years to both go off together because someone had to take care of them and their needs. Hehehe, they can do their own laundry and cooking now. Scraps

Ahhh.... the empty nest "non"-syndrome. ^_^'s

I love my empty nest, we do what we want when we want, except for DH's job. Taking a day to relax now and then is good for us, even God rested, who are we to argue with that?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sounds lovely, scraps!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I get the empty nest, but how do you get them to leave?

carrie, I don't think yours are old enough unless you want to pay their way. My youngest is 27, finally left 2 years ago. I miss him but only because he's in Colorado and it takes travel to visit. My girls are here at least once a week.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Carrie, You must be doing something right if they want to stay at home. Like cooking too good, doing their laundry, giving them money, buying them clothes etc. Stop being so good and they will be begging to get out. Hehehe. Shoot mine has to do so much for me that she wants to go off somewhere far far away to hear her talking about when she grows up she is out of here.... remember how we all thought we would be gone the minute we could. It just takes money to do that and she does not have it so she will have to work a while to get it. So she is mine for a few more years anyway regardless of what she thinks. Unless God forbid she gets married and I doubt that since she hates guys attitudes at this point. She thinks teen guys are stupid and I love it. She talks about how all they study are their trucks and 4wheelers and stuff all the time and they spend all their money buying stuff fot their spoiled girlfriends. So I think I am safe for now. College may change her some but we will see. scraps

LOl...if she was one of those "spoiled girlfriends" , I wonder if her talk would change. Kids , er people are so funny, er strange, er interesting....^_^

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Sorry I guess I should explain what I meant by that remark. What she means is really that she hates the way the guys let the girls take advantage of them by asking them to pay for their cell phone bill because they talk so much or asking their boyfriends to buy expensive purses like $200 ones or name brand clothing items that are over $100 etc. she thinks they are too dumb to see they are being taken advantage of. We have raised her to not except expensive gifts from young men that they will expect things in return or that it would be rude. So she is just thinking that these guys are crazy to work all week and spend big money on girls that are so spoiled that they think they can get what they want by whining to their boyfriends. The guys sit up in classes and talk about it and how they worked all wek and do not have enough to take the girls out because they have to buy dinner at fancy restraunts and movie tickets or certain girls will not go out. Things are different now I suppose than when we were young. She has a friend that is a guy but a year younger that goes out with her to movies and restraunts but she pays her own way. She hates the way they talk about it at school that they are broke because they took so and so out and it was $200 to eat and go shopping and a movie. I can't believe that their parents would allow it if they knew, but that is why she thinks guys are silly to put up with it. Sorry for the misunderstanding, scraps

OHH...very astute young lady. What a wonderful set of values you have instilled in her. I hope my remark didn't sound snide. I was sort of kidding which is why I started with a chuckle. I am so very impressed with your parenting Steph.
So, is your freezer filled with fish yet? Maybe you 2 got em all and that is why the biting has slowed down.
I love all of you here!!
Sheri

Here's a picture of the Bluebird babies with their eyes open today!!

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

No Birdie I did not take your remark as snide. You would have to do alot worse than that, I just did not explain well the first time. I am just glad that young guys are not yet knocking my door down like they did when my older daughter was in high school. They are different just like their dads not in a bad way just different. I am glad she is not as in to dating now. I think we are too immature to know what we want at that age and it gets us in trouble. I know it did me. I wanted to get away from my mom so bad I got married and I want them (my girls) to know they can make it on their own if they work and make a living themselves for a while and live some on your own before settling down. My oldest daughter worked and bought a home of her own and lived by herself a while so she knew she could survive without a man. Too often teens think their only choice in life is to get married or move in with a man. I am not a perfect parent by no means but I learned a lot when I graduated from the school of hard knocks. Scraps

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Hey all, Hope you don't mind if i come back. Hav'nt really been anywhere except lurking. When things get rough i get strength from reading your posts.

I was telling my depression therepist about you ladies going on with your life inspite of the large amount of pain you feel and the courage i get from your attiude to go on myself. My therapist suggested you might like to know about my respect for you.
Carrie, I would so much love to hear you sing in your choir.
Meet your DH and DD. Do you still have her car parked at your house and still have parking issues with the city?

Scraps, How i'd love to see your new house and meet your DH. My DH loved carpentry work too yet worked in at GE for years till he retired. He and i went camping and fishing for a good many years after he retired. I did'nt like to fish but i loved being in Natures garden. Loved and collected rocks of different kinds too as well as wild plants after i had studied them and knew where to replant them. We would spend a month or more camping out. Our girls did'nt understand it either. But as they got older they simply joined us and learned to love the outdoors also.

My oldest DD swears she had to move out as i had made a hobby room out of her bedroom. Not true but it did come soon after she moved out.

Carrie, Where does the pain hurt mostly? Is it all over? does it move around?

Scraps, The same question for you. I understand very well the fear you have. I have it too for both pain and depression. Also for being alone in pain and depresson.

plantimc,cathy and bb, i hear you too.
My pain is not anything like yours. If i do too much i simply cannot breathe. Of course kidney stones are painful but no kidneystones for several months.

When the pain of depression is so bad it'd be easier to die than live. How do you rate that pain? Would i trade depression pain for physical pain. I guess i see no difference.
Anyway, Thanks for letting me rant.
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi, Vickie, great to see you! Yes, we still have the extra car. DD#1 is due home from college any day now - it's "her" car.

My pain is mostly in my hips. I haven't been singing much recently - the choir did a big difficult piece for Palm Sunday. It wasn't that the piece was too hard for me to sing, but it required too many extra rehearsals and longer rehearsals and FOR ME, too long sitting up w/out lying down, too long w/out a bathroom break, etc.

Cathy, I think you're right. I still feel responsible to feed and clothe my kids, but in the manner to which I agree not, to which they desire! I want to make 'home' attractive enough that they won't run away to join the circus or live with biodad, but not so luxurious that they can take advantage of me or never want to spread their wings and move on! A delicate balance, to be sure.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey Vickie, glad to hear from you. I wish there was a way to rid the world of pain but then I guess we would not have anything to rant about.LOL. I usually hurt mostly in my lower back. I have bulging disc and arthritis in every joint of my spine.Along with fibro. I have recently started having knee pain alot from toting my big rear end around according to doctor.LOL. It all comes back to weight with the little jerk. He weighs about 110 soaking wet so what does he know anyway. Not to mention he looks about 20 years old but I had it on good authority that he was excellent Dr. So I hate to let him go only to get worse. He gives me pretty much what I need. Anyway, I hate that you are feeling pain and depression because I have been there and it is no fun. I have been so depressed I begged to die and my hubs put me in a mental hospital and had them take me off some of my meds and try me on new ones, he was convinced it was because I could not sleep and it turns out he was right. I was not getting but an hour or 2 a night of good deep sleep. You would not believe how much difference it made to get meds straightened out and on a new track. The Dr. Said a mouse in lab would die if not allowed to sleep for 5 days and nights and that is how long I went in the hospital before they got me on a strong enough dose and I had only been getting an hour for 2 weeks before that. He said our bodies heal themselves in our sleep and that is the most important thing fibro patients can do is get enough rest. If I get enough sleep I do ok but if you get me off my routine too much I get so stiff I can barely move around. As for trading physical pain for depression pain, No I would not want to trade at all, you can take a pain pill for the physical but some of the mental or depression we have to deal with I do not think we can get a real cure for that in a pill. Of course, the antianxiety meds help me but not cure what really bugs me most. I get furious when I really want to do something and I hurt so bad I have to keep stopping and sitting down or have to go lay down and take a break. When it is so easy for hubs to do it but he will not try. I get so mad about stuff like that. For instance, raking the yard would be an hour or so for him and it takes me days to get it all. He simply does not care if it gets raked. he would just leave it year round with pinestraw even if it killed the grass. He says that way there is not as much grass to cut. But I want it raked fairly often to look nice. It makes me so mad I could beat him up but he is too tough so I just drag me a chair around and do it regardless of how bad it hurts and I rant about how much I hurt. Sorry I got long winded and started ranting again. Have a good day scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pain causes depression which lessens your ability to cope with pain which makes you more depressed etc. It's a cycle.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

An awful cycle too,Carrie.

Hello everyone, I hope today is a good day for you all. I want to send each of you a gentle hug and some smiles. Since it is so hard to actually do that from miles apart I would like to start something that we can all pass around that would make each off us laugh like we are crazy for a few moments. I am trying to come up with a good idea. Something fun. Painless, Inexpensive, just to make you stop thinking about the pain you are in for a few minutes and then pass it on to someone else to do the same for them. I once got a doll from a friend made of a little fabric and she called it a dam%&#$$ doll. you simply took it and beat the stuffing out of it and ranted for a moment about whatever was bothering you and it was a cute idea. So help me come up with an idea of something that we could do that would be fun. If this makes no sense nor appeals to nobody then I will just rant and rave alone.LOL. Surely someone has an idea of something goofy and funny that we could do to laugh a while. Scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We could start one of those dumb game threads...

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Actually, a friend of mind with PPS and I once had a competition to see who had the most doctors and the most meds. (I won.)

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

I had to figure out what my meds would be a month without my prescription card since hubs is laid off. They would be over a thousand dollars a month so I am going to try to get a medicare part D or whatever. Anyway I still feel led to do something for the others on here who suffer with pain and depression like I have had for so long. It is really hard when you feel you cannot complain without upsetting your family and yet you need to let out your frustrations. Be back later.scraps

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.