Compassion for Gardeners with Pain - #4

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Carrie, So sorry you're not feeling well. you too scraps.
scraps, I'm so thankful they've got those ridem thingys. I never considered what anyone thought. I could'nt shop without one except brief excursions into Dollar General.
I lose my breath after walking a short way.
Needless to say i have a lot of fun on one. Have been challenged to race and do wheelies. You realize how slow they are.HA HA
One time at the local super market. I had one malfunction and it went right out the door taking the door with it.(Auto brakes did'nt work) It was a long time before i went back. That WAS embarressing.

It does'nt bother me to park in handicaped parking either. Hey i do what i can to carry on normally and i know i can't walk far at all.

What bothers me is going to a funeral or a hospital visit and worry about if i can walk far enough or how (The hospital) i can get a wheel chair. i will have to at some point get an electric thingy for home but not yet.
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey, those thingies are slo-o-o-o-ow and hurt my back, but not my hips, whereas my regular wheelchair hurts my hips and not my back. ???? So even I use them from time to time, and it would never occur to me that people were looking at me. But my regular chair is really fast!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Maybe i'd better look into getting one. Sounds like they could be fun.
Goodnite all Sleep well and dream of butterflys gently lifting you up into the fluffy clouds of sweet dreams.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey Ya'll, I need you to keep me in your prayers because I am trying so hard to help hubby paint and it is so hard on my muscles but we can't afford to pay a painter so I am trying to help. Love and prayers to each of you, Scraps

Huntersville, NC

Hello ALL
- Im new to this thread / forum (?) I do write a lot so i do not remember where each remark was made! LOL

I can really "relate to words in this thread."
Being the child the drs said Mom would never have
- 3yrs later her i came (Guess I refused to READ the memo!)

Spent 10 years in early 20's wholly non-productive with an undiagnosed issue.
But once it got diagnosed I took off!
Became a work-a-holic in NewYorkCity.
(probably trying to make up. LOL)

Retired now. Had a bad car crash causing back/nerve damage. Did the surgery and now on tot he injections
- but at least I CAN stand and walk most of the time
and recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia,
I just force myself to try to do whatever i can actually do.

Recently did a BOW weekend:
http://www.uwsp.edu/CNR/bow/
I did the NC: May1st thru the 3rd
while I had to miss the Sat afternoon activities
(just too exhausted)
- I felt and functioned so much better AFTER that outing.
Even my physical therapists noticed the improvement.

So I write with you today so share life's curved balls (illness) and the sunshine too!

the real beauty is there IS a DG where we can lament
- click around & see what beautiful things are growing even if we are not able to actually do any growing ourselves.

DG permits me to enjoy the landscape arrangement, plants, flowers and birds - others share: the Sunshine!

Scraps: Divide and Conquer!
Do one wall - one day.
the other wall the next day, and so forth.
Do warm / hot soaks help?? They help revive me & I feel better the day After.
That sore achy feeling is just Miserable.

You two may be finished painting by now
- but there will be other projects.
btw - after all that PAINTING
- Me'thinks I've built up a Sweat, Sore Muscles and an Appetite too just thinking about Actual Painting. ROTFLOL!
** What color Did you two paint what??
(Ok, So I'm nosey!)

My hon looks so bewildered when folding several pieces of laundry totally tires me. That means if feeling weak, only do 5 to 10 small pieces - undies or sock.
Yep Divide and Conquer in Action! LOL!!

well enough of my chatter.

may sound strange, but
- it IS comforting knowing Others feel what I also feel.

Next entry will be on Wheel Chairs!
. . .if I can remember . . . ha ha HA.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, wheelchairs...

mulege, Mexico

This reminds me that since my washing machine has been on the blink, I've been getting my laundry "done" at the laundromat in town.

This laundromat has been written up in guidebooks to Bja California Mexico - it is that well-run. Clean and neat, usually quiet and run by two of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.

They recently did a months' worth of laundry for me and my five dogs (hard to tell which was which!) and it cost less than $50. The woman was kind of apologetic and wanted to explain the cost in detail. I hugged her and told her it was worth every peso to me.

I get my laundry washed, dried, FOLDED and sorted. AND I get a big hug from her and her husband carries the bagged laundry to my car for me.

I don't think anyone who doesn't have hand problems can appreciate how wonderful this service is. I can save my hands for gardening and other chores.

Thanks for reminding me what a pain in the neck (or hands) folding laundry is.

Doing dishes, sweeping, feeding the dogs - no wonder I have so much trouble getting the "big stuff" done.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

katiebear

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That sounds wonderful, Katie!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thinking of you today, scraps. My whole house needs painted inside and out...

Welcome, 50glee! Divide and conquer is good advice. Like my best friend, "just do a little bit at a time".

Today we are having another beautiful day. I'm so frustrated because Monday I decided I just had to wash the living room floor AND dig out an overgrown flowerbed. It was about an hour for each one and I did them very slow. But it got me all flared up...argh. I am trying to keep my mind occupied until my body comes back down the pain scale a bit. Being in pain is bad, but being resentful, frightened and irritable on top of it makes it worse. *sigh* I'm trying to do better with that kind of stuff.

I've got so much to plant still ...seeds and starts. And that stupid grassy flowerbed just sits in my front yard growing sod. I've asked one of my sons for help, so hopefully he will show up in the next few days. I'm trying to learn to ask.

Guess I'll take a cool drink out on the porch and try to get my head space more positive. Glad you all are here cause I needed to vent!!!

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Wow I am absolutely thrilled to hear all of you complain about pain.LOL. I know that sounds funny to some people but I grunt and moan with every move I make today. I hate that you guys are in pain but I am so very happy to have someone(all of you) to complain with. People who understand and really know what I mean when I say I ache all over after painting from a stool all day. I appreciate the words of wisdom too. I will be soaking in hot bath tonight when I can rest enough that I feel I will be able to get out of the tub. Right now I am so tired that I could not get in and out. It has rained so much here lately that I have not been able to cut grass but we had sunshine for 2 days now and so maybe I can do that tomorrow. It is bad when a person would rather cut grass than paint but it is easier on my back and shoulders. I normally do not have much shoulder pain but after painting yesterday they were sore today from the start. So they are really sore now. I am trying to hide from hubs how bad I am hurting because I want to move in new house so badly. If he gets a job then work will come to a stop and be weekends only for another 6 months to a year. We poured concrete slab on July 3rd last year and so I desperately want to get finished and move in. I am so glad to have you guys or gals to vent with so I do not have to say much to him. I just let off some steam here to keep from blowing my top. Gotta run for now be back later. scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Poo-oo-oo-or scraps! Ouch!!!!! I am not that patient, unless I have no choice.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Sorry but I had forgot and left my cell phone at new house and had to run get it. My in laws were calling on house phone and I did not want to cut internet off because we are on dialup and so I rushed up there and got cell so he could call them back. The main reason I came back was I had not taken time to welcome everyone new to the forum/thread. Cando1, 50glee,katiebear,plantimcplanter, I welcome you to our thread and hope that someday we will all have cures for what ails us all. I hate we are all in pain but together we can share it. Must absolutely go this time. Hubs cooked some squash and I put on cornbread so that is what tired people are having for supper tonight. Love ya,scraps

mulege, Mexico

When I'm so sore I can't do anything but lie in bed and groan, I remember the following:

It has been well and truly said
If life was fair - we'd all be dead!

hugs,
katie

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I'd pay $50 to get a month's worth of laundry done, too. Welcome 50glee! Glad you could vent, PlantiM, it beats kicking the dog. Gentle hugs all around. C4

mulege, Mexico

Don't forget - I also get a hug!!

kb

everyone gets a gentle hug katiebear :)

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Wow I never get a hug when I do someones laundry. I would pay the $50 just for the hug today.LOL. Much less for the months laundry. Maybe I should start charging hugs for laundry. scraps

A really nice young man at church came up to me one day when he hadn't seem me for awhile and gave me a big old bear hug. I yelled and almost passed out from the pain, and it took weeks to convince him I was okay. Poor kid won't hug anyone now. So gentle hugs it is for everyone. I crave hugs, I get so stinking lonely, I feel a pity party coming up...sniff.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, gentle hugs for YOU Cathy. Gentle hugs all around. Nobody knows how to hug someone in a WC.

Tell us how Carrie, I try to come in from the side with an arm around my friend's back do I don't stick my chest in her face and smother her.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That sounds good, Cathy. The point is to TOUCH us, most people are so spooked by the chair that they don't touch me at all.

I guess my family has been around WC so long that they just seem normal to all of us. We met Haley when she was about 4, she's 24 now. Her mom (one of my best friends) had extra chairs and all the kids had wheelchair races, etc. Once my daughters was all strapped in, rolled down the driveway and flipped upside down in the street. She wasn't hurt, and we still laugh about her hanging upside down with just her long braid showing, wheels spinning, mom's running to make sure no cars came. Maybe you had to be there, but this was my dingy daughter and it was another one of her nutty days.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, sounds like fun! I can imagine!!! It sure isn't like that around here.

There were nasty rumors when MY kids were in kindergarten - imagine, that young - that I used a chair because I was too fat to walk. Btw I was 119 lbs then. Not exactly too fat to walk. So I started disability awareness with the kindergarten classes, all three sections, not just the one with my kid in it. Three years later, next DD, same routine (except the kids who were siblings of the other kids).

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Speaking of wheelchairs I always thought things would be easier from a chair but now that I have to do alot of things from a sitting position I know it is hard to do some things from a chair. Folding sheets for one, painting , sweeping etc. For anyone who is thinking it would be easier in a chair they have not tried it. When I had to use a wheelchair for a while It hurt my arms so bad trying to roll myself in the thing. I am glad they have motorized for people who need them now. I am trying to avoid one now. When I see my back is getting severe now I get an epidural is the only way I can survive without a wheelchair. Have to go for now be back later. Have a good evening everyone. Scraps

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I don't have dial up but I think this thread would be too long if I did. I'm going to try and start another okay?

I think I did it...here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/995574/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.