Compassion for Gardeners with Pain - #4

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey Ya'll, I had a good day too. Hubs would not let me help him plane lumber so I planted more flowers. I got some early Mother's day presents from him and my youngest daughter and it was beautiful flowers to plant and watch grow. Yea! Nothing fancy but very beautiful. I got 2 six packs of red " saliva"( that is what they called salvia). A nice light yellow zinnia, a yellow dalhia, and some osteospermum which I have never heard of but it looks like a delicate daisy with purple center. The spelling may not be correct because I did not look it up and I have already took my sleep meds. I love Mother's day flowers that keep on blooming and not just die in a week. I love my flowers. I would have loved them if they had been weeds because they wanted me to be happy and they said I love you. However, they did a good job of making Mom happy today and the girls are cooking tomorrow for me. Tonight I am grateful for two lovely girls and a sweet hubby and flowers that brighten ones day. I would like to wish you all a very nice day tomorrow. God Bless and Goodnight, Scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

How old are your girls, scraps? I think there's an article on osteopspermum somewhere - brb....

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1099/

Isn't that great when you get live flowers instead of dead ones?

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Carrie, my girls are 28 and 18. I would not have anymore kids with first husband but when I remarried he did not have any so I had one more but was very sick with toxemia or I would have had even more. He is such a good person and great dad. So very different from husband #1 and #2 ( I married him twice trying to make it work and finally gave up and moved on and I am so glad I did. Both girls are so special in their own ways. One is Blessed with a brilliant mind (28) and the other with the gift of music(18) her mind is fine but music is her gift. Today I was lucky enough to have them both with me and with the baby going off to college you never know where she will wind up living someday. But the day started off all wrong and got worse before it was over. My husband knew they were planning on getting together and cooking lunch for us and yet he did not ask before he got up and fried porkchops for breakfast very early this morning and it was the meat they were going to grill. Luckily the oldest had to come from town and went by and bought more. However, no sooner did they get in kitchen the oldest snapped at the youngest and she never said another word but left the kitchen and proceeded to pout. Pouted all day long. would not say a word to anybody just mumble a word or two. It was awful trying to be cheerful with this grown teen pouting. Lunch was rather strained with little conversation because everybody was walking on eggshells. I ask what was wrong and she would say nothing until her sister left and then the flood began. She started crying and saying how mad she made her because she ask what she could do to help and she said "nothing" So mother's day was awkward all day over the word "Nothing." Only a person with a sibling could understand that one single word could cause such anger. My brothers and I would just knock the fire out of each other and go on with our day No pouting needed. I had no sister so I did not have to deal with the sharing of clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc. Nor compete for the affection of a parent for the boys knew dad was mine and mom was theirs and that they would get their noses busted if they sat by my dad. These girls fight over us both. they fight over cooking for us apparently. Sometimes,I wonder what next. SO..... How was your day? I did not mean to go on so long, sorry, Just venting. Have a good night, Scraps

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh My!! Well....My 2 cats and 1 poodle purred (the cats ^_^) & cuddled me all day and I watched baseball and movies on TV after church, & talked a few times o phone with my mom.
So sorry your day was strained Scrapps. Aren't you glad it isn't a daily thing though!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh...... scraps. I'm sorry you had a bad day. Where is #2 going to college? So they are 10 years apart? LOL, I've been married three times too! The third time was absolutely the charm!!!! But I agree, kids nowadays can pout better than we ever could. Does your older daughter get along with her step-father? Did you get breakfast in bed at least? (I did. But I get that every day!)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1299/

An article about mother's day 2007 -- I think it ran Mother's Day last year, I don't remember.

Hmm...Carrie- nothing is happening with that link (maybe my puter??)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Doesn't work for me either! brb.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1299/
try that. (wonder what happened?)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Now they're BOTH working! Maybe it was Dave .... hee hee.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

hi ladies, It was just a normal day in motherhood. I was hoping for a perfect day but it was still a blessing to have them both here with me. I was just venting last night I did not mean to be so negative about it.
Carrie, I did not get breakfast in bed but hubby did cook those porkchops and some bicuits which were good, it just made the girls mad to start the day off having to go back and buy more meat to cook. They did cook lunch or J did anyway while A pouted. A is going to a nearby community college a county away from us. Her dad would not let her go very far off anyway. J the eldest absolutely loves her stepfather, he is a big old teddy bear and it is hard not to love him. She has recently started talking more with her real dad but he is very moody and so is she so they have unpleasant days where they do not get along very well. They are alot alike and they clash sometimes.Just as I got remarried a TV show came out called " MY 2 Dads" It really help her see that having 2 dads was a good thing that each one brings different things to her life. She bragged to her friends all the time about having 2 dads. A little cute one and a big handsome one, One who spoiled her and one who protected her. She really learned alot about morals and being good and honest from her stepdad that she really respects now. There were a few years when her real Dad did not spend alot of time with her but when she needed him most he was there. A young punk took advantage of her once and both dads got in one pickup and went to find him and little dad chased him and Big dad was waiting when they stopped and they set him straight without hitting him. Just give him a very stern talk but her stepdad is very intimidating in size and that is all that was needed to keep the punk away from her. Just a show of support. She absolutely loved that episode. She died laughing when they said that he ran when he saw them together. So when push comes to shove she has a great backup system. I believe they would get together and do they same for my youngest if need be. Well, I must get my day going and get dressed and cut grass. Have a good day ladies and gents too if any are here, Scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Boy, my girls' two dads would NEVER team up like that! Not in a million years! Amazing! It's always been tension between them... well, between me and their father, between the poor kids and their father, he is a tension convention.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

I like that saying Carrie, My X and I do not get along well at all he is still mad at me for not taking him back after his last sowing of the oats. But he and my current hubs got along great after the first run in. He came here the first time to pick her up and saw the TV that he had bought me for mothers day when my eldest was 2 years old and he threw a hissy fit so my hubs went to see him and took the TV and said," where do you want it" and toted it in by himself( it was a big old thing in the old type wooden case) and set it down exactly where he wanted it. He ask," Is there anything else you want now is your last chance and then I never want to hear about it again. You are never to yell at my wife or your daughter again or we will have to go at it." Life was so good after that. Little dad did not want to go at it with Big dad.LOL. Scraps

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

carrie, Thanks for the link to the article on the osteospermum. I really appreciate it and the mothers day article too.

Oh, I love the "Big Dad Little Dad" stories!! More..more...huh, huh, huh?
I needed a goood laugh today and the pic of the boyfriend running and little dad getting that lecture. You have a good man, Scraps! Hold on tight (& tickle once n a while)!

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Carrie, we have not seen the little fart, I mean, dad lately so no other stories that I can think of now but I am sure that when she has kids of her own there will be times when we must be together and there will be stories to tell. the last two or three times we have seen him was her high school graduation and he helped us move her to college and back after she finished and when she bought a house but we were moving so no real conversation.

It was me that asked for more stories......glad you are not bothered and sorry Jess has to try to have a strained relationship with a hardhead, but such is life...sometimes.

But, Thanks for the chuckles!!

Sheri

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Sorry Sheri did not look at the name. It has been sprinkling rain all day here so I could not get out much but the sun has come out so I am going to ride my golf cart up to the new house and check the progress of the sheetrock and maybe plant the flowers that Jess got me( some yellow celosia) They got flowers for areas with sun and I do not have alot but they will help fill up the area that I had started around some stumps. Will check back later. Oh and would you believe that you named him very well his old name he used on the CB radio was hardhead. His buddies called him that alot. LOL.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sorry, been offline.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey did you guys see the article today on the crown imperial, that is a really beautiful flower. I got started looking at the plants and stories on his blog and really enjoyed it. I love technology I just wish I was smart enough to really take advantage of it all. I am sure I can only do a portion of what is capable on this computer and now that I have fibro I cannot remember well enough to justify taking a class to learn more because it seems to go in one ear and out the other and I cannot concentrate anymore either. I also followed a link that was really neat in the beginner landscape forum about architectural plants that had some really cool plants. Now I need one of all of them. I need to win the lottery or something so I can buy plants. I would have sent you all one of those crown imperials if I had the money. Do any of you get that excited over these cool plants you see on here or do I have some crazy mental problem called flower envy or something. scraps

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

This is the link to the guys blog where you can see the pictures I mentioned of the architectural plants or something like that,but I am not sure how to copy it maybe carrie can help but it was interesting and I thought you might enjoy it. If you already have I am sorry .

http://plantwerkz.blogspot.com/

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

If you've gone mental over flower envy then I'm right behind you!! I've got so many beds to clean out before I can plant all these seedlings I've started...and I am still checking the DG marketplace because I want more! LOL! I think it's a way to distract from the pain...at least that's the excuse I'm using now. :)

Scraps, thanks for keeping this thread going. I'm a bit of a lurker but it always makes me feel better when I can come to this forum and read.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

No, scraps, there's flower envy and zone envy and bulb envy and water feature envy AND energy envy and .... isn't envy a sin?

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everybody, I am glad to hear that others feel that way too. I seem to always have flowers on the brain. When I am going down the road I am looking around at flowers and I dream of flowers and today I went fishing and looked for flowers going down the river. All I found was blue eyed grass and wisteria. There was a tree I liked and did not know the ID of but could not reach a leaf to bring home. But I brought home a cooler of nice catfish and would you believe my hubs give them to his mother. I was hurting and came home and he went to clean them and came back without them. I acted like I was going to cook them and now I do not have anything to cook thawed out, just to harrass him a little, and he said," Honey if you want fish I will just cook what I caught yesterday" . I was hoping he would say he would just take me out to eat but it did not work but at least he likes cooking fish. So I am off the hook anyway, Mission accomplished,Hahaha. He has ask me to go fishing twice lately and I told him I might make it a habit. My reason being that while I am fishing I do not have to do housework. He gets by without it so I am going to try it. LOL. I was going to tell you guys about a wildflower I found and decided to look up On Greenweb.com I think it was, and it is Heal All and it has medicinal attributes or whatever. It mentioned that there had been progress in research toward aids and diabetes. I thought that was interesting. Maybe my little wildflower will turn out to be miracle cure. The indians used it and they seem to know more about medicine than todays doctors anyway. Well, I need to go for now and eat supper.Be Back later, Scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I am so impressed that you eat fish so much, Scraps, my husband wouldn't dream of eating fish!! Maybe if I made a big deal out of how much trouble I had gone to he might have a few bites but he would not fill up on it. And CERTAINLY not if I had caught it myself!!!!

Oh Steph, your days of fishing sound soooo wonderful. I love BlueEyed grass and have lots in my yard. the HeaL aLL IS SOMETHING THAT i HAD AT A HOUSE YEARS AGO. wHEN i MOVED , HOWEVER,i COULD NOT FIND IT TO DIG AND TAKE WITH SOOO....oops...please forgive the caps. my fingers are sore & I cannot type this again
Love to you all, Sheri

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Carrie, would you be less impressed if I said it was fried. That is the only way he cooks it. We eat salmon occasionally and we do not fry it unless we do salmon patties( crocettes) we fry those with onion in it. But southerners love fried catfish with french fries and hush puppies. We are all overweight too. But they are free and fun to catch so why not? I do not eat it more than twice a month normally but since I went fishing I wanted to eat some. It only seemed right that I had survived the heat and the pain of sitting without back support for four hours.

Birdie, I am sorry your fingers are sore today. Have you been weeding so much that your hands are sore? Do you think the Heal all could survive being mailed and I will send you some when I get time to dig some up. With my hubs off work and around I think he intends to keep me busy. He did let me sleep late today though. I managed to sleep until about 10:30 or so but I stayed awake until about 1am last night. My brother called or I would have been asleep when mike came in for lunch. He had already been to town to get a few more sheets of sheetrock for the workers and went to his brothernlaws to get him to look at insurance papers about the cobra plan or something. So he has been a busy bee today. Can you believe I forgot my camera again today? I wish I had a brain. I think I had one once maybe not a brilliant one but at least a memory. Love and prayers, steph

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I would not be less impressed. I would eat whatever anybody cooked, but DH would a) not be able to bait a fish hook (gross)
b) not be able to eat something that he once saw alive (inhumane, or maybe that's gross too)
c) would not be willing to eat ANYTHING that was once living in the water around here (that's disgusting)
d) would NEVER be able to CLEAN fish from being a live dirty fish to a clean, gut-free fillet
e) would ONLY consider eating fish if it's fried!!!

I'm sad, Sheri-Bird, that your fingers are sore. Today I get to take DD#2 for her fourth MD appointment in two weeks - asthma that we just can't get on top of! She's taking prednisone, antibiotics, nose spray, a few other Rxs - it's absurd.

I'm better today as far as the physical pain goes My lethargy and depression are really weighting me downlike a lead balloon.
Thank you all for thinking of me. Your prayers and cares mean so much.
I hope your daughter gets better. Spring is really difficult for people wih asthma and allergies/

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I hope you are all having a good day. I have been fishing with the hubs again. We caught alot of fish today. I thought we did good yesterday to have 20 or so but Today when we first got there he could not bait the hooks fast enough. I can do it but I hate to get all yucky handling the worms so he does it for me. Everytime he would get me one baited and thrown out I would have to reel in another one. We laughed and had so much fun and I focused on something other than my backache for an hour or more when they finally slacked up. I may have to quit gardening and become a fisherwoman.LOL. His boat is old and the seat does not have a back support just a flat seat so I was hurting from the start but I managed to have a great time. I sat down on the floor of the boat some so I could rest my back against the seat. I was having too much fun to come home over a backache. I hurt regardless so why not fish while he is off work. I hope my DD bought me some sunscreen. I have been out and I am blistered but I do not think it is too bad. The river is up alot because of all the rain and I suppose that is why they bit so well today. I have never been fishing with anyone when they caught so many not even my dad and he loved fishing too. My grass needs cutting but I had so much fun that if I can move tomorrow I may go back. I am scared the muscle stiffness will be worse tomorrow. We stayed down there about 5 hours. I am so tired now but we will have to go to work on the house when sheetrock is finished. Then when we move he will definitely have to go back to work. My oldest daughter called and heard the boat motor and said, "Are you fishing again mom?" I told her I was and she said she was so worried about him being out of work and we were out playing like we were on a second honeymoon or something. I told her that as much fun as I was having that there were limits to what I would or could do in a boat. That the honeymoon would have to be when we move in new house. My youngest ask if we were going to come home tonight. I guess they are shocked because we have not had time in so long to fish or do anything together because he was working 12 hours 6 days a week and building a house for us and helping on his parents house too. Sorry this is getting long I had better stop yapping and go shower off the fishy smell. Love and prayers, scraps

Oh what a tremendous blessing. Isn't it funny or strange or nutty or something how something as awful as losing his job could at the same time provide extra house finishing time pLUS extra very special bonding and fun time for you and your Hubby?!! PLUS free food!! WOW!!
I think you are so blessed and I know you 2 have worked and scrimped hard and long to be where you are. It is so wonderful that you are able to have a day full of beauty , fun and laughter together.
I hope you are not unable to move tomorrow and not blistered. If you are, you may have to put off the "honeymoon" part a few days more (hehehe).
Girlfriend...staart putting that camera in your pocket or backpack or whatever you take with you all the time!! I really want to start seeing some of these cool pictures. Heck, you will soon be working on that house and maybe not fishing and seeing all of these beautiful wildflowers again for a long time. Please get some pics.
I love you friend!!
Sheri

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Oh Sheri my memory is so bad I would forget my head if it were not attached. But I will try to remember to get it (camera)off charger. And yes I am Blessed to have a wonderful family and to have spent this time with hubs. I think we deserve it because like you said we have saved for years to be where we are on the house. It may not get furnished very well to start with but we will eventually get back on our feet again. Until then we will survive, at least we will not go hungry because hubs is a country boy who can live off the land like our ancestors did. Goodnight, scraps

This message was edited May 13, 2009 10:19 PM
Edited for spelling

This message was edited May 13, 2009 10:21 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think it's WONDERFUL that you two are having such a good time together. Ahhhh ... love. Old love is best, too, I think. My DH was laid off or maybe fired I can't quite remember which about 11 -12 years ago, before we were even married. He hated the job, but still, it was his job, he was proud of it, it was his identity. It ended up being such a relief not to have it any more!!! G'night.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Carrie, he is such an outdoor type that he hates to be inside alot. He had one job in a warehouse once and thought he would just die from being stuck indoors all the time. He really enjoys being a carpenter but housing and building has just about stopped lately. He got a letter from the unemployment office saying they would train him to do another job. I have always said that nurses and caretakers for the elderly and disabled could really use his strength and size when needing to turn or lift patients. So I have been telling him he needs to do something like that. But of course, that is an indoor thing. I also joked with him and said he would be good as a massage therapist because of his big strong hands but he said that would never work because his hands are so rough.LOL. If it were not for the fibro we could drive a big truck together and travel. I have a commercial drivers license already from driving a school bus. It would not take much more to get big truck license. But he does not get as big of a thrill out of traveling as I do. But I could not stand to ride all the time anyway. So we need to find him a fun new career. He is getting too old to work so hard. Our anniversary is june 9 it will be our 20th. I would love to be in the new house by then so we are going to have to really get a move on as soon as the sheetrock guy finishes. He may get through tomorrow. he was only there a short time today so he must have another job going at the same time. They had to let the mud stuff dry or something and hopefully they can get finished. So we really had to take advantage of our time together. Now I am going to bed for sure. Scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I got no good ideas for you honey!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Hey everyone,

Hope you don't mind if I spill my guts for a minute. Last winter I made the decision (with my dr.) to go off tramadol. It was a good pain drug for me at first but I've been taking 6 a day with lots of breakthrough pain. Plus, it made my brain fog really bad. Anyway, I started going off a pill a week and now I am completely off. Yea! My thinking has cleared a lot and my energy level has been much better. This is a good choice for me at this time. I still have hydrocodone as a back-up...I'm not a purist or anything. I just wanted to be able to think again.

For the last two days I've been overdoing it...tuesdays I babysit my grandniece (3 yo) which is usually enough. But yesterday was hubby's birthday so there was much shopping, dinner, etc. It ended up just being us and the kids so it was a great night. So today is my pay back day. I'm hurting a LOT today. But I'm dealing with it better, I think. The worst for me is when I get scared, you know, how much more pain will there be? When will this stop? What happens if I can't stand it? and so forth. I've spent the last few years running from the pain. It feels kinda empowering to say it's okay if I hurt today, I just have to take special care of myself. I can take care of everyone else, right? Why is it so hard to cut myself some slack?

So no planting today, no potting up, no digging up sod. It's me and my recliner with some dvds and books, heating pad and warm bath. And my favorite tea. Still I wanted to tell someone other than my husband that this sh** hurts! You know what I mean?????

Thanks for letting me vent to folks that know.
Jacki

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh Jacki, I hear you on the tramadol! DH has chronic back pain from breaking his back at work years ago and me from MS - we both take 50 mg 3 x a day. I hate to think what it would be like without it. What dose were you taking 6 of?

That's a great detox plan - DH tends to do things "cold turkey" and then, whatever it is, caffeine, sugar, you name it, he gets terrible withdrawal symptoms. He finds that tramadol keeps him awake. (I'm not sure what is keeping me awake!!) Also, if he accidentally takes 2, he says all kinds of weird stuff - loquacious.

I'm sorry about all the things you couldn't do today. Bummer. What kind is your favorite tea? Sounds so cozy with the recliner and the heating pad - today is cold and achey up here. Pain S T I N K S!

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

jacki, I hate that you are in such pain and I do understand the need to vent. That is why I wanted this link with others who like to garden or plant a few flowers but have a difficult time afterwards. It is so frustrating to me that I can not do anything without suffering later. Today I rested so I could go to my DD last high school concert and I am so glad I did. She won an award that the band director said was a very prestigious award. She has been in band for 8 years and had a different band director every year that she has been in band. I have missed alot of her ballgames because of pain so I am so glad I made it tonight. I have tried so hard over the years to avoid pain meds that were very strong because my dad was an alcoholic and one of my brothers is and my mom took too many prescription pain meds and had a stroke. I am not a purist but I am scared because I know how bad I hurt and I am scared I would need more and more until I could not do without them. I can see how easy it would be to get addicted and it runs in the family. With my husband layed off work I do not know how I will buy the meds I take now. I called the drugstore and ask what they would be without my drug card and it would be over a thousand dollars a month. So I will have to change to the $4 prescriptions if I can. We have enough to deal with being in pain all the time without the stress of doctor bills and worry over paying for meds. I hope you have a good night with much needed rest and relief. Goodnight, scraps

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thank you, carrielamont :) Yes, mine were 50 mg too so 6 a day was 300 total. Plus the other medications I am on for fibro including hydrocodone and flexeril. I couldn't take the tramadol after 5 pm or it would keep me awake, too! One of the things about fibromyalgia for a lot of people is that medications stop working. I don't think the tramadol has done much for my pain in quite a while. I am on my way to bed right now so I got through the day...with only 1.5 hydrocodones. I can live with that! I drank a lot of orange spice and chamomile tea today...watched a movie, read a book and watched tv. I also went for a slow walk outside at dusk. It was so beautiful! Spring is really here and it smells so green outside. Puttered around the house a little, too. I'll bet I feel better tomorrow :)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Oh scraps...we were writing at the same time! LOL! Thank you for your kind words. I wish they would hurry up and get some universal health care in this country so we didn't always have to worry about losing our coverage. I will be thinking of you in this tough time if you have to pay for your own meds especially. You've got to keep fishing though...I love to read about your fishing trips :)

Good night to all...

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dang, I wrote a long post about health insurance - all gone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.