USA-west of the Mississippi River
(218 votes, 34%)
Red dot

Other. Tell us where!
(10 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8a)

I live in Lufkin, TX...just down the road from Dave's. Love east Texas...wouldn't want to be anywhere else, but maybe Hawaii !!!!!

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Carol, I do not laugh at you, but our climate is much colder. We had snow this year from middle november until today, just having 3 short breaks without snow. Temperatures during day are now about 40 and during night in the high 20.
Expecting 50 half next week, but night temperatures will stay the same.
You can grow plants I can't, and I can grow plants you can't.
Jonna

Thumbnail by JonnaSudenius
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

ezgroonly, I find it hard to believe that anyone could swim across the Mississippi River near St. Louis & live to talk about it because the undertow is so strong. It's much safer to cross via one of the two pedestrian/bike trail bridges. Chouteau Island (man made) was recently annexed by the city of Madison, IL. The Chain of Rocks Canal forms the eastern shoreline. I grew up next to the levee which was completed 2 years before I was born. The Chain of Rocks Bridge (owned by Madison, IL since 1939) provides a panoramic view of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers confluence on the NW side. For many years, farms existed on this island, but no one moved back after the flood of 1993; even though the land is still farmed. Now it's a favorite place for Eagle watching off the Old Chain of Rocks bridge; part of the Lewis & Clark bike trail & the old historic Route 66. My grand-daughter at 3 years old rode her tricycle the entire length of the bridge across & back. Here's the facts & note the photo of the bridge (quite a swim & trike ride at this location):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_of_Rocks_Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chouteau_Island

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 6:32 PM

Clinton, IA

Hey AlohaHoya! Can I come over to your house for a while? :) I would love to be in Hawaii about now. I live in eastern Iowa and I have been listening to the the sleet, snow, rain, pound on my windows now for about 2 hours! Weatherman said we may get anywhere between 4-7" of snow! Ick! Oh well, thats Iowa for ya. This is a good day to catch up on my gardening books!

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Carmel, IN is just north of Indianapolis (it's pronounced carmel, like the candy, rather than carMEL, as in the California city). I was born and raised in Chicago, though, and still consider that to be my home. Indianapolis is a fairly moderate climate, although it always amazes me we can have such humid summers when we are nowhere near a large body of water :( Our land is very flat, and full of clay.... makes for some challenging growing conditions

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

usa west

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Indianapolis, IN. Luckily in a part of the city that has really nice soil, no clay. (Sorry about your dirt, mom2goldens-I'm familiar with it)

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

I come from China (Zhongguo, 中国), and the place I live in is a vast plain in the center part. Being a lover of gadening as well as a teacher of the English language as a foreign language, I found Dave's Gaden as early as in the year of 2001. Since then I see DG as part of my life by learning both English and gardening. And moreover, I have made a lot of friends in here. In a word, DG is unique. Latest Picture: Plum blossoms in my yarden.

Thumbnail by Jianhua
szarvas, Hungary

Jo An ..... we are living in a stupid world !

I want to go back in Africa ( Democratic Congo ), because i want to hear again the SILENCE ! and I want a banana tree in my garden .

I'm fed up of this hen house

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Central Finland.

Fresno, CA(Zone 10b)

Just a few miles down the road from Linda...Hayward, Calif....Northern Calif. bay area...fantastic weather...what a great place we have here....able to share with folks from all over the world...I'm so glad I found this site!

Thumbnail by corgilover51
Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Oakland, Oregon. About half way between California border and Portland, and about 75 miles from the Pacific Ocean. We get all the weathers others get - just not quite as extreme. Dotti

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Jianhua, thank you for the lovely photo of your plum blossoms. I've read some of your posts here and enjoyed them so much.......

Hey, dany12, wow, I sure know that feeling. So many things in chaos and noise and the garden can be so peaceful. I wish that for us all, that peacefulness. I hope your wish comes true for you.

Kyla

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Well, if you live in the Twin Cities (Minnesota, USA), it will depend on which city you live in - Minneapolis or St. Paul. If Minneapolis, then West of the Mississippi and if in St. Paul, then East of the Mississippi. (:o)

I'm in Mpls, so I chose West.
Mike

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

USA--West Coast.
Jianhua---Your plum blossom picture is beautiful. Thank you for posting it.
Beebonnet

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

West, In the Alien Capital of the world or thats what our city council say's Roswell, New Mexico, the land of bad soil and bad water, high winds and hot temps. Love the pictures. Susan

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Jianhua, beautiful picture! Our garden club had a flower show on Saturday and one of the categories was to exhibit a single forced branch. Several members tried cherry blossoms, but they did not open in time for the show. Neither did our chaenomeles, or quince. There was a lot of forsythia and a single pussy willow. I won a blue ribbon for my Cornus mas, or a yellow dogwood cousin. If you could have entered your branch, you would have won a blue ribbon for first place!

Also, I thought the Hawaii volcanoes picture was great! My cousin in Alaska is getting ashed on by Mt. Redoubt.
Martha

Jacksonville, FL

Southeast USA - Jacksonville, Florida where it is a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

That forsythias are in their yellow blooms is a sign of spring right on the way. Here is a picture of the forsythia taken in my school garden.
And when the Chinese Pure Brightness, one of the 24 solar periods, falling on April 4 this year, we will get ready for this year's ground seed sowing, for from this time on there will no more frost, and the ground temperatures will stay constantly warm.
This year I take in two more kid plants: one is the sensitive plant mimosa which I get from my fellow teacher Mr Wang, and the other is lamb's ears. This is sent to me as a gift from DG WantabeGardener. By doing so, I expect more kids in the vancity will come and call at my yarden, thus bringing more happy atmosphere to my yarden.

Thumbnail by Jianhua
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, breathtaking forsythia!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I've got a question:

For these votes:

Asia. Tell us where!
(6 votes, 0%)

Africa. What country?
(4 votes, 0%)

Why are they indicating "0%" if they have 6 and 4 votes, respectively?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Maybe because they are out of sinc with greenwich/zulu mean time? Seriously GREAT question. I never noticed that!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, just noticed, these, too!

United Kingdom
(3 votes, 0%)

Mexico or South America
(5 votes, 0%)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

My guess is, it's a statistical quirk -- whatever statistical tool is being used to tally number of votes = percentage of votes probably does not even register, say, fewer than 10? Because that is less than 1% of the total!

So, for 3 votes, it would have to be showing some fraction of 1%. If 100 percent = 642 votes, 6.42 votes is one percent. So 3 is less than .5%.

Asia, the winner in the mini-percentage category, with 6 votes, is still less than 1%, though it's getting close. One more vote for Asia would put it into the visible measure, past the fractions of the first percentile (if I am using that term right, been a long time).

So basically, it is rounding off and not giving fractions of one percent.

;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Can we cheat and pump up the votes for these countries? I feel bad that these votes didn't register as a percentage :(

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

ROTFL!!!!! Only you would think of that, Dahlia. We could test it out, Asia only needs four more votes to become 1%......

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is my 8-Digit zip code and my latitude/longitude.

32952-2625........... 28.351765/ -80.667574

Using Google Earth, Google Street View etc., it's easy for you to see where I am. Zooming in or out will allow you to see my house and yard, my neighborhood, distance from the ocean, how far I am from Disneyworld, Orlando, the Indian River Lagoon or the Kennedy Space Center etc, etc.

I'd like to see where other Forum Posters actually are located in Florida, California, India, Brazil, Australia, Costa Rica, Hawai'i, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Spain, etc. and what your neighborhood/area looks like.

Questions like these would be easily answered: "Mmmm...Merritt Island..is that on the west coast of Florida or the east?....Is Brisbane in the tropics?..is Cairns?...is he in inland Brazil or coastal?...Where is Northumberland, how about Sri Lanka?, near Madagascar?"...How far does tropicbreeze live from Humpty Doo?

Of course, for those of you who are in the Federal Witness Protection Program, or on the lam, or for those who don't want us to see what you are growing other than palms and tropicals-you might not want to provide this location info.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I noticed that after doing a li'l figuring...(rounding off)...but it shouldn't be doing so, IMHO.
(At least the # of votes shows!)

Dave & Co. probably just don't realize it's working that way.

Can you tell I was bored yesterday? (Ü)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Crappola how did you know I'm on the lam OldNed? I always look everyone up with googlemap guy if I'm not familar with where they live but googleearth is definitely better.

Kyla I was kinda hoping Admin might chime in before we resort to cheating. I will contact them.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

We are prevented from cheating anyway because voting is over. I tried. ;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Tee hee Kyla the Daring. Terry advises that, as you suspected, the voting machine doesn't recognize fractions which is why they show as 0%.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, no one would have ever known, if suddenly , the population of Asia increased enough to register on the DG percentile scale, who might have voted there! Could be anybody!

We better be careful, we may start being inspired to manipulate results. But probably not. ;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I was hoping that at the end of voting the machine could make the fractions 1% and adjust the highest percentage accordingly. I mean would the USA-east Mississippians even notice a 4% drop?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

hahahaha Dahlia, we will just have to have a talk with the machine. Machine obviously does not understand that even one gardener counts, eh?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.