USA-west of the Mississippi River
(218 votes, 34%)
Red dot

Other. Tell us where!
(10 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I've always appreciated being able to connect with so many in other parts of the country and world who were interested in the same plants and growing concerns as I was.

On the other hand, it would be nice to connect with more local folk here on the eastern side of Washington State.

Santa Fe, NM

"Shhhh," you guys! What goes on in the Rockies Stays in the Rockies. Of course our geographical region is variable.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I live on a barrier island on the southern part of North Carolina's coast. It's called Pleasure Island (to help increase tourism, our only "industry") and is 8 miles long and maybe 3/4 mile wide.
Love it here. We're 2 blocks from the ocean in a small (1 stoplight) town with a wonderful city, Wilmington, just 15 minutes away.
The winter temps are similar to those in a zone 9, but our winers last longer than a typical zone 9, so I have to wrap up a lot of my favorite plants. It's worth it.
Barb

(Zone 3b)

USA ~ North of Canada ( or NWest; not sure how to label Alaska).

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Eastern Long Island on the North Fork, a/k/a "Wine Country".

It's 14 miles from the ocean, 2 miles south of Long Island Sound, 200' from Jockey Creek, on a peninsula that goes out into part of the Great South Bay.

Not the end of the world but you can see it from here.

Thumbnail by pirl
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I live in Massachusetts very east of the Mississippi {Singing the Mississippi song in my head now} almost to the ocean which is five minutes down the road from us. I have however crossed the Mississippi dozens of times in various places by bridge and by ferry boat in Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois, and Lousiana.
Martha

Buffalo, NY

I'm from good ole Buffalo, NY which is parked at the eastern end of Lake Erie. It ain't bad here and the growing is good for 6 months of the year. Beach-Barbie has winers that are long? (sorry my sense of humor got the better of me.

Moline, IL(Zone 5a)

Mibus2

I can't say I recall anyone.

Sue

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I currently live in Massachusetts - but I'm from God's country - British Columbia! (aka "Lotus Land")

Park Rapids, MN(Zone 3b)

I live at the start of the Mississippi. Park Rapids, MN

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

kiska, you would label Alaska PNW.

Susan105

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada...one of the most challenging places to garden in north temperate zone.

Clinton, IA

I live JUST west of the mighty Mississippi in Clinton Iowa, a stones throw from the river. I'm new to Dave's Garden and looking forward to gardening-I have already started my seeds in their tiny little green houses on my porch.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I am on the east coast of the US where land water and sky meet.LOL
Pamlico County which is surrounded on 4 sides by water. Sound, and rivers.

Lavina

Cambridge, Canada

In a small place called Cambridge, in SW Ontario in a 6A area.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

West of the Mississippi, west of dparson's Dry Line, west of the North American Plate even, but east of Reno, NV. Check on a map, you'll see.

The Los Angeles area is a beautiful place. Really! It's more than tract homes, strip malls, gangs, police chases, and all those other superficial, materialistic, or bad things that you hear about. Like all of God's earth, the natural world here is beautiful.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I live east of Mississippi River, but work west. Many of us commute across the Mississippi River to work each day. : )

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Re: an island in the Mississippi - I'd think that you would consider what state you lived in and whether that state was considered east or west of the MS. For example, if your island was part of Tennessee, you'd say that you were east of the MS and if your island was part of Missouri, you'd say that you lived west of the MS.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Michigan-the land of the Great Lakes!

Thumbnail by notmartha

I live about 40 mins South West of Sydney in Australia ...rural outskirts at the foot of our famous "Blue Mountains" ...strawberry and market gardening country ... I relate to Elsa ...there is something special in the sunshine and the light ...no real Winter here compared to most places. It is a true Eden.

Thumbnail by
Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I now live 'way east of the Mississippi, on a small piece of sandy soil that sticks out into the Atlantic, called Cape Cod. Very different from my "country of origin," which is California. Gardening in the East is exciting.

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

I live in Belgium (Europe) in a very small village of 105 inhabitants.

Now that sounds wonderful, Jonna! I guess it's like the TV series, Cheers. A town "where everybody knows your name".

Yes, everyone knows everyone.
On the picture you can see a part of my garden and the surrounding.

Thumbnail by JonnaSudenius
Clinton, IA

Oh Jonna-your garden is soooo beautiful! The scenery looks like a wonderful place to relax and daydream! What kind of flowers do you grow?

It is indeed a place where one can relax.
I grow all kind of flowers. In my have list you can see the most things I had last year. This year I will try to start a rock garden. And I like wildflowers.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Pakistan

Thumbnail by gumlla
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I love to see the pics from other parts of the world. Thanks Gumlla and Jonna. Jonna, is your garden a container garden? Those look like pots.

Revclaus, I think you are mixing me and gumlla up. Although there are some containers on my photo, I have an 'ordinary' garden.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

If that's what you call 'ordinary' Jonna what do you do for 'extra special' LOL? Your garden is breathtaking.

Jonna - what a gorgeous view!

Kaleem - your pots are all doing so well. I hope you win your local garden contest.

Woodbury, MN(Zone 4a)

Ellsworth--- The Cheese Curd Capital of Wisconsin!

Hey Chocolatemoose! I used to live in North Pole, back before there was a stoplight in town! Kaltag Dr!

Thumbnail by trioadastra
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Alberta, Canada :)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Arizona... woo hoo... the wild wild west :)
Brittany

Fountaintown, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm from Missouri, in north of St Louis. Our house was the last house in the city.our next-door-neighbors lived in St Louis County. We lived on a high hill, and could see the Mississippi (and the distant downtown area of St. Louis from our kitchen window. My best friend and her family and I frequently went to the river to fish, collect things that washed up, and wade.

I once got out of the river with a tiny leech attached to my leg. I pulled it off,and my leg bled and bled! Leeches inject or deposit an anti coagulent. I'm glad it was a tiny leech, not like Humphry Bogart's in the African Queen!!! But his did not continue to bleed...his were fake.

Back to the islands in the Mississippi: Just across from where we played, was Mosenthien Island. Sand bars form in the Mississippi, and if they are large enough, trees begin to grow, and they may be named. So, YES,there are islands in the Big Muddy.

Another feature of the Mississippi was what my friends and I called "canvas"... when the Mississippi floods, it deposits silt on its banks. Gravity pulls the water out of the silt, and sun bakes the top layer, forming canvas, a flexible surface that we children could walk on. Occasionally,we might break through the canvas, and we'd find ourselves in black ooze up to our knees or higher. Gross!!!

One last comment: My friend's mom and aunt used to swim the Mississippi from the Missouri side to the Illinois side, a feat I would never try!

Well, english is not my motherlanguage. So I might have used the word 'ordinary' incorrect.
Thanks for the compliments.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

We ARE kinda like a foreign country...not really mainstream USA. We live on the East side of the Big Island of Hawaii up at about 900'...

Took this photo out of a plane en route to Honolulu. Our two sleeping volcanos...it has been a coldish winter. Forground = Moana Kea BG is Moana Loa (which we are watching closely!!!)

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Great shot, Carol! And may the Sleeping Giants continue to snooze...

What a beautiful picture AlohaHoya.
How cold is a coldish winter on Hawaii?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.