(10 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Europe. Which country?: United Kingdom

Resin

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Resin,

Why are you home in the middle of the afternoon?

I am up, but, it isn't light out, yet.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Middle of the morning here!

I'm wondering what category people put themselves in, if they live on an island in the middle of the Mississippi River ;-)

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Canada - Ontario. Southern Ontario to be more precise, quite a bit further south than most of Canada..and some of the U.S. too :-)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Canada - Ottawa - the national capital of Canada. It's farther north and east than Toronto - about 2 hours away from Montréal.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Canada..Ontario... about 50 miles east of Toronto.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I have lived in alot of places and lived in the east for about 7 years and love it but right now I think I am where I am suppose to be. The growing season is just right and I can still tolerate the heat. We seem to have a little more winter than in years passed and that's a good thing. South Texas, about 5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, couldn't be better.

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

West central Florida - love it here! I don't think I could go back to those New England winters.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I've lived in Chicago all my life. It's a love hate relationship that's for sure! I could live without these winters!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i'm in upstate new york about an hour and a half drive to albany going north. i wish i had a longer growing season like some but i can't give up my four seasons.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Resin...you had your very own category....now it looks like no one lives there....so far... ;o)

OMG! That orchid is FABULOUS!

Herbie,

Wappingers Falls, why does that sound familiar. My son went to school in Rochester, and I went there a few times....I used to work for a company that had a store in a mall in Fishkill.

Steve

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Resin, I am pretty certain there are no islands in the Mississippi River. It's pretty much a very wide muddy ditch.

Jennifer

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Resin ~ UK has its' own vote on the ballot, even tho it is part of EU?

I am resisting voting other ~ for TEXAS of course! LOL

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Jennifer ~ didn't Huckleberry Finn find an island up in the Missouri area of the Mississippi?

This message was edited Mar 23, 2009 7:31 AM

Jennifer,

Lots of small islands on the Mississippi.

Moline, IL(Zone 5a)

I checked east of the Mississippi, but actually I live south of it. I live in the bend of the river that flows east to west between Illinois and Iowa

SueME

Jennifer

Actually there is a fairly large island in the Mississippi, less than 2 miles from me. It has the Rock Island Arsenal on it, which some people do live at.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2009 8:06 AM

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Wow, you learn something every day : )

In our area, there are no islands. I wasn't sure about farther North.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Resin;
Without getting technical. I suppose which side of the river has the most pull, to collect the taxes.
I visited Green Island Iowa. they even made their own traffic and street signs.
That was a number of years ago but I doubt if any well to do person would have parted with the money that they worship so much for such a noble cause as street signs and markers, to benefit the town. LOL

Morganton, NC

North Carolina here, but sometimes I wish I lived west of the mississippi! It's soooo crowded on the eastern side!!

Moline, IL(Zone 5a)

The Rock Island Arsenal also has the honor of having the only bridge in the US, and maybe the world, that rotates 360 degrees. It is not uncommon, when the the bridge is closed, for people, who have never seen it, to run up to the part that rotates and watch it turning. It takes about 15 minutes.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I live in Alberta, Canada
Just about to start my work day :-)

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

On the eastern part of an Island just east of New York City,

...a very long island. ☺!

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Canada; British Columbia...the most beautiful place on Earth!

Pretoria, South Africa

Africa: South Africa. There is nothing like the "African Sun" shining down on you while pottering in the garden.....

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

On the east bank of the Mississippi, but barely. We have old property that still goes in back the levee actually into the Mississippi river itself when the water is high:) So, I'm actually east of the river & spring rolling around... IN the river itself. There's a few bridges around the bayous that swing out completely sideways, don't know if they go all the way around, maybe just 180?

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Checked w of Miss. but should have marked "other". Houston, TX of which Katy is a joined suburb. You never know when you are leaving Houston and entering one of the subs especially when that sub is completely enclosed by Houston! Really! Then we have a China Town (or maybe they call it Oriental Town) but the street signs are all in an oriental language as well as English. Houston is said to be 600 sq. miles and I don't know how many inhabitants. Lots, I guess.

Ann

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Africa - South Africa

About 25 years ago, I worked for an international company and had an assignment with a team in South Africa. At that time, apartheid was in full force. I tried to tell my nice midwestern company that, as a black woman, I would not be welcome there. No one would listen or believe me.We flew in on a private jet. Upon landing, we were told that if I left the plan I would be arrested. We never could figure out for what - I think it was just that I was on a plane with whites. They could not arrest me on the plane since it was considered US soil. Anyway, I had to spend a week on this plane. They finally had to hire another US plane, park it very, very close to the fist one, extend a catwalk from one to the other and I walked across it.

When the team I was with finally returned home, they were very impressed with the country. All I ever saw of it was the insides of 2 planes! I'd love to go back & see what it's really like.

Jo-Ann

(Judi)Portland, OR

Portland, Oregon - a beautiful part of the country!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

West of the Mississippi now in Denver, but I used to live in St. Paul, Minnesota, which was on the eastern banks of the Mississippi. Minneapolis is just across the river on the western banks. Yes, there are islands in the Mississippi. One I remember is Harriet Island close to St. Paul. It was filled in in the 50s, but it still qualifies as an island since that's what it was to begin with.

I voted for West side of the Mississippi River, but in reality, I actually live on the North side of it-just as Jennifer lives on the South side.

I imagine lots of folks have never realized the Mighty Mississippi runs east and west for a short distance!

Sasha

Jo-Ann,

How terrible. It makes you realize just how cruel and opressive apartheid was. It's hard to believe that it could still go on, in this day and age.

Thank God it's ended.

Steve

Moline, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL Sasha

That was me, and yes I agree. I don't think a lot of people realize that it runs east to west for a few miles.

SueME

Pretoria, South Africa

Jo-Ann,
I'm so sorry you had such a horrible experience! Luckily that is all in the past now.

One thing that is for sure, is the fact that once you have breathed and smelled Africa, you can't just walk away. So many people who immigrated, came back after a few years, not because of bad experiences in the other countries, but because Africa is in their blood. One has to experience it in order to understand it...

Hope you can come and visit our beautiful country one day, and enjoy our hospitality.

Elsa.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

US 'just' east of the Mississippi...about 13 miles!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Never in my wildest dreams did I know that when I moved back home and remodeled a farm house with no wind breaks, the daily winds would average in the spring about 40+mph. Today all the poly wrapped around the front porch for the winter is blowing off. Home is great but I despise this wind.

If anyone had been living out here, they hopefully would have planted more trees. At my age, I won't be around to even benefit from planting trees right now and I know that my adult kids have much attachment to where I grew up.

edited to say the news came on locally to say the winds are 50+mph today!! I know you envy me!

This message was edited Mar 23, 2009 2:29 PM

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

New Mexico. Not just West of the Mississippi, West of the Dry Line. The Dry Line is perhaps more relevant for gardeners in terms of what will readily grow and what you do to grow it.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Good point, dparsons. Dry it is, a far cry from the humidity of the midwest. But I don't miss it. I do agree with gessiegal about the wind! We have it here too. Today's wind gusts are 50+ mph. Wind is the biggest problem I have in gardening on my balcony. Up here the gusts are higher. They blew the doors off my little greenhouse and I can't get them back on because they were ripped too.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Denver would be a beautiful place to live but I do understand the winds. My daughter and her family went skiing a couple of weeks ago and had to sit in the Denver airport for hours waiting for the wind to die down . The small planes that fly to the skiing areas couldn't take off because of the high winds. Your balcony looks wonderful to me!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.