Flowering in March 09

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Geeze, you guys! I thought someone would have got the thread going for me. Sheesh! Guess I have to do everything around here! he, he.
I haven't got a flower pic from today, but will put one in from a couple of days ago. Physostegia (obedient plant)
Loved the cactus pics Barmerians, and Judys cannas, and the yellow Poinciana (would lurve some seeds)
Glad you will be getting a camera soon Chrissy. Sammut, i hope you are feeling better, and your Tillandsia cyanea is well on the way to having lovely, clove scented, purple flowers emerge from that pink paddle!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

That pumpkin on a stick. Does it grow on river banks? I think I've been pulling it out from beside a creek for over a year now! might have to let one fruit and take it home to dry (not try)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

oh yeah, we came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/948045/

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Love your obedient plant Sue...have you got the white version too?The 'pumpkin on a stick plant' is a type of solanum...there are many different types growing here as weeds..I had a solanum come up in my garden last year it grew to about 3metres or so...it had white flowers and green fruit...I am still digging it out as it suckers from root fragments...I will try to find a pic to show you sometime.
This is a white mirabilis aka 4 o'clock...sorry about the blurry pic!

Thumbnail by brical1
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Bougie: Easter Parade

Thumbnail by brical1
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Judy, yes I have the whte also. It self seeded well, but i pulled out the too tall, daggy ones, as they were falling and flopping over everything, so i left the shorter ones in which looks much better. No flower pics from me today, as its a bit drizzly. I might get out and have a look later. Thats a pretty pink on the boug, Judy.

noonamah, Australia

Here's a Turnera subulata flowering in March. Although, it's been flowering for quite a while.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
noonamah, Australia

A different colour Turnera.

noonamah, Australia

Also Durantia "Geisha Girl"

noonamah, Australia

No shortage of these Heliconia flowers now either.

noonamah, Australia

Does Allamanda ever stop flowering?

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi TB, lovely blloms! I have two Allamandas that i cut back every spring and at this moment they are eating the veranda! Pink and yellow, just gorgeous.
I'm jealous of your Heliconias. i have a couple, but only one just began to flower today. Another (Heliconia bihai 'Yellow Dancer' is coming up 3-4 years old and never flowered yet! I recently gave it a bit of pottasium, but perhaps it needs a little more?
I have not heard of Turnera. I have seen Geisha Girl though.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Another I was trying to train as a shrub/standard effect

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

A lonely little baby Heliconia

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

My Tibouchina has changed since last year, as it is no longer juvenille. It looked better when it was, I thought.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Ok, I know technically this isn't flowering yet, but I can't help but think of Asparagus when I look at it!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
se qld, Australia

My black bat plant. It's been flowering for months.

Thumbnail by gardengal
Barmera, Australia

Gardengal that is an interesting plant to see close up. It appears the flower is not a flower but bracts with the flower buds growing out from the centre and am I right in assuming the visible buds are female and the stalks that dissapear off the photo the male parts. Quite unusual formation or at least to me it is.
Brian

barmera, Australia

Weedwoman those Allamandas are stunning. I especially like the shrub one. You have a beautiful garden, so neat and tidy. It must take all your time. Gardengal the bat flower is something special too. I had never heard of them until a couple of weeks ago. Cody cute little Mocha. Pups are so much work though aren't they? The wind has been blowing here today. It got quite hot after I posted my first chat this morning, then the wind started and brought the cool change. We had a few drops of rain but if you blinked you would have missed them. I just wish this drought would break and we can all get back to normal living. Tropicbreeze you certainly have some wonderful flowers too and the Heliconia is really striking. Brical the pink Bougie is lovely but aren't they all. Well must go and see what else is going on. Colleen

se qld, Australia

The stalks that disappear are simply 'whiskers' that serve no purpose other than to make the plant look spectacular Brian. You're quite correct about the bracts.

I didn't have a decent closeup of the flowers on the black one, so had to make do with the white one, but the flowers themselves are pretty much the same.

Thumbnail by gardengal
Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Sue your cherry allamanda is fabulous........

Pam your Bat plant is awesome........

I wrote a really long thread on here and the thing just disappeared ,after I went and made a cup of tea...so this is short and sweet.......

Barmera, Australia

Myac I was having the same trouble losing big long posts until I woke up. With Windows you can Highlight the whole text then press Control C then if you lose your posting all you need to do is start as though you were going to type a new post and press Control V and Bobs your uncle. If you have a Mac Budgieman told how to do a copy/paste on that a while ago.
Brian
PS I haven't lost a posting since I found that I could do that.

Sydney, Australia

Same here Stake. Mac Command C = Copy
Command V = Paste
If you like try this. Click once in the text area and Control A
Should highlight the lot. Then Control C to copy. Saves dragging the cursor.
Can't understand loss of posts?
Do they just disappear while typing?
Curious
Budgie

Barmera, Australia

The losses with me were with going to look at something else in a different thread but several times I had the computer lock up when trying to get a photo from my files. Also if you try to go to the WWW. or run any program that use the web browser. I have CDs of Cacti & Succulents that work like that.
Brian

If you look at a picture someones posted picture while typing your reply ... it goes up in smoke ...other times it is because you have timed out ...or lost the broadband width ...so I am told. Haven't you noticed that you cannot get onto the web at certain times ...due to too many users taking up all the whatever they are. It's very frustrating to type a long post ...only to lose it. It happens quite a bit to me because I am in the rural area.
chrissy

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I lose posts when I press send, and it comes back with 'web page expired'
Of course, I spend time trying to answer everyones posts, and sometimes open other tabs to go look at stuff, so assume its a time thing.
(in Windows) open a new tab, go to DG (you should already be signed in) to look at the exact same thread you are replying to in the original tab, and that way you can look at the pics again, without losing the reply you are typing in the other tab.
anyway, wheres all the flowers? have you got your camera workingyet Chrissy.
Brian, thanks for the advice over in the tearoom about the best position to repose in. I will try it tonight. I actually woke up less sore than yesterday, and have an appointment with the Chiropractor on Saturday. So I should be all good by early next week. I can't stand the constant pain! (and I'm only a baby)
32 degress here today, and humid! Might have to go throw myself in the pool. I better check it for scorpions, spiders, frogs and snakes first! They have all been in it at one time or another!
Happy gardening everyone
Sue
this is the swale

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Whaa no it's dead ...my granddaughter lent me her very fancy expensive one but forgot to give me the thingy to plug into the puter ...strict instructions to only take 38 pics ??? so I must wait until the new angels flower in case I miss showing them ...it's killing me ...to think I rabbited on for months without one because I didn't know what to do ...hubby has heavy medical expenses at the moment so the camera has to go onto the waiting list ...anyway here is a pic taken last week of something flowering now ...smells sooo lemon fresh! ...does anyone remember Diors Eau Savage ...
Sorry to hear your neck is so bad ...best get it seen too ...hope it will be easily fixed.
Exmouth ...(size of a bread and butter plate)

Thumbnail by
se qld, Australia

>This is the swale

That's not a swale, Sue, that's a small country!!! My gosh, it's very impressive!

melbourne, Australia

chrissy - you should be able to get a memory card really cheap for the camera so you can take more photos than that. it is a digital isn't it? go and ask someone like harvey norman or a shop that sells cameras.

shelly

se qld, Australia

yes Chrissy, memory cards are dirt cheap these days. BigW has 2 gb for around $12. The other thing is, too, will the memory card from your dead camera fit into your granddaughter's camera?

Christchurch, New Zealand

ok - that swale is so inviting, I just want to wander down & see what is at the other end!
Chrissy - is Exmouth a magnolia?
It is just stunning I wonder if it would grow here :)

se qld, Australia

Those who keep losing posts, do any of you use Firefox? I've been fiddling, trying to lose part written posts, but can't seem to do it, so I'm wondering if it's a problem isolated to Internet Explorer?!

Barmera, Australia

Chrissy100, I assume you could take more photos with your broken one. If your granddaughter can only take 38 before down loading it only has a piddling little card of about 32 meg. If so have a look and see if the the card is the same as yours and if it is the same, just swap over. Another alternative would be to get a bigger card it will only cost about $12 for 2GB or $27 for 4GB, I got mine from the local P.O.
If your computer has a card reader you don't need the cable just take the card out of the camera, put it in the card reader, down load your photos then delete the photos from the card and you are ready to go again.
Attached photos show the low capacity SD card that was in my new camera and a 2GB that costs $12.
Hope I haven't been bashing your ear about things you already know and the 38 photo limitation was for another reason.
Regards Brian

Thumbnail by Stake

I feel a bit silly ...my grand daughter came in tonight and said she will go get the thingy to plug in to the computer on the weekend so I can go ahead and take pictures and I can post them then ...I queried the number of pictures and she said I must not have been listening correctly ...she laughed at the 38!!!! oh boy I need my hearing looked at ...I guess it made me so nervous looking at that whizbang camera that my ears freaked out! can't wait for the weekend!
Teresa yes it's a magnolia grandiflora ...like you see in the old south (USA) I consider it a very beautiful romantic looking tree with that stunning flower at an early age ... a smaller one than the Bull Bay Magnolia but bigger than Little Gem.
I get flowers that size on a 5ft young tree.
http://www.gardenersworld.com/plant-detail/PL00080179/518/magnolia

West of Brisbane, Australia

I use Firefox and still lose postings. It's related to the ISP (my internet service is truly lousy, thank you Virgin_letustake10yearsoffyourlifewhileyourbloodpressureskyrocketsasyouwaitforthemodemtoreconnectoverandoverandoveragain,each and every day_broadband) and the number of people trying to access the website at the same time.

In addition to the Control A (select all), Control C (copy) and Control V (paste) commands described above, don't forget the back button at the top of your browser window (it's the arrow facing left). Just click on the arrow to be taken back to your typed message, then use the above commands to copy your typed text into a new message. It *usually* works for me.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi all, Hi Cestrum, I tried the back button, but still got an expired web page. I too think its a provider issue.
Pam, that swale is a pain in the deriere! I made it too narrow for the ride on, so now have to drag the push mower from one side of the property to the other, just to mow down it! Its only there to take away the storm water when we get heavy rain. The dam also overflows into it, and in really bad floods, the neighbours drive way becomes a river that flows in from the left side, taking all my mulch out to sea. ALSO, SPiders love to build webs accross from tree to tree, so when walking down it, you have to take a stick and wave it around before you! he, he. It's actually a nice little walk down there.
Chrissy, that bloom is magnificent. Does it have a fragrance. I can't help but stick my nose in a gorgeous flower, and am always disappointed if there isn't a fragrance. I'm glad you'll be back in action with some pics for us soon.
My neck does feel a little better thanks, (Tried Brians Angel Wings) and I have an appointment with a chiropractor on Saturday morning. I was supposed to be going to a "Tribal themed, teepee party and womens blessing" at a friends, but would rather have a fixed neck. the boys are all racing vintage motorcross this weekend, but I'm not looking forward to a house full of men, and going out to the track reminds me of lawnmowers and whippersnippers! He, he. Maybe I'll get a book and catch up on some reading?
I guess I'd better get out and see if there is anything worth taking a picture of. I wish I'd taken my camera with me when i walked the dogs yesterday morning, as the sunrise was pink and was reflecting in a roadside dam, with sillohettes of roo's all around. It would've looked great. Next time eh?
I made this bit of lawn big enough for the ride on. Whew!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Sue the Magnolia Exmouth would love living at your place ...it has a glorious citrus tangy sherbet fragrance and the bloom is almost as big as the huge Bull Bay Magnolia ...I saw one up close at the Royal Botanical gardens in Sydney, one bloom gives out enough perfume to have it waft right through my home if the back door is open. It is in a large pot but I may liberate it next year because I love it and would like it to grow to it's full height.
I hope all goes well with your neck ...I went to a thing like that teepee party ...it was fun and interesting ...I thought the hostess was very friendly and seemed to take a very keen interest in all of us. I found out later she ran off with one of the ladies (married) from that doo ...a bit of a scandal in a small town like this ...
I found out what a swale is *blushing* does that mean a water channel that is dry most of the time?

Christchurch, New Zealand

Weed_woman - that 'bit of lawn' is bordered by gorgeous garden!
Like the swale it just tempts you to wander further along & explore what is around the bend...
It reminds me a little of my in-laws garden in Robina, although they have sold that house & downsized...
we haven't seen the new home yet as they have only just sold up.
We really need to go visit, they have a spare room...
normally they visit us but our spare room is being used by their other son:)
DH will have to clear out his computer room or perhaps we need to evict the dogs from their bedroom.
Fancy having a 4 bedroom house & no guest room!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Chrissy, wow, how bizarre! I'm sure my friends party would have been an interesting experience, but these days, I am feeling quite sedate, and not really up to the whole tribal dancing, way out rituals e.t.c. I'd rather have a cup of tea, (or a glass of wine) and go to bed early with a bromeliad book!
I don't know about you, but the format on this thread is really wide, and I have to scroll accross!
Yes, Swale, = dry drain. We learned about them at Tafe. I might have to look into those Magnolias, but where would I put it? he, he.
Dalfyre, guess whats at the end of the swale, and to the left of the lawn? A great gravel dirveway, big enough for 4 semi's! On the other hand, if you went right, you can wander around the gardens that border the house, or stroll through the flower garden by means of the pathways. I spend most of my free time walking around my yard. (Always taking a weed bucket and secateurs with me of course). I love it.
Here, stroll through the flower garden, if you can get passed my guards! he, he.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Barmera, Australia

G'Day Weed_woman, I thought that wide thing was a fault with my computer but obviously not. I reckon your guards would let me in because they look like very nice dogs.
Brian

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.