Flowering in March 09

Coffs Harbour, Australia

They are, and they would! You'd get a lickin for sure though! I'm very lucky in that they don't trash my gardens, and when they bury bones, they do it without disturbing roots and mulch!
This must be a new wide angle thread or something. WWWWhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
It's like running down a long hall in your sox!
A bit further down the path

Thumbnail by weed_woman

It is always a pleasure to wander around your place sue ...this wide thing happens every now and then.

western sydney nsw, Australia

Good Morning to all ,
Just catching up on every thing and every one after my some time here some time in La-la- land
whate a week I had.
Sue Your guards are good they showed me all around and all the great places to bury bones even took me for a swim to cool of . ----------Sammut.

melbourne, Australia

sue, your garden is so lovely... and your guards are just gorgeous. thanks for showing us. shelly

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Nice of you all to say so. I am in love with the garden again. It happens every spring and Autumn. Its slowing down now, so I can start to get on top of the weeds, then in winter I can do all the rock edges on the unfinished beds, then weed and mulch them up properly. I also have some plants that need moving, but there is no rush for that,maybe next spring.
I took a picture yesterday at my neighbours garden. She has huge Azalea flowers in bloom!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

This is the bloom on the new Brom my Nursery boss gave me today. Its Nidularium campos-portoi (formally known as Wittrockia campos-portoi)

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Here's an old faithful from my garden - eucharist lily (Eucharis grandiflora). It gets completely ignored, but the flower is quite pretty, and only last a day or so.

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Brisbane, Australia

Hmmm I've tried to photograph this geranium a few times & just can't seem to capture the depth of colour, but this is best so far!

Thumbnail by LeisaD
barmera, Australia

Hi Leisa. Is that an Ivy Geranium? beautiful colour.

I agree! lovely! ...all the pictures are beautiful, Autumn to me is even more welcome than Spring ...a respite from the humidity and heat ...a lovely mellow feel about it. Spring has a certain rush rush rush feel to it and that is exciting, mellow is nicer for me, love both though.I enjoy Winter very much too ...the garden is ever changing ...ever evolving. I think the change of seasons is a glorious thing.

Brisbane, Australia

Yes it's an ivy geranium & as tough as. I occasionally give it some Miracle Grow to boost the flowers. Here's the other ivy geranium - this one I've had for years & it's amazingly survived very ill-treatment.

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Your garden is looking beautiful Sue!
Leisa and Ct.. so are your Ivy geraniums...I find they are better able to tolerate humidity than the zonals.We have had a fairly humid summer here this year( inland from bris )and I have lost a few zonals ,some though seem to be a bit more tolerant than others.
A noid canna...don't even know where it came from ,maybe a seedling...just found it one day growing in a pot so I repotted it and this is the result...is a really bright yellow!

Thumbnail by brical1

Hibiscus

Thumbnail by brical1

Noid white brug

Thumbnail by brical1

Mini pumpkins today (Solanum)

Thumbnail by brical1
Christchurch, New Zealand

lovely to stroll around your garden, I smiled at your comment about taking the weed bucket & secateurs - I do that too - and normally have dog treats in pockets so I am guessing those ferocious guard dogs would let me by :)
I have two that would savagely lick you to the bone...
they would happily help you carry out the family silver for a schmackos.
I should be out there dead heading the roses but it's too hot & blustery!
at 5pm...
funny, the other day it was too cold & wet.
I'll get out there later when it cools down a bit :)
I have nice men coming on Tuesday to top my plum tree.
I don't know if I can espalier it but it will make it more manageable & perhaps I will get some fruit instead of the birds having first pick & the dogs getting what they drop.
One of my work mates is busy with Ellerslie Flower show coming up.
It is weird, the ChCh City Council paid a huge price to buy the Ellerslie name - it is a suburb in Auckland where they first held the flower show as a Rotary fundraiser.
It's like Chelsea being held in a different ...
oh that's right they did move the Chelsea flower show to a different, bigger venue.
Anyway at $35.00 to get in I won't be going...

http://www.ellerslieflowershow.co.nz/

shame as I would have loved to see it after all the years I drooled over coverage of the event when staged up in Auckland.
Now it's practically in my backyard & out of my budget

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Dalfyre, I was unimpressed at teh cahnge of venue, as I was looking forward to going one day, and tying it in with a visit to all my rellies in Auckland. Maybe i'll get to Christchurch instead, and come stay in your garden! he, he.
Brical, thats a beaut Canna. i am quite partial to bright yellows in the garden.
Leisa, those Geraniums are lovely too. I especially like the burgundy. I bought home 2 cuttings last year, one apple blossom? and one ivy leaf climber, in a hot pink colour. The humidity here turns the leaves yellow on most, so I tried for the toughest ones.
Chrissy, i love Autumn too, as the nights and mornings are cool, making for perfect sleeping weather. I can feel the growth slowing down and the pruning is lasting longer.
Hi Colleen, hows things in your garden?
I'd better be off to bed, or I won't be able to get up for work!
Sue

West of Brisbane, Australia

Here's the Dr Seuss brugmansia seedling with its best flush of flowers yet. In previous spot flowering, the flower was quite soft, sort of floppy, and I couldn't detect any scent. Now, the flower is quite firm and the fragrance is pronounced--smells like my Golden Butter with that typical honey/almond perfume. The colour is pure yellow (not captured by the camera, which makes it look more white than yellow) but over the next few days will take on orange tones. I think it must prefer autumn to the summer heat as it barely flowered over spring/summer. Or perhaps it was just settling in.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2009 6:12 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Hello all. I don't have a lot going on flowerwise in the garden. What is there is not worth photographing. The Belladonnas are always pretty though. My pink ones are done now , they come up first, about a month before these bi color ones.
I also have a white but it's stem is green not red so it may be different. The first photo is the usual white with pink. but with a couple of all pinks on the same stem
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

This is the usual pink and white I originally got these from an old farm house site. The garden had been there for over 60 years.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

This is the white and you can see the green stem. This is one flowerhead on the stem and there are 12 flowers. If anyone thinks this is not an Amaryllis Belledonna, please tell me what you think it is. . The Wikipedia says white is a common color, but all I have ever seen were the pinks. I had never seen the pink/ white either until these bloomed a few years ago.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Not a great photo as the plant is nearly finished flowering but my Salvias have survived the heat really well . I have several of different colors which brighten the garden and all grow well here without much water at all. I will be adding more because of their hardiness and lovely flowers. Mine flower from late spring until late autumn.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Oh no this wide thing is happening again ...Cestrum ideal conditions for these darling angels are warm (but not too hot) and cooler (but not too cold evenings) ...I think your Brugs will enjoy Autumn/early winter where you are ...it's lovely!
Look at those naked ladies! beautiful ...I can smell them from here.
sue I have that hot pink climber ...the secret with all of that group is to grow in washed river sand with about 25% cow poo.
Chop when getting a bit tired (after a big flowering)
Judy aren't those mini pumpkins interesting ...do they last long in the vase? they certainly look like a flower arrangers delight.
your canna and hibiscus are always beautiful ...I haven't got my thingy for the camera until tonight so posting something in flower now but last years pic.
Snail Creeper ...oh the fragrance!

Thumbnail by

Crikey! ...soooooooo wide! this thing ...look jean ...the white are available in bulbs.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1284857868050418970Sszjzg
hope that helps.
chrissy

Jean,Your belladonnas are really stunning.I have heard they also have a lovely perfume. I love the salvias too!
Chrissy your snail vine is spectacular...I have a couple of small ones ...have to find somewhere to plant them.
This is my first year with the 'mini pumpkins'(solanum)...so i will have to wait and see but I have read they do last for sometime.
Would you like me to keep you some seeds?

I guess we all have snail vines LOL
Here's one of mine, growing up the Michelia champaca. Each year I think I will dig it out because it tends to distort the pyramidal shape of the champaca, but each year I chicken out and just cut it to ground level instead.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

And here's the cestrum hedge. The plants in the centre are smaller than the others because, for some reason, they've been badly affected by the frost. (It has a mind of its own, frost.) I never thought I'd say this but, when the hedge is in flower, the smell can actually be a little overwhelming as it wafts in thru the windows. I've got a baby C. elegans and am hoping to replace some of the nocturnums with the elegans (if I can get some cuttings to strike) which is unscented. So my hedge will still look uniform (same leaves/growth habit) but with different coloured flowers and maybe a little less overpowering in its perfume. I might have to check out the thread on grafting and budding to see if I could maybe graft or bud some of the elegans onto the nocturnum; would make better sense than turfing out established plants, I think. But grafting is not one of my skills :-(

This message was edited Mar 9, 2009 12:03 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I have 2 huge cestrums...that get cut by frost each year..both are planted near bedroom windows...I just love the scent but I guess I can understand it being overpowering for some...It is really intoxicating here when the cestrum,murraya and the brugs are all in bloom together...such a strong mix of scents..

Thumbnail by brical1

cestrum you know if you dig down you will find a sort of tuber thingy (snail creeper) ...you can do that in winter and move it somewhere convenient. Funny thing is the garden program on the radio was begging for seeds of the snail creeper ...funny how things go out of fashion. Who could live without the perfume right, but after it rained all year last year it just about ate my garden. You must have one of the most fragrant gardens ever ...
judy bella donnas have what they describe as an hypnotic fragrance ...musky and heavy , seductive would be a word to describe it. Like angels it too has a "colourful" history. The little "fruits" they produce are produce make little babies very quickly ...I must go check mine to see if there are any ...they drop off very quickly and most people don't realize they had "seeds". I will send some along for you if I find any.

I had one cestrum nocturnum when I lived in Melb, and thought it was so wonderful that I planted a hedge of them. But I must admit that 12 of them, concentrated in one spot, is rather overpowering. Should have stuck to one or two!

Chrissy, I have indeed seen the snail-creeper tuber as I've already moved quite a few snail creepers around the garden. Probably not worth the effort, given that they grow so easily from seed. Seed shortage? Not at my place!

Not one last year but hundreds the year before ...we were told the constant rain washed the pollens out of the blooms. Usually no seeds shotages at my place either Lol

Thumbnail by

Yes, snail creepers could easily take over an entire block if you let it. Fortunately, it doesn't mind being pruned hard. Funny thing is that I collected my seed last autumn/winter, so the seed shortage wasn't nationwide.

And the scent is to die for....hmmmm nice to go to sleep with...

noonamah, Australia

That "yellow Poinciana " you mentioned right at the beginning. Wouldn't be what we call Yellow Flame Tree, Peltophorum pterocarpum?

I thought this had died...
is it a Belladonna?
I have heard it called a Naked Lady,
must go sniff it & see if it is fragrant.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Busy day for me - I finally planted the rose Mum gave me.
So it is out of the pot on the terrace...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

And now my lovely fragrant red rose has a home in the garden...
I dug out a mini angry panther & lots more tazetta narcissus bulbs.
A clump of them would probably look nice but not the entire garden all along the front of the house!

Thumbnail by dalfyre
se qld, Australia

Grevillea dryandrii. Pic is a bit blurry sorry

Thumbnail by gardengal
se qld, Australia

And another, Golden Lyre

Thumbnail by gardengal
noonamah, Australia

Couldn't help it, here's a photo of Grevillea dryandri. They grow all over the place here, and there are a few variations. Coincidentally, today I saw some that were a lighter pink colour instead of our common red. We also have a bushy/prostrate form in a deeper red.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.