Follow the 2009 Hummingbird Migration!!

Woodbridge, VA

Good morning, Fellow Birders! Angele, that is a gorgeous Oriole! This is the first time that I have checked the "Hummer" thread. Now, I guess I'll be on the forum most of the day...not just half of the day. LOL I'm sure it will be a while before our Hummers get here. I'm going to buy one of those feeders (shown in your photo). A blessed day is wished for all.

Woodbridge, VA

Good morning, Pelletory! First, thanks for starting this thread. Then, (holy cow!) I flew by the photos that you, ctbig, Frank, and Swissy posted. They're all beautiful! We live so close to Baltimore, and we have yet to spot a Baltimore Oriole.

Marlton, NJ

One has made it to South Carolina!!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

woo hoo

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

when are you putting your feeders out Pelle?... what state

:)

Marlton, NJ

Hi one wish, April is when I start because that's usually when I see my first scout. (NJ) :-)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks... ooohhh I can't wait

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

The bad weather seems to have slowed them some. Not many sightings the last three days.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have always seen one by now. When the bottlebrush blooms, they never miss it, well not till this year

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

All right, you guys, the Pacific Northwest really does exist, and we do have hummers, too, even though they are not the RT variety.
We had an Anna's come to the suet on the winter bird feeder on New Year.s day, and because we were having a party, had a lot of witnesses!
Today is the day (March 15th) we put out our feeders and usually have a customer within an hour or so. However, this year we woke up to over 2 inches of snow and had a blustery day of wind, torrents of rain and bits of hail and sleet. Did put out the feeder, though, just in case, but didn't see any activity.
Am glad to see a map for the Rufous, (our most common) and will keep watching to see how things go in your part of the world. In the meantime we will take in the Sandhill Crane Festival this coming weekend and also look for the swans that are passing through. Happy bird watching! Also will be interested to see ideas on hummer feeders as Perky Pet's are loved by the birds but a real hassle to clean! Julie

Klamath River, CA

A long shot on a rainy morning of the first Hummer of the season

Male Rufous (the pic I posted earlier was at the post office and I think it stays there year round)

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

He let me get a little closer this time.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

h

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

hh

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The last pic looks like he's waving at you ^_^ awwww

Marlton, NJ

Nice adel!

Their in North Carolina now!

congrats adel!
The hooded oriole is still here but no hummers yet

South Hamilton, MA

I didn't know that rufous would come to the east coast, even in winter. In New England we only have ruby-throat.

Klamath River, CA

angele..............Haven't seen any Orioles yet but I set out some orange halves just in case.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Their getting closer every day!! Only a couple more weeks for me...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

YOOO HOOOO TX! We seem to be stuck in the west.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm between Dallas and Fort Worth and I haven't seen any here yet. My feeder has been up for a week, but last week we had several days of cold rainy weather. I'm hoping this week will be more welcoming for them.

Sarah

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ahhhh thanks lowellsf. That explains it. They're waiting out the weather.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

YEA!!!!! We had our first hummer of the season show up this morning and it looks like he's going to stay! I got a pic of him but can't figure out how to resize it on a new computer with an oddball photo program. Hopefully I'll be able to get PSP installed on this one and be back to normal for all my hummer and bluebird pics.

Barb

Marlton, NJ

Hi Barb, I'm looking forward to seeing your pics!

Here is a photo resizer program from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yeah!

Wilmar, AR(Zone 8a)

My MIL said she saw a hummer zip through her breezeway last week so she ran in and filled the feeder and put it out but she hasn't seen it since. I've got my little tube feeder ready and waiting. "Here hummer, hummer!"

Marlton, NJ

Is that one in North Carolina now?

Marlton, NJ

OMG he's in northern North Carolina now!!!

We better start getting those feeders ready to go very soon!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

OOH there getting so close to us Northerners!!

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Virginia? Am I correct??? I guess I will be putting one out this weekend!!!!! Yay!!!

Marlton, NJ

Yes they have moved again!!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I wish I had a penny for every time I run inside and refresh the migration page!! LOL! I am sick...back to the yard and all the weeds awaiting!!

Marlton, NJ

dell, Do you have a feeder up yet?

Marlton, NJ

Baltimore Oriole in Ohio!!!!!

Marlton, NJ

Another Hummer sighting in Virginia!!

This message was edited Mar 20, 2009 10:22 AM

Oklahoma City, OK

I'm still waiting and waiting and waiting !!! (fingers druming on the desk) : ( lol..

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

They sure do like the coastline!

Edited to say that Yesterday I got some cattails to put out as nesting material. Maybe that will entice them to stay!

This message was edited Mar 20, 2009 10:33 AM

Marlton, NJ

There you go Marna!

I thought last year they were coming up the middle faster (not positive).

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Am I not Obsessed with this mission?

On journey north you can check last year's migration. it's kind of fun to go week by week (drop down selection on the left)

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/humm_ruby_spring2008.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.