Follow the 2009 Hummingbird Migration!!

Marlton, NJ

LOL...The Lure of Sugar

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I'm not taking any chances...I put out a Hummingbird feeder and an Oriole feeder today. We have Daffodils in bloom also! I am north of the Arkansas border and they have been spotted just south of Arkansas.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL Rose! wonder who'll find it first, oriole or hummie?

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I am betting the Hummers show up first..but I wouldn't bet my life!

Wilmar, AR(Zone 8a)

I was looking at the hummingbird.net reporting map and the sightings in 2008 and this year's sightings are coming almost a week earlier. I saw my first one on 3/26 last year. I better hurry and put my feeder up!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Gosh, I havent seen a one yet, seems its getting late, I hope not, I dont want them to miss me.

Marlton, NJ

You don't get them in the winter gg?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Some winters...not this one. Im getting worried its something about my yard or feeders. Altho, while picking up bird food the other day, the lady at the bird store said the 15th is the date they start usually showing up.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

One came by at 2:30pmCDST today.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Hands clapping! Only about 200 miles from me. Thanks, FC.. Lee

this is such good news.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I was insanely jealous of your hummer since I haven't seen one this year at all. I wonder if they are skirting around Texas this year. I know there have been some reported here, but we've had the driest winter in recorded history and 2/3 of the state is in dire drought conditions. I bet what is blooming isn't producing much nectar. I really miss them!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I had no idea we had rofous HB's here in our area. I thought we only had rubies here. I was reading up on them, they are described as having a rofous face. What is rofous?

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

pdoyle...I believe Rufous is a reddish-brown color. I had no idea they were in your area either...wish they'd come our way!

Elphabe...it looks like there are some RT's in your area. Wow...these little beauties are making some good time now...look how fast they are moving north !!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I only found out b/c I clicked on the tracking info in thessecond post up top and saw where people have noted sightings north of me.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

My goodness...they are moving right along!!

hard to believe since it's only 27° here!

South Hamilton, MA

Luckily there are still a long way away--cold & dreary here & no food.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No kiddin irisMA says mitten-clad dahlianut.

Two days ago I though I heard the 'buzz' of a hummingbird, last night I dreamed of seeing hummingbirds
Just now a Hooded Oriole was at the feeder!
Don't believe I've ever seen the Orioles before the hummingbirds
Photo taken maybe 10 minutes ago!

This message was edited Mar 12, 2009 4:47 PM

Thumbnail by angele
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Ive never seen an orile...period. I have my oranges out tho. I think they have 'candied' but Im trying.

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow nice pic angele! What a view!!!

You'll see them Gardenglory!
Grandmaggie, I was so excited, lol and didn't have my camera ready of course. Telephoto lens on there now!

Westford, VT(Zone 4a)

I re-adjust my calendar for the first siteing at my feeder on May 15th each year. Thanks again for the link!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wonderful pic angele!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Is that one of the orange oriole feeders, or just a regular hummingbird feeder. That one, they can land on. I would just about pass out with glee, if I saw one of those orange birds in my yard.

Thanks Dahlia!
That is a hummingbird feeder made by First Nature (with perches). I am concerned that the holes are too small. The feeder I had last year cracked. It had those little yellow flowers on it that just popped off and so the holes were pretty big. I have no idea if the Orioles just need to get their tongues in or their bills too. Anyone know?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have never seen an oriole either... thanks for the photo

South Hamilton, MA

I see that there is a hummer in northern Georgia. It must be a frequent flyer.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Angele that one sells for 3.88 and more of my hummers use it than the others I have that cost more plus it is easy to clean.

f_chisolm - It seems well constructed and because the opening to the 'jar' is much larger than others I've had I agree it will be much easier to keep clean. I always try to unscrew & then screw the parts together again before I purchase. I rejected some that cost quite a bit more that wouldn't screw together easily. I emailed the company last night letting them know I loved the feeder but asked about the heavily glued label. I couldn't get the residue off. They emailed back to try ice &/or peanut butter! I think that is the remedy for bubble gum in hair. I'll give it a try when it is time to refill it. It did cost me more than $3.88 but not much more.

Marlton, NJ

Holy Moly! Ones at the top of Georgia!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im wondering if the crows and mockingbird could be keeping the hummers away from my feeder.
They are around FL, and have always been here.

Marlton, NJ

Well these are just the scouts not the main pack.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

Gardenglory, I was wondering the same thing. We have whole flocks of Red-winged blackbirds and Cowbirds and they scatter the Goldfinches, Chipping Sparrows and Cardinals every time they fly in or out. I hope the dozen or so hummers we had all summer last year remember where their "bread was buttered"!!

Barb

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im afraid with our cold spring, they just skipped us and headed north.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Cool on the oriole Angele..hope you reported him!!

The hummer in northern Georgia must be one of mine in a hurry to get here...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message was edited Mar 13, 2009 11:05 AM

Mine was here for three days and is now gone. I guess he built up his strength to fly further north.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Continue to clap as I am in N.E. MS Lee

yah nanny, maybe it is ED

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.