NEW 2009 " FREEPORT SPRING SWAP"

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well I will have you all know... The swap made me do a whole lot of work in the yard. Lets see did I enjoy myself? YES I did. I had to make a whole new area in the front yard digging, digging, and weeding! It looks great now. All the plants I recieved are almost all planted! Ronna

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

RONNA : iT wAS A FUN TIME & i ALSO LOVED ALL THE PLANTS i RECIEVED FROM EVERYONE .
I Think when everyone see the plants that were brought maybe they will want to join us with the next one
that we maight do in the fall .

I'm just Sorry i got side tracked & did;t get a picture of you and bird nexted to your plants you all were busy signing peaople in & Unloading plants :) I really feel bad about that .

I have a picture of your tables when i was taken a picture of linda & Liz :)))

I did get most of my plants in the ground today but I still have 3 more to plant :) My hands are so so sore from weeding & Digging tonight it is very hard to type .

Birdie Is working on the pictures so we will have them posted soon .

well have a great evening & I'm sorry so many missed out of the fun :(

susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

They do not know what they missed right? Take care of your habds and rest. Ronna

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I had a WONDERFUL time. I am glad they let me out of the farm prison to come and
socialize and play with plants and friends at least once a year. I surely do love it. I am
very glad Ronna got that strange bulb. What a great prize! Can't wait to see what grows.

I have just started today to categorize and label my new plants. We were fencing the
chickens in today, finally, finally got it done. 6 foot high chicken wire. I just realized,
the ducks are still out somewhere. OY. I thought I was going to be DONE with this junk.
I have to get them into the chicken yard so I can uncover the fountain pond, I have
chicken wire and trellis fencing over it so they don't go in it and poopy.

I loved the cookies that Birdie made, thank you very much. It was so appreciated. I thought
I died and went to heaven with them cookies. Its been over a year since I had one. My goodness
those raisin ones were mouthwatering. Everyone else brought yumdiddle e dishes cookies too,
there were even M&M cookies!!!!

I have some questions about the plants:
Viola: any variety named? where did it come from? is it a seed perennial sort?
Centaurea Gold Bullion: what variety is this?
"Pink Mum" does anyone know anything about this Dendranthema?
Yellow Margurite Daisy: What family is this? What variety?
Artemisia: are you SURe its a Silver King? LOL
Rudbeckia is this a fulgida? (the black eye susan)
Campanula 'Pink Octopus' what variety is this please? cannot write a label without knowing.

I also have some plants that I forgot what they are.
I recognize the lily of the valleys and the hostas, but I have some, I will take
a picture, maybe someone will recognize it and say, HEY! I have its sister!!!

I thought the day went beautifully and everyone was so happy to be there. I personally
went home with a lot more than I came with, although my garlics were well received.
If anyone wants more, let me know, I can put some in the mail for you.

I thought the lady Pat was so funny, she didn't want anything to go home with her, but
she wound up happily taking home a pick up load of new and fresh ideas and plants. LOL!!!

I was so tired last night, I had trouble resting and getting to sleep. I finally hit the hay in
my rocker swivel chair with a footstool. so much bending and lifting make my hips do the
macarena and its hard to lie down.

I am happy to say that 4 of my watercolours sold and almost all the eggies, 8 dozen sold.
Too bad DH had to sell them for $1.50 a dozen. Thats rediculous. Fresh, clean, no salmonella,
freer range, happy, uncaged, organic,humane certifiabled chickens and eggs. Low cholesterol
and high omega from the feed we use. All that for $1.50. I think in the health food store, not
even that great an egg is over 3$ a dozen.

My girls went broody, so I had to shut down the chicken house and now the nest boxes, till
they get back on track. I read some of the stories of the members here who have chickens,
and the trials and tribulations we go through for these chickens is too funny.

Sheri : )))

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Sheri, I need to buy 1 or 2 RELIABLE broody hens Got any for sale?

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes, I am wanting to replace my Buff Orpingtons back to my Dominiques.
The Buff Orpingtons and the Black Jersey Giants are both great sitters.
I have two that don't want to leave the nest for nothing, you have to remove
them physically to get them to go eat and drink.

Make me an offer I can't refuse and come and get them.
I am home today and every day. I don't drive/have car so I am prisoner
here with chickens.
Sher

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Sher you need to learn how to drive and get a car!
I'd go nuts if I could'nt get out to go shopping once in awhile.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

What? Wiggly Paw you don't drive? Wow I thought everyone drove. You are right Cottage Rose I would go crazy also.. You live in a small town where you can walk every where like I do? It sure was fun meeting you Sheri. I will have to plant the bulb soon. It is a shade bulb correct? Ronna

Well I Findly Got all my Plants planted & Ronna I Even Found a great spot for my new little bike :))) I will show you tomorrow if the sun shines :0 they say maybe rain & I sure hope so . My hose won't reach my new plants & I spill most the water before i get to them :( .

just wanted to share a small movie with you hope you enjoy :)

its a movie of my babies 1st fishing trip :) he actuall caught one :)

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/MUSCOVY%20DUCKLINGS/?action=view¤t=4104a781.pbw
well have a great evening .

Birdie is editing the pictures so please be patient :)

good nite all

susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Very cute susie!

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Ronna
I don't know anything about that huge bulb. Check it out online.
Elephant ear or I think it is a Calocasia there is also a Alocasia,can
you believe it?
They are tropical, so you will have to bring that puppy in for the
winter.
Good luck.
I have always wanted one, but I am glad you got it. I thought it
was a fun gift to give a gardener like us.
Sheri

TY Ronna : I could not resist they were so cute running after the one with the fish in his mouth . then daddy came & swiped it from him :(

well i got some seeds planted today & I Pray we get some nice rain tonight :) & hope the seeds will sprout :))) .

I would love to plan a Luncheon For One Day In JUNE Anyone else up to it ??????

How about OLIVE GARDEN ON 28TH St In G.R. ?????? Now Just Give Me a Date that Is Good for all .

I SHOULD SAY WHAT DAY Of The Week IS BETTER for you I'm Open to any

cottagerose ???
Birdie ????
Ronna ????
LEANN ????
SHELBELLE ?????

WIGGLY You Can alway ride with me If you like to go
JUST LET ME KNOW MY FRIENDS

SUSIE

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Here are a few pictures............I've got lots more I'll post soon, along with a "Special" VIDEO I'm working on. We had a bit of family problem early this morning I'll be back Thursday. Birdie

Thumbnail by 1Birdie
Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

oops problem with pic/ i'll resend

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Susie.... these are my days off:
june 4th
june 9th
june 18th
june 23rd
so far those are my days off in june. Lunch would be great. Ronna

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Okay, here is a" teaser" from the Freeport Spring Swap '09,hosted by Deejay (Susie)

Thumbnail by 1Birdie
Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

and another

Thumbnail by 1Birdie
Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

and to view the whole album just click this link.the video will be coming soon

http://picasaweb.google.com/fawnkimmel/DirtDigSwapSPRING09?authkey=Gv1sRgCJa1pp2jo_GVHw&feat=directlink

and be sure to click on "Slideshow"

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

also just a reminder.we all decided on a "Fall Freeport Swap '09 on 10/03 ?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

sheri..................Artemisia: are you SURe its a Silver King? LOL

i'm pretty sure, but i'll look it up again.

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

10/3 the third day of Bow season, I don't think so have fun.

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

It looks like the Dirt Diggers had a grand time! Thank you so much Birdie for sharing the great photos with us. The plants all look so healthy & happy. Where do you ladies find all of the energy? LOL I hope that you got all of your new plants into the ground as we have had perfect weather for new transplants here.

Job well done Diggers!!!

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen this wasn't part of the Dirt DIggers .This is Just a Loco Plant Swap That I have Hostessed For The last 3 years Its Small But Many Do Bring Very nice Plants to share .

I My Biggest Joy Most Of All Is Watching Everone Scatter for Plants :) Not Knowing What To Take 1st :) For there is so many to choose from. To watch them run into each other or grab for the same plant :)))

I want To Thank you all for making it so much fun & Hope to see you At the Fall Swap . As For The Date & Time
OCT 3rd Is Not Rote In Stone as Of yet . So Please Keep watch ..

Joe I wouldn't Dream Interfering with hunting :)

BIRDIE : Ty For Putting Together All The great Pictures . .

for anyof you that might like some great plants & Like to swap we have a Monthly Swap going on just click on the link & check us out .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/993893/

well I still love to chat over here on this anytime But When we Decide about the Fall swap We will post a new thread .

Thank you all again for making this another Great swap .

susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well duh! I am not doing something right! I can not find the photos in the file!!! Ugh. Something isn't working for me. I see the family and other photos but no swappers! Ronna

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

nope its not you Ronna..........I don't know what happpened. Try the above link

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Birdie that worked. You are a great picture taker and editer!!! You couldv'e edited me right out of there!!! I do not ever like my photos. I am very nervous about having the wedding photos taken!!! Yuck. But Susie you are very photogentic. All of your photos are great! :) Ronna

Thumbnail by gardenlady123

YEAH RIGHT !!!!!
ALL MY WRINKLES ARE GOING SOUTH & LEFT ME MIND IN THE NORTH : )
LOVE YOUR LITTLE TIN MEN .

OK I NEED DATES AS TO A GOOD TIME TO MEET IN G.R FOR LUNCH
RONNA IS GOOD FOR ANY OF THESE DAYS
june 4th
june 9th
june 18th
june 23rd

I 'M AVAILABLE ANY TIME.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND ALL

SUSIE

Sand Lake, MI

Birdie,
Very nice photos. Thank you for sharing with us all.

Susie
A quick question about something I received from you. You said they had blue flowers but didn't know what they were. Do you know about when they bloomed and in the shade or sun?

I still have 2 lone plants to plant. The garden for those isn't ready yet. Guess I should get outside tomorrow.

Thanks, Leann

leann
I found what they are & boy do they spead so just a tip not to put them where you would not want them :(
this picture looks purple but my flowers are more of a blue .
i love the color but don't like the spreading:( I can get you more in the fall if you want.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.em.ca/garden/campanula_glomerata1.JPG&imgrefurl=http://em.ca/garden/per_campanula_glomerata.html&h=392&w=285&sz=56&tbnid=FTBpOU4gsyeADM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=89&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcampanula%2Bglomerata&hl=en&usg=__sUwdQ69guoPHGOerfXJwcKpmVMo=&ei=qxAhSqjTO4HAyQXNl62wBg&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image

well they call for rain today but the sun is out right now so going out to play .
have a great day .

susie

Grand Rapids, MI

Oh my, what a busy week! I had so much fun at the swap! Thanks everyone and thanks Birdie for the pics (and i LOVE my journal!!) I got all my goodies planted out and now am working on making room for more!!! Uh oh :-) I can probably make lunch on any of the dates... although weekdays get out of control for me sometimes...

Shel

Sand Lake, MI

Thanks Susie, I know what they are now. I put in a few last year so they haven't started to spread yet but I am keeping an eye out. Leann

WELL DANG IT ALL without looking at ronna's days off I just signed up to do farmers market on TUES * THURS
from 9 am - 5 pm my 1st one is this tuesday but i did tell them if I don't do well the 1st day then I will not commit to thursday so will let you all know soon .

does this photo look formilure ?? I've only 65 plants on there right now . More to load tomorrow so got to get off here .
took a few pictures today thought i would share with you all

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/SDB%20OF%2009/

Good Nite all

susie

Thumbnail by deejay9
Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Plant Day in Hastings next weekend, on Saturday in the courthouse park.

Bring and plant and go home with another plant.

Bring some questions, MSU and extension/MG will be there.

Bring a plant to demonstrate your special techiques with it ie; dividing day lilys?
pruning a rose? etc.

It is a combined swop and tell.

Sheri

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Susie I called you on Wednesday and spoke with your mom? I asked her to please let you
know I called, and for you to give me a call back. I guess you didn't get the message?

anyhow, I would love to go to Grand Rapids, am free most days. Susie or someone
else, can you pick me up on the way up to Grand Rapids please? I can chip in for gas $.

Sheri

Sheri : When I get a day set with everyone to meet I will be sure to pick you up. as for the phone call Margaret said
I got a call but she does not write down names so then I do not know who call.
Most the days I'm out side from 8am to 7pm most days with maybe 15 mins for lunch but please anyone haven to call me I will start carring my cell Ph with me out side it is 269-809-9969 If it is rainy days like today I get to rest & take a break :))) & You can reach me at 269-945-4323 .

so sheri call me when you can & Fill me in on the plant swap & chat at the court house .

I welcome the rain :) we need it or should say our Gardens need it .

well maybe some work here in the house " might " get done today :)

susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

susie, can you fill me in on the Tuesday, Thursday sign up information on the Farmers market? Is that Hastings?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey susie it is hard to get everyone together at once. So if you are busy then thats fine to go on a day I work I can always join in another time... Ronna

RONNA NOPE IT ALL OR NONE :)))))

Birdie I will call you after I get daddy some lunch here in a bit .

susie

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Birdie, it is me who does the Farmers Market.

*************Spring Fling*****************

Plant exchange and landscape demos from 10 AM to noon Sat June 6th Barry County Courthouse lawn
(intersection of M37/M43)

Bring a labeled potted landscape plant and exchange it with someone else, take advantage of
landscape-related demonstrations and get gardening questions answered by local experts.

Demos will be from 10 to 11 AM, and plant exchange will be following, till noon.
There will be a RAFFLE at noon and participants will have their names entered for a chance
to win Barry Bucks. (I don't know what this is, but I guess you can shop local with them)

MS Extension MG will be there to perform demos and answering your questions.

For more information: call Barry County Chamber of Commerce at 269- 945-2454 or
email hastingsmarketmaster@gmail.com

Sound like fun!
There is a vendor lady, "A little bit of Heaven" who grows her plants in Christs name who
also has been through the landscaping program of MSU at Lansing, and she is quite
knowledgeable, and does landscaping consulting, large or small. She grows huge perfect
Proven Winners and they are for sale at much reduced prices than any nursery around.

There is also a perennial lady, lovely perennials and then there is a herb/local/natives/hosta
lady too.

I am the only one selling dried herbs, watercolours and my farm eggs. I made a deal with
a local restaurant to sell him all my garlic, so this way, I don't have to beg the public to buy
my crops. I don't like having to sell to the public. Some people do, but I am more of the
wholesale mind set.

Well, gotta hang laundry, put the horses in and defrost a chicken.

I put in some flowers yesterday and today. salvias, poppies, etc.
hope they grow, its Michigan.
Sher

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.