NEW 2009 " FREEPORT SPRING SWAP"

Plymouth, IN(Zone 5a)

Hello all! I'm new to this part of the forum but have been a member of DG for about 10 months. The area I'm in seems to be a bit betwixt and between most of the "local" gardening boards. Would someone slightly "south of the border" be able to play here? I'm about 25 miles south of the state line not too far from South Bend.

I'm involved in a seed swap right now and know I'm going to wind up starting way more plants than I can use myself. A swap sounds like a great opportunity to share all the wonderful new plants I'm planning to have in a couple of months. It will also be a great way to calm my boyfriend down when his jaw hits the floor after seeing all the seed starting trays I'll have in a couple of weeks. "But honey, they're not ALL staying here!" ;)

"South of the Border"
aka Melanie hehehe

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome Melanie. You can come play on the Michigan forum any time you want. All are welcome here. So, what knds of plants do you have seeds for? What is your favorite? I'll be doing some seed starting too but not till April. This will be an experiment for me. My plant growing unit is banished to the unheated bunkhouse out back so I'm hoping by April the heat from the lights themselves will be enough to keep it from getting too cold in there. It's a small bunkhouse at 10' x 16'. I hope it works since I don't want to spend the electricity bucks to heat it and there is no room in my tiny house to put that great big plant growing unit. I'm growing all vegetables. I might grow one tray of annuals for my pots. My flower garden is all bulbs and perennials.

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome Melanie...glad to have you here. You sound very ambitious. I do not do well with seeds. Would rather buy a plant and see the nice foliage immediatly. I am lazy that way.
But I envy people who do well with the seeds. Im sure if I could have a veggie garden then I would buy seeds. But to much shade here for the veggies to grow ;(. So I have to be happy with the hostas and toad lilies and other shade perennials. Thats just fine. Ronna

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi Melanie,I ALSO love the seed thing!! Do you use lights? Birdie

Plymouth, IN(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the welcome!

This is going to be my first year starting flowers from seed. It's not going to be a very hi-tech set up I'm afraid. I'd love to set up shelves with lights or use heat mats, but I don't think any of that is going to make it into the budget this year. My boyfriend and I just bought a new house last spring. I waited a year to see what was already here...okay... I didn't entirely wait. I couldn't help but buy a few plants last summer! There is so much more space here to plant than at our last house, that's why I'm going to try seeds. I can get so much more of the plants I'd like to try that way.

I've been putting together a list and spreadsheet of the seeds I've collected so far.
bachelor button
black-eyed susan vine
canterbury bells
celosia "Pink Flamingo"
coleus - 2 varieties
cosmos
datura
lobelia "Crystal Palace"
mexican sunflower
mimulus
monarda
morning glory - 4 varieties
penstemon
poppies - 8 varieties (can you tell I like poppies?)
painted tongue
shasta daisy
snapdragon (a tall mix that is supposed to reach 36")
spiderwort
sunflower - 4 varieties
sweet pea - 3 varieties
toad lily
verbascum "Rosetta"
zinnia

Sheesh! That looks like an awful lot. I know I'm forgetting a few. And that's not including whatever I get from a seed swap I'm in. hehehe

I have winter sowed a few of the above and will likely do a few more if I can round up some additional containers. Then I have to decide which ones I'll start inside and which ones I'll wait and direct sow outside later.

Brenda, your bunkhouse sounds neat! It's nice that you have a place you can get set up. I'll be starting some veggies indoors as well. Love my tomatos. Not sure what else I might try this year. It's hard to wait until April to get them started isn't it?

Birdie, I won't be using any lights this year. Hopefully I can get a better set up put together for next year. What are you growing?

Ronna, plenty of hostas here too! The previous owner planted hostas is about every bit of shade we have. Some of them were huge last year, I should probably divide them. And toad lilies! I've always loved them but this will be my first year trying to grow them. All that shade needs some more color. :) What other shade perennials do you grow? I could use some ideas.

Melanie

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome Melanie
If You Have a sunny or well lit Bedroom with lots of grow lites or florestent even & lots of shelves You should do ok :)
indoor But You Will find starting to early can make some plants to lanky & some won't transplant well .

But If You Find You have way to many Please feel free to bring some to the swap :) LOVE To have you join us ,
your about 2 hrs from us Nice drive for a saturday morning :) Or Bring a camper & I can hook you up :) the night before :) .

Also you can share your Extra Hostas :) Columbines like some shade also along with some Dianthus .

well i have to get busy you all have a great day .

susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh lets see I have some hurcheras, jack in the pulpits, white sweet woodruff (ground cover), lots of primroses, ligularias (my favorite), foam flowers, crocuses, wild ginger, japenese painted fern, ostrich fern, dutchmans breeches, solomon seals, japense grass, sedge grass, obedient plant, and on and on. Its been a while for me to see them. Im trying to remember all of them. Oh epimediums, (red and yellow), shade clematis. I thought I had a photo of them but I mustv'e deleted it. So many I can not remember them all. But I like them. Oh of course my bleeding hearts!! I better stop it makes me tired to think to much. LOL. Ronna

Ronna
I Would love any of these that you might have extra of :) any clematis & the epimediums :))

Gn All
susie

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello Susie and all,
I am hoping you are all well and excited about Spring. I have not started my seeds yet but tomorrow
is the day. I am starting several trays and putting them in the upstairs windows w. Fluorescents.
Then when i really get a move on 1-2 weeks i will be plugging in the heat bench. It is a 8'x4' raised bench with light under (for heat) and lights over for growth.
Better get a move on so I have some veggies to share. I am growing some Heirlooms this year.
I will have extras.
Melanie.. don't forget ferns for the shade. Also many Heucheras and i have Knock Out Roses in partial shade and they go bonkers!! They do real well. It is a little known secret they prefer to be out of the strong sun and do well in partial shade.
Julie

Julie
SO Good to hear from you :) Also wanted to let you all know that I will have about 10 ECHINACEA "sunrise BIG SKY" & 10 Sundown BIG SKY for trade also .
has any one any of the other news yet like

COCONUT LIME
TOMATO SOUP
SUMMER SKY

I hope to start a few seeds this month also but think I will wait another week or so .
I'm so ready for spring wish I could Blink & Make it happen :) ,
you all have a great weekend .

susie
ECHINACEA SUNRISE BIG SKY

Thumbnail by deejay9

WOW Been awhile since I last posted any up-dates in here so guess I better wake us up:)

So Far I have over 100 irises to make room for this summer . I wish they wouldn't have all these great deals out there :)

I'm so ready for Spring these sunny days are still so cold but it gives me hope Spring is close By :) .

Have you all been planting anything yet ?? love to hear what you have planting.

will get my list ready later .

well have a great day & birdie love to meet for coffee one day .

susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello there how is everyone? I enjoyed the sun shine so much toady!!! Wonderful. Want it to warm up so I can play outside. My crocuses and tulips and even some tulips are starting to break the surface!! Can see a tiny bit of purple! Planted so many new crocuses last fall can't wait to see the work..... I have the weekend off and am going to look at Brides Maid dresses with the bride! Sounds fun huh? Should be fun can't wait to see the taffitta! Ronna

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

im bringing some hellebores, named tb irises, some daylilies, and whatever else i can dig up.

Ronna Hope you had a great day Looking for Bridmaids Dresses So Glad I don't have to go through all that :)
I will sometimes got to the weddings when they are in the area or just send Gifts if they are out of state :) .

Flow : Kiddo I'm So Bad at name & when you don't sign on the forum I just cannot remember please do remind me :)

Jazz : Hope All is well up your way . I See you have started planting A few seeds Hope you might have a few Saved For me :) .

I went to the well pit yesterday to chek on my Dahlias & Had a few that wanted to sprout so I brought them up & Potted them all . So Now I have 33 potted plants here in the house :) TUBERROSES Also
I think many of you might know that great gal GRANNYMARSH & The Great dahlia Beds she has Well she & I did a swap last fall , for i have a friend here in town who also wanted some dahlia's :)
Now I can Only pray they will be ok this early :)

Melanie: Hope you saved room on your Kitchen table to feed Hubby So he can Have the strinth to help you plant all those New plants :) Hehe sure would like to meet you at our swap I know it would be at lease a 2-3 hr drive for you but your welcome to come & bring hubby .

bizzie11 : Brings her hubby & he sure was helpfull look forward to them again this year .

Birdie : Have you made it through page one of my Daylily Album ???? Not heard from you in a few days :)

Joe : I sure Hope that you & your wife will be able to come Join us for the day :

Wigglepaw I/ Sheri I Know for sure she is going to be there for she is one that TWISTED My Arm To Do this again this year so she better be there :)) :)) DID YOU Hear me ???

well i need to go out & enjoy the sun a bit . have a great day all .

susie

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Susie,
I just went thru all on your have list and wanted to say, you must have some beautiful garden beds ^_^ Loved them all.

Connie

TY CONNIE COME JOIN US I LOVE TO SHARE & HAVE PLENTY :)

SUSIE

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Have no clue where Hastings is?

20 miles north of Battle creek & we are about 25-30 mis south of Grand rapids :) never heard of lasalle where is that ??

Looking forward to it all!
Michelle

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Its a little town between Monroe Mi. and Toledo Ohio,
Just before Erie Mi. We are the bottom of the thumb LOL

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I am getting all the seeds planted. I may have plants up for this, if not, they
they will be getting pots of soil, with a hope of a plant! LOL.

About 200 so far, and thats just the veg. Haven't even started on the
perennials and annuals, the herbs, or the annuals yet.

I am running out of planting little pots. We bought new soil today and
about 5 flats of pots.
Sher

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

susie, sorry you haven't heard from me. my hubbys knee replacement went great, but he "tryed" to have a heart attack in recovery!! we're home now and doing well. i had to relook up your address, but i sent out the money yesterday. :)
how about you and me and gardenlady (ronna) setting up a coffee date? the end of next week should work for me. how about you guys?

Birdie No problem Just happy to know Hubby is doing fine .
I'm free on friday 20th or sat 21st How about you all pick the place & i will be there .
love to chat with you all.

sher : wow your planning a huge garden :) can hardly wait did you plant tomato seeds ?also is now a good time to plant the tomato seeds ?? if so i better get them in :)

after yesterdays weather I'm just SO Ready for Spring went down & got my fenceing for my kids :) (DUCKS)
so hope to get that up this week :)

well I need to go read my mail so have a great day & Birdie Please give me a call about our get together.

susie

Plymouth, IN(Zone 5a)

deejay9, I managed to find a shelf unit at a very reasonable price so the kitchen table has been saved! hehehe I'm picking up my seed starting supplies a little bit each week and will get started on planting them in the next week or two. I'm afraid to start too early and have them get leggy.

I am hoping to make the swap, but not sure if my boyfriend will come with me or not. Plants aren't really his thing. hehehe Although I might be able to bribe him into coming if we take a detour on the way home. There are a couple of restaurants in Michigan that he really likes. :)

Melanie

MELANIE
I do hope you can make it.we have lots of fun at these swaps :) I Haven't started to many seeds either .
they say we have snow flurries out there today but i do not see any yet :)

Oh yes the way to the mans heart is to feed him right :) so if that is what its takes go for it :) .
Burr cold out there .
not sure why but I'm looking forward to this swap more so then the last :) guess because of all the great gardeners I met at the last swap :)

well i need to get out of here you all have a great weekend love to hear from you all :)
susie

There is another great swap in Ann Arbor the weekend before this one i think. Anyone know about it?

I didn't know of it can you give us more info if I had someone that wanted to go I would go just for the ride :) & to see how they run theirs swaps :) but i do not know ann arbor never been there .

let me know if anyone would like to buddy up to go :)

susie

Let me go find it. be back in a minute.

Here is the flyer i found. http://www.thegardenfaerie.com/plantswap.pdf

Well I Sure Do not think it would be worth the trip to me it would take at lease an Hr for me to get there & at lease 15-30 mins for me to set up my plants & then that only gives me 15 mins to find the plants I would like & then 15 mins to pack up & drive back home :( A One Hour Swap . Never Heard Tell . there is no way I could set up plants & get to know my friends in just that one hour .

our swap last spring I had set-up time from 10am till noon for anyone who had a long drive.
we all had a Picnic lunch together from 12-1pm & chatting . What fun :)

then from 1pm til 2pm we swapped plants & was done & Packed up all by 2:30 No One was rushed & everyone TOOK Home Some really Great plants :)

Anyway I Think I will Pass On the ann Arbor Swap :) 1hr is just to much rush for this old lady to attend :)

well you all have a great week it is sunny this morning & I have to go feed :)

susie

THat is a quick one isnt it. I didn't even notice that. The garden tour would be fun though. I will probably not attend either because its a 3 hr drive for me.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

susie, or anyone who might know, where i can i get large quantities of peat, at a reasonable price? Bird

well I Bought a huge bag at wal-mart when it went on sale last fall but not sure if they would have it on sale at this time but sure they should have some .

as for buying by the yd you might check out Plant NURSIERS.
Hope this helps

susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Susie, where is Plant Nurseirs located?

well there is cotants south of Hastings or there is 2 north of middleville
creekside or cherryvalley . you maybe closer to go down toward kalmazoo not sure . of ones down that way . I do know that ace hardware
lawn & Garden has it in huge bags now sure the price .
hope this helps ya :)

susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

I had just found Ace has it in large quantities. I hesitate using it because its so debated by some, as stated in a recent article I was reading.

"Peat bogs are seen by some scientists to be as important and fragile as rainforests, and that’s where the concern lies about the use of peat moss by gardeners. Peat companies are destroying these fragile, unique and valuable bog ecosystems by removing the peat." natural life magazine

Some one always has to find a problem with one thing or another thats Why I use mostly all my natural dirt in the gardens leaves from the woods . & Plop the plants in the ground with the amended soil . if it grows that is a huge PLUS for me But If it dies
then it is a act of MOTHER NATURE . & Not ment to grow here .
Good Luck with your search :)

susie

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey Susie, I like the way that you think! :)

Mary Ellen

well if you have woos out around you then there is the best compost you will find for your gardens & You will noty be hurting any trees.
Just a rich dark soil :)

Well I have been baking alday Tomorrow we have a family get together there will be about 60 of us & I just hope the weather won't turn bad till late in the day .

I'm ready to crash so i can Get rested before tomorrow . so GOOD NIGHT ALL :)

susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

i don't really "need" the peat. When I walk out my back door I see our 80 acres of hay, corn ,and woods. With our draft horses munching on some of that hay. Along with them is chickens, narragansetts, and peacocks. So as you can see, I pretty much live in the "middle" of a compost pile. No wonder it smells funny!! :)
Bird

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.