Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #24

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Terese, since he's got it listed as half hardy annual, I'm sure they'll work!

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Ella, I was hoping to see my seeds in my mailbox today, too. Didn't think about the po possibly being closed today for the holiday. "patience is a virtue" I keep telling myself.

Tonya

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Neal, I found some info on the mask flower also, about the same.

Wind, we're using the Google spreadsheet for the germination info I'm collecting with Lala:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=ptKk7FNDx_-LNbZM431UzDQ&hl=en

Not super powerful, but does what we need it to.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Ella, yep, the PO is definitely closed today. I don't know about tomorrow though, I would expect it to be open as it's not an official Federal holiday.

I tried to get to sorting my seeds last night but have to admit I was too worn out, so I've begun spreading them out this morning - just got to make sure I don't spill my tea...

Kelly, that spreadsheet is wonderful!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm just adding some final info to my huge spreadsheet... i'll see if i can upload it to that google thing.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

You know, I was just looking at the spreadsheet and saw the Dianthus and realized that's a WS candidate, is that something that would be helpful in this spreadsheet?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Robin -- i collected some seeds from my "micro chip". i sort of recall Jill stating she thought they were sterile.
I got my seeds from Burpee i think... but i was gonna WS mine and see what happens. I did WS the original seeds.. .and they did quite well.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Has anyone grown Oriental Poppies from seed? I saw that it does not transplant well, should I just direct sow them? I never have good luck direct sowing seeds.

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Dryad, I'm thinking about adding in the 'alternate' column what other methods are good. Right now, if something is definitely not recommended for inside sowing, we've put the recommended method in instead.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Meredith... i do not think any poppy like to be transplanted... but if you do it when the roots are still small... they should do just fine.

I think Karen said the same thing.... since they are so cold hardy, you can get them out before you could most your other seedlings... Or do them in like, Cow Pots.. then the roots are not disturbed.

I've WS'ed poppies... i just have to find out if they were "Oriental"or not.

Terese

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OK ... here is my file. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pFvffOeHPsTqxA3soSC3iaA&hl=en

and it took the whole thing.. so you can see the various pages [some of you have this file already] but i've really worked on the "2009 Seed List" page.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

I saw on a TV show, where a lady was transplanting poppies and she said the key was to transplant small (First set of true leaves) and plant it a little deeper(up to the cotyledons.) I wish I could find that info on the internet.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 11:22 AM

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I transplanted some poppies last year and it IS all about the roots - they really hate to be messed with. Same holds true for Tansy. They will take transplanting, but you have to be very careful with the roots if they're older, and make sure they don't dry out. In fact, the Tansy was harder than the Poppies were.

I didn't even look at that column Kelly - I had always just put "WS" in the column of "when" on my spreadsheet so I didn't look any further.

time for new thread

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

New thread!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/944466/

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

But I'm not done with this one! LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

LeBug,
Good to see ya! You have a lot of catching up to do and with all the great stuff going on and dail ups can only handle so much so gonna take a little time to catch up.
Just good to see you back!! And hope all is going well with Dad.
Blessing's
Carolyn

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Lea!! hope your dad is doing well. move on over to the next thread... the 'dial-up-ers' have a hard time getting these long threads to load....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.