Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #24

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

I got home tonight from Vermont. A bone chilling -18 without the windchill last night. Burrrrr! As were were driving home today, down off the mountains, you could see the car thermometer slowly go down the further south we got. Granted it was only 8 degrees. but it was in the positive territory!

I had to get caught up on all the posts.
Star, I'm glad your Dad is doing much better. Thankyou for taking us on the trip to the P.O. with you, That was fun :-). And, thanks for all your hard work! I can't wait to get mine. I got all excited knowing that they were sent. I asked my teenager if she got the mail when I was gone and she said "yes". It wasn't there. I noticed that MA had gotten there's and after a while, it started eating at me that maybe my teenager just said yes and really didn't check it after all. So I threw on my DH's coat on over my bathrobe that I had on. with damp hair, bare feet, in his big shoes and headed out the door to see for my self. Hopefully the neighbors wern't looking. I hobbled down my 250 foot driveway. It had to be 5 degrees outside if I was lucky. And that's when you find out you should have taken your kids word :-) A car drives bye. And you think "What an idiot", the whole way back to the house, freezing. LOL. I guess it will be there tomarrow.

Lebug. It's good to hear from you again. Take it easy and take care.

Gen. I hope you get some solutions for your son. My DH had neck surgery in his 20's. Make sure you get 2nd or even 3rd opinions. That is so important expecially for being so young. Don't be afraid to ask for one. A good doctor will tell you to get another also. There are things that my DH would have done differently if he knew better to ask. So, ask away and ask a few doctors. Information is your best weapon.

Andrea

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Andrea, soak your feet in hot water and do not go out to check with damp hair in those temps! My pkg. may have gotten here earlier because I've found the zip plus four is a very reliable way of getting your packages faster.
I'm not saying to trust your kid, but if your teen is like mine (or DH for that matter), they probably left the box in the car, and forgot to mention it. Hope yours arrives tomorrow.
You are absolutely right in your advice to Gen about her son's surgery. Knowledge is your best tool in treatment, so don't be afraid to assert yourself, get a second opinion, know your options.
Sorry to remind you dryad, but if I don't keep track, I'll forget. : (
I am so amazed, at all these beautiful seeds!
WSIB,
SW

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Glad some more folks got theirs.

Jay hope you and all the rest of the suviors get to see soem beauty again aftre all the distruction ya all had to deal with. May ya have many years of beautiful blooms and calm from the eather and may your hearts heal right aong with the land. Hope ya find somethign good in yoru box. You was the hardest since ya nevr oinked just aske d for seed. Anythign ya don't like, share ith the other surviors in yoru neighborhood or trae them on the sed tradgn forum for other seed ya can use to rebuild that wil do good in yoru area. I had to guess.

LOL. Singing Wolf. And here ya suffered piggy envy for most the day and ya got yours. : )

There was alot of creative piggie sthis year. it wa sso fun to get to see them all, and lov ehow alot of folks did their seeds. Heck mien was the most simple of seeds. got the names on the seeds and that was abotu it. next year I gonan start two months early and hopefulyl by then have a printer that works.

Ahhhhhhhh Andrea. Sorry you had to freeze. Don't worry I always look strange and especially in this cold. I don't care what the neighbors or town folks think. I knwo they thought I was the strangest lookign creature at the po. Had one white with stripes ski hat on and was so cold had a smaller purple one on top of it. and fuzzy slipepre dcrocs and have dozen sweaters on . Let em look I dont care as logn I can try and stay warm.

For thos of you in bitte rcold before ya trek to po, dmail me and wil giv eya confirmation numbers so ya cna check before ya go out. Don't want ya freezing yoru little hoofies and snots off. LOL

We not quite halfway their with piggy boxes arrivign so hoepfully tommorow an dmonday most everybody gets there.

Like I said if I made a mistake or ya don't like something or got questions, feel free to dmail me. Will not hurt my feelings at all.

I was just the messenger, thanks needs to go to all the piggies themselves for their generosity and all the Dg folks behidn the scenses that donated seed too for surviors and to Carolyn. Who while not here physically was here evryday and night on line with me helpignme figure out what seeds was what and what might go could in some of yoru gardens. And was kinda my backup secretary makignsure I seen all the posts and hopefulyl didn't miss none, and to thos ethat got the threads set up for me and kept them going. Everybody deserves to give themselves big hugs and each other for without everybody openign their hearts and gardens this swap wouldn't have happened. (((((((((((((((Big HUgs Everybody))))))))))))))

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Starlight,
Better known to me as Ella, you are awesome, always going above and behond. Loving to see others smiling and enjoying even though you are still making your paths in life. Thank you for mentioning me on here but we go hand in hand and I can just see all these smiling faces as they open there packages of joy. And can see the plant stands going up and filling to the brim and the windows such joy on the cold days. Stay warm all and singingwolf so happy to see you have yours, That made me really smile , and Lea sure glad your back on line , and can see you going at it, the woman that cn grow anything from seed.
Blessing to All and Warmth,
Carolyn

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6b)

Oink! Oink! Got my package tonight. Didn't know it was in the mail box. Down with bronchitus and didn't want to walk to the mail box in -5 degree weather, so DH went out tonight and braved the cold after I was reading everyones post finding out that the troughs were close by!
Star you are an amazing person! Thank-you so very much for all that you did. Enjoyed pictures of your PO trek. Glad your dad is doing better. Been praying for you and him along with Lea and a few others.
Thanks everyone for your prayers earlier. I finally got thru all the tests, had to delay them cause my DD was in hospital for pneumonia and I had grandbaby. I am able to control everything with medication and getting a pint taken every 6 weeks. So I am gonna be OK and can't wait til spring! I am going to have to figure out a way to talk DH into enlarging some beds or adding a few for all these wonderful little gifts! Thank-you all for your kindness. I have learned a lot from all of your tid-bits and piggy wisdom!
Stay warm!
MamawK

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh what fun sitting in my little nest last night sorting through all the goodies!

Lynn, that cute little seed bag will come in so handy- a great way to collect those dispersing, hard to get seeds! Thank you!

Been going through and placing packs that I have several varieties of one species or genus together in larger packets- easier to keep alphabetized that way. While gleefully going through all the Poppies I kept doing my Wizard of Oz witch voice.."Poppies!..Poppies will make them sleeeeep!" LOL......my SO doesn't think a thing about it anymore, my eccentricities are the norm around here these days.

So many of you added extra surprise goodies to baggies, on top of those extras Ella added and all those I oinked for and promptly forgot, so loads of joyful surprises! I'm so glad I didn't break down and order any seeds this year, I'm overwhelmed already! Thank You all so much- Y'all are the bestest Piggies ever :-)
Love and Hugs,
Neal

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

I can't wait to open mine-it needs to warm a smidge B4 I brave the outside!!

For those of you that want to know about starting, Suzy did a few threads last year-I copied them into word, and here is all I copied-hope it helps:) It is all based on her avg last frost date of 4/22

Annuals need a true head start. A 14-16 week head start-in Jan.

Angelonias (serena)
Begonias
Geranium
Lisianthus (Eustoma)
Lobelia
Pentas
Vinca
Pansies
Primula
Rudbeckia (annual-Indian summer)

Dates based on average last frost date of April 22 to get the sizes of plants a home gardener needs for set out. These are probably not the dates a commercial grower would use.

Begonia 'Bada Boom' — Feb week 1

Dusty Miller — Feb week 2
Gazania 'Daybreak Pink Shades' — Feb week 2
Gomphrena — Feb week 2
Hibiscus 'Luna Pink Swirl' — Feb week 2
Hibiscus 'Red Shield' — Feb week 2
Salvia farinacea (blue salvia) — Feb week 2

Alternanthera 'Royal Tapestry' — Feb week 2-3
Dianthus — Feb week 2-3
Digitalis — Feb week 2-3
Heliotrope — Feb week 2-3
Salvia splendens types ( red salvia etc) — Feb week 2-3

Angelonia - Annual (Grow with impatiens) — Feb week 3
Impatiens — Feb week 3
Nemesia - about 10 weeks before last frost, grow cool. — Feb week 3

Heliotropium 'Marine Lemoine' — Feb week 3
Osteospermum 'Asti White" — Feb week 3
Ornamental chilis — Feb week 3
Salpiglossis (Painted Tongue) - says Mar 1, but also says 10-12 weeks — Feb week 3
Torenia - 10-12 weeks before last frost — Feb week 3

Coreopsis— Feb week 4
Gaillardia — Feb week 4
Hibiscus — Feb week 4
Hollyhock — Feb week 4
Heuchera — Feb week 4
Milkweed — Feb week 4
Statice — Feb week 4

Marjoram — Feb week 4
Oregano — Feb week 4
Petunias — Feb week 4
Portulaca — Feb week 4 or Mar week 1
Marigolds — Feb week 4 or Mar week 1

Six weeks ahead of time, about March week 2
Six Weeks: Cutting Ageratum, China Asters, Celosia, Cleome, Coleus, Nepeta Catmint, Forget-Me-Nots, Dahlia, Helichrysum, Globe Amaranth, Nicotiana, Platycodon, Scabiosa, Snapdragons and Thunbergia

Salvia farinacea (blue salvia) 2/7
gomphrena 2/7
dusty miller 2/7
Salvia splendens types ( red salvia etc)- 2/14
impatiens 2/14 and 2/21
ornamental chilis 2/14
petunias 2/21 and 2/27
portulaca 2/21
marigolds 2/27
cosmos 2/27
celosia 3/3
zinnia 3/3
Gazania-Feb
Heliotrope-Feb
Cosmo-March
Coleus-March
Abutilon Bella Mix - says sow April 1, blooms in 80 days. (Mar 22)

Accroclinium - This species prefers direct seeding (May 1)

Angelonia (Annual) - Feb 14 (Grow with impatiens)

Aster (Annual) - Direct sow Apr 15, or start indoors Mar 15

Basil - Indoors Apr 1 or direct sow May 15. (Apr 1)

Bells Of Ireland - WS. It needs a week of cold, then to fluctutate between 85 and 50 degrees to germinate.

Brachycome (Swan River Daisy) Direct Sow May 1 (May 1)

Celosia - Needs heat; Do not sow before Apr 1st.

Heliotrope - slow; start indoors by Mar. 1st for July blooms.

Kochia scoparia (Burning Bush) - Easily grown from seed outdoors.

Lobelia Annual Dwarf/Trailing (Jan 25)

Lobelia Upright - 14 weeks (Jan 14)

Nemesia - about 10 weeks before last frost, grow cool. (Feb 12)

Nemophila - warm soil with bell jar and direct sow April 15. Cool season annual (Apr 15)

Nolana - Mar 1 for April 15 set out after frost (cool season) (Mar 1)

Osteospermum Hardy Annual. Cool Season annual, full sun. 80 days, but wants daytime temps below 75.

Phacelia Annual - Direct sow as soon as ground can be worked (needs hot, dry, full sun)(Mar 15)

Phlox Annual - Best thinly sowed in a flat and transplanted HOS. Weakest seedlings are best colors. (Mar 1)

Reseda odorata (Mignonette) - Direct Sow (May 1)

Salpiglossis (Painted Tongue) - says Mar 1, but also says 10-12 weeks (Feb 20)

Torenia - 10-12 weeks before last frost (Feb 12)

oooo-I also have my SS from last year I would be more than happy to email anyone that dmails me:)

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Fairy! That will help a lot. I'd already guessed on a few, and was right on many, way wrong on a few... better get my transplant pots ready ;=)

you are most welcome-I also bumped those thread to the top of the annuals forum:)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I have an idea to run past y'all. You know how you end up with WS stuff that are perennials or biennials that won't bloom till next year and have waited till last to get them in the ground? (....surely I'm not the only one that puts this years blooms at the front of the priority list, lol) A couple of years ago I ended up transplanting several into larger individual pots because my beds weren't ready and they really needed the room to grow. So this year I'm considering starting some of those things in 1/2 gallon milk jugs with only 3 or 4 seeds in the middle of each container. I'm thinking that way the plants will have plenty of room to grow happily till I can get them in the ground. Hollyhocks in particular I'm thinking, since they WS so reliably and it seems every seed germinates. And maybe some things like Everlasting Pea and Baptisia that don't like their roots disturbed.

What do y'all think? Any potential problems I'm spacing out on?

Sounds good-I usually do the things that don't like their roots disturbed in cow pots or paper pots so I can just toss em in the ground, pot and all....

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:

but if your teen is like mine (or DH for that matter), they probably left the box in the car, and forgot to mention it.

ROFL SW -- you have one of those too??

(Zone 7a)

apologies to those whose posts this crossed -

Neal, with regard to sowing just a few hardy perennial seeds in a milk jug to give us slow-poke gardeners (I really identify with you here) enough time to get them into the ground before too many seedlings crowd each other *out of the nest* - I think that would work especially well with the ones most root-hardy in your area.

The only cautions I can think of are:

1) be sure to get them in the ground at least 6 - 8 weeks before first Autumn frost, so that those roots can get a hold on the earth. Otherwise, in areas like mine, where there are alternating periods of freeze and thaw, the roots will be heaved up on top of the ground. I have found that some will still do well, if you patrol the garden regularly in the winter so you can poke the *heav-ees* back down again. I'll bet any late planting - come to think of it - would also benefit from having mulch applied AFTER the first freeze. This will help to keep the ground frozen around those new roots so that alternate freezing and thawing will be less likely to affect them.

Having said the foregoing, let me add that I've heard of gardeners who have unwittingly left iris rhizomes sitting out on top of the ground over winter, and those rhizomes came through just fine - I seem to recall that that was a zone 7 gardener.

And, then, one year back in the early 90s, we aquired a new neighbor who was the kind of neighbor we all should be lucky enough to have - he couldn't wait to start digging and planting out in his back yard with his own paws. He both loved and cared about people, plants, trivia, the planet - you name it. Anyhoo, one day in his first spring next door to us, he was on his side of the yew hedge digging away, and I was on our side of the hedge rooting about in the compost pile, when I came to a hollyhock root that had spent the winter in there supposedly composting. It was sprouting. I hollered over the hedge, "Hey, Jim! Wanna hollyhock root?" I heard "Sure! Toss it over". So the hollyhock root got tossed over the hedge, popped into Jim's garden, leafed out and bloomed later that summer.

Sooooooooo - thick rhizomes and tap roots that are vewwwwy hardy in your zone would probably be among good candidates for allowing to stay a good while in your wintersowing milk jugs.

2) I wouldn't do this with perennials or biennials that are border-line hardy where you live.

-------------------
off topic and forgive me for preaching to the choir - By caring about people, I'm referring, in particular, to the custom of some neighbors' sharing their telephone and email numbers with each other - not so much for extensive gabbing, but just in case there's an emergency. Well, one such emergency did occur with my very close friend, Maggie, who sometimes would go into life-theatening shock when stung by a bee. On the day that that happened, DH and I were out walking. But Jim was home and picked up the phone, and it was Maggie. He went right over to her house and saved her life. I hope y'all don't mind my bringing this up - we have some new neighbors who can't be bothered - they're probably not the only ones who think like this - it does matter.

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

I sat last night opening up and drooling over every single seed package - lovingly admiring it and getting so excited..."u u u u I really wanted this"!!! Then I'd think, oh ya - that's why I oinked for it. Hee hee. Then I carefully packed my box back up............um yes I said box, this little piggy had eyes bigger than it's tummy.

Later I decided to look back through again and realized that I want to start each and every one. I became very overwhelmed. Neal you said it exactly. I love nothing better than getting a gift from someone that is simple or hand made - from the heart. These little seeds are different than buying from the store because they came from YOUR garden full of your love and hard work....your treasure. And you shared them with ME. I was emotionally overwhelmed. You all shared a gift of love from the heart with me, whom you've just met and have never seen. My heart overflowed! Can we all do a big group hug? I thank you all so much. I know that as my plants grow I will be reminded of each person that gave me the seed...........with the help of my spreadsheet of course. ^_^

Terese - thank you SO much for the links! I'll be studying today for sure.

Stacey - thank you SO much for the info you gathered!! I copied it into my SS.

Ella - THANK YOU so much for your hard work and then taking the time to share with us in pictures. I know that adds even more work for you. I am gratefull more than words can say!

Big hugs and love to everyone!
~chele

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Time permitting... i plan to sit and write down every seed pack, then added them [if i had not yet done so] to my spreadsheet and to my "have" list and to the journal [which i am really gonna try and use this year]

I know i got back way over the 40 or so seeds i requested.....

So, I'm wondering if anyone is interested in a little project. I've taken a spreadsheet I got from Dryad, the info above from Fairy, and what I've done in the past. Put it all into a spreadsheet that lists them as weeks before last frost (so we can all reference for our own zones). Also added any seeds I have that aren't listed yet.

If anyone knows how to post a spreadsheet somewhere so that we can all edit it, or I can give everyone who's interested permission (I'll need email addresses) to access my google spreadsheet. We can combine info pretty quickly all working on one document...

What do you think?

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

kl ..... I'm thinking that I would LOVE to be able to see everyone's expertise. However, I don't know that I would want to be able to edit - afraid I'd mess something up. Hee hee.

Ok, anyone who didn't want to edit could just send me their corrections/additions and I could enter them.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Ella, the mail hadn't come yet by the time I got home from work yesterday. We have one of those big lock boxes at the end of the street, yikes! Too cold here, Ahi the Cat won't even go outside. Anyway, I will be checking the box this morning sometime. It's snowing again.
toofew

Hmm, looks like I can post a link to my google spreadsheet, but you won't be able to edit it... lets try! This is just a beginning. I'll move it over to the propogation forum I guess, and start a new thread...

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=ptKk7FNDx_-LNbZM431UzDQ

(Zone 7a)

Clematis

Germination

This is to everyone I sent clematis seeds to -

--lanuginosa (CannaGirl, ilovejesus, MamaWk)
--Nelly Moser (CannaGirl, Frausnow, ilovejesus, MamaWk)
-- ternuifolia (CannaGirl, ilovejesus, MamaWk, PamSue)

Seandor just let me know that the C. lanuginosa and 'Nelly Moser' seeds I sent her last winter have not germinated, so I thought this would be a good time to look at the germination of clematis. I have not germinated clematis seed myself - just sent out fresh seed, and this year, I have started sending only the largest, best-developed ones. I'm writing just by observation and using references below.

With regard to C. lanuginosa and 'Nelly Moser', there's two things to keep in mind:

1) they can take up to 3 years to germinate*

2) I have noticed a pattern among my various sources that say to sow the seed in the fall. Not January or February or March. There's a reason for that. Some types of clematis need alternating warm-cold-warm temps for germination, and Norm Deno** emphasizes that for C. lanuginosa in particular (don't know about 'Nelly Moser') the germination cycle needs to BEGIN with the warm cycle - IF that seed has been stored dry for 6 months at 70*F - which is the case of this seed by the time my piggy friends receive it some time around January - March.

So, here is Norm Deno's heavily paraphrased experience with germinating C. lanuginosa. The warm-cold-warm cycle worked best for him with seed dry-stored at 70*F for 6 months (like ours which I also collected in October). Each phase is for about 3 months, with optimal temps being around 70*F for the warm cycles and 40*F for the cold cycle. (Incidentally, seed of this particular clematis can also be dry-stored at 40*F, with similar results)

a) Warm Cycle: Soak the seed for about 3 hours in tepid water with a teensy dash of hydrogen peroxide (H202). Then, fold the seed with a coffee filter that has been soaked in the water+H202 solution and squeezed until barely moist. Then, place that in a baggie and hang it vertically in a window at around 70*F. When you see a root form (called a radicle), then pot that up and place the bottom-watered and drained pot inside another baggy.

2) cold cycle - expose to cold for 3 months - this will stimulate growth of a stem and leaves. Outside oscillating temps that include freezing are best, so put the pot outdoors to winter outside outdoors (but refrigerate if outside temps are not cooperating). Be sure to slash the baggie; otherwise, without the vents, the plastic baggie will cook the plant. The Ontario Rock Garden Society*** concurs with Deno, but emphasizes that the cold period should be the oscillating winter temps of outdoors)

3) warm cycle - leave the pot outdoors as temps warm up naturally through summer. A stem (actually hypocotyl, which is an embryonic stem) and embryonic leaves (called cotyledon) will appear after 1 to 3 months.

Never let the pot completely dry out. Even baggies "breathe", so from time to time, you will need to soak from the bottom and drain well.

Since both Nelly Moser and C. lanuginosa did not germinate for Seandor who wintersowed them the usual way, I would try sowing Nelly the same way as C. lanuginosa.

This is a good technique to learn, because there are some other scrumptious flowers few of us would willingly live without - like peonies and some lilies - that also form the root radical first, then wait, then sprout the stem and leaves and benefit from alternating cycles during germination - with some variation in technique, though, from this one.

--------------------------------

Clematis ternuifolia - better known as Autumn Clematis for its mighty clouds of tiny, fragrant flowers in late summer. I love it, but some gardeners feel about this vine the way they feel about kudzu - Ack! But, tidiness in the garden makes me itch, and I do love a little chaos 'mongst my posies. Since this one self-sows so freely, I think it might be the easiest one to wintersow.

-------------------------------------

References:

* International Clematis Society - http://clematisinternational.com/questoc03.html

** Seed Germination Theory and Practice, 2nd Edition, by Norman C. Deno
139 Lenor Drive
State College, PA 16801 USA
$20 (From time to time, he publishes updates, and is working on seed storage, last I heard)

*** http://www.onrockgarden.com/

--------------------------------------

apologies to those whose posts cross with this one - eye problems have been limiting my participation on the piggie threads

This message was edited Jan 17, 2009 3:14 PM

(Zone 7a)

ps - I kept the hellebore seeds in the refrigerator from the time I harvested them last summer to when I sent them on to Star. Hopefully, y'all will keep these refrigerated until you wintersow them asap - they do not keep in storage long.

I sent the seeds to: Dryad57, LeBug, Margaran, Meredith79, Starlight

Would love to hear how these seeds turn out. It really helps those of us sharing our seeds from our gardens to know what works best for those who plant them.

Karen

will be back later

Wow, that's complicated! Thanks for all the info. I've added a link in the spreadsheet to your post!

Here's the thread for the spreadsheet:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/943812/

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Happy dance, happy dance....my box arrived yesterday. I have spent hours looking through it, sorting, filing, planning....happy sigh! Thanks everyone for sharing....Star, you are phenomenal! I've already wintersowed about 60 milk jugs with seeds I had, but now...omg...I don't think I'll have enough containers. I'm starting my veggie seeds indoors and have a 5 shelf rack with 8 - 4 foot flourescents for those. I may not get to plant them all this year, so is it safe to put ALL the seeds in the fridge or the freezer; and, are there seeds you know of that should NOT go in the freezer?

JoAnn

Edited to correct a sentence.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2009 10:25 AM

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I confess to being very computer challenged (typing too)
Just wanted to thank all of you for posting information and links to info.
Very helpful and educational.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Frausnow, they need to be put in an air tight container first. I think the fridge is safer personally. I'd be afraid to put tropical seeds in a freezer.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

TwoFewAnimals.. Your piggy trough has arrived. It was deliveered yesterday whenever ya decide to brave the cold. LOL : )

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Danita! Will do.

(Zone 7a)

Frausnow - One more thing about storing seed in the refrigerator - when you take the seed out of the refrigerator, let the container of seed go to room temperature before you open it. Otherwise, there may be some condensation that might moisten the seeds - however minuscule - and add some vulnerability to fungus.

Always be sure your seeds are very dry before refrigerating them.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Danita is right. Put your seeds in the fridge. Do not store in the freezer. You will never find a seed company or seed place storign seed in freezer. It kills the embryos. Put in sealed container or in baggies and ya cna keep for years on end in fridge.

Cheles. You mad me laugh . I remmeber last year when some of us our eyes was bigger than our tummies. it was waddle or roll not walk to po to get boxes. hehehehehehe

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Fairy thanks for posting that. Saves me a bunch of time hunting for things I bought from co-op to try this year. : )

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Good tip Bluespiral.

I store my seeds in my small fridge from college. It is exclusively dedicated to seeds!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Y'all got me to thinking about seed storage and I did some googling. Most sites say 35-40F is the ideal range for unspecified seed storage. This site has some interesting tips on saving seed from various garden vegetables and storing them. One of several recommended options listed is freezing, which I was curious about because I've stored my seed successfully in the freezer for several years now (except for tropicals).

http://www.victoryseeds.com/information/brook_seed_saving.html

One lady even stored hers in open baskets in her seed room. She said that's how the natives did it for centuries. I'd have all kinds of rodents or cats messing with that, but the site of baskets overflowing with next years potential would be nice.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I keep my fridge seeds in the same spot as I keep the batteries - that way I know Nora won't go digging through the seeds :) And I also know that keeping the batteries in the fridge doesn't really make them last longer, I just always know where they are...

Star, you were so much more than just a messenger - you were the true conductor of this little symphony of seeds. It was so much fun to do an initial drive-by when the package arrived, today I'm going to sit down and go through the package seed by seed so I can update my spreadsheet and figure out which babies need to be started first.

Thanks to everyone for all the info posted above on starting, etc. Kelly, one thing you may want to add to your spreadsheet is whether or not the seed needs to start in the dark - some seeds really do want it dark! I don't think I had got that far with my spreadsheet before I sent that to you..... I chuckled when I read "complicated" next to Clematis - LOL! That's sure one way of putting it!

Thanks too, Karen and Fairy, for all the info. I can always count on you for great info. (Speaking of which, where's Critter?)

OK, I gotta get my act together here and get some seeds started today!
(Edited to correct doofus mistakes)

This message was edited Jan 17, 2009 12:48 PM

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Neal - you reminded me of something Suzy told me last year. She keeps iris and lily seeds in her freezer, and I think the blue poppies as well. I keep all my other seeds in the basement where the temps are always steady - I can't trust the fridge in the garage as it tends to freeze some things (a rather old fridge). And I keep the seeds in tupper boxes with those little bags of dessicant you get with shoes and stuff to keep the moisture out. So far, it's worked very well for me.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

The dessicant from pill bottles works good too. I have one big catalog here that has alot of seed i nit and has temps and whethe rneeds light or dark or cover or not too if anybdy not sure cna look in it for ya. May not be the xact same species, but wil be in the same genus if ya need to know.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Star you don't have to wait on me any longer. I couldn't stand it and went out and braved the elements for my envie. I have a list of "must do" chores today so I've not yet cracked the seal, for I know once it's opened I'll be hours...and hours....and hours going through the contents. Still, without even looking inside I want to give you a huge thank you. Co-ordinating an effort such as this is a monumental task. You are the best!

Stacy,many thanks for saving and sharing Suzy's tips. I've been hunting for some of that exact information........

Kelly there's a thread on the Seed Starting Forum where some one was asking if there was a place to reference "germination to bloom" time. I think that's what you're talking about too? Or part of it anyway? I would LOVE to have that information at hand. I've kept track of part of it, and have been making even more detailed notes on my spread sheet this year. I've really been digging into different websites looking for that information, and have been able to find the info on a few of the varieties I'm starting this year. Stokes has that information available for the seeds they carry and their site was quite helpful. I am all for a group effort to share any tips on germination time (I have always kept pretty good track of that) and length of time to achieve blooms.

Now I have to go get the icky stuff out of the way so I can later run my fingers through my new seeds!

(Zone 7a)

Neal, regarding your seed-saving link, I liked the way it brought up so many different ways to save seed. But, I'll bet that for each type of plant, there is an optimal way to save its seed.

For example, Norm Deno's tests have shown that dry storage of seeds of Eranthis hyemalis is fatal to those seeds. They are best sown fresh, soon after they have formed in their pods. However, moist storage at 40*F will work ("for many months, and possibly up to a year or more"), followed by germination with the 70-40 pattern (3 months at 70*F, followed by 3 months at 40*F).

There are other seeds similar to Eranthis, but with significant variations, so I won't go into them right now.

But, what a fascinating subject seeds are - enzymatic activity still goes on even after we dry them and tuck them into a paper envelope - goes for freezing, too. But then there are seeds that will be killed rather quickly by being stored dry or frozen.

So, there are a lot of variables that would be useful to incorporate into klstuart's database - whether light or dark works, whether dry-storage or moist-storage is best, what temperature works best for the seed while stored, is a cold-warm-cold or warm-cold-warm or warm-cold cycle best, does the refrigerator (constant 40s temps) work better than oscillating temps of outdoor winter - or vice versa? There are more variables beyond these.

The point is that one way does not work for all seeds. Even within some genera, different species are going to require some conditions for germination that others will not. The genus Campanula is notorious for that.

I had no idea how much there was for me to learn about this subject until y'all brought it up. Us piggies still have lots to learn from each other and our various experiences.

-----------------
I started writing this long before the previous few posts - hope I'm not being too redundant here.

----------------------

Yes! where is Critter? If being cooped up so much by this weather is giving me headaches, I hate to think what this is doing to Critter.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Critter up to her eyeballs being Miss Ppper queen of the year. her co-op has ended and she workign on getting the payment sheets and stuff up and makign sure all is ok and right with that. Sure soon as she gets that settled and up for folks that she be back her with us.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.