Happy New Year...Ti for Thee

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

AHA - of course...Potassium!!!! Apparently there are some fert manufacturers eliminating P from their NPK. Molassas would be a good additive.... Now the price of Molassas will go even higher. Will it be called NMK?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've abandonded the foliar feeding with mollases, and it could be that I used to much each time even though I went by directions. All of the good microbes it attracts is equally as good for the nasties..had increased fungus and increased diseases.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm still stuck on epsom salt and alfalfa pellets.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Now I'm all discombobulated...molasses or not? Dave, do you think it is any more efficacious than the plant foods with potasium...enough to risk the experiences that Randy had? I have been adding molasses, but noticed in increase in pests lately. don't know if it is because of the molasses, or our very strange weather, but now I can't help but wonder...

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm interested in that answer too. I used the liquid mollasses ..and stopped because along with the good feeding, it also fed bad stuff, funges and disease were promoted, and with that came bugs.

Keaau, HI

Along with the potassium, iron, & calcium in molasses is also carbohydrates; plants make their own carbs, critters don't!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aaahhh...!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I do add molassas to water, along with fish fert or chicken manure when preparing a bed to plant...get the microrganisms in there...good bacteria, worms...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

that's for root watering? I would do that

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yes...root watering.... It's amazing how the sugars seem to help the plants...give them little microbes something to eat.... I use a LOT of molassas!!!!

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Carol, What's your ratio for ground feeds? Ann

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

2 TBLspoons of each to a gal (4 litres) of water....more or less.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Thanks Carol.
BTW. The DPI guy (dept of primary industries) here told us applications of excess nitrogen in the Wet can feed Erwinia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwinia Ann

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Carol, my new Manini leaf is turning brownish..It came out perfect, but when it started to unfurl it's getting brownish..is it getting burned? I stuck it in a bed that has stuff to shade it, but the changing sun position is starting to go overhead.

Keaau, HI

Hey Randy, any chance that there is a lack of potassium where the banana is?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've given it some NITRATE OF POTASH...

Keaau, HI

Whoa! That's explosive!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

really? what would you recommend..fortuneatly my motto is a little is a lot.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Build a bonfire, burn some trashy wood and pour the ashes on the Naner....

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Always such great info here. Keep on educating us all ...thanks!

Yokwe,
Shari

el arish, FNQ, Australia

If you haven't got the time or wood according to my "Soils Alive " Potassium chloride or muriate of potash is %50% chloride and bad stuff. Potassium sulphate or sulphate of potash is much better.
We use the ash from winter fires around but it only stretches so far :)
Ann
ps Kelp can be up to 15% potassium!!!

Keaau, HI

K-Mag is easy on plants and provides two macro-nutrients!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

My vegie garden bed (I had the soil analysed) was low on K but high on Magnesium...so...what to add??? Oh Dave...what would we do without you?

Carol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I did take my list with muriate of potash written (from Carol) and they had everything of Potash except for that.
I used all of my ashes from my chiminea..mabe that's why it looked so good last year.
I have kelp..I'll try a little of that.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OK...I got some fert. with N and K and no P. Gonna work a but of that in!

Keaau, HI

Carol, K is potassium; P is phosphorus.

Don't forget that potassium goes out of the soil fairly quick; tropical plants use more potassium than other nutrients. Might be safer to have a well balanced fertilizer. Gaviota "Palm & Citrus" has a 2-1-3 / N-P-K ratio; that is good for most tropicals.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh my. None of that is available in my area.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Interesting, Dave...I didn't know that about tropical plants using more K than anything else. Why?

My vegetable garden soil came back analyzed as low in N and K so am adding something BEI recommended. (like 23-O-18). Anxious to see the results.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Breathe taking.

LouC

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Hello everyone....

I'm sorry I didn't find you guys earlier. I'm Kristy abd I'm the web master and editor for the International Cordyline Society. Check out the website at www.cordyline.org I think some of you have already had a look. We are updating it all the time, I currently have 100's more photos I need to put on. If only there were more hours in a day!!

I would like to clear up a few bits of information that I have seen posted wrong..... just so we all know the right information. All photos of cordylines posted have been Cordyline fruticosa, Cordyline terminallis is now longer a valid name. Although a lot of literature still refers to the Ti plant as Cordyline terminalis, this name is obsolete and now invalid. The correct name is Cordyline fruiticosa. Cordylines are known in Hawaii as Ti plants and yes Ti sounds like Tea.

Heck I know there was smore but I can't think now, but I am happy to join you all, I am very interested in Cordylines from all over the world. I have seen some wonderful treasures posted on here!! We have a growing membership in Hawaii and the US at the moment, it seems the love of cordylines is really growing. There has been a lot of named cordylines in here that are wrong... if you would like me to identify any for you let me know... : )

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me or you can check the FAQ's on the website or email me via the website. If you have any info to pass onto me, I would love to hear from you too.

Hope to chat with you all soon.....
Kristy

Here is something new to wet your appetite! This is a new one named Turkish Delight.

Thumbnail by CordylineMad

That's just gorgeous!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Welcome to DG Kristi, Big huge sigh here, Turkish Delight has such rich colors.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Just in time for some expert advice. Planted out my Ti this spring and now it is time to put things inside. Can they withstand a zone 8a winter in the ground? Guess what I am asking is , are they root hardy?

And of course, welcome to DG where the finest of the fine dwell.

Christi

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Kristy, and welcome! Glad to have you join us from the land of "down under".

Please do correct any of the Ti's that we have incorrectly named, it's always good to have an expert on board! Your Turkish Delight is well named - it's yummy!

Jenn

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh Kristi, I just couldn't resist......

From the International Cordyline Society site:

Quoting:
Cordylines like any nitrogen rich fertilizer, we suggest to use any chook poo based fertilizers such as Organic Xtra and add Sulphate of Potash to enhance colour.

What is a chook?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

A chicken!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks for info-

ROTFLOL!!!!! Chookenpoo, new term added to the Jungle Heights garden lingo!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Right...I had forgotten about 'chooks'...

Yes, Kristy...I would love to know your names for the Ti. It is my understanding that often Ti are given many names...for instance...C. shubertii is also known as 'Turkey Tail' and 'Hawaiian Flag'... I do try to keep them all with any Ti I grow....

Aloha,
Carol

Brisbane, QLD, Australia

LOL, everyone.... nice to feel welcome : )

Yes Turkish Delgiht is a newbie I found by a grower in North Queensland. He gave me the honour to name it and I thought the name was well fitting.

Lou C... yes they are tuff, cordyline have a tuber/rhyzome if it has matured enough, you could say this is their life support. You will be able to dig it up without any probs.... you can also cut the rhyzome up and create new plant without having to cut the top off your plant.

Ardesia.... yes is is chicken poo, chicken manure, chook poo, chook manure....LOL. ANyway you like it....

Carol, I must say I have never known of Schubertii called anything else till recently when I found someone calling it Fiji. As for hawaiian Flag, here is a photo attached of what is regestered as Hawaiian Flag. This is a great problem at the moment and it is something the club is working on fixing as there are a lot of errors out there.

Thumbnail by CordylineMad

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.