Happy New Year...Ti for Thee

I just found this big bloom on my Black Magic Ti

Thumbnail by
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Carol, look at you! I finally get a face to put with the name. I would love to go to Hawaii. My hubby and I are planning a vacation at the end of May. Maybe we could go then!

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

Cordyline's - Ti's - are common here as well. I see many of the same few in people's yards but occasionally I see one that is a little different. I just got this one yesterday. I'll take some pictures of the more commonly seen types and post them, perhaps they are not as common elsewhere.

Thumbnail by extranjera
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

That is a really nice one, extranjera. !!!!!

The Botanical Gardens here just got a very nice collection.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I scored a couple of Ti's today on our little nursery tour with
Patty(Phuges) Rita (Placentaria) Jerry (Texasbigleaves) and Christi (LouC)

It was a whirl wind shopping trip...after a week of 80F, we had high wind and cool temps today..kept blowing our plants of the wagons..(so you know they weren't small ones)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I just got a new one.... It is Red Sister that you all have on the mainland, but with a yellow edge around the leaf....will take a photo tomorrow....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I can see I am going to have to get busy with the camera and get some shots of the locals>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

YUM.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Just got home a bit ago. Discussion about the correct pronunciation of the "Ti" plant.

Help please.

Christi

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I read that you say 'Tea'?

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

That is my understanding too. Except the 'i' is very short. so not teeee but tee

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

You all sure know alot about Ti plants. I have been growing them for some time but there doesn't see to be alot of specific information about them.

I have a few questions if anyone can help?
-Are ti plants self fertile?

-How can you tell when the seedpod is ripe and about how long does it take till they are ripe?

- When they offset/pup (not sure of the proper terminology lol) do some cultivars commonly produce offsets that are different from the mother plant as well as some that are the same? For example, I have a kiwi that always makes 2 pups that are green with a hot pink edge and then it will make 1 that looks like kiwi and so forth lol.
Thanks
Lenette

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

also in league with Lenette's question....Carol you were telling me some process that the seeds need to go through or they remain dormant...right?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's one I got..it doesn't have a tag. There was sign on the row, but forgot to write it down with the pen I didn't have. :)

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I guess that one is Cordyline fruiticosa 'Willey's Gold in the previous..

and this one Cordyline terminalis 'Purple Dazzler'

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hmmmmm.... your Ti are lovely, Randy. That could be Wil'i'is (willy's) Gold...

Yes, it is pronounced TEA. Belongs to the Lily Family! I believe it is Cordyline fructicosa. The offsets (pups, keiki) can vary from the parent...and/or can be identical. The seeds are ripe when they are soft and should be 'smushed' out of the casing as the flesh of the seed pod can be an inhibitor to germination (when/if it passes thru a birds gullet it comes out 'clean'). I believe they can be selfed. All of the variations we see/have are all crosses...the original one being the green Ti - so none of the seed comes 'true' to the pod parent.

I love their undemanding nature...and generosity of visual delight!!!

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Alohahoya, thanks for that great info. I didnt know they were called keikis (like an orchid!). Keiki is my kitty's name. She is all black and I originally named her Orchid. When she was a little kitten my dh said, she is too little for such a sophisticated name and started callling her keiki and the name just stuck lol.
Good to know about the genetic information on Ti's. I have some seedpods on an unknown stripey-looking one with wide leaves. None of the others were blooming here but I suppose probably some of the neighbor's might have been.
I am enjoying looking at everyone's different Ti photos :)
~Lenette

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah RJ it's a Wiley's Gold. I had it on my list to look at and was considering getting it but I wasn't sure how different it was from one I already have.

Was that white plant you gave me possibly a shrimp plant? I saw one at a nursery in Corpus today and it looked very similar. It was cool too.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I didn't get HALF of what I planned to. (I know. Don't end a sentence with a preposition)
Still had a great time. Just a reason to do it again.

Christi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure what it is Patty..I looked for tags..but didn't find them..When Wayne comes over I'll ask him.
That's okay Christi, we saved money that way!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL. Glad you guys had a great time!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yes!!! I was that fly you kept swatting at....didn't you see me???? or at least HEAR me?

Carol HAHAHAHAHA

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

HAHAHAHA!!!......
Did you like the chicken Fettucine?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Too much salt!!

heheheheheh

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I saw a plant that looked like it at one of my nurseries yesterday. I am thinking it may be a white shrimp plant. It was pretty too.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't think so...it does look a bit like Brazilian Plume Flower 'Alba' but the bloom charactoristics aren[t like the Justica which have a cone like head with several blooms where this plant has individual flowers..
I could be completely wrong though

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/136100/

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

comparison photo

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I think it might be this:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82112/

I got the name off of Wayne's website. Look at the leave foliage on the bottom picture. The justica has fatter leaves which is why I don't think that is it. The nursery plant I saw yesterday had very similar leaves and the flower was long. I think the plants we have just haven't bloomed like they will. Time will tell

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have this plant. Grew like wild last summer and bloomed its head off. I never knew for sure where I got it. I know I didn't buy it. Did you bring it Randy or did Mitch? Before I just let it fend for itself (freeze) I took lots of cuttings. So far some of the cuttings have sprouted but I didn't mark them so I don't know what is what. Makes for a great Spring of surprise.

It died to the ground and I have since moved it where it would have more room. Still don't know if it will come back from the roots. The bird bath has frozen the last two nights so it will be a while before I trust the weather.

Christi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

no I looked at that one too..the blooms are entirely different.

Christi, ya never know..there were alot of bonus plants in the pots.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Found it.

White Candles
Whitfieldia elongata
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/97166/

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Here are my two new Ti: PinkSister with a Cream Edge on the left and Dwarf Purple Prince on the right....

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh cool. You are right; that looks exactly like it. Need to write this down and file it away so i will remember. Thanks!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are cool Carol, where are you going to plant them...in Ti row?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Ha...I think i am going to put them outside by the catchment tank under the draecena...the dwarf PP likes shade...and that area is screaming for color!!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Carol...those are gorgeous. Are there any Ti that like sun? I finally got potting soil and a good batch of compost...I'm trying to rearrange some things. I took your advise and the day before I plan to water I fill a bucket and let it sit overnight to water the Ti's. But mine are still looking a bit ragged. I would love to try the more colorful ones, but I'm afraid of killing them. Ahhh me...I am so gulity of floracide, I should be on the 10 most wanted criminal list!

Randy - so glad you got it identified. I am sooooo jealous of you guys and your fun Nursery tour!

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

There are many that take full sun!!!! And most of them do well with salt... The snails/slugs love them, so perhaps you are being invaded?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Shari! I'm glad I found it too..was driving me crazy...
here is Carols guest blog on Ti's she did for me....she mentions a few I think for sun
http://www.chron.com/commons/persona.html?newspaperUserId=rjudd&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3arjuddPost%3a84969564-e315-4b53-85a2-58d37339a01e

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.