Commanders Jordan, Josh, and Moxon have PIPS!! Updates here!

(Zone 7b)

Claire with fawn duckwings they are a cross of silver duckwings and a fawn so you will get both in a hatch. So you could have a silver duckwing and a fawn duckwing i have these as you know and my breeding trio is silver roo with 1 fawn & 1 silver hen and this way when i breed them i get both in my hatch.

Clarkson, KY

Willow. That was it. The ideal leg color for araucanas was willow. A greenish yellow, I think. And the EE background should include "wild type" down which I think was yellowy browny with striping. I've seen pics of AM and AR that are white so I guess it's possible. Don't know about Praline.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Is Praline growing a tail yet?

(Zone 7b)

Nice to see you grownut!

This message was edited Sep 30, 2008 8:56 PM

Clarkson, KY

Backatcha!! I've been lurking. And quiet. Both A-typical behaviors!!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much Harmony - here I am relying on your knowledge again! I am very glad to know that both options are possible! I'll keep posting pics as they grow up.

Here is another pic of butternut.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
(Zone 7b)

Hey you can lurk around my place anytime you want!

(Zone 7b)

Looks just like the americanas i use to have

(Zone 7b)

Where did everybody go?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

They are so cute! Thanks for the fix! ;-)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Sorry, I was posting the pics on BYC also

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here is Praline's tail. What is important about that? I am missing something...

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Lodi, United States

The one anecdotal observation I have faith in is that roos are slow to get their tails and they are stumpy and short. Pullets get their tales fast and they are pointier.

This probably doesn't hold for every breed--but it has been pretty good with most I have.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here is another pic of it...not sure how it measures up...

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

How big is it compared to the others?

That's a nice big tail... :)

Lodi, United States

It helps if you have mutiple chicks to compare--the first picture looked pullety--the second looks squarer--but pretty long. Sometimes they hold them differently. Need overheads and peers for comparison.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hard to say. I think it's a bit bigger than butternut's tail. The OEGs don't have much tail at all. The silkie has a bit of a tail - about the same as praline. Nilla doesn't have much tail. They are all different breeds though...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OK, will take pics of the 3 EE tails from overhead tomorrow. I'm just too tired tonight. We got 4 new goats this evening. That's tomorrow's story though, because I didn't get any pics due to lateness...which was due to escaped goat....which will be included in tomorrow's story. Pygmy and pygmy/toggenburg crosses.

G'night all....

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Poor Praline, if your mama doesn't stop posting pics of your bum on the internet I'll send the CF in for a rescue! ;-)

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I like fuzzy butt pics.. LOL

Clarkson, KY

y'know everybody's gotta have at least 1 bare-butt pic...lol

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

At least I wasn't doing them on the photocopier! LOL!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

That would be priceless!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I have another pipped serama egg! Woo hoo!

(Zone 7b)

Theres not a camera big enough to get Ellie's butt on film.(or mine either)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

way to go Commaner Moxon

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

What a wonderful way to start the day!!!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I LOVE everyone's babies! And it's all yalls fault that on friday I have 4 Ameraucanas pullets, 8 Australorp pullets and 1 Australorp roo coming from Ideal! Hey I have to blame someone right?!!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yaaaay SaananSandy! We have done our job at enabling more chickens to have good homes!

(Zone 7b)

Sandy i've bought chicks from Ideal and they have superb birds they will be beautiful!

Clarkson, KY

Can you guys quickie tell me how to mail a carton of eggs safely?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

wrap in bubble wrap until the egg is 4 times original size. pack very well in box. make sure you write on thebox
DO NOT X-RAY
LIVE HATCHING EGGS

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Most of the eggs I have received from eggbid, etc are like this:
1. each egg individually wrapped in either bubble wrap or some kind of foam wrap. Taped closed.
2. Each wrapped egg set in egg carton.
3. Optionally some shavings or cotton ball stuff in carton also.
4. Egg carton set in middle of box as much as possible.
5. TIGHTLY pack egg carton on all sides with crushed newspaper balls or similar. It has to be tight because the less movement of the carton inside, the less likelihood of breakage.

One person put the eggs, individually wrapped, into a smaller box (not carton) and then packed that tightly around with the newspaper. That worked really well too.

One person didn't tightly pack the carton. 9 of 12 eggs broken and the other 3 non viable due to totally scrambled contents. Edited to add that they also didn't wrap individual eggs.

So to me, the most important things are tight packing and individual egg wrapping.
Claire

This message was edited Oct 1, 2008 10:21 AM

Clarkson, KY

Wow. I'm off to see what I can come up with. I was going to just put them in the middle carton of 9 and tightly pack that, but I didn't think they could scramble!?

Lodi, United States

Tf puts them in cardboard egg cartons stuffed with (padded with) slightly damp sawdust/shavings. Tapes the cartons closed and puts them in a big box tightly stuffed with newspaper like Moxon describes. They have the highest hatch rates of any I have received--I think the combination of high RH and air ventilation is important.

I know bubblewrap helps cushion the eggs--but I wonder about the amount of air that gets in. My Nankins were sent that way and they hatched very well--but others have not been as good.

Clarkson, KY

That's what was worrying me. That and how to keep em from the sides of the box and labelling. And everything. But I'll give it a go.

(Zone 7b)

When i gather my eggs for hatching and want to extend the time i have before setting i wrap each individual egg in plastic wrap this slows down evaporation.
Thats why TF eggs hatch so much better the moist saw dust helps control the evaporation and keeps them moist.

Clarkson, KY

Good info. Thanks!

(Zone 7b)

Grow what kind of eggs are you shipping (just Curious)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Just got my penedesenca eggs from the PO. 9 good, 4 broken. They were well packaged too. Such a shame. PO must've been hard on them. They were bubble wrapped individually with taped ends (like candy wrappers!) and then in a small priority mail box, packed all around with newspaper inside a big priority mail box. The leaked ones actually leaked out of the bubble wrap, out of the little box, into the big box, and then out of that. The post office ladies (they are really nice at my PO) said egg goo got all over a bunch of other parcels and they couldn't figure out what it was, and then suddenly realized when they saw the hatching eggs label.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.