Commanders Jordan, Josh, and Moxon have PIPS!! Updates here!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Milk from inside the kangaroo pouch? ;-)

londonderry, Australia

it is a nectar type substance

and commander moxon the only time i have ever seen a wombat was at the zoo also

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

commander jordan needs advice. here is updated pic. of life form. been 3 days and is not out. getting week. waiting fr orders how to proceed
over

Thumbnail by jordankittyjo
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Commander Moxon is very disappointed at the scarcity of unusual life form sightings in Australia. We see deer and raccoons and possums and things like that all the time. I thought in Australia that you would see wombats and roos and wallabies like we see deer and raccoons. :-(

Commander Jordan, I am so not an expert on this. I am not sure what to say. I just took my serama out of shell this morning. It has been pipped for less time than yours. To me, it looked like it was panting and it was kind of red. It had not changed position in over a day and a half despite the start of the zip. I was concerned that the membrane was sticking. When I got it out, it had already done its first little greenish color poo inside the egg. I have never seen that before, but it tells me it was ready to come out. They don't usually poo inside the egg. It is now in the brooder and seems to be doing OK.

Maybe someone else will have a recommendation. Do you have any more pips? I took mine out because even in my short time I have seen enough hatchings that this one was not going according to normal parameters. I knew there was a risk in "helping" but I was willing to take that risk. Whether you are willing to take that risk is a decision only you can make.

Best of luck with however you choose to proceed.
Mox

(Zone 7b)

Jordan this is my advice i would open the egg like the chicken does it half up and around the outside if it's it's been 3 days pipped he should have obsorbed the yolk sac.

Open the egg and careful look in the bottom don't remove the chick just kind of lift it to see if the yolk is gone if it's gone lay the chick still in the egg on it's side in the incu.
Wait and let it rest it is very tired wait and see if he will push the egg off on his own.
If you remove him he could be still attached to the egg and his navel could bleed.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i removed some of the shell

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

please, someone

(Zone 7b)

Jordan gently take your finger and lift up his head so it is free from the shell don't remove him and leave him on his side.
Is he still breathing ????? I'm here darlin hang on

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

little cindy is here

(Zone 7b)

YES! YES! Hope I help you Jordan And Cindy is Cutie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

thanks harmony

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

should i give her sugar water? she can't stand yet

(Zone 7b)

I was siitin here nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rockin chairs!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i didn't sleep last nite

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

You can dip your finger in sugar water and put it alongside her beak and touch the drip to her beak and she will probably take some of it in. She won't be really good at drinking by herself yet. You don't want to start dipping the beak yet. It will take her a while to dry off. In 2 or 3 hours, she will be much more dry and stable. It takes them a while to get stable on their feet.

(Zone 7b)

No she will be fine just let her rest in the warm incu on the bottom she has been through a very stressful and difficult experinece and she needs her rest.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Looks like the yolk is totally absorbed, which is great. Cindy is adorable!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yup, get her under a heat lamp in a brooder or back in the bator.

(Zone 7b)

I personaly wouldn't recommend trying anything as she is very stressed and tired let her rest and in a few hours she will be up and dry.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

thanks for the help ladies. i appreciate it

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Harmony - you would recommend heat lamp brooder or bator right? You don't think that Commander Jordan should keep her in a towel in her hand....right?

(Zone 7b)

Yes in the bator and left to recover try not to disturb her.
I know your nervous and excited but she will be fine the hard part is over you can relax and watch her in the incu she will be just fine.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

shes back in the bator. i need a zanax. boy was that stressful

(Zone 7b)

Yes Jordan it is stressful.

Man it's like i was sittin here wishin i was there and was wringing my hands waiting on you to post!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i ended up helping her out. she was wiggling and couldn't get out

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

After all the eggcitement, here is a pic of my new serama baby. SO tiny!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

what a darling, commander moxon

(Zone 7b)

LT. MAJOR HARMONY Reporting new fuzzy life form successfully saved and is in module incu and in good condition Thanks to the Heroic Efforts of General Jordan with the assistence of LT Major Harmony and Commander Moxon.

LT. MAJOR HARMONY "SALUTE"

LT.Major Harmony will remain at post in case more assistence needed.

Clarksburg, MO

Congrats Jordan and Moxon on the cute new life forms. Are we still waiting on more or are you both done for now?

Sheila

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

got some due friday and then again next week

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Mine are finished for now Sheila. I have a couple more serama eggs coming along that I didn't mark when I put them in the incubator (oops) and then major hatching due around October 6. :-)

By the way, are you looking forward to that HUGE box of eggs you got on BYC. 60+ eggs of all those different breeds, I was amazed and seriously green with envy!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

commander, i think the problem hathing was do to low humidity. i forgot to check it.

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Get the $6 hygrometer at Walmart...in the aisle with the thermometers for the kitchen etc...She was definitely too dry...

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i have one, just forgot to check it. my bad. hanging my head in shame

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Congratulations! Job well done to both of you!
Jordan.. that was even a few tense moments just reading the posts! Fantastic save. Cindy is absolutely darling!

Oh Commander Moxon.. your Serama is the cutest thing ever.. Cute as a BUTTON.. LOL

Good morning to all.
Mother Bird Out

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

cindy pooped. is this a good sign?

(Zone 7b)

Yes they do poop after they are hatched it's normal

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

good, she is in bator squawking like the devil is after her

(Zone 7b)

Dusty whats the name of that hygrometer i been wanting one but are they really acurate i need one and what do you have for temp?? Pic??

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Not such a good sign when they poop in the egg like mine did. I think that meant she should have been out well before that. The other chicks in the brooder are about a week old now, so they were picking on the new one. I lined a tall yogurt tub with fleece fabric and put the new one in it, and then put that under the cosy lamp. Now the older ones can't get to her. Hopefully in a day she will be able to mix in because she'll be steady on her feet.

Usually the first poop is green. I'm not sure why that is. Does everybody else notice that with their chicks?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.