Christi's thread.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

At work here, but had to check in to see the updates - I am delighted!

Carol, so glad to hear that you are "above the curve"! We always knew that!

Anyone who talks to Mike please give him our love too...

Jen

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

All that news sounds wonderful!!!!! I am so darn glad for her!!!!!

Carol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, I got to watching Olympics and forgot to post that Mike called. I got the same good progress info that he gave Phyllis but he did say that she still was not in a room, it would be tomorrow afternoon. He said the ICU she is in, is not the Trauma type ward, it is more a special care section, and he would love for them to leave her there.

Of course I will say it before someone else....she IS "special" and we are glad she is getting close attention.

Phyllis or Jen....Did either of you ask how the dog bite was? I imagine it would not stand a chance against the antiobiotics she is getting.
Oh and she is getting up on her own to go to the bathroom!

Aloha,

Just home from work and there was a messge from Mike - wonderful day for Christi! Same news he told Phyllis, but how wonderful of him to take the time to give me a call!

No, I didn't ask Mike about the bite - I kept it very brief as he had only just spoken to the surgeon when he called me the first time, and I knew he must have had a hundred phone calls to make on top of what must have been a very stressful day...I rather imagine you are right Sheila about the antibiotics.

Although I wasn't home to take the message, Mikes voice sounded very happy with today's progress.

Warmest Aloha to all.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Hugs to the news-bearers and to Mike, and of course, to our Christi!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Gail and I are delighted at these great news.

Thanks to all who pooled their energy and info so we could keep abreast of Christi's progress.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Wonderful news !!! Thank the Lord.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Christi~So glad your surgery went well and you're on the mend. May your recovery be a short one and the pain you've been feeling totally gone!!

Stephanie

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

NO I didn't ask on the dog bite I thought it best to leave that area alone for now since it was just before she went in and I didn't want to get her upset or mike.
But like Sheila says I'm sure it doesn't have a chance to do anything but get better with the antibiotics

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Her moments of giving a darn about anything but her own comfort will be longer than MOST people...but they will be few and far between...I hope she gets lots of rest!!!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Talked to Mike last night, she should be in a room today and might be heading home early next week. He mentioned a thread on here and thought I might post an update for you all too.

Keep the prayers going - she is getting so much better.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the update, Mitch!
Keeping good thoughts and prayers for Christi and Mike,
Alexandra

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

It's good to hear, Christi, that you are improving! You and Mike will be home and relaxing in just a few days, and it won't be long before you are back in the garden better than ever! Hoping to see you in October,
Patricia

Thumbnail by patrob
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for all of the updates! So glad that Christi is doing well! After all of this Mike will need time to recoop as well!

Christi was on my mind first thing this morning, even before I got coffee going. Each new day will bring her closer to pain-free living. We're all pulling for you, girl!

Sylvain.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hopefully if you keep improving like you are, you can go home in a couple days, maybe tomorrow?! Thinking of you and praying you can get to see that wonderful yard of yours soon!
Sheila

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's a Blue Morpho butterfly for Christi. :~)

Thumbnail by pepper23
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Pepper, with all my insect phobia, I have to admit, that is one gorgeous butterfly! I even dared to make the picture big!
Christi, all the beauties in this world wait for you to come back home! Get well soon!

Have no idea what this is, just thought it was pretty! Flowering in mid-January in Naples, Florida.

Thumbnail by goofybulb
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

They are even more gorgeous in person. And huge too. And their personality reminds me of Christi. :~)

Allen, TX

Christi...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I hope you'll continue to do well. Frustrating year for TX gardeners, and me as a newbie. I'll try to hang in there and give it another shot with fall coming.

Take care and try not to rush your recovery. You'll get there!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Monday 18th(noonish)
I just received a call from Mike, Christi's DH. She is getting around great and managing her pain very well. She was alert and sitting up reading the paper. She asked me to post and let everyone know that the doctor said another day or two she will be going home! She is in a room now, it is #JO608 in the Baylor Hospital in Dallas (Johnson Hosp. Bldg.). I am sure she is really enjoying the food too! LOL! Home will look so wonderful when she gets there. Recovery will be so much easier there too!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Sheila...thanks so much for the news. Please tell her I am thinking a lot about her!!!

Curiously, even when I was in a lot of 'pain' after the surgery...it wasn't the same pain as I was living with for years so it was wonderful!!! I felt so successful. I am sure she is going to be feeling that too!!!!

carol

Aloha!

Thanks for the update - great news!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Rooting for our Christi!

Dallas, TX

Would Christi still be in the hospital? I've been out of town, but I sure would like to run over there. Is she at the Baylor here on Gaston?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

So true Carol. I can remember wakeing up and the first thing I felt was my toes!! My lower leg and toes had been numb before my first surgery and it was like getting a new leg! LOL!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sylvia, she would be still there today for sure, probably tomorrow. I just spoke with Mike this morning. She is in the Jonsson Hosp building, at Baylor Dallas. I misspelled it earlier. Here is the map, Gaston is the main address to the hosp.
http://www.baylorhealth.com/locations/bumc/findus/jonsson.htm

This message was edited Aug 18, 2008 4:31 PM

And the crowd of wellwishers goes wild: Christi, Christi, Christi!

Sylvain.

Aloha, I hope you haven't all gone to bed, but Sweet Mike just called...Christi is doing well and they have her pain medication adjusted to where she is as comfortable as can be expected. Mike says that she is walking to the bathroom and is eating well, real food now - not broth. There was some talk about Christi going to a physical therapy center for a couple of days after being relased from the hospital, but Mike wants her to come straight home so that he can look after her and "feed her up with some good food".

Mike said that they had overdone the medication whilst she was under and she wouldn't wake up (I think he said 6 hours). Anyway, he raised the alarm and come to find out that she had been given muscle relaxants on top of morphine, which the doctor admitted to Mike should not have been done. Because of this they didn't give her any pain medication for the next two days - imagine!

I hope that I have got the facts right! Mike said that she had a wonderful day today - he can't wait to get her home in his care.

Our Christi's coming home!

Whoops! Forgot...

Mike said someone from Hawaii sent Christi some jelly, but put no return address on the package. He very much wants the Menahune's telephone number so that he can call. He asked me to post and to ask whoever it is to d-mail me and for me to give them Mikes number or get a number from them for him to call

Aloha

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Aloha, Jen! Not sleeping here (hey, it's barely 8pm for me...). Always eager to hear news about Christi. She sure could have done without that medication problem...
Christi, so happy to hear you're doing better and better each day!
The wellwishers (as Sylvain very nicely said it) are waiting for you home too! There's nothing like home food, home bed, home garden, home everything, to cure you completely! Some physical therapy might be good, but I wonder if there is a possibility of doing it at home.
Cheers for Christi, and for the newsbearers, and for all the beautiful people here!
Alexandra

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Christi, YOU GO GIRL! Get well soon!

Dallas, TX

Ohh poor Christi ... I hope there is no more mishaps. Mike is so sweet, he wants his darling home so he can take care of her ... love it ... just love it!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Jen.... That call that my DH took, he told me that Mike said they were having trouble wakeing up from the anesthesia. Then he said also they were having trouble regulating her pain killers. So I thought DH must have gotten it wrong; and didn't post that part. Plus, I didn't want to alarm anyone with info I didn't know it to be true since I hadn't talked with Mike.
So....that was the case! She was over medicated I guess you would say. Thank goodness Mike was with her to keep them at bay. Hate that she had to endure all of that, but at least she is past it now.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Sure wish they could finish 'practising medicine' and get with the program!!!!

Carol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I used to work for a veterinarian and he said something one time after we lost a patient that stuck with me. "It is medical practice, not medical perfection."

Good day, everyone.

That medication problem is indeed unfortunate but that is all in the past. Christi is home now. Her entourage will take good take of her. She'll be back in shape in no time. We can't wait.

For Christi, who has just lived through her surgical ordeal and for everyone who sees the future with apprehension, I offer this Litany Against Fear from Frank Herbert's SciFi masterpiece, Dune:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

It helped me tremendously a couple years ago when I thought a depression would get the better of me, when after staring at the leaves swaying in the wind for months, I had to muster enough courage to look into a deep dark recessed corner of myself to heal or crumble. One does not die from such introspection but you inevitably return a changed person. We must not fear...

Take your time and heal fully, Christi; do not fear. We're all here for you.

Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

beautiful Syvain...just beautiful! And so true!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Good morning (well, morning for me, because I way-over-slept) everyone!
Christi is home? Well done, so thrilled to hear it! Beautiful, Sylvain!
Christi, welcome home! Everything HOME will make you better and better each day! Keeping you in my prayers!
Hugs,
Alexandra

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Alexandra.....I don't think she is home yet...but very close I believe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.