Unusual Seed Swap 08 Announcement

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

My seeds are in the mail. I was starting to think it wouldn't happen. Got the labels all ready to print but couldn't get the printer to work. My DS worked on it for a couple hours & gave up. I fell asleep around 4:30am thinking I might have to go back & hand write all the labels. Got up this morning & the printer worked fine. DS was totally baffled because it was not working when he last tried it. I guess it was tired or something.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Ah . . . the joys of computers and peripherals! I have found that if you can't fix the problem in 15 minutes - you can't fix it.

Sometimes clearing the memory of the printer will work. Turn off the computer and turn off the printer - and (this is the important part) - unplug the printer. Leave it unplug for a minute or two. This should clear the memory of the printer.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

DS is very knowledgeable about computers (unlike his mom). He did all the "quick fixes" & then all the technical stuff, too. But we have been hit by lightning twice this summer & he decided it must have been taken out by the last strike since I hadn't tried it out since then. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. It gets rather expensive replacing parts every few weeks. Looking into better protection for them -needs something on the cable line. Lost 2 TVs also. Personally I think it was telling us to go to bed & leave it alone. LOL

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

how many of us are there that vegetable garden?

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

I vegetable garden, but don't need/want any more veggie seeds. I'm trying to cut back for next year. Oldest son has been pushing me to scale it back for a couple years now. I just love to give away the excess produce but it really is too much for me.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

not me, except for a couple of bucket tomato plants each year

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a small veggie garden.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't have any luck here with veggies because of the heat and the bugs. I am an organic gardener because I garden for butterflies and hummingbirds. :-)

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

I usually try to do a small basic one each year. But, I've been losing a battle with a woodchuck and feel like I'm in the movie Caddy Shack.:-(

I do heirloom tomatoes, cukes, peppers, just basic stuff.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Beebe54
I've been wanting to ask someone & since you mentioned heirloom tomatoes, I'll ask you. I have always raised hybrid tomatoes. What is the advantage of heirlooms? Is it just to save the seed, or are they somehow better?

I think they have a better flavor than the hybrids and you can save the seeds, but I like trying new ones every year and seeing what they look like. All the different colors and shapes. I grew one this year called 1884 those things are huge. Cherokee Chocolate, Eva's Purple Ball, White Queen, Garden Peach. They are amazing. It is very hard to find them as already started plants. So most of them I grow from seed.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2008 7:06 PM

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

I do grow mine from seed. I was disappointed in the flavor this year. I tried 2 new (to me) varieties. Maybe I should give the oldies a try, but I was put off by the price in the catalogs.

I get most of the seeds for my heirlooms from seed trades. So the only cost is postage

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

My envelope is on it's way. I am so sorry for the delay.

Deb

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

So maybe I should amend my previous statement to say no veggie seeds for me unless there are some heirloom tomatoes. I did grow pear tomatoes this year. Don't know if they are heirloom or not but they came true. Seed came from a swap. Even my DH eats them & he has never liked tomatoes before.

(Karen O.)Georgetown, TX(Zone 8b)

I am not into growing veggies; I have too small of a yard. I tried growing tomatoes but had to cover them up like Fort Knox to keep the mockingbirds from eating them and it became a chore just getting to the tomatoes. Its not worth the effort to grow tomatoes. I gave all of my fall tomatoe seedlings away because of this bird problem.

Karen O.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I've had to give up my veggie garden. But i grow a couple of heirloom sweet peppers,tomatoes and cukes in containers. I like heirloom veggies for the better flavor and seeds. For reliable cheaper seeds, i buy from Pinetree seeds in Maine.Not as much choice in heirlooms but i'm happy with them.Also get them from trades.
Vickie

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I grow a veggie garden and start my own seeds. I also save the tomato seeds I like best
so I don't need tomato seeds. Mainly because we have cool summers and I have to grow specifically for that. Heirloom beans would be great and parsnips would be special. Someone sent me parsnips in a trade once and they were the best we've ever had. Other than that, anything goes.

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Hello all. I've been so swamped in the last few weeks. I figured once Sept. 15th came and went it was too late. Theresa, if I overnight you the seeds tomorrow, can I still participate? PLMK- thank you.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

you sure can Fauna! It will take a few days to get them all ready to send out. If you can dmail me a list of what your sending you can send them regular mail. That way I will have a count and can begin to start the next phase, which consists of participants dmailing me their wish list from the available seeds from this fun swap.
Take care,
Theresa

My goodness, Theresa....what a lot of work you are going to for us. You are a gem and I thank you so very much for all that you do for your online gardening buddies!!!!!

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

We are waiting for one or two more seed envelopes to arrive. You can begin anytime now to dmail me your wish lists. Please make sure you use the sample format listed below, listing at least the number of the list you chose from....here is an example, this will make it easy for me to fulfil your wishes....dont be shy either, choose as many as you want, it will give you a better chance at receiving more of the seeds you are hoping for.
Wish lists need to be dmailed to me no later than Sept 26th. I plan to get all envelopes ready to mail out no later than Sept 29th.
My want list
#2 Heavinscent 44 Caren Morgan Grand Lake, LA

1-Chilopsis linearis Dessert Willow Orchid- [HYPERLINK@davesgarden.com] zone 8-9

1-Pavonia Lasiopetala rock rosemallow- [HYPERLINK@davesgarden.com] zone 8-11

#4 Tuinkabouter 159 The Netherlands
1-Ferraria Crispa- [HYPERLINK@www.worldplants.com] zone 9
1-Echium russicum- [HYPERLINK@davesgarden.com] zone 6-8
1-Digitalis purpurea "Sutton's apricot"- [HYPERLINK@www.diggingdog.com]
1-Erinus alpinus- [HYPERLINK@davesgarden.com] zone 4-7

#6 Moretz 16 Hickory, NC

1-Phaseolus caracalla snail vine- [HYPERLINK@davesgarden.com] annual

#10 Evr Eliz Romero 11 Toronto Canada

1-Silene vulgaris- [HYPERLINK@ct-botanical-society.org]

Remember, the sooner you get your list to me, the better your chances of receiving what you really want! Also, list as many as you want! If I dont receive a list by Sept 26, I will choose a nice variety for you.
Thanks for your cooperation, lets make this the best unusual seed swap yet!
Theresa

Thumbnail by Theresa
northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

From the lists, I would love:

From Macsie:
White Bat Flower

From Heavinscent:
Pink Shibouri Ipomoea
Pale Blue Scalloped Ipomoea

From Beebe:
Shrimp Plant

From Potagere:
Heuchera Pluie de Feu

From Beckysgarden:
Morning Glory Mix

Thanks so much for hosting this,
Deb

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

I just sent you a dmail with my list, Theresa. Thanks so much for doing this! If anyone has questions about any of the seeds I sent just let me know and I’ll do my best to clarify and/or provide additional information (although I haven’t grown some of them either). I did notice that the photo for Schizanthus grahamii listed in plantfiles doesn’t look like the plant I harvested seeds from. This is what mine looked like (bought it from Annie’s Annuals) http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/plant_display.asp?prodid=963&account=none

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry, I didn’t answer the veggie garden question: unfortunately no room here for veggies, with the exception of a pepper plant or two

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Do you want a Dmailed list as well as the one in our envelopes of seeds?

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

wow Sunny, those butterly plants are awesome looking!
dylancgc, no, its not necessary....unless you have more wishes :) If I dont see a dmail wishlist, then I will check the envelope for participants that only want general items.
As of right now there are 24 participants, and waiting on a couple more.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I better dmail you a list then, I didn't have many general wishes.

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

Did mine arrive? Andrea

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

yours arrived today Andrea! Got lots of wish lists coming in....keep em coming!!!!!
The longer the list you have the better the chance you get at having ones ya really want :)

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

My wish list
#3 Bartjestuin Netherlands
Lavatera Aborea Variegata
Nicotiana Mutabils
Nicotiana Rustica

#10 EVR Elia Romero Toronto Canada
Silene Vulgaris

#7 Beebe54 40 Warsaw, MO
Asclepias Ice Ballet/
Salvia Roemeriana

#12 Potagere 26 Farges, France
Acacia Retinodes
Gymnadenia conopesea

#20 Rebecca30 5 Ruguay, NC
Devil's tabacco lobilia tupa

Adding to my want list.... 2/21/08
#26 Pamsaplantin 57 Pam Belt Morgantown WV
Knautia macedonica
#23 Danita 35 Danita Charles Mableton, GA
Gloxinia sylvatica 'Bolivian Sunset'

So many beautiful plant to choose from this year!! Im sure I will be back to add to my wish list!!
Thank you again Theresa for hosting this great swap!!!
PS did you get my Paypal payment for the postage?
Caren

This message was edited Sep 21, 2008 4:14 PM

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm glad the seeds arrived. :)
I just thought I would list some links that more accurately represented a few of the seeds I sent in. I didn't want anyone being confused. I should have thought to D-mail you website links with my list. Sorry!

Thanks so much for all of your work, Theresa! :)

3-Calycanthus floridus sweet shrub
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/550/

2-Penstemon x mexicali red rocks beardtongue http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/75796/

1-Stachytarpheta Coral Porterweed
http://www.kartuz.com/pc/80029/7RFPM/Stachytarpheta+speciosa.html

2-Talinum/Phemeranthus calycinum Fame Flower
http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/93850/

3-Veronica longifolia eveline
http://www.gardencrossings.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/315/index.htm

If anyone has questions about any of my seeds, feel free to d-mail me.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2008 6:26 PM

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

danita, i put your links at the freewebs site. :) thanks

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

I take it my seeds did not arrive yet? I thought they would get there no later than today. Sorry!

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

no problem pam, they will get here!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I love Carolina Allspice and have had zip luck getting it to germinate for me. I bought a small tree this year and I hope it makes it.

my want list:
from Danita -Penstemon x mexicali red rocks beardtongue [HYPERLINK@www.highcountrygardens.com
Stachytarpheta Coral Porterweed
Talinum/Phemeranthus calycinum Fame Flower
Veronica longifolia eveline

Where are the lists posted?
Is there a list someplace that I am missing of the inventory??
I am only seeing a few things here, mostly from what other people have posted on their wish list.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Birdie, look at the very top of this thread and you will see a link there. There are 6 pages listed to choose from.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.