Unusual Seed Swap 08 Announcement

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's a website with a list of all the seeds sent for this fun swap. http://www.freewebs.com/gardenbabe/08unusualseedswap1.htm
Here is the info for this years unusual seed swap:
Anything unusual goes! Hardy, tender, veggies from France(hehe), etc.
Minimum seeds per packet is 5. Feel free to include as many seeds as you want. I use about an 1/8 of a teaspoon for mine.
Mark your seed pack with your DG name, the name of the seeds, and growing info.
There is no minimum or maximum. You can send 1 packet or 100! Please, no more than 20 of one type.
Send return postage in the same amount as it costs you to send to me, plus an additional dollar for a fun surpise. If it costs you $2.50 to send, then enclose $3.50 for return postage. PLEASE no stamps, send cash, check or money order or paypal it using [e-mail:gardenbabe@comcast.net] as the sending address. This is necessary so I can print postage and have a record for both of us. ATTN: International participants, you can send stamps...
Make sure you enclose a list that says what you have sent and how many of each. Optionally enclose a wish list, the kind of seeds you would love to receive.
Last year I hosted 2 unusual seed swaps and had GREAT results. I see lots of return participants for this year too!
Theresa Wecker
241 S Second St
Marine City, MI
48039-1701
So lets get started...
Send to me between now and Sept. 15th. I think this will give us plenty of time to get our seeds together. Im drying some unusual ones right now!
This will overlap with my yearly bulb swap. If anyone wants in on that fun event please email me personally and include your email address so I can send you a link to the bulbswap group to get all the info, see pics of last years offerings, and fill out a haves and wish list. We had about 20 participants and I divided up and sent out over 150 different varieties, nearly 2000 bulbs! What a neat way to get more bulbs!!! Hope to see you there!
Here's a pic of some borage, just for fun :)
Theresa

This message was edited Aug 7, 2008 12:38 PM

Thumbnail by Theresa
hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i think i will try this one
could you give an idea of what you would concider unusual?
plmk and thxs i believe this will help me to get through what i am going through plus i have over a month to get this done thxs

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

This sounds fun! but as moretz stated above, what is unusual?

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

I'm in!

My veggie & other seeds will come from France!
Potagere

gieten, Netherlands

hello theresa
the envelop is on the mail
ill hope you have them very soon and safe

marjolein

Theresa,
I'm in again this year, will get mine sorted and packaged up this week. Thanks for taking this on again.
Nancy

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

UNUSUAL is anything that you think is unusual! That makes it easy :)
Im looking forward to this fun swap again this year. Im enjoying so many of the ones from last year, learning about them, enjoying their look in my gardens and wondering what this year will bring!
So far I have some frilly aster seeds ready to sort out.
I was all excited yesterday, I thought that there were butterfly larvae on my milkweed, but it turned out to be some shiny yellow bugs. LOL.
Theresa

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

oh ok theresa,it does make it easier kekeke. I'll send out some seeds as soon as I organize my things. THANKS!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

I’d love to join! My tiny garden is less than a year old though, and some of my more unusual seeds might not make it in time for the deadline, as the plants are still flowering right now. Is it permitted to send store bought seeds as well? I have a few “odd” varieties that I’m going to be buying anyhow, and am happy to pass some on. No worries if that isn’t what you’re looking for, I will have a few varieties ready, either way.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

sunnyg.....you may send store bought seeds :) Glad to have to join in the fun!

Here's a pic of my landini lily...just for fun :)

Thumbnail by Theresa
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes, seeds can come from anywhere. Many of mine are left over from traded or purchased seed. You can only grow so many ya know!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Who said that you could only grow so many? I planted about 300 things last winter. I guess you should have said you can only plant so many. I'm almost out of room.

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Nancy,

Count me in; I will start preparing seeds.

Carol

Theresa,

Meow 2. (Translation: Me too)

Aunt_A
April Campbell

Count me in....... I am collecting seeds now. I have some packages I did not use also.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

macsie, please include some of your unusual sunflowers, they all sound so pretty!
I really want teddy bear. I have tried to grow it a couple times but the seeds both times turned out to be something else lol. I wanna try again!
Theresa

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Count me in ,too.
Lots of fresh and ripe ,unusual seeds get ready.
Sooo thrilled !!

Tomtom from Japan

Trachelium caeruleum

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

waaaaa so nice...

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL Dylan! I meant you can only plant so many of one plant especially if they get really big!
I have my seeds ready to send. They will go out Monday!
Caren

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I'd like to join in, too.

Deb

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Is anyone interested in Blackberry lily seeds? I will have to wait for them to ripen if anyone wants any. The seed pods are still green.

OH yes! To the Blackberry lily seeds. I have 2 seed pods on the Blackout, but they are also still green.

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Nancy,

Seeds were put in the mail today.

Carol

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Please put my name on the Blackout. Do you want some of the Blackberry Lilys. I have a few Candy Lilys also.

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

I'm from Canada, and I'd like to send some seeds. I've SASE-ed one time before to California with $3.00 USD, but you say that internationals can give you stamps...How does that work? I'm kinda assuming that I have to give you US stamps, but I don't know where to get US stamps up here. So do I send you Canadian stamps instead? (I know kind of a dumb question -_-).

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

not a dumb question at all. Just send US funds and I will take care of the rest. Sorry for the confusion.

Norfolk, VA(Zone 7b)

I'm in - sounds like fun!!

Chesapeake, VA

I'm in...Theresa, I have 2nd generation Teddy Bear sunflower seeds (fresh from this year's harvest). Meaning, they are the seeds from the original Teddy Bear plants raised from commercial seeds. They did quite well this year!

I might also have some 2nd generations from Toy Box sunflowers (I think that was the name)...

I think I have some 2nd gens from Pacino sunflowers.

All dwarfs.

I don't have a lot of anything, but I have a little of...a lot.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

I love variety BrightStar, and glad you are joining us. Today I received the first envie full of seeds! yippee.
Theresa

Will take me more time to get them ready as some of the pods were still green. Glad we have until Sept 15.

Thanks,
April

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

For all of you following along, here is the list with links of all seeds that have arrived for this swap:
http://www.freewebs.com/gardenbabe/08unusualseedswap1.htm
Im looking forward to this swap as much as I have last year!d
Theresa

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi,Theresa,
I sent my seeds yesterday.They'll reach you in about a week. Having a look at the swap list last year, I think I'll send some other rarer,more difficult seeds soon.

Thank you so much for your kindness.

Tomtom

This message was edited Aug 8, 2008 8:16 AM

Ballston Lake, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm getting together a package. This sounds like so much fun.

Theresa,
Very nice of you to make the list and the links. :-) Love those Pinwheel Marigolds!

April

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

April, its fun to make the lists and post pics! Sure makes the seed swap more interesting and you get planting instructions and info about all the seeds you get! What could be more fun than that! LOL.
Yesterday we had 2 yards of mulch delivered. Hubby got 3/4 spread out last night after work in our campground area, and I finished up the other side of the garage this morning, along with plans for a new entranceway for our front yard.
Next weekend is our sedum and semp swap, really looking forward to it!
Theresa
boy the pic of the double kwansa is pretty with the stargazer in the background isnt it...

Thumbnail by Theresa
Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Theresa,

First, I'm sorry I've been calling you Nancy (The mind goes easily when yu spend so much time in the sun) I will be sending sunflower seeds to ad to my other seeds.

Carol

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

I'll be watching for the sunflower seeds Carol. Dont worry about calling me Nancy, things happen.... :)

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

It looks like there are some really neat seeds so far! I keep telling my flowers to hurry up and mature those seedpods, but they just aren’t listening. LOL. I think I’ll be sending my packet in pretty close to the deadline.

I've got most of my things ready, but just got a few more 'unusual' seeds on our trip to the spa: Swiss Eidelweiss and Stemless Blue Gentian! And a cousin sent seeds of a fairly unique squash from Argentina. Still have to go up the mountain to see if the Alpine Columbine seeds are ripe, and the orchids are taking their own good time!!! So, me and sunnyg may be in a race for last!

Thumbnail by Potagere

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.