Unusual Seed Swap 08 Announcement

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

last is fine, as long as they get there! :)
Nothing like super fresh seeds hehehe

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

OHHHH. Eidelweiss. Du hast keine idee wieviel Ich werde das haben! I better get on the stick because I didn't have any particular request to have anything until just now. What is that lovely building, Potagere? I love Swiss architecture(hope that is correct for that building.) I saw a bit of it in the Chiriqui region of Panama.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Potagere, I’ll make sure to dust off my running shoes for the race to last place ;-). Beautiful pic!

That is Schloss Schadau, originally the home of a Swiss banker (what else?) now a fantastic restaurant right on the shores of Lake Thun and just next door to our spa hotel.
Now, tell me the sordid tale of how Swiss architecture arrived in Chiriqui, Panama!

Thumbnail by Potagere

Here is the hotel where I stayed in Chiriqui, el Bambito. Here is a link that talks a little bit about Swiss settlement of the area:
http://www.focuspublicationsint.com/focuspanama/en/chiriqui-en.htm

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Photo of the cloud forest mountains.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

WOW! Very nice. What unusual seeds did you bring back from there?

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hey fauna, so that's were you hung out. Missed you!

Just sent a nice envy to your little one. Hope he likes it!

LOL! Ok, I am confusing everybody. I was just posting pictures to chat in general - I haven't been back to Panama for about 2 years. It was one of the most beautiful places I have yet seen, however.

OK, several weeks ago I set aside a bunch of seeds from my existing trade list and just need to send them in as of yet. It's all tropicals- but I am trying to stick to just small trees, shrubs, vines, etc. Nothing too crazy like Hura crepitans! Mostly, Tuink, for you it will stuff you have already from me, I think. Lot's of senna species, some cassia, an acacia, I can send in my pink C. pulcherrima, which is always popular. Cordia lutea, Justicia betonica, etc. etc. just to give you an idea.

On a side note, my DH came back from a business trip to Puerto Rico this week with no seeds. He was thoroughly chastised!

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Count me in for the seed swap.

Love the pics!

Oh Fauna, yes please! You can send them with the cactus-pups! No problem if I already have them, I can always use more! I'm such a piggy (oops, that's another swap!).

Tuink, I have something better for you. How about Butia cappitata and Syagrus shizophylla in that cactus box?

I need an opinion (or opinions) here. Would Eremurus stenophyllus count as unusual? I just noticed that I have a LOT of seeds down the garden!

I would definitely say yes.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

potagere, I would LOVE to receive some emerus....have always wanted to try it.
Thanks for including it in your seeds :)

Today I received awesome seeds from:
Bartjestuin and Caren. Thanks for participating. Soon I will list them at the website.
Theresa

OK, in it goes! I love this plant. If you have Liatris, it makes an interesting mix.

Fauna, yes please!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Tuinkabouter You have so many cool seeds on your seed list, almost any of them would be keepers.

Do you still have all the Passifloras you had last year? I couldn't find that list.

Hi Dylan,
Still have the passiflora's! If you want some, send me d-mail. It's too late to put them in my swap-envie as it went out this morning!

(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

Theresa-

I'd like to join your seed swap also! I also dmailed you with my personal email as I would love to be a part of your bulb swap this year.

Thank you :)
Jan

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

The more the merrier Jan! I sent ya the link to the bulb swap info. Glad you will be joining us. Make sure you check out the link at the top to the freewebs site where I have all the seeds with links/info as they come in.
Last year we had to have 2 unusual seed swaps as it was quite a popular event! Im so much enjoying the seeds that I germinated from lasts years swap. Here's one of my unusuals, called lions tail....its nearly 8ft tall and has square variegated stems!

Thumbnail by Theresa

OHHHH---I like that "lion's tail"!

Jan

I got some voodoo lily bulbs from you last year and traded some, kept one. I've got it planted in sun but I think It's fonder of shade???

Jan

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

I keep my voodoos in part shade. I have discovered just this year they dont like full sun. Im getting ready for my sedum/semp swap this weekend. What a great response I have gotten from everyone! My friends from IL and Muskegon MI will be here, camping out in our backyard. What fun!!!

I've got that lion's tail too! It's a little behind the one on the picture, but I hope it will start to flower soon. And that it will survive our winter.

I love lillies and would love to plant some but we have lilly beetles in the garden. They not only strip them to bare stems, in fact they even eat the stem until nothing's left at all. After three years, I've given up!

That Lion's Tail looks like a giant Phlomis! Any idea of the botanical name?

It's Leonotus! And I have seeds of those, if you want them!

Is Leonotus difficult to germinate and/or grow?

Jan

gieten, Netherlands

no the leonotus is not difficult to germinate
i have sow these seeds in april in mine cold green house and in may ill planted the plants in mine garden and a copple of weeks ago
the are flowering beauttiful plants the are
alone i dont no if the survive the winter here but but in a copple of weeks i have many seeds of thesa and than i am sowing next year again

I sowed them this year, no problem whatsoever!

Did I say it didn't flower yet? Guess what, today the first blooms are out. Unfortunately they're way up above my head so I can't take a good look at them!

OK, you've twisted my arm! I want some of these!

Potagere, please d-mail me your address and they're all your's!

I had a few recent harvests to my tradelist, including Pimenta dioica which I think I forgot to list. One thing that I am sending in that is slow growing, has very shapeable form, and is a good candidate for glass house tropicals is Garcinia spicata. I don't even think it has a DG entry. It is really a tough plant, and lots in that genus make wonderful tropical fruits. There is a small quantity, but someone may like it. Tropical seeds are sometimes VERY large, and this one will require more than a flat envelope.

Fauna,
That's OK! If you need to send a box instead of an envie, I can pay for postage! Please send it to the office address.

Oh, boy!! I want to try that Pimenta diocia! I bet it will overwinter in my greenhouse. And if it fruirs, I use a lot of allspice.

Ok. It's going in.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I would love to participate as well. I have 'Blue River II' Hibiscus - which has pure white blooms and is also a longer blooming varitety. (Mine is about 7' wide this year and and if the stalks were standing instead of 'shrubbing out', then they would be equally as tall)...

However, the seed pods aren't quite ripe yet, but soon I'm sure. Hopefully, sooner than later because it looks like the seed trade list has some great things on it so far! Either way, I'll be sending something!

On a side note - Blackberry Lilies...I only have the yellow/orange petaled variety, (which also still have green pods at the moment)...I lost my leopard variety to the slugs a couple of years ago. >:-<

Here is a closeup of the center of the Blue River II...sorry, I don't have any newer shots on the computer at the moment.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2008 3:25 PM

Thumbnail by beautifulchaos

Theresa, when I follow the link to the list of seed, I get only the 9 items sent in by MACSIE. Am I missing something?

This message was edited Aug 18, 2008 8:53 AM

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Potagere, I just see the 9 items too so you aren't alone.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

ok, I've fixed the problem. So sorry, I am only allowed so many pages at freewebs, so deleted a couple to accomodate 08 unusual seed swap....ENJOY

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.