July Blooms......Part 2

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

We came from here. Thread got to long for some of our friends so this is part 2.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/869954/

This message was edited Jul 22, 2008 9:48 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Phew- I just caught up, had somehow overlooked the hwole other thread for weeks!
Ruby- your cannas look great. Mine are nice this year too, I think it's all the rain.
Except. my Tropicannas are kind of slow. Red, Like I sent to you, and gold, both are slow. Bet it has something to do with having gotten them from clearance. But I will prevail. Grow, dangit!
I'm fertilizing better this year than usual.
Birdhouse gourds.- Qwilter- yours are ahead of mine a week or tow. I'm just getting the first pollinated flowers. You're doing great! I was told if you only have one plant, you should try to stop at 6-8 total gourds, and after August 1 consider removing all further young ones cuz they won't have time to mature before frost.
Daturas--Mine are not blooming quite yet, but the biggest ones I have are in the hottest sunniest bed I have. There's a bud...!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'll post some pictures for you. Prime the pump. These two guard the flower bed next to the kitchen.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

A clump of Dragon King daylilies.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm not sure what this one is but the flowers are huge. I put my hand in the photo so you could tell the size.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Siloam Fairy Tale

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Stoplight

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Lily Stargazer

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Darn. Sorry about the last one. I did rotate it but it apparently doesn't permanently rotate it.

Shoot, that didn't fix it either. I give up. I'll have to edit it in another program later.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2008 12:10 AM

Thumbnail by hart
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

My goodness ladies, you have surely done yourselves proud. What beautiful Lilies, Daturas, MG's et al.

I've never grown a datura or mg. I may have to try to overcome my vine phobia.

Wind, I love your orange dl.

Holly, Your Tiarella is just lovely. I recently planted my first one, Heronswood Mist.

Shirley, that Respighi is to die for!

Lady, I love that African Queen, what a great color for a Lily.

RCN, I may have to find one of those Breathless Beauties!

Hart, that Stoplight is spectacular! BTW can I hire your guardchicks???

Crozet, VA

Gosh, everything is beautiful, I must say. Got some mighty fine flower gardeners amongst us, I'd say.

Anyway, Holly the OSP that you sent me pops out a pretty pink bloom from time to time also. Thank you so much for them.

I know that meant to say something to several other of you, but I am going ten different directions this morning and doing a bad job along the way.

Have a good one all.

Ruby

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Shirley, That 'Elsa Spath' looks right to me. I'll have to go back and find what I originally ordered from the Co-ops last year. I don't think I ordered a 'Elsa Spath' but that doesn't mean that isn't what it is. LOL
Wind, Love those Aubade-oriental. It's raining here this morning hopefully it will move over to your house, too.
Hart, It is a purple/blue but it always photographs a little more blue than purple no mater what light I take the picture in. It's really a funny color sometimes you look at one of them and see purple and white and then you come out one morning and say "WOW, that is really blue". I will be collecting seeds from my MG, anyone that would like some just D-mail me and I will put you on my list. Hopefully I do well collecting seeds.
Those are very pretty daylilies.
Sally, My Cannas aren't blooming very well yet either. I have 3 that are blooming right now. I posted a few pictures of the Pink Dawn in a container it's still blooming well and there is one in the garden that is also blooming and the a couple of more that are just starting also the shorter varieties. I'd post a few pic's of them but they are pretty ratty looking right now. Link to container with Pink Dawn
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5239282
Stormyla, This is my first year for the Tiarella also. My first one was given to me by RCN, at the Chinese dinner swap back in Feb or March. I think it was called Dark Star, very pretty and I have all ready divided it.
Here is my Passifloria. Dear thing, I grew 5 of these from seeds last summer and gave away all but this one. It's been a battle keeping it alive over the winter. Had a bad case of spider-mites and then got knocked over and broken. But it has struggled through and is very happy right now out in the Gazebo with lots of blooms coming on.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Shenandoah Valley, VA

How did I miss African Queen? I had to go back and look for them. I need that lily. LOL Very beautiful, Chris.

Stormy, I got Stoplight from Miss Becky's Daylilies for a dollar or two when she had her sale last year. If you keep an eye out for the sale, she marks a lot of daylilies down to $1-$3.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Hart, I'll keep a look out! I too, think I'm in need of an African Queen.

I was missing my moonflowers that I didn't get planted this year==until I got a big whiff of flowering tobacco sweetness. Chased it with a four oclocks shot. Ahhh
Mostly I have an acre of gloriosa daisies this year - in my half acre yard LOL And a bunch of volunteer sunflowers. Goldfinches love me!!!

Sally, I gave up on Moonvines here, I had them when I lived in Pittsburgh, up here I think I have to plant them really early which can be a problem due to our later spring. I got them to grow but they never flowered. : ^ (

I was waiting for the 2nd African Queen to flower as the bud looked a little different, well it opened today and, whoops! I think there is a mix-up. Looks more like Pink Perfection, maybe. I e-mailed White Flower Farms with the pictures attached.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Side view of the mystery Lily

Here is a picture of my new "Candy Club" And it smells wonderful!!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Guess it's that time of the year - Lilies! I lost the tag for this one, thought it was Stargazer but it doesn't look like the Stargazer on the other side of the driveway - incredible green centers.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

The fragrance is wonderful - lured in this guy, he was checking out every bloom but stayed still long enough to get his picture :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

looks like it may be: Oriental Lily, Lilium “black beauty” :)
I love that one, ours is blooming now too

I was going to say Black Beauty too. So that is 2 votes :^ ) I have to add that one sometime to my collection. How tall are yours, R&W? White Flower catalog say it can grow 9 foot tall and have as many as 50+ blooms. WOW

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

All so lovely.
sallyg - I already have over 2 doz gourds from 1 plant. At least 1/2 are over 12" long. The seem to grow exponentially up till @12" then slow down. It has gone up an 8' fence and back tot he ground on my neighbors side. He then just tosses them back over to my side. They have 6 gourds on their side of the fence. Good thing we are friends.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

A few more from my wildflower garden

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

--

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

--

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Jen, nice flowers in your "Wildflower garden", I bet you find a surprise every day.

Checking my flower bed this morning, I look and said "what the heck is that green glob in my "Color Parade" lily ?"

Surprise! What a cutie! I have seen pictures of these little guys before sitting in lilies, but it was a treat to have one sitting in mine.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, that is the cutest picture.

Holly, A few years back I had one in our hot tub with me, his little bum was in the water. I told him to quit peeing in my tub! It was dry that year and the sound or smell of water just attracted him.

I got an e-mail back from White Flower Farms about the wrong lily. They told me they will replace it in time for planting in the spring. I like this company! Such a quick response!

qwilter- sounds familair! last time I had birdhouse gourds, at the end of summer I realized there was a huge section of vine on (my neighbor's) her side of the fence. I pulled up a huge pile of vines from thee and left a couple huge gourds- don't know if she appreciated thme or not! but she's friendly and I thought her grandkids might like them for fall.
flowerjen- any idea the name of the orange one? nice soft orange.
lady-frog envy!!!! 8 ^ )

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yep, everyday something new, I love it. My son got so excited when the blue flowers bloomed. Cute frog!
Sally, the orange one is African Daisy
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/173097/

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, I love your Passion flower. That was the first vine I ever grew 35 years ago on my balcony in the center of Philadelphia.

Jen, Your wild flowers are just lovely. I like the gift of the day program!

Lady, I want that Black Beauty!!! Your frog is one "Critter"" that I could tolerate!

My yellow cannas are blooming again. I'll need to take pics later.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Looked it up - you're right, it's Black Beauty :) If this one stood straight, it's probably over 5' tall! It was leaning over the driveway and we had to prune up the Magnolia it's planted under to give it more light and then tie it to the branches for support. Not sure how many blooms, but it's loaded!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Another planted just to the right of Black Beauty is 'Dizzy', it's a beauty :)

Thumbnail by rcn48

Beautiful lillies. Mine didn't do well this year. I believe they are too clumped and need to be dug up and thinned. I was going to do them and my Iris this AM but it is already humid out there. I've spent so much time digging in the dirt recently that I think I'm going to take a day off & work on my (much neglected) quilting.
I promised to share with a friend but I know she will also appreciate a day off!!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

RCN, Those lilies are just gorgeous. Do they all multiply for you?

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

rcn, here is a baby photo of your eucomis "oakhurst", front and center :)

Thumbnail by wind

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.