July Blooms......Part 2

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Ruby - A couple of each would be great. I'm guessing I will start them in late winter to put out in the Spring????

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kunileya - I think those starfish ares so cute. I've never seen one in person. Did you get it locally or order it? I put together a succulent garden and ine would look nice in there.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Aspenthomas, Your Phlox , Hosta and your house are lovely.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

stormy, thanks for the compliments. I still feel like a novice with the gardening, but I sure do love it. Here is another photo - entranceway containers with misc annuals (front porch rehab project in progress).

Thumbnail by aspenhill
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

LOVE IT!!would kill for those steps, and the porch they appear to lead to.

I'm a day or so away from my first ofthe year dbl yellow Datura, and then first ever purple-white dbl Dat- courtesy of Gita

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Qwilter,

I got the starfish locally at Pepper's Greehouse in Milton, Delaware, but they do mail-order, too. Their Watchdog rating is a little so-so for the mail-order section, though.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2438/

I have to say I'm not really surpirsed, as the owner can be a little gruff, even in person, and the plant quality can range from big, excellent plants to barely rooted cuttings. But, they have an amazing selection of rare and unusual tropicals and perennials-- it's really mind-blowing to walk through their grounds. They have many, many more plants than what is listed on their website. If anyone is ever in the area (near the Delaware beaches) it is definitely worth stopping by to check them out.

Anyway, it seems that my plant is mislabled. I was doing some research on it yesterday since some people asked about it, and I believe that I have positively identified it as a Stapelia relitive-- Caralluma schweinfurthii (syn. Orbea schweinfurthii)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/161530/

I can send cuttings, if you want. Plus I have a very tiny plant that I rooted from a small branch that was knocked off. D-mail me ifyou're interested.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally - aren't the Dats exciting? The double/triple that you (?) gave me is covered in blooms and has been for a week or two. The purple that I didn't pot up until much later then the yellow is covered in buds....waiting...waiting....

Kubileya - I was going to ask you about that as it's "stem" appeared to look more like the Caralluma family of Staps. I've had a slew of them for 3 years now...I better see some blooms finally this year...LOL I think they make for great photo subjects!!! Your's is beautiful!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Finally, my Poached Eggs are blooming, they took a long time to germinate under lights in the basement this winter and were slow growing. The leaf stems broke easily when transplanting out into the garden. I really didn't think they would make it. I'm not sure if I'll go out of my way to grow there again, unless they give me a full cover of blooms by fall.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That's an awfully pretty flower, Good job growing them!

ladyg- did you get them from Valuseeds- .09 a pack? maybe you had to splurge all up to .$. 49 ^_^

Oh crud- I looked at the site. Now I want to order something.Pansies 100 seeds mixed color . 49--do I dare try again, now that I know they need darkness to germ? Or plan to spend fifteen dollars or more on my usual fall pansies? "see honey, I'm earning money this way"

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 3:32 PM

Sally, maybe I should have went with Valuseeds, paid $1.95 :^0
I agree the flower is pretty and they look nice in a bunch, I think in some zones folks just sow directly in the ground. Maybe some will self seed for next year. Time will tell.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I thought this looked VERY "romatic".....

It is a bloom from my HUGE Kopper King Hibiscus--closing up gently for the day. Sad, that they only last one day! They are SO huge and so pretty.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's another one. I shall call this one "Today and Tomorrow"......
Promises....promises......

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's the bloom fully open.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's my tall, red Hibiscus--blooming away. Doing good this year! If you remember--last year this is the same one that had the curled, deformed leaves.....

Ruby--Your seeds are on their way to this Hibiscus.....

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 8:54 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is another shot of my Clematis. It is the same flower bloom as in this previously posted picture.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5300969
The color has lightened up so much. I had it tagged as a Ramona but didn't think that was right Shirley thought it might be a Elsa Spath. It is a really beautiful Clematis.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Crozet, VA

Such beauties everywhere!!!! My niece who attended the Longwood trip with us is coming in this weekend and I don't have too much blooming going on at present. I am down to three Gladiolus and they gave a really spectacular show this year. I wanted her to be able to see things while they are blooming. I will have to tell her to schedule a trip earlier in July next year. ha-ha There are still loads of Day Lilies blooms though and a few Daisies here and there. A few bits of color throughout, but certainly not like two weeks ago. My Hibiscus are opening this week also, so they should be pretty, just don't don't have a red one.

Gita, much appreciate the seeds for the Red Hibiscus. There is one that is in a yard that we travel each time leaving and coming back home. John and I have both been watching it for years. If I knew that I could grow these from seed, I would have stopped by her place before now. If the Hibiscus does as well as some of the other plants that you have so graciously given me, it will be a beaut. I still need to take a picture of the tomatoes that you gave me at the swap. I ate my first cherry tomato two nights ago off of it. I will go outside shortly and take a picture to show you.

When should I start the Hibiscus seed and what sort of care (lighting, water, etc.) does it need? Thank you so much.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby,

I started mine in early Summer outside in a pot. The first year, by summer's end, it was a 2' tall, single stem with leaves. I wrote back to "ddkat" in NJ who sent me the original seeds (is she still around?) and asked her: "Are you sure this is a Hibiscus? Looks more like a Rose of Sharon"? She wrote back and assured me that it was--and that it would not bloom until the 3rd year. So I planted it in a large pot and put it by the back fence and forgot about it. It has been a long time ago!
I am not sure when I planted it in the bed it is now--maybe the Spring of the 3rd year??? Then the following (4th?) summer it bloomed.

BTW--Regular, perennial HIbiscus--the short, "dinner plate blooms" variety, will bloom the first year from seed. If you see some--ask for a sed pod in late Summer. We have pink ones planted around the mall here--in front of AC Moore Craft Store. I'll have to keep my eyes open....
I sent you a few seeds you did not ask for as well. Feel free to ask for info and pictures.

Gita

Crozet, VA

Rose of Sharon is in the Hibiscus family according to a Southern Gardeners book that we have.

So, could I plant it when receiving it and hope that it takes the winter okay or should I save and start next year early so that it has more growth for its winter outside? If it survives for me it will be a very welcome addition to my garden.

Thank you so much. I took the tomato plant(s) pictures this morning. Next time that I sit down and upload pictures, I will post for you here.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby!

GO FOR IT! Start them NOW! What do you have to lose? Maybe you have a whole year (until bloom) to gain! Since they are perennial--the seedling should do fine. Being the cautious type, I would still keep them in a protected spot for the winter...(WHAT winter??)......

Did I ever give you a started, rooted plant of my Angel-Wing Begonia? I think you mentioned once that I did.
Here is mine this year. I NEVER got around to cutting it back this Spring, so it is tall and lanky. BUT--because I never cut it back, it has bloomed so well.
Next Spring I will not only cut it wayyyy back--I will also repot it and get rid of the old, fibrous roots. You will be amazed at how huge and beautiful it will be then! I do this about every 3 years.
BTW--just for size--it is in a 14" pot.

How big is yours (if you have one...??)

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

New cutie in my wildflower garden, I love the pale peachy pink color

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Gita , your Angle wing is lovely. I have a dragon wing that I bought for 50¢ at the end of season sale at Lowes about 3 years ago. The leaves ane not as pretty as yours but it has been thriving. I do much the same as you do. Last summer a gust of wind blew it off the deck and it got smashed, pot and all, I got a new pot for it and it came back and made it through another winter.

Jen, is that phlox from your wild flower mix, it is very nice, so soft looking!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

ladygardener,

I have Dragon Wing Begonias all throughout my garden. In the fall, I dig them up and bring them into the house. When I do--I cut off all the blooms. They "live" in my guest bedroom on the back end of one of the beds--as there is unobstructed light there from a window.

They are SO pretty, and to buy new ones every year would run into a bit of money as they are sold under the "Premium Annuals" labeling--therefore, about #3 each.

Here's one in a bed....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Chirs- Yes, it's from that mix, it's so delicate, I love it.

Noid hosta flowers

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

This is the first time blooming!!! The blooms are much smaller than I expected, but I'm thrilled :) I have it growing on a large arbor with a climbing hardy jasmine

Clematis Huldine

Thumbnail by wind

HollyAnnS, your clematis reminds me of 'Will Goodwin' because it has red stems; do your blooms fade in the sun?

Gita, I loooooove dragon wing begonias :))) I bring in cuttings in the winter, rather than the whole plant and they root real easy...problem for us here is our cat 'snoops' loves eating the blooms off them, so we have to keep the cuttings in an off limit room. The blooms are so pretty and glisten in the sunlight like sparkle dust.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

wind--
I have a strong philosophy about blooms vs. roots. Just my way of thinking, but it makes a lot of sense. Can't really ask for both!

Both making blooms and making roots takes a lot of energy from the plant. Agreed?
IF you take a cutting of anything--it has NO roots.
IF you leave the blooms on the cutting, you are asking the plant to do do the next-to-impossible--maintain existing and developing blooms---and grow new roots at the same time. Double whammy!

SO! I follow this principle..........IF I take away roots--I take away all blooms. Then, the plant can concentrate it's energy on making better roots.

I KNOW that begonias root easily--but keeping them alive and healthy in the house is a challenge. Too many water roots....Too much leaf drop,,,,,Taking a cutting from a cutting when they are spindly and weak just weakens the plant--in my opinion.

SO! I dig up the whole plant (NOT much root to them). Cut it back a bit--at least removing all its existing, and potential blooms, pot it into a gallon pot and keep it on the dry side all winter. Water them when I remember. Clean up the dried up leaves--when I can't stand it any more.....and hope for the best.

In the approaching early Summer--I cut it back a bit, maybe give it a shot of MG, and wait for the optimum weather to take my pots outside--in total shade for a week or so. Then I just plant them in my beds. Oh, they look pale for about a week, as they get used to the brighter light, but then they adjust and grow and bloom away.

NOT saying this is the way to go--but this is what I do......

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Last year I ordered Clematis from the Co-op this was my original order.
2 BELLE OF WOKING -
1 COMTESSE DE BOUCHARD -
1 DR. RUPPLE -
1 DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH ERNEST MARKHAM -
1 GENERAL SIKORSKY -
2 MULTI-BLUE -
2 THE PRESIDENT -
1 VENOSA VIOLACEA -
1 Niobe.
Then there were a few changes a couple switched out for other plants and I gave away some to Mom, Daughter and DIL.
What I kept was marked
MULTI-BLUE
VENOSA VIOLACEA
THE PRESIDENT
Ramona
When the Clematis marked Ramona first opened I thought no way it's way too dark to be Ramona but over time it definitely lightened up. So I don't really know what it is but boy it sure is pretty. It's part of that new lamppost bed we put in this year. The old Clematis that has been growing there for years was ID as The President and the other one planted out there was marked the Multi-Blue which it definitely is. I had one marked Venosa Violacea there too but switched it out for a Snow Queen that I picked up at a local nursery.
Here is a pic of the Multi-Blue after it dropped it's primary petals.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Part of my grouping on the back deck. Heartleaf Ice Plant,

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Crozet, VA

Gita, I made note to take a picture of the Angel Wing Begonia that you sent me last year. Thank you so much for such detailed care instructions. I also took a picture of the tomato plants and will try to post both pics today, or at least soon.

Ruby

I finally produced a yellow Datura flower- this thing must be seven inches long!

Thumbnail by sallyg

here's the size of the plant, which I've fertilized and sytemic-insecticidized, compared to a Stella D'Oro

Thumbnail by sallyg

These little white flowers are one plant of Brent's scabiosa- been blooming for weeks already, no sign of stopping, nice with the dark leaves behind.

Thumbnail by sallyg

now I know I'll never get a datura bloom this season....my little plants are smaller than your bloom sally!

I started coleus from seed this year and have them here and there throughout the beds. They are like jewels in the garden border, I'm going to do it every year now.

gita, your theory makes sense :) I just did something with that theory in mind; I cut a few springs of a yellow butterfly bush plant for Ruby and snipped off any buds so the plant can, hopefully, concentrate on getting some roots. Although I could see it starting to instantly wilt....who knows what the outcome will be. She had no luck trying to grow the yellow buddleia from seed, I guess the seeds are sterile.

Thumbnail by wind
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

wind,

A few years ago, when I was new to rooting Brugmansia cuttings, there was this HUGE discussion going on about rooting anything by the "bubbler system". I thinlk it works especially good on woodier cuttings.

Go to Walmart where all the aquarium/pet supplies are and buy a small bubbler stone, a small motor to run it, a package of the vinyl tubing, a "splitter", if you intend to run more than one bubbler container. For the container, a cut-off, clear plastic gallon bottle of some kind will do. I leave the handle on for easy moving. I like the gallon bottles Arizona Tea comes in. They are very strong!
Pour some water to about 3"-4" deep in it and add maybe 1/4 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide.
Soak your bubbler stone at least 1/2 hr. before using it, or or will float.
Put your cuttings in this and let it bubble away. Iff the stone still wants to float, weigh it down with something. Change the water as needed--maybe every 4 days or so. Always add the H2O2...
Everyone that uses this system swears by it! Things DO root very quickly! I used it on my Brug cuttings about 4 years ago. Within days--the ends made these white bumps from which roots will grow.
You can go to the Brugmansia Forum and search for "Bubbler" and read up on it. I think it has been discussed on other rooting forums too--like, maybe, the Propagatio Forum?
I have NO idea on what page it would be by now!!!!

I know I took pictures when I used it, but have no clue where they are....I looked....

Gita

interesting info gita...I hope Ruby reads this too

if her sprigs don't take, this is an option

of course buying a plant is an option too, but not nearly as much fun!

I would like to try that technique with this Firecracker bush. It does have woody stems and it was impossible for me to figure out how to propagate a few cuttings for a DGer here.

Thumbnail by wind
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

wind,

Just from your picture, it looks like there is a lot of soft, new growth. I believe on these kind of shrubs, you take cuttings when the fresh, green growth starts to harden off. Actual woody stems may not root by the cutting method. You may have to go to air-layering.

On my Camellia, I was told to take cuttings about this time of year when the new growth was starting to harden off--but not yet woody.

By the way, wind, I went ti the Brug Forum and where it says "Search Forums" I put in Bubbler rooting--and all kinds of Posts came up. You can do that too--and settle back for a lot of reading.
The good part of these Posts is that there is ALWAYS some total "newbie" and then all these people are more than willing to start step by step on how it is done.

Happy hunting......Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I saw something the other day can't remember if it was here on the articles page or where? But they talked about putting your cutting in a potato and burying it. The article called it a potato sling and it said it was a particularly good way to root woody-stem plants.
I remember those bubbler threads, too. I think there is a pretty good one in the Propagation Forum with pictures and all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.